dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-01-15 18:33:02: Users in our Mac forum point to this report that says Core 2 Duo-based Mac owners who want to unlock the currently inactive 802.11n functionality embedded in their machines will have to fork over $5 to Apple in order to do so. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

2 edits

M A R S

Premium Member

Lame

Now it will be found all over the net for free. This is a dumb idea. One of the worst.

And this is the reason why they must do this, »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa ··· xley_Act ?

pjhofmann
join:2000-08-22
Argyle, TX

2 recommendations

pjhofmann

Re: Lame

Complete BS!

So, by their account I can never get updated software (for a piece of hardware) with new features from a company w/o being charged for it? Sorry to say it's been done before and will be done in the future. Come up with another excuse Apple, this one doesn't fly.

Call a spade and spade here and say we want to charge you for it, that's all.

pjhofmann
Stumbles
join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Stumbles to M A R S

to M A R S
Yeah it's lame all right ...... on Apples part

chanur
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26
Colorado Springs, CO

chanur to M A R S

Premium Member

to M A R S
Anyone that buys this pile of Bull from Apple, I have a bridge to sell.

If it was even remotely true, why not $1? $.01? Its a revenue measure, nothing else. Why they feel the need to make up excuses, I have no idea.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to M A R S

MVM

to M A R S
There's a Blue Room in the white house?

BDSsyndrome
@rogers.com

BDSsyndrome to M A R S

Anon

to M A R S
I do not get it...

If it is just software, then surely anyone could just make the "patch", no?

Besides, even when it is Apple's that is charging you money, it is still GWB's fault. Of course.

I mean everyone knows it is Halliburton who is behind the n-draft anyway.
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

93388818 (banned)

HMM

So because APPLE doesn't want to do the proper accounting, they're charging users for this?

Gimme a break.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

3 recommendations

russotto

Re: HMM

The problem isn't that they don't want to do the proper accounting. The problem is the way they'd have to account for it.

According to Apple's accountants, if they deliver a free new feature for an existing product, they can't book any of the revenue for that existing product until the time the new feature has been delivered. This is because the new feature is considered part of the existing product, hence the existing product isn't considered "delivered" until the new feature is delivered. Since they've already booked that revenue, they can't deliver the free new feature without risking a trip to Federal "PMITA" prison.

If they charge for it, they can consider it a separate product and there's no problem.

It's crazy enough to be true. Sarbanes-Oxley is a major albatross around the necks of every public company in the US.
haertig
join:2000-12-31
Broomfield, CO

haertig

So does this mean that Microsoft will need to charge a seperate Sarbanes-Oxley fee for Vista? After all, Vista unlocks a previously unadvertised feature of some hardware ... namely, draconian DRM restrictions.

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Jim Gurd to russotto

Premium Member

to russotto
said by russotto:

It's crazy enough to be true. Sarbanes-Oxley is a major albatross around the necks of every public company in the US.
True that.
Enlightener
join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX

1 recommendation

Enlightener to russotto

to russotto
Funny, this didn't seem to stop Microsoft from releasing the Fall Update to the XBOX 360 which enabled countless features.
Zak3056
join:2002-01-28
New Market, TN

Zak3056

said by Enlightener:

Funny, this didn't seem to stop Microsoft from releasing the Fall Update to the XBOX 360 which enabled countless features.
I'm not a console guy, so I may be mistaken, but don't you have to pay a subscription fee for xbox live to get those kind of updates?
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah

No, because Xbox Live Silver is free for every console, and it allows you to download the updates.

anonyy
@rr.com

anonyy to Enlightener

Anon

to Enlightener
Yeah, cedar park? Freezing my ass off in Round Rock.

Anyways, I guess since the xbox 360 is already advertised with including xbox live silver, the free one. And since xbox live silver is advertised as being able to update your system and whatnot, I guess they don't have to charge them? I don't know.
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

There's other ways they could've gotten around the $5 fee.

Hell, give the users back a "free" $5 itunes card, or do a rebate or something. By charging $5 for it without giving them anything but the firmware makes them look like greedy bastards. I'm sure there's proper accounting methods to follow, it's just that they don't want to go through the hassle.

tokevino
Rain
join:2001-12-03
AZ

tokevino

said by 93388818:

Hell, give the users back a "free" $5 itunes card, or do a rebate or something. By charging $5 for it without giving them anything but the firmware makes them look like greedy bastards. I'm sure there's proper accounting methods to follow, it's just that they don't want to go through the hassle.
Do you know how expensive for any company to run a rebate program? Charging $5 barely breaks even the costs of process the $5 revenue. Apple won't make much money of this (if any).

Of course, as a user you may have all kinds of reasons to get mad, but the new accounting rule is much less forgiving than a few angry customers in this case. Besides, some people are never happy about anything anyway...
backness
join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2

backness

or maybe just post the patch on the website and let the users download it as the users see fit as is the standard for the rest of the industry?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to 93388818

Premium Member

to 93388818
said by 93388818:

By charging $5 for it without giving them anything but the firmware makes them look like greedy bastards.
I couldn't have described apile (whoops i meant apple)any better.
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

I'll bet it just happens to get "leaked" and everything will be just fine.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

haha

LOL!

Darn should of gotten bids
ditka_b
Premium Member
join:2001-10-05
Barrington, IL

ditka_b

Premium Member

OH my goodness

A whopping 5.00 to enable somehting you did'nt know you bought. Pay it or DL it and please don't waste peoples time with 5.00 whinings please LOL

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta

Premium Member

Re: OH my goodness

Actually they knew they bought it but it was disabled and they are making them pay 5 dollars to activate it. Quite crappy in my opinion way to go Jobs.
ditka_b
Premium Member
join:2001-10-05
Barrington, IL

ditka_b

Premium Member

Re: OH my goodness

Specs listed at sale do not include "N" A-B and G only.
SInce this isnt a certified spec they may have been forced to agree not to activate it till later who knows. The rediculous part of this post is the 5.00. Mac users have been paying out the nose until recently and 5.00 is majorly trivial. 95% don't even need to pay it they don't have and may never have "N" routers.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

1 recommendation

Anonymous88

Premium Member

??

I wonder when the tool gets pirated will Apple be going after hosting sites?

Probably not since they don't do this because of the money?

LMAO

They charge this because they can since most Mac zealots won't mind.

XuhQshinR
join:2001-09-18
Bradenton, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

XuhQshinR

Whats the Problem? Just Drink Sing and Be Merry

Don't let it get ya down mate...Everybody...Sing A Long Now!

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot,
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho.

We extort, we pilfer, we filch, and sack,
Maraud and embezzle, and even high-jack,

We kindle and char, inflame and ignite,
We burn up the city, we're really a fright,

We're rascals, scoundrels, villans, and knaves,
We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs,

We're beggars and blighters, ne'er-do-well cads,
Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads,

Eventually Every Pirate Gets a Patch ... Just wonder which eye

T1 Rocky
join:2002-11-15
Dallas, TX

T1 Rocky

I don't get it?

If apple is going to make money off this move then they have to charge more than $5! $5 won't cover the cost of receiving the call, taking down the number and running the credit card much less talking the customer through enabling the port.

I think Apple is telling the truth when they blaim this on SOCs. There's a number of companies who have spent billions doing a reverse IPO and taking the company private in order to not have live under SOCs rules.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Remember the Clinton Defense Fund?

This might just be the Steve Jobs Criminal Defense Fund, disguised as a new USF (Univ Sucker Fee).

NV
Noah Vail Quickly Runs Away as an angry mob wielding torches, wearing black robes emblazoned with shiny apples pursues in a fit of Mac Rage.

brooklynman4
join:2004-09-07
Brewster, NY

brooklynman4

Maybe??

That's just the beginning how about the iphone ??
sageb0
join:2002-01-16
Canada

sageb0

Re: Maybe??

$500 for an iPhone? thievery.

goober is better.

»goober.com
Shark_615
join:2006-01-17
Pickering, ON

Shark_615

Wow

Amazing I can imagine the comment board if say Dell or Microsoft did this but if Apple does it then its ok...

furlonium
join:2002-05-08
Allentown, PA

furlonium

Re: Wow

said by Shark_615:

Amazing I can imagine the comment board if say Dell or Microsoft did this but if Apple does it then its ok...
Amen.
Pictor Guy
join:2004-06-21
Sammamish, WA

Pictor Guy to Shark_615

to Shark_615
said by Shark_615:

MSFT did... okay, it's been a while (pre SOX act) but they did charge $19 for the upgrade to WFW 3.11.
Pictor Guy

Pictor Guy

Yay!

You can still get the patch for `free' if you buy one of the new Airports that support 802.11n.

I for one am happy and I hope cases like this will shed light on some of the problems with SOX.

Thank an elected official.

AnonProxy
Premium Member
join:2001-05-12

AnonProxy

Premium Member

Mac sheeple

Dumb ass Mac sheeple, Yeah it's ok. Apple is doing us a favor...bla bla bla...

These are the same idiots that bought computers without keyboards and thought that was "ok" too.

••••••••••••
ross7
join:2000-08-16

ross7

"Corona" got it right, why couldn't Apple?

said by 93388818:

Too bad Apple didn't ask you before trying to float this turd of an idea. My question is why does this qualify as anything more than a firmware update for existing hardware, period? After all, no new hardware has been sold or delivered. And, we all know that Apple is in the hardware business, not the software business, right Mac freaks?
MrBentor
join:2003-02-18
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

MrBentor

I call BS on Apple

As one that deals with SarBox as part of his job, I have to say that it appears that Apple is lying. They can an add or open a previously locked or unabled feature when they think it is ready - there is no need to charge for this. They just want $5.00 more for everyone to flip the switch. If they want it to be free then it can be free, if they want to charge to enable or add the feature that is their right too. They just should just be honest and say we are charging $5.00 because we want the $5.00. to blame SarBox is asinine at best.

texans20
Premium Member
join:2002-09-28
Texas!

texans20

Premium Member

Fanboy

Apple does it:

It's because of accounting and the law. Apple is trying to be honest. They're great. Hell, I'd pay $30 for the feature. If I could, I'd give my left nut to Apple.

If Microsoft did something like this:

Evil bastards. They are greedy. Microsoft sucks Windows sucks spyware virii crashing blah blah.

•••••

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6

Premium Member

So what ?

Just pay the $5.00.

$5.00 is not alot of money.

•••

richardpor
Fur it up
join:2003-04-19
Portland, OR

richardpor

I Can Believe Apple

Sarbanes-Oxley Act is a major pain to many corporations. Not mention teh SEC breathing down their back over backdating stock options I can see why Apple wold take this route.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Re: I Can Believe Apple

said by richardpor:

Sarbanes-Oxley Act is a major pain to many corporations. Not mention teh SEC breathing down their back over backdating stock options I can see why Apple wold take this route.
Tell me about it! I work for a Broker Dealer/RIA. We also are under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (We have a publicly traded company) and it's such a pita. oh well.

RideRed
Vista needs a popup blocker for Vista
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
USA

RideRed

Premium Member

It will just end up on the usenet

And you can get it for free.

As for the "accounting", make it $.01, meanwhile we see Linksys 'enabling' features in their devices all the time without charging users. My WRTSL54G saw a new FTP serving function with a firmware update and somehow the financial people at Linksys aren't looking for the nearest bridge to jump from.

It's is simply Apple charging for the upgrade because they can; not because of some accounting issue.

Rob A
Adjusting
Premium Member
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

Rob A

Premium Member

Typical...

Apple bs.

masterwolfe2
Resident Redneck
join:2001-03-07
Hiawassee, GA

masterwolfe2

All manufacturers don't do this... really!

So Toshiba, for example, should charge for this FREE firmware which updates the speed of a DVD writer?
Firmware upgrade for SD-R5372 DVD recordable drive. Firmware will boost the DVD-R write speed to 16X, DVD+RW write speed to 8X and DVD-RW write speed to 6X. Firmware also expands media compatibility.
What money grubbing bastards...

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

Service Pack 2?

Kinda odd microsoft can give out extra features for free but Apple will charge for them and hide behind a crappy law to justify the gouging.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH

Premium Member

OH BOY, here we go again....

No surprise this has evolved into a MS VS Apple thread.

So, here we all sit, arguing over something posted on a rumors web site....

Perhaps we should wait until we get confirmation from the manufacturer?

On the flip side, don't mean shit to me, my only core 2 duo is hooked up via cat 5....
page: 1 · 2 · next