spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-02-21 09:02:19: Despite the entrance of Verizon's FiOS in one of the most competitive TV & broadband markets in the country, Comcast cable TV prices in Northern Virginia, DC and Maryland continue to rise, notes the Washington Post. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

ftthz
If love can kill hate can also save

join:2005-10-17

thought that competition would lower prices

... guess I was wrong

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Everyone (cable and telco) knows that people will pay so they continue to raise rates, every year we bitch and moan about prices but did any of us quit using high speed internet or cable TV?
--
"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious."- Alan Minter, Boxer"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."- Britney Spears, Pop Singer

frankenfeet
934 is 10-8
Premium
join:2001-10-14
Smiths Grove, KY
reply to ftthz

Competition only works when the competing companies aren't in cahoots to raise prices.
--
ƒ ƒ € †

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY

1 recommendation

yawn...

Nice to know hell hasn't frozen over yet.
--
Life is a journey; death is a given.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

Rates are going up across the board.

Directv just raised their rates. Comcast rates are going up. Seems everywhere you look more and more subscription based services are raising their rates. Competition is good and so is having choices when it comes to DSL and Cable. I just wish the prices were a wee bit lower.
--
My Domain
Nightfall's Hockey and Life Journal

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

It takes more than 2 to make a competitive market.

Hopefully we'll have a competitive market one day. 'Till then, get use to high prices.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Again?

Again?

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Chiyo

Re: thought that competition would lower prices

said by Chiyo:

Everyone (cable and telco) knows that people will pay so they continue to raise rates, every year we bitch and moan about prices but did any of us quit using high speed internet or cable TV?
not much you can do when there is no choice; I can only get cable for broadband - no dsl, no fiber, no BPL, no wireless.

and it's pretty clear from the rate increases that two wireline cable TV competitors isn't going to discipline prices.

all in all, broadband and TV pretty fvked up in the U.S.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

Yawn...

If its too much money to spend then cancel it. Duh!
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

nranieri

join:2005-01-03
Massapequa, NY

1 recommendation

Don't forget the content providers

Of course, broadband pricing is different, but for TV pricing a good part of your monthly fees go to content providers. It's not like HBO, Disney, GE, Viacom, etc. are lowering prices.

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
reply to ftthz

"not much you can do when there is no choice"

we don't need cable TV or HSI it's a luxary that we choose to pay for but if I had my way I'd still pay because A. I use it for work and B. I like it so I keep it but I mean if it came down to it I would get rid of it or force my work to pay for my monthly cost
--
"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious."- Alan Minter, Boxer"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."- Britney Spears, Pop Singer

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 edit
reply to Chiyo

said by Chiyo:

did any of us quit using high speed internet or cable TV?
I lowered my internet connection speed and had my cable TV disconnected within the last couple months.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
Rockville, MD
reply to Morac

Re: Again?

Your news item was about NJ prices. This one is about VA/DC/MD. So it looks like you'll only get one increase this quarter.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Stay in Business..

Well how does anyone expect Comcast to stay in business if they don't raise prices? They can't continue to post losses every quarter like they have been doing, they need to raise the prices to stay in business.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JTRockville

I know, but it doesn't seem like Comcast is taking FIOS all that seriously. They should be.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

mglunt

join:2001-09-10
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ftthz

Verizon for me is saving me about $10 vs what I was paying for DTV. Depends on their franchise fees etc which I was told were around $3. - I have not gotten a first bill yet.

It seems I snuck in before the price jump to $42.95 as my online account still says $39.95. Hopefully it stays that price for the yr contract.

Anyway... VZ should be lower than DTV and Cable for at least the first few years.

nozzer

join:2004-06-25
Waltham, MA
reply to Morac

Verizon are a big fat stupid company. On this basis alone, they are unlikely to provide true competition.

I want to be able to choose what channels i want. Theres an awful lot of garbage channels, and they need to stand on their own 2 feet, rather than be subsidized by the more successful ones.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to nranieri

Re: Don't forget the content providers

This is that part that always bugged me. I mean Comcast is the largest cable company in the nation. To me it's Comcast that hold all the cards. Why dosent Comcast say to HBO, Disney, GE, Viacom, etc. "We will give you X$ for your content" take it or build your own cable network.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA

customer service cost?

What Hajeime wants to get paid 2 cents a day now?

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to Rob

Re: Stay in Business..

said by Rob:

Well how does anyone expect Comcast to stay in business if they don't raise prices? They can't continue to post losses every quarter like they have been doing, they need to raise the prices to stay in business.
Maybe if they stop hiring lawyers and add campaigns (liars) to kill off municipal efforts to connect thier citys they wouldnt have to raise rates.

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL

Time to bring back regulations

It's VERY clear that the duopoly situation we are in is going to result in massive price increases, because they CAN. A duopoly is NOT free market, it's control of a service. It's high time we force these companies to provide What we want, how we want it. I'm not saying comcast or verizon is to blame though. I blame ABC for forcing them to carry 20 crap channels for every good channel. It's time to re-regulate the MPAA corps, and FORCE them to provide a-la-carte options. I know I would only pay for about 10 channels if I was given a choice, and that would certainly cut my bill by about 75%
--
Stick it to the MAN. Support your local torrent sites. Proudly providing 100mb of upstream for all your TV, Movie, and MP3 needs.

TVuser

@66.213.220.x
reply to Rob

Comcast is posting record profits.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to b10010011

Re: customer service cost?

said by b10010011:

What Hajeime wants to get paid 2 cents a day now?
The few times I've spoken to their CS, they were baed in the U.S.
--
YourIP.US - It's Your IP .. and more!
rr.cx - Personal Site.. coming soon.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to gaforces

said by gaforces:

said by Rob:

Maybe if they stop hiring lawyers and add campaigns (liars) to kill off municipal efforts to connect thier citys they wouldnt have to raise rates.
I was being sarcastic. They've posted record highs past few quarters.
--
YourIP.US - It's Your IP .. and more!
rr.cx - Personal Site.. coming soon.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Not just TV..

Have you ever used Fedex or UPS? 5+% increases! Fuel Surcharges!

Man...I only saw 3.5% salary increase...

c0de

join:2004-10-14
Richmond, VA
reply to karlmarx

Re: Time to bring back regulations

I will agree with you on the 10 channels.

But what I would like to see, and I am sure it can be done, if it has not been done already.

I would like to pay for 30 channels, but have to option to swap and interchange those channels on a daily basis, the cable compaines could charge me for haveing my block of 10/20/30+ chanels on a monthly basis, then charge a dollar or whatever each time i wanted to swap a channell. then also maybe have the ability to trial or preview chanells not in your line up.

they would make a killing! and i would be much happier paying for 20 chans of selected content at 19.99 a month than paying for 200 chans of wich i only wathc about 10-20 of, for close to a hundred bucks a month.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
Rockville, MD
reply to Morac

said by Morac:

I know, but it doesn't seem like Comcast is taking FIOS all that seriously. They should be.
I dunno Morac See Profile. Comcast is making money hand-over-fist, and that's what they're in business to do. Why on earth would they change a formula that's proven to work?

phattieg

join:2001-04-29
Winter Park, FL
reply to ftthz

said by ftthz:

... guess I was wrong
Heh, no comment there...

I said that competition doesn't mean squat. If it did, satellite TV would have already taken over cable. But they haven't, and can't, and cable still has majority. You know the cableco's have their stock invested where it needs to be, including in the competitions pocket too. Do you really think the cable providers are worried? You think in the short term losses and gains, but in reality, big companies play their stock interests in other companies as a way to "get by" when revenue or competition is a threat. It's like chess too, one company waits, see's how far the other one goes till they think it's safe, then they rebound with something to compete against the newbie. If you look at how long it took for Comcast to get as big as it is, you will see that the number of people FiOS is taking in is very minimal compared to the daily take cable has.
--
SIPPhone/Gizmo # 17476200648 / PIMPNET Chatline / Ran by Asterisk & Slackware 10.1.

cptmiles
Premium
join:2004-04-22
Swayzee, IN

Who is the Real Culprit?

I am not a fan of big service providers as a whole, but they are just one of the players. The real culprit is the programmers like Viacom, MTV, and especially Disney/ESPN. The programmers are doing everything in their power to keep a la carte out of the market and doing it quite effectively. If a carrier even hints they are going to try a la carte ESPN threatens to pull all their programming. As a cable company you become pretty unattractive without ESPN...so we keep playing the game. I agree that we need regulation, but maybe the regulation needs to be on the programmers.

Everyone is worried that Comcast makes money. Hey, they are in the business to make money. Think of them just like a BP or Marathon (major oil company). They have their internally controlled margins and when their cost of goods sold go up their prices go up. In Comcast's case they are even worse off. They have to deal with 30 or more product (content) providers.

Every time ESPN decides they need another crappy channel on the basic tier or they will pull their contract, somebody has to pay and it's not going to be Comcast.

I disagree with the idea that Comcast is in cahoots with Verizon or any other carrier. If the margins were so wonderful there would be 10 video carriers in every major market.

phattieg

join:2001-04-29
Winter Park, FL
reply to Nightfall

Re: Rates are going up across the board.

Maybe if you complained to Viacom, and the other media giants, you'd see lower rates. They rise yearly due to these people, and franchise fees, but mostly these people.
--
SIPPhone/Gizmo # 17476200648 / PIMPNET Chatline / Ran by Asterisk & Slackware 10.1.