dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-03-20 11:43:50: Time Warner Cable has had a hell of a time with the acquisition and integration of Adelphia and Comcast customers in Los Angeles. The deal increased their subscriber count from 350,000 to 1. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

RideRed
Vista needs a popup blocker for Vista
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
USA

RideRed

Premium Member

Not bad

Considering the mess Comcast here was in, TWC increased their subscribers by 5X with complaints going up 3X. Clearly, on a 'per subscriber' basis complaints are down.

In my 'hood, TWC is doing a much better job for way cheaper than Comcast did.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

With large increase in customers, complaints #'s reasonable

The deal increased their subscriber count from 350,000 to 1.9 million, which has had a very ugly impact on service quality in the city -- complaints tripling from a year earlier.
Doesn't sound so bad to me. The number of customers increases by 5.5 times, but the number of complaints only tripled.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

I'm glad I never went cable

I thought about going Comcast at one point, however, their rates were higher on Cable than DirecTv, and HSI was more expensive than DSL (Digital phone not available).
Friends of mine had Comcast and didn't have issues until the switch, and their HD was cutting out quite a bit, and the cutover Internet was a mess with outages.

DHRacer
Tech Monkey
join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA

DHRacer

Partly Adelphia's fault

I can say that Time Warner is a good company when it's their area to begin with, but to pick up the pieces after another company imploded and they bought it, is proving to be too much for them. Adelphia's plants out here in Socal sucked, the lines to residents were terrible, and the whole infrastructure was messed up.

I've had DSL since before there was Adelphia HSI, and since Adelphia offered it, I've seen this tragedy unfold with my friends.

TW is now having to fix an Adelphia problem that they (Adelphia) didn't want to invest in because they knew they were going down, and transition over by sinking huge resources TW doesn't yet have out here into repairs/upgrades, etc.

I'll bet they regret this now.
Techie714
join:2005-08-02
Anaheim, CA

2 edits

Techie714

TWC Sucks!

I'm doing fine now but about a month ago I was down with HSI & TV. It took me 3 calls & being on hold for over an hour to be told "Yes, we would be happy to send a technician to your home in FOUR BUSINESS DAYS!". So I was down for a week with no service & this is in Anaheim.....So far I'm not very happy. =(

FYI: TWC needs to HIRE MANY more technicians & better people.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to DHRacer

Premium Member

to DHRacer

Re: Partly Adelphia's fault

"I can say that Time Warner is a good company when it's their area to begin with, but to pick up the pieces after another company imploded and they bought it, is proving to be too much for them. Adelphia's plants out here in Socal sucked, the lines to residents were terrible, and the whole infrastructure was messed up."

Fact or opinion?

Hob

RideRed
Premium Member
USA

RideRed

Premium Member

Fact. Adelphia's problems in Los Angeles were notorious, similar to Comcast and Chicago land a few years ago.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Strange then that so many ex adelphian's appear to be complaining eh?

Hob

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: With large increase in customers, complaints #'s reasonable

said by FFH5:
The deal increased their subscriber count from 350,000 to 1.9 million, which has had a very ugly impact on service quality in the city -- complaints tripling from a year earlier.
Doesn't sound so bad to me. The number of customers increases by 5.5 times, but the number of complaints only tripled.
The article seems to imply that they didn't sufficiently increase their customer service staffing, if at all. Perhaps the number itself is outpaced by the increase in subscribers (an over 6-fold increase in customers versus a 3-fold increase in complaints) but indications are that Time Warner really could have done better.

RideRed
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

RideRed to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin

No, I would suppose they were complaining to Adelphia long before complaining to TWC. TWC just inherited the problems and thus the complainers.

DHRacer
Tech Monkey
Lake Arrowhead, CA

DHRacer to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
I was never an "Adelphian" to begin with. I did happen to be the "hey, you're good with computers and stuff, come help me fix my cable internet problem" guy to many friends, and I dealt with Adelpia in their stead, and it was a head-banging experience to say the least.

Techs were less than helpful on the phone, total retards in the field, and completely incompetent in any other capacity. Its fun trying to explain how thei nternet works to the guy who's getting paid to install it who can't figure out why it it's not working when I can see the mistake but he refuses to.

Fact. Been there, seen it, got the T-shirt, Hobs.
DHRacer

1 recommendation

DHRacer to Techie714

to Techie714

Re: TWC Sucks!

Keep this in mind: The only thing TWC did when they bought Adelphia/Comcast was change the logo and color of the shirts the employees wear and the names on the trucks.

It's still the same clueless idiots, just the company name is different.

And they haven't hired any new staff beyond the pre-existing Adelphia/Comcast employees they adopted. These new employees could at least train the adopted rejects on current concepts such as competency in the field they are employed in and customer service.

Ok, so I'm painting with a pretty broad brush. Maybe there might be some knowledgeable techs from Socal in these forums, but they weren't on the phones or in the field when I helped friends deal with Adelphia.

Most of my friends I got switched over to DSL when possible, not for the speed (which cable was better at sometimes), or the price (similar), but because it just worked better, and that's all they (my friends) really wanted.

mdttb
join:2002-02-12
Anaheim, CA

mdttb to Techie714

to Techie714
Formely from Adelphia and in the Anaheim Area. I've had no issues since the transition from Adelphia to Time Warner.

Only bitch I have is the info commercials late at might they were bearable on Adelphia but now that TWC has the reins it's a fricking joke for us late night crowd just about every channel has them now.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to DHRacer

MVM

to DHRacer
Swap out the names above and you will see what Comcast ALSO has to deal with every time they get some crap company's rejects.

Yes, even the Adelphia and TW clowns that were inherited.
Double edged sword here...

Oh, TW didn't buy anything from Comcast... it was a swap.
Comcast got a bunch of Adelphia *AND* TW trash in this deal too!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to RideRed

Premium Member

to RideRed

I based my comment around the frequent posters in the Adelphia forum.

Hob
eazymfe
join:2006-11-29
Manhattan Beach, CA

eazymfe

Adelphia ruled

My average wait time for customer service with Adelphia was about 5 minutes, it is now a minum of 30 minute waits for TW. Adelphia always negotiated price deals over the phone every six months, TW sends you around to five different departments before they will negotiate with you. The TW customer service reps seems to hide behind different departments and shuffle you around.

t3chnical
@qwest.net

t3chnical to DHRacer

Anon

to DHRacer

OK OK , I cannot listen to your invalid complains. Well yes they are valid BUT. DONT FORGET ADELPHIA BOUGHT YOU PEOPLE FROM cable vision, Verizon (GTE). All the at home crap. So these plants SUCKED ASS well before adelphia came into play. Yet when I formor employee (adelphia) took over you guys didnt say " They are good in their own areas but the previous owners messed it up. ". also side note adelphia service when they are in their own areas is great. LOOK AT WESTERN NY.

Anyways all cable companys are the same as noted above. And no matter what cable company buys the LA area. The same Flaming ass***** will still complain.!

buffalos
@qwest.net

buffalos to RideRed

Anon

to RideRed
Yes they were, I used to work for tech support 5 years at adelphia. And socal was @HOME. Not adelphia. We (Adelphia) bought that crap from Centry cable,GTE,Cable vision (I think that was carlsbad CA).

The plants were run by @HOME. After the @home crash we worked hard to get the Whinning @SS's connection. Santa Monica area ...... @home workers sucked ass but adelphia had to deal with them.

So this arguement happened 4 years ago when adelphia took over. Same bitching people but different companys.

Now though they can fully blame adelphia because the company is no more.

People get yojur facts str8.
bcunningh
join:2005-04-01
Seattle, WA

bcunningh to yock

to yock

Maybe they're talking about a 3-fold increase in the complaints-to-subscribers ratio but the article doesn't make that clear.

en102
Canadian, eh?
Valencia, CA

en102 to DHRacer

to DHRacer

I had a similar experience with Cogeco in Canada when they deployed... Installers and techs are 2 completely different people. They installed my cable internet, and stated it would take a few hours before I synced (back in 1998/1999). A few days later, I had to put a ticket in, and wait another week to have a tech come out and state that the building had the wrong kind of repeater (one way).

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock to bcunningh

Premium Member

to bcunningh

said by bcunningh:

Maybe they're talking about a 3-fold increase in the complaints-to-subscribers ratio but the article doesn't make that clear.
Indeed, but that seems less likely. Such math would be disingenuous to not specify.

RideRed
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

RideRed to t3chnical

Premium Member

to t3chnical

It's you who need to get your facts straight. @Home had been gone for 5 years, how long are you going to use that as an excuse?

Adelphia had 5 years to fix these chronic issues and they didn't. I give a pass to TWC who has been in this for less (fixing the Comcast/Adelphia nightmare) than a year with far more customers than Adelphia had; but not Adelphia.

aef
@qwest.net

aef

Anon

adelphia had 5 years to fix it. However 3 of those 5 years where in bankrupcy so they didnt/couldnt. AND the CEO's at that time where all ex-comcast/ATT ... COOPER.

but before adelphia that area was crap and the original company never fixed it. So lets go back to the original comapny.

t3chnical
@qwest.net

t3chnical to RideRed

Anon

to RideRed
And the first year adelphia attempted to fix it. But all you crying SoCali Fl@mes wouldnt stop bitching.

5 years my ass.
adelphia had 1 - 2 years before the company was locked down. so you get your facts str8 too. It hasn't 5 years. durning the times of Mr Cooper who was running it. didnt inprove areas, had to please the courts and use $$ else where.

DHRacer
Tech Monkey
Lake Arrowhead, CA

DHRacer to t3chnical

to t3chnical
In the Redlands area, whatever was prior to Adelphia (TCI Cablevision, IIRC) didn't offer Cable Broadband, that only rolled out WELL AFTER Adelphia bought them. That makes it Adelphia's suck-tastic service and plant issues because if it wasn't a viable product, Adelphia shouldn't have came out with it, even if it was based on the previous' company's plant issues because it is now the Adelphia name, not TCI (or whomever) to get tarnished.

ShootToThril
Tell The Truth
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Sherman Oaks, CA

ShootToThril

Premium Member

X Adlephia Customer Here...

I see a lot of people validating the math of TW taking over a market 5 times larger, but what most of you don't understand, living in the affected areas is extremely frustrating.

Here's a small comparison in my view:
When adelphia were around, calling customer service was painless, you only had a wait time of 5-15 minutes at the most. Customer Service Reps. were extremely helpful, there wasn't any need to have to much stress added to the conversation. At the end of a call you felt you were helped and served as a customer.

With TW coming in, call wait times for me are a minimum of 50 minutes, then being put on hold for the right department which can take another hour (2 hours on the phone????). I won't lie, When you call about you Cable TV they are much more responsive and i can usually get off the phone within 45 minutes (Still way too much). Out of 5 calls being made about the HSI service i encountered 4 very inpatient and impolite Cust. Srvc. Reps., i was so frustrated with the fact that i had to be on the phone for 2 hours each time i called, and to top it off being addressed with such little disregard to the fact that i am a customer, i just couldn't take it anymore and i switched to AT&T (No Contract Elite Tier).... At least they pick up the phone when you call, and they have the Patience to talk to you.

en102
Canadian, eh?
Valencia, CA

en102

I've been there before... (initial installation of cable modem in Canada - +2 hour waits each time.)
When you have to pay big $$$ and still receive poor service, its time to check your options. Satellite/DSL works for me. Sure, I've had some outages, but all were resolved quickly (same day/next day onsite).

Authority
join:2000-03-29
Los Angeles, CA

Authority to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

That's because ANYTHING is better than Adelphia.
oddlager
join:2001-11-16
Fullerton, CA

oddlager to mdttb

to mdttb

Re: TWC Sucks!

said by mdttb:

Only bitch I have is the info commercials late at might they were bearable on Adelphia but now that TWC has the reins it's a fricking joke for us late night crowd just about every channel has them now.
"The reins"? Hard to believe in 2007 there's still people who think the cable co has anything to do with the content on the channels.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Authority

Premium Member

to Authority

said by Authority:
said by hobgoblin:

That's because ANYTHING is better than Adelphia.
So they are complaining eh?

Your post like many before it makes little sense.

Hob
page: 1 · 2 · next