dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2006-09-29 17:37:27: The film industry is in Washington DC with a new study, trying to convince lawmakers of the irreparable harm film piracy does to the American economy, reports the Washington Post. ..

prev · 1 · 2
looser
join:2001-02-04
La Mesa, CA

1 recommendation

looser

Union Buster's

I worked on sets, both movie and Tv and I'm here to tell you that most of jobs have gone to Vancouver, B.C. as well as Australia and other areas in the last 20 yrs that I Know of, and that a lot of other set jobs has gone to outside contractors "no-union", they are called 2 gator jobs. This outsorcing of jobs was going on long before the internet was what it is now, so all you arm chair quarterbacks posting how pirate's killed the movie industry is so far off base it's unreal, unless of course you busted ass all day running crates. Then you you would know that cost cutting comes from the top down, faster cheaper sound familiar? I would say about all jobs in Americe are facing the same thing, but because of pirates I would say,ya right whatever you say there big guy.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Re: Union Buster's

I would tend to agree... all industry will ALWAYS move to where they can make a larger profit. Southern California is WAYY to expensive for most business other than sales. As a Canadian living in So. Cal, the prices here run most businesses out of state and country.
As far as business lost... they didn't account in for the businesses that gained from this sort of thing. Security companies (tech), lawyers (and there's lots of them), and many 'outsourced' companies.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to looser

Premium Member

to looser
said by looser:

I worked on sets, both movie and Tv and I'm here to tell you that most of jobs have gone to Vancouver, B.C. as well as Australia and other areas in the last 20 yrs that I Know of
I work near the movie district in Toronto, Canada, and they are getting very little work these days, all because of the exchange rate. It was cheap to make movies/shows here when our dollar was weak, now that its 90c to the US dollar, they're pulling out.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

Re: Union Buster's

Since the very beginning the movie industry has been a cut-throat affair. Studios screwing actors, directors, writers and craft people. Each group trying to get a bite out of each other, back stabbing, political black listing, towering egos, and crooked money. for large part of the stateside movie industry history it was run almost like organised crime, indeed in the 30's some of the studios had mobsters as executives and money people. When ever you see a 1930's and 40's RKO pictures production keep in mind the K in RKO stands for Kennedy, as in Joseph Kennedy, the Petrarch of the Kennedy family, who got rich as part of the Irish mafia bootlegging during Prohibition. Enron should have used the book keepers for the studios they have taken art of cooking the books to a advanced stage. With their help Enron would still be in business today.

aszule03
You Only Live Once
Premium Member
join:2000-07-11
Spokane, WA

aszule03

Premium Member

funny

This is so funny to steal or not to steal. I actually buy my movies when I can afford it. I also dwn load some. But what do you know I have dwn loaded and liked it so much I went to the theater to watch it. Other times I did not have the time or the money so I rented it. Lol I have even bought movies that I dwn loaded off the net why because what you can dwn load is not as good of quality that you can buy. I like to hve the cases and the extra stuff. I even have a blockbuster online account that way I can watch more movies. I have not dwn loaded one in a while now because nothing looks good to me so I rent ones I hav dwn loaded through blockbuster so I can get my Dolby digital and DTS sound on my 5.1 system and so I get a better picture. At least I know a good movie to watch when there is no good ones being released. To top things off I never owned a movie or a music cd till after I started dwn loading. Then I wanted a real copy. Oh and by the way I do not burn my movie dwn loads what a waste of good media. I would rather buy it and rip it so I can put the original in a safe spot. As for music my girlfriend dwn loads that and I tell her if she feels she needs to burn it to cd she should go buy it rip it then delete the dwn loaded copy and burn the good rip (320kbs vs 128-192kbs) from the cd she bought and put that in her so so if it gets broken into she does not loose her licence to listen to it and then the copy becomes illegal oh sorry I forgot fair rights says you can only copy to hard drive not other media so I guess we are all law breakers and we can even steal stuff we by. So what was the point of this again
aszule03

aszule03

Premium Member

Re: funny

I also delete my movies after I watch them I hate to wast HD space
jsouth
Jsouth
join:2000-12-12
Wichita, KS

jsouth

Love it

I love it how the same studios complain about how they are losing soo much money but they have equipment out that will panders rights to the so-called pirates hands. If they are so worried about piracy they should lock down their equipment they sell and make it incompatible with Mp3's etc. Of course they won't they know where the money is. Also it's not just that but actors salaries as well. They could afford all those jobs if they just paid the actors less. Wouldn't that make the actors go else where and isn't the actors part of what draws the crowd? No to the first part especially if the MPAA on a whole agreed upon a salary cap, and yes the actors do draw the crowd in, but if they didn't have a choice on pay they would still work.

DreamWraith
Premium Member
join:2004-04-07
Mount Vernon, WA

DreamWraith

Premium Member

QFT

QFT
said by KrK:

A lot of people who copy or download movies do so for one reason... because it is FREE or nearly so.

The assumption that a copy equals a lost retail sale has always been fatally flawed, whether it be in Music, Movies, or software.

Simply put: If copying or downloading was let's say PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE it doesn't mean that Hollywood's profits would soar by hundreds of millions. It means that people would just make do with much less JUNK then they have now.

In other words, if someone doesn't want to spend $19.95 on a DVD they aren't going to do it! Just because they were able to download a copy or burn a copy doesn't mean that they ever were going to pay that $19.95.

It's always been, and will continue to be, a fatally flawed assumption.

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

blah

blah blah blah the broken record keeps on playing. all pun intended they need to change thier tune and find a way to be profitable in a changing economy and the courts should not be their new source of income

SixSpeed
join:2001-12-24
USA

SixSpeed

Pirated does not = lost sale.

So do they assume that every pirated movie would have otherwise been purchased? LOL!!! What a bunch of crap.

I personally do not go to the movies anymore nor do I buy pre released or new DVD's because they are a RIPOFF. I'll wait a few months until they are $9.99, then I might buy one.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Re: Pirated does not = lost sale.

said by SixSpeed:

So do they assume that every pirated movie would have otherwise been purchased? LOL!!! What a bunch of crap.
Well thats the kind of bullshit they like to feed us, and put up overblown numbers. I dont get it. Everyone in the movie/music industry is well off, those filthy rich bastards just want to get richer.
ZippyDSM
join:2005-02-13
Chattanooga, TN

ZippyDSM

Re: Pirated does not = lost sale.

the trouble here is they fudge thier numbers like the corporation they are,you don't lose money with every thing shared at the most you lose money on a 10th of the things shared,untill they stop fudging the numbers and doing things unrealistically I refuse to listen to what they have to say...
SamOwens
join:2006-09-30
Birmingham, MI

SamOwens

So What

With all thew Crap fed to everyone by these slugs I don't care.

Sam
WangFubar
join:2003-10-02
Vancouver, WA

WangFubar

It has to be someones fault

MPAA and RIAA have both seen these days comming. Casette tapes enabled people to record music that they didnt pay for, oh ouch... bootleggers. VHS allowed people to copy movies, oh no.. pirates. This isn't a new trend, they have seen this for over 20 years. What this is, is a battle to control content distribution and the profits that can be had with the control of when and how people have access. The fat times for recording and movie companies are gone. They can whimper all they want, they had their turn at the as-much-as-you-can-charge buffet.

Just keep pumping out quantity over quality, then blame flat profits on theft.

In the mean time people are finding better entertainment options.
prev · 1 · 2