spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-01-26 11:56:51: There's a long list of telcos that are using Microsoft software to fuel their IPTV services, though not all of them have been happy with it. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

They should've deployed Apple I-TV's

WAN wide Apple I-TV broadcasts.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2

1 edit
said by PhoenixDown:

WAN wide Apple I-TV broadcasts.
Hope you've got your asbestos jammies handy, 'cause here it comes....
--
Never ask what sort of a computer a guy drives. If he's a Mac user, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him? -Tom Clancy

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter

2 edits

Finger Pointing

AT&T picked Microsoft to be their provider for an IPTV solution. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with AT&T not Microsoft to ensure that the solution fits their (AT&T's) IPTV needs.

Sounds like some poor analysis was done at AT&T and they are pointing their fingers at Mr. Softee.

Analogy:
I've got a fire I need to put out. I need a hose to move the water. I pick a 1/2 inch hose. The fire rages out of control. Who is responsible?
1. Me (AT&T) for picking too small of a hose?
2. The maker of the hose (Microsoft) because it doesn't supply enough water?

I think you'll put the blame with #1 because I picked a bad solution to the problem.

--
Rich. My Website - ThisIsPico.Com including the AT&T/SBC Northeast/SNET Status Page and Graphs

jslik
That just happened
Premium
join:2006-03-17

Try to guess what is redundant....

"unwieldy Microsoft code"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

anonone

@randolph.af.mil
reply to meskinct

Re: Finger Pointing

The size of the hose does not matter if the pump does not work.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
said by anonone :

The size of the hose does not matter if the pump does not work.
Classic!
--
:: my trivial ramblings ::

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI

The Beta Test Continues

Well, now they are admitting there's a problem with the product. Makes Verizon's choice not to employ IPTV till it was more mature look like a smart move.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during one of the meetings between AT&T and Microsoft.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

2 edits

development process

Typical building scenario, ;

Customer, We want you to build this and heres the plan.
Builder, Can do!

Customer 1/4 of the way into the building process, We have a slight change, could you please implement it?
Builder, Can do! But this will delay the scheduled release.
Customer, No problem!

Customer 1/2 way through the building process, We have a slight change, could you please implement it?
Builder, Can do! But this will delay the scheduled release.
Customer, No problem!

Customer 3/4 through the building process, We have a slight change, could you please implement it?
Builder, Can do! But its going to cost 3x the original estimate and delay the scheduled release.
Customer, OMG that wasnt in the plan what do you mean its costing 3x and more delay! Just stick by the original plan.
Builder, Can do! But we have to undo the last changes you made and its going to cost 2x the original estimate and delay the release.
Customer, Thats not what we planned!
Builder, Im sorry

99% done and doing an overview with the customer.
Customer,We have a slight change, it will be unacceptable if you dont implement it. And we dont want to pay for it.
Builder, It is what it is, if you want it fixed you need to pay.
Customer, We dont want to pay and were going to blame everything(including the delay)on you if our product launch is a failure.
Builder, Shrug

MASantangelo
Premium
join:2004-07-19
Pittstown, NJ
reply to anonone

But Microsoft wasn't the maker of the pump...

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT
reply to meskinct
said by meskinct:

AT&T picked Microsoft to be their provider for an IPTV solution. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with AT&T not Microsoft to ensure that the solution fits their (AT&T's) IPTV needs.

Sounds like some poor analysis was done at AT&T and they are pointing their fingers at Mr. Softee.
Mind posting links to the specs from AT&T that lead you to make that statement? Most of the articles that point fingers seem to point toward microsoft not being able to provide, which makes sense since historically microsoft requires many iterations (prime example, the antitrust case where m had to go through many iterations to to get IE an integral and non-removable part of windows) to get working code out.
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

bogey7806

join:2004-03-19
Here
reply to gaforces

Re: development process

You know something from the inside?

anonone

@randolph.af.mil
reply to MASantangelo

said by MASantangelo:

But Microsoft wasn't the maker of the pump...
For his analogy to work, ATT picked the size of the pipe and chose MS to build the pump. The pipe is in place, however the pump has problems functioning at times. MS is responsible for the STB code and a large portion of backend IPTV code as well.

Even verizon had problems with the MS pump and they were using a very large pipe.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

this sounds just like carriers and WM

all the carriers complain because they cant get windows mobile phones to work the way they want them with all of their "carrier customizations" in the end what it is is a bunch of yahoos at said carrier who dont know how to program and a bunch of bean counters who want to lock down the device way more than the consumer wants. I suspect the same thing exists on the IPTV side. The sounds just like verizon who was going to "re-write" the code. Yeah, I know when I think software developers I think verizon.
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

RJ44

join:2001-10-19
Nashville, TN
reply to gaforces

Typical software development process

Vendor: We're going to be late with the scheduled delivery.

Customer: Again? sigh....

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

2 edits
reply to bogey7806

Re: development process

No I dont.
From what I read on the articles linked they changed the motorola boxes that the software would be running on, the ones they had for development process had more memory.
Then at the end they changed the billing process.

Those are not minor changes, those 2 things are HUGE changes, and Id bet the farm they changed other things.
Change=Delay

phattieg

join:2001-04-29
Winter Park, FL
reply to anonone

I would have a classical reply to that one simply because you set yourself up for it, but I won't say it here. :-D

Thats what she said.--
SIPPhone/Gizmo # 17476200648 / PIMPNET Chatline / Ran by Asterisk & Slackware 10.1.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

3 edits

My Comcast cable box is "Microsoft Enhaced"

Click for full size
This BSOD must be the "Enhanced" part.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to jslik

Re: Try to guess what is redundant....

Yeah, this no shocker. Microsoft and shitty code seam to go hand-in-hand.
Are there no other providers with better boxes?
I find it amazing that the Verizon peeps actually could rewrite the code. Doesn't Microsoft find sharing their code with anyone outside of their company against their way of doing business?

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT
said by Maxo:

Doesn't Microsoft find sharing their code with anyone outside of their company against their way of doing business?
They apparently shared with China and according to the rumours from our security gurus, the US Gov had some serious PC intrusions through microsoft webmail and/or outlook as a result of holes/'features' found using that data.
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

odreian615

join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

M$ cant shove enough DRM in it

to make the **AA's happy naw but it looks to be a while for that Xbox-360 IPTV thing getting off the ground

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Maxo

said by Maxo:

Microsoft and shitty code seam to go hand-in-hand.
And just how much Microsoft code have you actually seen? Have you written any applications that run under Windows? Event driven code? Quantify these questions and then perhaps you can make such a judgement call.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
Or, if you pay attention to such things, you would know that this is nothing new for Microsoft. I could go no but I really don't care to drag this out into a whole anti-MS thread. It's all quite trite. I leave my statement as it stands. I offer no warranties.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma

1 recommendation

AT&T IPTV Mistakes!

AT&T is back together as a large corporation that has many problems, the biggest I feel is their decision to use VDSL Copper. I worked for a Telco and at the start AT&T was our Parent Company, and innovation was almost non-existent with AT&T. AT&T is full of Yes People, and only a handful know what they are doing, but only in one or two fields. All the decisions are made by putting together many Committees that take months of study to come up with obsolete ideas. So no surprise to me that they are in trouble.

TechieZero
Tools Are Using Me
Premium
join:2002-01-25
Gibsonton, FL
reply to meskinct

It's not the size of the hose but how you use it.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 edit

not surprising

That's what you get for getting in bed with Microsoft.....

You should have looked at their other TV and Mobile failures:

1) UltimateTV. Mediocre at best and lasted, what 1 year?

2) WinCE. Yes, I remember 1.0/2.0/etc. Still clunky after all these years.

3) Media Center Edition. Been around for about 3 iterations now and is still only mediocre at best.

4) MSN TV. Need I say more.

Looking at MS's poor track record, it would be INSANE to partner with them for a mission critical application. MS doesn't know how to code mission critical apps.

Ultimately, you sleep with the Devil, you get burned. Serves you right. If you would have looked away from MS, you would have seen much better and more scalable solutions than anything provided by them.

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Maxo

said by Maxo:

I offer no warranties.
And nothing that quantifies your statement and puts you in the position to make any sort of valid statements regarding the quality of any code that Microsoft has produced.

kyramilan

join:2006-11-26
Pensacola, FL
reply to PhoenixDown

Re: They should've deployed Apple I-TV's

Press Release
-------------

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said today the company was working extremely hard to rectify the code that crippled AT&T's new IPTV offering. Ballmer said the crack techs that created the "new awesome Vista OS" were put immediately on the project.

Oh, gee, the Vista team is on it. I feel sorry for AT&T!

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to raythompsontn

I'm sorry. What was that? I wasn't paying attention.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

1 edit

MS code bloat

My Tivo runs Linux...

nanoflower

join:2002-07-14
reply to inteller

Re: this sounds just like carriers and WM

Verizon wasn't going to do the work. They would hire third party developers that do this kind of work. I know some companies that specialize in doing set-top code. Some times they do work for the original set-top manufacturers and some times they do work for third parties that want the code customized for their situation.

Now, if the code isn't stable or the platform has changed then no one is going to find it an easy task to get the system working as it was supposed to.