dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2006-11-15 18:30:28: As we mentioned yesterday, Tivo is unveiling a plethora of new functionality aimed at letting users move video from the PC and the Internet to your Tivo. Engadget has hands-on impressions and screenshots of this new functionality. ..

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

I LIKE!

Now I can easily transfer movies over and watch them. Sweet!

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

1 edit

ninjatutle

ReplayTv

nvm
chemaupr
join:2005-06-06
Alexandria, VA

chemaupr

If you like it get a Media Center PC

Nothing new here. I can do this with my MCE PC and 360, in addition my MCE PC serve as a DVR with (4 tunners- 2 of those HD Over the air).

AHHH and I do not have to pay no one for DVR services.... all free (plus cost of pc)

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

You can actually find 4 different shows that come on at the same time, that are worthy to watch?
robewhitener
join:2001-06-22
Asheville, NC

robewhitener

Tivo Functionality

I really wish that DirecTivo would be capable of something like that, and maybe progressing to being a streaming media machine in it's own..
chemaupr
join:2005-06-06
Alexandria, VA

chemaupr to ninjatutle

to ninjatutle

Re: If you like it get a Media Center PC

not. however, I use a 360 and xbox as media center extenders to watch live tv. If they are both in use and I w(or wife)want to record anything I still have two available tuners to do so. And can pause or rwd the show I'm watching if I need to.

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

Sounds good.

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto
join:2001-02-10
USA

bigunk to robewhitener

to robewhitener

Re: Tivo Functionality

Agreed. I hate when I go to look at DirecTV DVR boxes, only to find ports and stuff labled as "reserved for future". I fear I bought one of the last DirecTivo boxes that will be made. The Hughes HR10-250. The homegrown DTV DVR box is no good in my book.

Now if someone can make a smart tuner card I can drop into a PC for sat tuning, I could build a box that will give me what I want, like chemaupr has done, only using DirecTV as the source. Include a card slot so I can still be legit and pay for what I get (although free is always better). I can't stand cable, and AT$T is rolling out their triple (quad?) play Project Lightspeed in my area. Great, another set-top box. DirecTV is my last hope, but they have the cableco mentality.

It's late. I'm tired. I'm hitting the rack.

sbhusted
join:2000-05-14
Bethlehem, PA

sbhusted

That is the biggest thing I'm waiting for... a tuner that works with SAT. I've had my DirecTV pumped through my ATI All-In-Wonder Card via S-Video for awhile, and it's OK to use to watch a little, etc. But using the PC as a 'recorder' isn't that great when you can't program channels, all you can do is set a time and pre-set it on the correct channel. Not really that functional.

I haven't gone HD yet either because I was worried about DirecTV dumping to MPEG-4 and having a worthless HD DirecTivo... but who knows when they might make the switch. Might still be worth picking up a HD DirecTivo from weaknees.

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto
join:2001-02-10
USA

bigunk

I wonder if a PC recorder can control a sat receiver via infrared? I know a stand-alone TIVO can.

I got mine from Weaknees. Good bunch of folks. I bought it because I screwed up an upgrade on my non-HD unit. 'Course, I immediately voided the warranty on this new one by throwing in a second drive, but hey, it's all good, right?