spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-01-24 14:17:35: For years now the cable industry has refused to compete with the telcos on price, instead insisting that their higher cost cable broadband service was worth the price not only because it was faster, but because it was higher quality. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

oops

so much for that much vaunted competiton.

a duopoly by any other name is still a duopoly.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22

1 edit

corporate retard jargon

his comments are full of corporate b.s. speak. i'm a little surprised he didn't include something on "synergy" and "paradigm".

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

competition doesnt make sense to them.

Welcome back to 1984.

inurenegade

join:2006-06-11
Wilmington, DE

gotta love it

gotta love this crap why fight other companies when we can screw customers equaly!

moko

join:2002-12-22
Fayetteville, GA

words

what the hell is "value equation"....boy...the spin words these idiots come up with

calvoiper

join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA
reply to nasadude

Re: oops

Amen. From Kennard to Martin, those FCC Chairmen who consistently backpedaled from Reed Hunt's "all open" approach to competition must be happy with the paybacks from their duopolist friends.

The rest of us are just disappointed at how easily the incumbent telco and cable players used the FCC to gut competition.

calvoiper
--
VoIP--the death knell of remaining voice monopolies!

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

1 edit

equation

value equation= extra unneeded service to pad their bottom line, keeping the speed increases(especially upload) slow to upgrade, increasing prices on a normal schedule while revenues are already high. Just a guess but anyone else agree

Just FYI att vdsl is slower than the cable company's internet int he area and priced about the same. the 6/1 tier from att is priced the same as the 12/1 cox cable tier in this area.

wicked_wifi
Are You Wifi Compatible
Premium
join:2003-11-04
Cooleemee, NC

My Hyundai Rocks

I guess i will keep driving my Hyundai(DSL) as it works for me

TScheisskopf
World News Trust

join:2005-02-13
Belvidere, NJ
reply to calvoiper

I look forward to the followers of Ayn Rand and their usual responses, repleat with oft-repeated phrases about how deregulation will bring our prices down, market forces will come to bear, and invisible hands will stroke us all.

At which time, I will offer them the deed to a certain bridge in Brooklyn.

Enlightener

join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX

VDSL broadband will be slower then ADSL broadband

AT&T isn't really offering faster internet with VDSL, they are offering the same or slower speeds.

Take the Elite, sure 6/1 sounds great until you read:

"High Speed Internet maximum speed achieved depends on customer location, line condition, and concurrent use of other AT&T U-verse services."

That's right... we all know there is a bandwidth crunch in that 25mbps and when they start trying to jam that second HD stream in there your internet allocation is going to suffer. Of course the reverse isn't true.... they aren't bothering to let you have MORE then 6MB when you aren't using the full 25MB.

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT

So, if they're not planning on competing on price what will

they compete on?
Their 6Mb uverse speeds versus my 18 ~ 20Mb Comcast powerboost ones?

Or, how about their 3 day..20 hour Uverse attempt at installs here in Ct. and it's still not working right?

»[info] It's Here! U-Verse

Just curious.

~Rick
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to calvoiper

said by calvoiper:

The rest of us are just disappointed at how easily the incumbent telco and cable players used the FCC to gut competition.
What does anyone expect from unfettered capitalism? And this is a situation that's not likely to change in a nation of coprophagous consumer-bots with double-digit IQs .
--
.sig currently unavailable. Try again later.

Tikker_LoS

join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK
reply to moko

Re: words

said by moko:

what the hell is "value equation"....boy...the spin words these idiots come up with
He's basically saying that they're not offering identical services, so just comparing price isn't the real reason for customer churn

it's the same basic premise for paying more for HDTV compared to SDTV

HD is generally better, so commands a premium

calvoiper

Belvedere Tiburon, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Titus

So others don't have to look it up like I did....

"Coprophagous" means "dung eating."

calvoiper

idjk

@sprintlink.net
reply to inteller

Re: competition doesnt make sense to them.

Sounds like they both drink the same koolaid.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to TScheisskopf

said by TScheisskopf:

...them the deed to a certain bridge in Brooklyn.
Sir, I want to buy your bridge...
--
Never ask what sort of a computer a guy drives. If he's a Mac user, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him? -Tom Clancy

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to calvoiper

Re: So others don't have to look it up like I did....

said by calvoiper:

"Coprophagous" means "dung eating."

calvoiper
And is where cursory exposure to Latin pays dividends (pun intended). Copro: feces; phagous: eating.
--
.sig currently unavailable. Try again later.

jimbo2150

join:2004-05-10
Euclid, OH
reply to inteller

Re: competition doesnt make sense to them.

said by inteller:

Welcome back to 1984.
SEE ALSO: Colbert, Steven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ZhxewK2aE
--
- "Techie" Jim

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL

1 recommendation

'Just doesn't make sense to us,'

'Just doesn't make sense to us,'..

that pretty much sums up AT&T.

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to nasadude

nevermind

nevermind

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to Rob

Re: 'Just doesn't make sense to us,'

said by Rob:

'Just doesn't make sense to us,'..

that pretty much sums up AT&T.
Nice.
--
Use the OS tool for the job.

moko

Fayetteville, GA
reply to Tikker_LoS

Re: words

thats true....if you are offering better service....but AT&T is not.

moko

Fayetteville, GA
reply to Rob

Re: 'Just doesn't make sense to us,'

yes...nice one

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

3 edits

no competition

Why should they compete in price/services when there is no competition?
Having a choice of one crappy service or another is not competition.
There might be a few areas where there is some competition, but not in most of the US.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by gaforces:

Why should they compete in price/services when there is no competition?
Because the merger between AT&T/BellSouth was suppose to stimulate competition? So much for that ..
--
YourIP.US - It's Your IP .. and more!
rr.cx - Personal Site.. coming soon.

operagost

join:1999-08-02
Spring City, PA
reply to Titus

Looks like "karlmarx" just got a new ID.

calvoiper

Belvedere Tiburon, CA
reply to Titus

Re: So others don't have to look it up like I did....

I suffered through a high school "cursory exposure to Latin," but my school was so repressed that the word for "dung" would never have been discussed.

calvoiper
--
VoIP--the death knell of remaining voice monopolies!

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to operagost

actually, no. But he's right on the money. Techically, about 50% of the population has a double digit IQ (how else could you explain republicans, the religious right, and creationists.
--
Stick it to the MAN. Support your local torrent sites. Proudly providing 100mb of upstream for all your TV, Movie, and MP3 needs.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29

break up

How much longer do we have before AT&T is broke up again?

asdfdfdfdf

@Level3.net

Further evidence of the agenda...

driving the telcos and it is well in keeping with the previous rhetoric of whitacre that sparked off the net neutrality debate.

What many people here don't understand is that power can allow these "clueless" people to radically transform things. They aren't really clueless, they are engaged in a battle to reverse the trends brought on by the internet. The fact that their vision is reactionary doesn't mean it will fail. People need to remember that.

quote:
price competition ... would result in the devolution of IPTV along the lines of CD players, DVD systems, big screen TVs, PCs and more.

...A is for Applications

Core to the evolution of U-verse is the development of applications that build on the delivery of video-driven package to enable new capabilities, commerce and interactive TV – three areas that can help AT&T CONTROL THE CONSUMER ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCE. ... WE need to CREATE AN APPLICATIONS ENVIRONMENT ... The telco provided core APIs and its partner wrote an application that became a launch feature of U-verse – Web remote access to the service’s DVR offering. ...The APIs COME FROM US, and we believe that third parties that can write applications for the Internet can write ones for us

ATT doesn't want to be a communications provider. They intend to control the content and applications over their pipes and recreate the vertically integrated services that the internet subverted. This integration and control of applications gives them the power they had with the old intelligent network.

Note the following quotes which make clear that this ISN'T simply about television content. They speak a number of times about the "three screen vision":

quote:
"AT&T also realizes that delivering on its three-screen vision (TV, PC and wireless device) is a daunting integration effort ...

And for APPLICATIONS TO REACH THREE SCREENS IN A TRULY INTEGRATED FASHION, they must be accessible across three networks, which most expect can be accomplished using the all-promising, but still nascent, IP multimedia subsystem (IMS). "

Note the three screens, TV, wireless and the PC. The goal is to create network in which they control the apis and applications for all major communications, computing and entertainment appliances. The appliances become little more than access boxes for their integrated control of applications, content and communications infrastructure.

See this wiki entry on the IP multimedia subsystem they make reference to:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multime···ubsystem

I don't see how martin can continue to pretend in the face of ever mounting evidence about the intentions of these companies.
This vision IS NOT THE INTERNET. It is the antithesis of the freedom and empowerment that the internet has delivered.