dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2006-12-18 09:12:34: FCC Chief Kevin Martin blames rising cable rates on local municipalities, citing that they "obstruct and in some cases completely derail" new attempts to bring video competition to an area. ..

Nightwchtr
join:2001-09-10
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

Nightwchtr

Smells Fishy

Sounds like a good plan but like all things that start out good will probably not be good for consumers in the long run only time will tell.

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk

Premium Member

Re: Smells Fishy

Yup...Another back office sweetheart deal for selling out this country.....whats new! They will tell us after the deal..... PLEASE

Vodka2
join:2005-12-20
Sacramento, CA

Vodka2

Re: Smells Fishy

Sod em all. Get a C-band dish and a-la-carte. :-D

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Nightwchtr

Premium Member

to Nightwchtr
Why do they need it to be secret until after the vote? No need to keep it secret unless there's something to hide.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

FCC Sanity?

Wow... for once they are right!

It is indisputably, irrefutably true that the biggest obstacle to next-generation broadband/TV service deployments are pesky local governments which put up inane build-out requirements for providers. Like any commodity, a lack of competition leads directly to high prices.

The only real solution here is for voters to get on the ball and vote out local government officials which continue to stand in way of progress. The last thing we need is more Federal bureaucracy in what really should remain a state/local issue.

qdemn7
Smurf in My Loop
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Fort Worth, TX

qdemn7

Premium Member

Re: FCC Sanity?

I hope they put a stop to Munis asking for anything NOT having to do with BB/TV service. No Community Centers, no swimming pools, no more of the local politicians buying votes by saying "look what I got for you." And you shouldn't need more than about 10 Public access Channels either.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by qdemn7:

I hope they put a stop to Munis asking for anything NOT having to do with BB/TV service. No Community Centers, no swimming pools, no more of the local politicians buying votes by saying "look what I got for you." And you shouldn't need more than about 10 Public access Channels either.
I agree with you. And even 10 is about 8 more public access channels than are needed. 99% of the people NEVER even watch 1 public access channel.

qdemn7
Smurf in My Loop
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Fort Worth, TX

qdemn7

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

I agree with you. And even 10 is about 8 more public access channels than are needed. 99% of the people NEVER even watch 1 public access channel.
Very true, I was just being generous for a very large city, say over 5 million.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Few cities have more than 1 public access channel anyway.
If you are including government and educational channels, they have way high viewership than public access (nothing that would support a broadcast network, but still easily enough to justify their existence).
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to pnh102

to pnh102
quote:
Like any commodity, a lack of competition leads directly to high prices.
Which is why FIOS, DirecTV, Dish, and Comcast are roughly (within $5/mo) the same price for each other... Also the reason FIOS also raised rates this year.

Competition almost never guarantees low prices. It just makes you feel better about the price you pay. A panacea if you will.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by itguy05:

Which is why FIOS, DirecTV, Dish, and Comcast are roughly (within $5/mo) the same price for each other... Also the reason FIOS also raised rates this year.
Cable would have gone out of business if not for satellite TV, however. Had satellite not initially provided some sort of competition for cable TV, cable providers would not have offered new services like On Demand, DVRs, real high definition programming and the like.
said by itguy05:

Competition almost never guarantees low prices. It just makes you feel better about the price you pay. A panacea if you will.
Competition does allows you to play the providers against one another to get a better deal for yourself. Quite a few people have used with success the threat of moving from one provider to another as a means to get their current provider to continue a promotional rate where it would have otherwise expired.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

1 edit

RickNY

Premium Member

said by pnh102:

Cable would have gone out of business if not for satellite TV, however. Had satellite not initially provided some sort of competition for cable TV, cable providers would not have offered new services like On Demand, DVRs, real high definition programming and the like.
Are you sure thats what you meant? If a company exists without any competition, they have a better chance of prospering, not the other way around. If there was no competition, there would have been no reason for them to expand their service offerings, they would just have to keep raising the prices of their existing products.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by RickNY:

Are you sure thats what you meant?
Yes. There was a brief period a few years back when satellite TV was killing cable. I remember when Comcast was offering satellite TV subscribers $400 in discounts to become cable subscribers.

However, cable now offers more of the types of services that satellite TV offers. If cable had not made these improvements, those providers would have continued to lose customers to satellite.

Of course, if there were no satellite TV providers, cable would still be making money hand over fist but their product offerings would be worse than what they currently offer.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to pnh102

to pnh102
quote:
I highly doubt that. HD programming followed the trend in big screen HD sets. I'd say that one was driven more by consumers and CE companies vs competition.

The rest is nice, but more like a natural evolution. DVR's were the result of Tivo coming on the scene and the CableCo's realizing that they could make $9.99 off Tivo-like functionality.
quote:
Competition does allows you to play the providers against one another to get a better deal for yourself. Quite a few people have used with success the threat of moving from one provider to another as a means to get their current provider to continue a promotional rate where it would have otherwise expired.
And many more are told "see you". And if you do switch, it's often for a short time before your rates go up. I have been with both sat providers and now comcast. After all the rate increases on sat, Comcast is roughly (within $5-10) what I was paying DirecTV.

Fatal Vector
join:2005-11-26

Fatal Vector

"After all the rate increases on sat, Comcast is roughly (within $5-10) what I was paying DirecTV."

Which is the current marketing technique. This will also happen with fiber in a few years. They will just set the prices so close to each other that it will not matter who you get service from. Standard price fixing collusion.

braynes
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Waterville, ME

braynes to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
"Competition does allows you to play the providers against one another to get a better deal for yourself. Quite a few people have used with success the threat of moving from one provider to another as a means to get their current provider to continue a promotional rate where it would have otherwise expired."

Not where I live they say ok sorry good luck,bye-bye.
Bruce
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to itguy05

to itguy05
Im not sure where you live, but if I had chose cable instead of Dishnetwork and received the same programing I would be paying about $21 a month more with cable.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by Skippy25:

Im not sure where you live, but if I had chose cable instead of Dishnetwork and received the same programing I would be paying about $21 a month more with cable.
You are getting the shaft from your cableco. Here Comcast is about $5-10 more than Dish/Directv.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Comcast was _much_ more expensive to start than DirecTv

1 tuner Directv = $39.99

Analog service on Comcast was $50.40 (no standard basic available in my zip )

Digital was $60.10 for 1 tuner.

I have 3 tuners on DirecTv with the 'plus' package and pay $57/month after all taxes and fees.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

said by en102:

Comcast was _much_ more expensive to start than DirecTv

1 tuner Directv = $39.99

Analog service on Comcast was $50.40 (no standard basic available in my zip )

Digital was $60.10 for 1 tuner.

I have 3 tuners on DirecTv with the 'plus' package and pay $57/month after all taxes and fees.
Of course, you realize that if you had no standard basic then you were not protected by a municipal franchise agreement. That is another drawback of dropping franchise agreements... the telcos will not have to carry a basic package (which means to rate regulation).
bbenso1
join:2004-11-28
Baltimore, MD

bbenso1 to itguy05

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Umm, a panacea is a cure-all. That is, a solution to all problems, cure for all diseases. I don't think that's what you meant, was it?

»dictionary.reference.com ··· /panacea
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl

Not to mention I wouldn't call, in any way, the present oligopoly that exists in the communications delivery market, a competitive market at all. So it seems that OP has expressed several logical fallacies.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to bbenso1

to bbenso1
quote:
Umm, a panacea is a cure-all.
Yes. Everyone thinks competition is the cure all for high prices and innovation. What they fail to realize is that it is rarely the cure all. It's basically "who do you want to pay you $xxx to?"

They always think competition will result in massively lower rates.

Fatal Vector
join:2005-11-26

Fatal Vector

Fact is, rates NEVER go down for regular service for ANY reason other than a limited promo, or, gov/court order.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to pnh102

to pnh102
I agree that competition needs to happen as quickly as possible. However, we should question national decisions as they are most likely a compromise that is good for some and bad for others.

Cable competition claims that local governments are impeding progress. But I naturally question that claim since there are always two sides to an argument. Principally, I believe competition only works when it's offered to all residents of a local community.

In 1998 SBC (now ATT) offered DSL to select residents of my area who were within a 3 mile radius of their central offices. Year after year they have promised those too far would be offered DSL "real soon now". It's nearly 2007 and they have NOT delivered on that promise. Should I believe that their television service deployment will be different?

What the government (not just the FCC) should do is ban utility taxes that are not directly tied to regulatory cost recovery. Given this, I seriously doubt local municipalities would be able to justify their current utility-based income schemes. Don't you agree that it's silly to pay a tax to your local municipality based on your electricity, gas or cable bill? I think it's insane.

I understand that local cities without significant retail development cannot operate on retail taxes. However, why not add an assessment to real estate taxes? This has to be more just than a utility consumption tax or do we believe that your ability to pay correlates with utility usage? While still not 100%, I think it's far more likely that someone owning more valuable property is able to pay more taxes.

In exchange for a national franchise the FCC should mandate reasonable deployment timelines to prevent the same thing that happened with DSL in my area.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

I agree with you that certain taxes should be eliminated. However, it is the universal buildout requirement which has doomed many providers from wanting to do business in many localities.

In nearly every jurisdiction that has tried to mandate universal service, the end result was a success of sorts in that everyone got no service whatsoever.

Internet service is a for-profit industry. It should not be compelled to provide service to areas it does not deem profitable.
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl

Property taxes have also been pushed to their limit. (at least in the Northeast and on the coasts) Not to mention they exclude constituents who may be large users of said utilities; namely renters.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by Ahrenl:

Property taxes have also been pushed to their limit.
Heh... keep dreaming

Government will always find ways to raise "high" property taxes. In MD they just raise it at the state level. In Philadelphia they simply re-assess your house at a ridiculously high price so that you pay more at the existing rate. One way or another, they will keep raising it.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to Ahrenl

to Ahrenl
As a landlord I can tell you with certainty that those renters are paying property taxes via monthly rent checks. You don't think we just eat those expenses, do you? Property taxes are one of if not the largest expenses of owning rental property.

RealityBot
@bellsouth.net

RealityBot to pnh102

Anon

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

Internet service is a for-profit industry. It should not be compelled to provide service to areas it does not deem profitable.
And for that reason, America will always lag behind other nations technologically...
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to pnh102

to pnh102
I agree. Internet access and television service are not rights. For that matter, phone, electricity, sewer and water should not be a rights but a privileges. However twisted their logic, I suspect some states probably have laws that make it a right. I'm not sure how the constitution enforces this but maybe they amended the constitution. Regardless, that's a whole different discussion.

I believe every business should have the privilege to pick its customers and provide whatever service it can based on profits. In my opinion, this is congruent with basic capitalism. However, whenever utilities are involved, both companies and the government are predisposed to involve legislative action to define, assist and govern fees. Generally this is caused by lack of true competition (oligopoly).

My bottom line belief: If some level of government is to provide an advantage to a particular company, then I believe that government has an obligation to ensure the advantage eventually provides the product or service to a majority of its constituents. And....eventually should be reasonable and not 10+ years.

•••

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina
Yes it's not fair. Those with more money can afford more energy efficient stuff, homes, and improvements while poorer people tend to have what they can afford which may be less energy efficient. This shifts some of the tax burden on those who really need a break nowdays.

phattieg
join:2001-04-29
Winter Park, FL

phattieg to rradina

to rradina
Competition this, that, WHATEVER! I don't see how it could possibly help. Lets think here, big company, versus start-up/smaller company. Smaller company needs overhead, and can't get it without charging the same as the big guys...
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

1 recommendation

moonpuppy (banned) to pnh102

to pnh102
How would you feel if there was no franchising agreement needed and both the telco and cable company decided not to service your area. Add to that, they would prevent anyone else from servicing your area under the "promise" to service you one day.

•••••••••
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

inane build-out requirements for providers.
I think they would consider it doing what they were elected to do: look out for the welfare of their citizens. They represent all their citizens, not just those considered "desirable" by the telcos. Federal laws have largely removed the rights of munis to say anything about cable rates; just about the only thing left that they have a say in is build-out.

What Martin, et al, is saying is that it is better that only a few have service available to them, with a bit lower prices due to competition, than to have the service available to everyone, albeit at a bit higher price. In other words, there will be winners and losers, and those on the losing end will just have to deal with it. I think the closer you get to the local level, the tougher it is for that to seem like a good idea.
chemaupr
join:2005-06-06
Alexandria, VA

chemaupr

"build-out requirements."

really, limit "build-out requirements." That, if anything, is the only benefit I find on franchise agreements. Well, I guess people leaving a feet away from what they provider feels is profitable know will have to stick a out a couple of thousands to get service/
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

2 recommendations

nasadude

anybody's fault but his

FCC Chief Kevin Martin blames rising cable rates on local municipalities...

this is the same logic that blames the american people (or the press or the Iraqis) for the mess in Iraq.

It apparently hasn't occured to Martin that the reason we have no competition is the FCC keeps approving megamergers and deregulating monopolistic industries.

•••
cbrain (banned)
join:2000-05-21
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

Why now?

Cable rates have increased above the rate of inflation for as long as I can remember. I agree with his observations and goal, but I wonder about the timing of addressing this problem as the telcos want to enter the market.

•••

franchisescandal
@verizon.net

franchisescandal

Anon

video tax?

you can look at it two ways, either a greedy municpality.. or a local cable company looking for job security, maybe a little of both. it's quite possible there may even be a truce between satellite and local cable companies to stop or slow down telco's entry into video. if telcos pass on these costs to the consumer, it's quite likely people will not buy video from them, backfiring on those franchise fees-- you can't GET what they don't COLLECT. a viscious circle whereby satellite and local cable monopolies win, which is to say despite the record number of 'settled' franchise agreements won by telcos, they aren't shy of passing on these costs to the end consumer. a reform must 'get at' a MAXIMUM determined value of concessions to a franchise without any possibilty of a waiver, with resonable adjustment for inflation. this is an up-hill holy grail because it's no secret that the telcos are flush with cash (fresh from mega merger) for their buildouts.

xerxes3642
join:2006-02-24
Saint Charles, MO

1 recommendation

xerxes3642

time limit

he wants to put a time limit on negotiations. If they don't finish a franchise with a local municipality in three months, they get to operate without an agreement. what will make the telco's just hold out until the time limit expires and then operate without a franchise anyway? This is a terrible proposal only benefiting at&t and not any consumers. don't believe their lies.

RayW
Premium Member
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT

RayW

Premium Member

That is not what was said last year

Did not the providers blame the higher rates on what they have to pay for certain mandatory channels like sports?

•••••••

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus

Please teach this in high school

Historically and logically, nearly any instance of the Federal government looking to usurp the powers of the state (or local municipality) is for the benefit of the few and not the many. Anyone that believes otherwise is history's fool.

••••••

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

price drop? never

the implication that no franchising system will lead to lower cable rates is b.s.

the simplest way to voice your disapproval is to stop giving the providers your money.

••••••••••
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Step in the right direction.

Finally , but why won't they disclose all the info ?

Id like to see national franchises but with good restrictions. And this goes for satellite providers as well.

- All promotions must be nation wide.
- All prices must be nation wide.
- All upgrades must also be done nation wide in a reasonable time line based upon an experts opinion on how long they should take and hard numbers.
- A standard $2 each month to your local government. ( Your city and state share this ! )
- carry local access channels ( even if low quality just send at least 2 of these so people can see their snow emergency plans and such for their city. obviously satellite providers don't need to do this. but it would be nice. or cycle them in with locals for the area. One channel carries 12 cities. Something like that pack em in make them useful instead of just constantly scrolling content and crappy pictures of the city )
- Provide discounted rates for the "triple play" to local schools and educational institutes. ( even the big carrier class links )
- Cap on the % they can raise rates every year.

There are some other things I can't think of at the moment Id like added in there as well.

•••
Eric Martin
join:2005-06-19

Eric Martin

How ironic

The FCC did nothing to lower broadband prices which can also be used for video.
squid7
Premium Member
join:2006-09-02

squid7

Premium Member

Certainly true here on SoCal

After seeing a few Fountain Valley meetings where FV local gov't puts up roadblock after roadblock it's no wonder why Huntington Beach has FIOS on virtually every street while FV doesn't. The greed of local gov't can get excessive and does stand in the way of deployment.

That said the whores at the FCC are rarely the answer.

•••
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned)

?

Which is why i have DirecTV
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

wireless the last few feet?

For the most part, satellite providers avoid local franchise fees as they are a national provider.. but were forced into local channel scheme kicking and screaming with "must carry" for distant networks. Now they changed the game and said "NO" to thousands of consumers by making the distant networks stricter. No franchise system makes cable rates cheaper.. in my opinion, it ADDS to the already sky-high rates.. and yearly increases are a fact of life. High cable-tv bills are the last thing people should be worried about in the BIG picture.. have you gone to the GAS STATION sometime this year?
If cable companies did that to customers, they really wouldn't have any to speak of.. or they'd pirate the crap out it(more than they do now), after all, it is "content" which is digital... Rriiight?

Besides, do you really need 12 news channels (24/7/365)? Or an internet broadcast blog 'pod cast every hour or so.. No, but your forced to buy it ALL or nothing primarily!