dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-01-31 12:45:22: A commercial Sea Launch Zenit 3SL rocket disintegrated "in a fiery catastrophe" aboard its ocean launch platform (a converted Norwegian oil-drilling rig) yesterday, destroying a sophisticated telecommunications satellite payload. ..

prev · 1 · 2

GreysAnatomy
@verizon.net

GreysAnatomy to hayabusa3303

Anon

to hayabusa3303

Re: not good.

Boeing only built the satellite. The rocket was Ukranian.

tcp1
Premium Member
join:2000-04-17
Monument, CO

tcp1 to THZNDUP

Premium Member

to THZNDUP

Re: Idiots

said by THZNDUP:

That ex-drilling platform was modified then moved to the Pacific. It wasn't used for drilling out there.
Yep. I just didn't want to be so obvious as to say "Umm, I think they thought of that, sport."

I (heart) the internet.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP

Premium Member

Sometimes it takes a two by four to get their attention first though.....

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck to BuriedCaesar3

Premium Member

to BuriedCaesar3

Re: Glad someone got it

said by BuriedCaesar3:

Looked like it never even went "up" - everything seemed to go down into the fireball.
Your right it didn't go up at all. The engines are started early to give it time to stabilize and then at 0 the hold down devices release if everything looks good. It looks to me like the rocket tipped over just after the engines were lit; like one or more of the hold down clamps or whatever they're attached to failed.

RideRed
Vista needs a popup blocker for Vista
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
USA

RideRed to trancient

Premium Member

to trancient

Re: accident or sabotage?

Yeah, maybe it was run into by a black helicopter

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru

Re: Hopefully...

Well, I wish I could, but we're doing a "Lockdown" right now, like with the Challenger and Columbia disasters. SOP in this business when you have an "anomaly" like this.
It sure was LOUD, though!
grandpinaple8
join:2006-01-03
New York, NY

grandpinaple8 to ronpin

to ronpin

Re: Watch here

Headshot.
grandpinaple8

grandpinaple8 to captokita

to captokita

Re: dang.....

PWNED!!!!1111!!!!one
ritteam
join:2003-10-24
Eatonville, WA

ritteam to trancient

to trancient

Re: accident or sabotage?

It was in retaliation for China's attack on their weather satellite. We are saying see you might hit ours in the air but yours wont even make it off the GROUND!!! PWNED!!!

rob_in_chatt
Premium Member
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN

rob_in_chatt

Premium Member

grounded

makes me wonder if the docking clamps were released................

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit

Transmaster

We all know what happened......really

Emperor Ming of Mongo, who is known on Broadband Reports as The Taylor Troll.
It was Emperor Ming of The RIAA who used a anti-matter blort-o-tron projector to destroy the rocket. The Emperor didn't want a broadband satellite which would have been used for P2P bootlegging.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to GreysAnatomy

Premium Member

to GreysAnatomy

You are wrong boeing takes all the heat from a problem like this. Second Sea Launch Company, LLC, is an international partnership of American, Russian, Ukrainian and Norwegian businesses.

Does it say American? yes it does we build it too. Its like making stuff in china and building it here saying its made in america.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to csula

Premium Member

to csula

Re: Sat BB is crap anyway.

ROFLMAO! How true.
Jim Kirk

1 edit

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

LOL

»www.navigon.net/sl/

Thought about e-mailing the contact person listed on the website and let them know their launch platform camera isn't working. ROFLMAO!

That's what you get for using Russian junk.
roachxp
join:2004-05-26
Milford, MA

roachxp

DirectTv is so screwed

So much for having 150 national HD channel this year,aleast one on their sats will be ground launched.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to BuriedCaesar3

Premium Member

to BuriedCaesar3

Re: Glad someone got it

said by BuriedCaesar3:

The engines are supposed to be on the bottom of the rocket, right?
DOH! That's what they did wrong...

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to roachxp

Premium Member

to roachxp

Re: DirectTv is so screwed

Nope they can switch to the Arianespace to get it off the ground.
hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 to lordfly

Premium Member

to lordfly

Re: Clone?

No becuase every sat is different, and is matched for what it will be doing.

C band vs ku band vs ka band how many transponders there are to how big the solar panels to batteries are.

I believe it take 18 or 12 (cant remember) months to build one today.
hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 to Jim Kirk

Premium Member

to Jim Kirk

Re: LOL

said by Jim Kirk:

»www.navigon.net/sl/

Thought about e-mailing the contact person listed on the website and let them know their launch platform camera isn't working. ROFLMAO!

That's what you get for using Russian junk.
russian junk?

Hum while we where GROUNDED with the space shuttle crap they where making flights to the ISS to keep it running. Sounds like they are doing good if you ask me.

Big deal its one failure it how you learn

GreysAnatomy
@verizon.net

GreysAnatomy to hayabusa3303

Anon

to hayabusa3303

The rocket which failed and exploded was Ukranian. Blame is irrelevant... you said Boeing would "fix it" like it was Boeing's problem. They built the satellite, it was paid for. Sea Launch used a Ukranian rocket to carry the payload, and it exploded. Thus, the issue is that of Sea Launch. The payload was irrelevant, it just happened to be a Boeing-built satellite.

I haven't seen where Boeing is taking any sort of heat for a problem that isn't even related to them.

As far as the diatribe regarding something saying "american." Wow! I don't know where to begin. I don't think Focus Factor would even be of any use in your case... Let me put it this way: THE ROCKET WAS NOT PRODUCED IN THE UNITED STATES OR CHINA. What were you smoking?

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to Jim Kirk

MVM

to Jim Kirk

Re: LOL

The Russians DO NOT make "junk". Their stuff might not be as "pretty" as ours, but considering it's meant to be used in really bad weather, and maintained out in the field under adverse conditions, it doesn't have to be "pretty", it just has to work. And it does. This really is "Rocket Science", and things like this happen. It's not any more reasonable to expect 100% reliability from these systems than it is to expect 100% reliability from anything else. These are very complex machines, built to extremely high tolerances, operating at the edge of the technology.
Besides, the webcam and all of it's support equipment is US-provided.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to GreysAnatomy

MVM

to GreysAnatomy

said by GreysAnatomy :

They built the satellite, it was paid for.
It was not paid for, the deal was for In Orbit Delivery and any money Boinc will receive will be from their own insurance, not the customer or the customers insurance.

The attempt to direct the blame from Boinc to Sea Launch is flawed by the 40% ownership that Boinc has in Sea Launch

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to GreysAnatomy

Premium Member

to GreysAnatomy
said by GreysAnatomy :

THE ROCKET WAS NOT PRODUCED IN THE UNITED STATES OR CHINA. What were you smoking?
Did i say it was BUILT in china? Did i say those words. NOPE.

Parts of the rocket are made here in america. They dont ship the rocket payload and all from russia. what are you snoring!!! the Payload is put where? »www.sea-launch.com/slfac ··· ties.htm
prev · 1 · 2