spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-01-31 12:45:22: A commercial Sea Launch Zenit 3SL rocket disintegrated "in a fiery catastrophe" aboard its ocean launch platform (a converted Norwegian oil-drilling rig) yesterday, destroying a sophisticated telecommunications satellite payload. ..

page: 1 · 2
brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

ouch

that is going to cost a bundle to repair

ronpin
Imagine Reality

join:2002-12-06
Nirvana

1 recommendation

Watch here

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMG2SBwIcrM
grandpinaple

join:2006-01-03
New York, NY

Re: Watch here

Headshot.

DrewCapu
Giant Diehard

join:2001-12-19
California

Oops!

"Oops!" has been brought to you by Erasers. Don't make a mistake without one.

Back to Square One.
JoeBubba

join:2006-11-20
Farmingdale, NY

1 recommendation

I said that we were all clear for...

..Lunch NOT Launch! Doh!

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Re: I said that we were all clear for...

said by JoeBubba:

..Lunch NOT Launch! Doh!
Obviously there were too many baritos on board.
--
Son, there's only one thing you need to know: HEMI

Sircolby45

join:2005-11-26

Ouch!!!

Ouch...

"Rocket explodes" ____________--
Wildblue Pro Pack / Beam 40 / Laredo NOC / Windows MCE SP2

lordfly

join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL

Clone?

Don't most companies great a clone Satellite just for this reason? It doesn't cost much more to make a second one.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29

Re: Clone?

No becuase every sat is different, and is matched for what it will be doing.

C band vs ku band vs ka band how many transponders there are to how big the solar panels to batteries are.

I believe it take 18 or 12 (cant remember) months to build one today.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

Who pays for this?

Is it the company who bought the sat, the company who launched (and destroyed) the sat, or are private launches like this insured?

Toguro

join:2003-10-23
Chicago, IL

Re: Who pays for this?

Most of the time projects like this are heavily insured.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
said by Camelot One:

Is it the company who bought the sat, the company who launched (and destroyed) the sat, or are private launches like this insured?
Can't think of too many commercial launches that are uninsured.

-tom
--
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY
said by Camelot One:

Dunno but it could easily be Russian - the male voice was counting back in Russian...;)
--

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium

not good.

Boeing will find what happened.

Aleast its not as bad as when galaxy 4 went silent in 1998. Or when in 1999 when galaxy 10 was lost on take off.

I give boeing credit on this. Aleast it was out in the ocean and not at the cape or andrews air base where poeple could have been hurt or killed from it.

GreysAnatomy

@verizon.net

Re: not good.

Boeing only built the satellite. The rocket was Ukranian.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium

You are wrong boeing takes all the heat from a problem like this. Second Sea Launch Company, LLC, is an international partnership of American, Russian, Ukrainian and Norwegian businesses.

Does it say American? yes it does we build it too. Its like making stuff in china and building it here saying its made in america.

GreysAnatomy

@verizon.net

The rocket which failed and exploded was Ukranian. Blame is irrelevant... you said Boeing would "fix it" like it was Boeing's problem. They built the satellite, it was paid for. Sea Launch used a Ukranian rocket to carry the payload, and it exploded. Thus, the issue is that of Sea Launch. The payload was irrelevant, it just happened to be a Boeing-built satellite.

I haven't seen where Boeing is taking any sort of heat for a problem that isn't even related to them.

As far as the diatribe regarding something saying "american." Wow! I don't know where to begin. I don't think Focus Factor would even be of any use in your case... Let me put it this way: THE ROCKET WAS NOT PRODUCED IN THE UNITED STATES OR CHINA. What were you smoking?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by GreysAnatomy :

They built the satellite, it was paid for.
It was not paid for, the deal was for In Orbit Delivery and any money Boinc will receive will be from their own insurance, not the customer or the customers insurance.

The attempt to direct the blame from Boinc to Sea Launch is flawed by the 40% ownership that Boinc has in Sea Launch
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
said by GreysAnatomy :

THE ROCKET WAS NOT PRODUCED IN THE UNITED STATES OR CHINA. What were you smoking?
Did i say it was BUILT in china? Did i say those words. NOPE.

Parts of the rocket are made here in america. They dont ship the rocket payload and all from russia. what are you snoring!!! the Payload is put where? »www.sea-launch.com/slfacilities.htm

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Glad someone got it

I thought it got in the air when it blew I did not know it was still on the platform

BuriedCaesar
It's Not Polite To Stare.

join:2004-03-27
Richardson, TX

1 edit

Re: Glad someone got it

Looked like it never even went "up" - everything seemed to go down into the fireball. Too bad the video cut off as soon as it did. Sure would like to see the rest of it.

The engines are supposed to be on the bottom of the rocket, right?
--
That was preposterous! Utter Nonsense! Totally unsupportable drivel! You can't be serious!....Um, what did you say?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Re: Glad someone got it

said by BuriedCaesar:

Yep

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA
said by BuriedCaesar:

Looked like it never even went "up" - everything seemed to go down into the fireball.
Your right it didn't go up at all. The engines are started early to give it time to stabilize and then at 0 the hold down devices release if everything looks good. It looks to me like the rocket tipped over just after the engines were lit; like one or more of the hold down clamps or whatever they're attached to failed.
--
Early to rise, early to bed;
Makes a man healthy but socially dead.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by BuriedCaesar:

DOH! That's what they did wrong...
--
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
- Plato -

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Yikes!

Oh the humanity?

ofacesig

join:2007-01-23
Coppell, TX

Satellite internet

Satellite broadband capacity has never been that great to begin with. I can understand using this capacity for the middle east and Africa. However Europe should know better.
Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Re: Satellite internet

said by ofacesig:

Satellite broadband capacity has never been that great to begin with. I can understand using this capacity for the middle east and Africa. However Europe should know better.
Some eastern parts of Europe are like africa and middle east in the way of being war torn and still re-building.. So those countries would benefit from sat inet. (since there is no alternative)
--
The meek shall inherit the earth but don't forget the poor are the ones who inherit the debt.

csula

@calstatela.edu

Sat BB is crap anyway.

God has deemed that satellite broadband is shit, that's why this POS didn't make it off the pad.

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09

Re: Sat BB is crap anyway.

ROFLMAO! How true.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

dang.....

Those "auto destruct" buttons look an awful lot like "LAUNCH" so it's easy to get the two confused.

Houston........ we have a problem.....
grandpinaple

join:2006-01-03
New York, NY

Re: dang.....

PWNED!!!!1111!!!!one

trancient

@verizon.net

accident or sabotage?

Me thinks our government wouldn't want those countries to have any more internet access than they really need. Or maybe none at all...

Just a conspiracy thought.

••••

DHRacer
Tech Monkey

join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA

I guess this means DTV future HD not jepordized

If Christopher Lloyd is to be believed, at least this launch failure doesn't affect DTV's eventual* HD expansion.

I mean eventual with the least amount of sarcasm possible.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

Chinese: "All Your Broadband Are belong to Us!"

Someone set us up the bomb!

FicmanS
Premium
join:2005-01-11
Brownsburg, IN

Re: Chinese: "All Your Broadband Are belong to Us!"

Somebody is pissed, I am guessing...

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

Hopefully...

We will get a moment by moment play from drjim See Profile
--
FWD#: 223611

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3

Re: Hopefully...

Well, I wish I could, but we're doing a "Lockdown" right now, like with the Challenger and Columbia disasters. SOP in this business when you have an "anomaly" like this.
It sure was LOUD, though!
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

Idiots

Launching from an oil drigging rig. what brainiac thought of that? why not just launch from the roof of a dynamite factory?
--
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much Bandwidth

••••

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN

grounded

makes me wonder if the docking clamps were released................

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit

We all know what happened......really

Emperor Ming of Mongo, who is known on Broadband Reports as The Taylor Troll.
It was Emperor Ming of The RIAA who used a anti-matter blort-o-tron projector to destroy the rocket. The Emperor didn't want a broadband satellite which would have been used for P2P bootlegging.
--
The older I get the more I prefer the company of my dogs over that of man kind.

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09

1 edit

LOL

»www.navigon.net/sl/

Thought about e-mailing the contact person listed on the website and let them know their launch platform camera isn't working. ROFLMAO!

That's what you get for using Russian junk.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium

Re: LOL

said by Jim Kirk:

»www.navigon.net/sl/

Thought about e-mailing the contact person listed on the website and let them know their launch platform camera isn't working. ROFLMAO!

That's what you get for using Russian junk.
russian junk?

Hum while we where GROUNDED with the space shuttle crap they where making flights to the ISS to keep it running. Sounds like they are doing good if you ask me.

Big deal its one failure it how you learn

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
The Russians DO NOT make "junk". Their stuff might not be as "pretty" as ours, but considering it's meant to be used in really bad weather, and maintained out in the field under adverse conditions, it doesn't have to be "pretty", it just has to work. And it does. This really is "Rocket Science", and things like this happen. It's not any more reasonable to expect 100% reliability from these systems than it is to expect 100% reliability from anything else. These are very complex machines, built to extremely high tolerances, operating at the edge of the technology.
Besides, the webcam and all of it's support equipment is US-provided.
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.
roachxp

join:2004-05-26
Milford, MA

DirectTv is so screwed

So much for having 150 national HD channel this year,aleast one on their sats will be ground launched.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium

Re: DirectTv is so screwed

Nope they can switch to the Arianespace to get it off the ground.