Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2006-12-15 11:08:43: Op/Ed Verizon shares are falling, and it's believed that investor nervousness about Fios deployment investment is the reason. ..

prev · 1 · 2
Seaboogers

join:2004-11-01
Sarasota, FL

FIOS is DOOMED!

Why you may ask....

Because Edward Nigma will be releasing the "Box".

There will no longer need to be ANY physical connections or even computers because the internet and TV will be beamed directly to your brain!!!

:-D

Yes this was pure sarcasm...movies buffs should get it though!
jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD

Re: FIOS is DOOMED!

Be careful. This guy is probably being paid huge kickbacks amounts by the cable company lobbyists. His article is very biased.

Verizon does not have a choice if it wants to effectively compete with the cable companies. Verizon cannot compete effectively by just keeping its old legacy copper network. Verizon as well as all the other telephone companies(including AT & T) are loosing thousands of customers daily due to these massive discount triple play packages by the cable companies. For example, Comcast offers its phone, TV and internet packages for $99 a month for a year.

Fiber and FIOS is the only alternative for Verizon at this point. Forget about the investors. Verizon is the only company with the guts to look long term. Its current FIOS internet and FIOS TV are a more robust product and anything out there right now and it is constantly growing.

The only thing holding Verizon back right now is its inability to massively speed up the build out of its fios network to make it more available to areas especially where there is already a franchise agreement in place.

When FIOS TV comes to town in my area, I will dump Directv in a heartbeat. It will be a while since my CO located in Landover, Maryland is not active for FIOS as of yet.

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

New market?

How does going into a completely new market hurt the bottom line? They didn't sell tv services, and now they do. It's a new source of revenue. One that will definitely outlast phones. These share holders are retarded.
rhard49

join:2001-04-12
Merrick, NY

FIO'S Demise

If anything will kill them its there own internal ineptness, ask any FIOS Static IP user who is getting turned down for video service because there computers can't deal with a business and residence at the same address.
devnuller

join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

"Fiber" is Marketing more than Technology

Fios has been running fiber down concentrated homes past areas so they can lower the perception of the cost / home numbers. They want to wait until investors stop asking this question before they expand.

Over building a network is VERY expensive and they don't want everyone to see the real costs of the build out.

It is all about timing... HFC technologies have plenty of capacity in them and the investment / costs are made. You don't need FTTH price tag to get the performance 99.9% of the user base wants.

For all you fiber bigots that say this is a must have, just remember when 10baseT was predicted never to go faster than 10M

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

Re: "Fiber" is Marketing more than Technology

If all you are talking about is the internets you may be right, but unfortunately they are trying to offer tv services. DSL of course barely cuts it for a single tv household, let alone 5 or 6 tvs. Plus landline phones are on the demise. If phone companies don't expand to tv now, they are going to be really hurting in the future. But investors are just stupid and ignore this fact.
Nuts65

join:2006-04-27
Forest, OH

Since When Is $57 Million a Year in Savings A Bad Thing

At the end of the third quarter, Verizon said they had over 522,000 FIOS customers. Earlier this month they estimated a savings of $110 per year for each customer they switch from copper to fiber. This does not include any profits that they get from the services they provide of this fiber.
BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: Since When Is $57 Million a Year in Savings A Bad Thing

said by Nuts65:

At the end of the third quarter, Verizon said they had over 522,000 FIOS customers. Earlier this month they estimated a savings of $110 per year for each customer they switch from copper to fiber. This does not include any profits that they get from the services they provide of this fiber.
But that wasn't a savings and stock gain today. It's all about today ! Quick some one give me my 2 cent gain today so I can buy that extra 12 pack of soda at the supermarket.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"
Nuts65

Forest, OH

Just like some of these investors, you thinking short term and small. Figure it out the savings when they get a third of their customers switched over.
BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Nuts65:

Just like some of these investors, you thinking short term and small. Figure it out the savings when they get a third of their customers switched over.
Ahh sarcasm ! eh !
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

ftthz
If love can kill hate can also save

join:2005-10-17

Day Traders

would be the ones who are only looking for immeidate gains ... but people who are in it for the long ride should find like telephone once the infulstructure is built it'll be there for a while and pay for itself over time + revunue

Cobra9777
Pain Is Just Weakness Leaving The Body

join:2002-09-28
Denton, TX

FiOS fan, but...

I'm a FiOS customer and a big fan of the technology. I like Verizon's prospects for the future and agree with much of what's posted above with regard to short-sightedness.

However, I also believe that there will be exponential improvements in wireless broadband technology in the coming decade. I'm sure that some long-term investors see this as a competitive threat to FiOS because the deployment and maintenance costs per subscriber will be much lower, and people can take their service wherever they go.

I know... a lot of things need to happen before these wireless technologies pose a real threat. But we're talking about a timeframe of 10-15 years. And if wireless technology becomes a viable alternative before FiOS deployment is completed (to any meaningful degree), I'm not sure I would want to be a Verizon stockholder at that time.
Nuts65

Forest, OH

Re: FiOS fan, but...

Actually, I think that would help verizon. With their wireless network, they could offer a video, phone, internet, wireless cell/internet bundle that I don't think anyone could match.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Good things come to those who wait.

That was from a fortune cookie probably two years ago.

Obliteration
Premium
join:2005-09-18
Somewhere

Comcast hefty user gains... Yeah, it's a monopoly

What a damn surprise, ehh? Monopolies getting more users. Even if you have garbage service customers don't have much choice. CTA in Chicago anyone? Comcast in Chicago anyone? Yep...

This is the basis of Economics. Monopolies can nearly charge whatever price they want unless the government steps in and regulates them...with no real choice obviously its user base will eventually grow as more users cave in and surrender their money.
--
"The constitution is just a goddamn piece of paper."-George W. Bush, Nov. 2005

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

1 recommendation

Yeah ok

FiOS is the future, period.
edcannady

join:2006-12-04
90717-1607

Just Wanted to Add Some Information

According to an installer from Pacific Bell, the biggest problem phone companies now face is the not the greed of the phone companies, rather the greed of the cities where they intend to install fiber! Various cities now wish big bucks to upgrade copper with fiber. The telephone companies would love to upgrade. Right now, copper can change sized from 22 gauge to 20 gauge to 26 gauge several times in a 1 mile length! Just thought you would like to know. Best of the season to all, Ed

JaM4150
Premium
join:2005-10-27
Matamoras, PA

Let's see if they'll...

... still be saying this now that the NJ PUC has passed a statewide franchise for FIOS.
OB Kenobi

join:2005-05-29
Brooklyn, NY

Copper is so 20th century

No doubt FUD spread by the cable companies, not "investors."

When the entire civilized world is migrating towards fiber lines it's kind of silly to claim that Fios is doomed.

Wait until fiber becomes standard and investors start complaining about how cable is doomed. Even if they increase speeds to near Fios levels, the prices cable companies are charging isn't going to cut it.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

FIOS isnt unique in the long run.

You invest money NOT to make it 10-15 years down the road. Especially those that do it for a living. They need to pay their mortgage TODAY.

Long sighted investors will come out ahead on this one. But all the speculation IS warranted as FIOS or FTTH will not realize its full potential for quite sometime. And as Dadkins stated, other MSO's and even MSO's that havent entered the field yet will also have moved on and expanded their offerings and technology.

What all the SKY IS FALLING is about most likely is not knowing what competition for the same technology will exist when FIOS is a main competitor.

We all know most any MSO can invest in their plant and surpass Verizons FIOS in a virtual hearbeat. At that point Verizon will NOT be the only FTTH offering and its value will be much less or on par with its competitors.

At this point taking into account the big picture and not all the "FIOS is saving us all from big cable!!" all the speculation IS warranted. I dont think FIOS is going away or failing.. I just think its competitive edge is on the line in the long run.
--
CableFAQ.org/Technicians Unplugged

leggomymetamucil

@verizon.net

Re: FIOS isnt unique in the long run.

Most customers are not interested in the technology that delivers these services. Real-world experiences translate into value for the consumer. Cable companies offer a slight short term advantage on price (low introductory rates which lock in consumers for 1 year) -- but lack full implementation on Quality of Service. Telcos lack infrastructure, and bottom-line price competitiveness in their triple play bundles. Tacked on franchise fees and phone taxes can make FIOS a deal killer. For some, the decision might "opt" for low introductory-rate cableco triple play. For others, the apparently limitless broadband might inspire the 'youtube' addicted (just an example)to seek a provider who doesn't cap downloads which happens from time to time on cable modems.