dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-03-23 11:11:53: While phone company lobbyists couldn't sell new "franchise reform" laws on the federal level via Ted Stevens, they've had great success convincing the FCC, state legislators (and the press and public) that stripping towns and cities of their regulato.. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to batterup

Premium Member

to batterup

Re: Sounds Good to Me

no... but your post was really way off course.. and stupid.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

wake up and smell the rate INCREASES..

Telcos's offerings is NOT less expensive than the alternatives!! They are equal or higher than what cable and satellite offer today. Verizon's per set top rentals at $5/month std, $12/month hidef, and $19 hidef/dvr!! They are holding you upside down for every last penny!!! Robing you deaf dumb and blind with franchise fees which are generally not disclosed until you get your first bill?! Sounds vaguely familiar to those who have POTS, or CELLULAR phone service for all the $XX dollars per month tack-ons.

But what does the cable industry offer in return?! $100 triple play for ONE YEAR ONLY as a lure? Pfft!
That's not real competition and states better wake up already, or the ftc will have to go back to the drawing board on LIMITING cable tv rate increases which will affect Verizon/Telcos just as much as Cablecos!!

MrsMiller
Certified Curmudgeon
Premium Member
join:2006-11-27
Paige, TX

MrsMiller to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2

Re: Forget cable

As for me, I live in Central Texas, on the side of a small hill, amongst towering pine trees. I am also in the protected habitat of a local amphibian and not allowed to clear land without special permits. I am 50 miles from Austin, TX and can receive an intermittant signal from one of their TV stations. Because of the trees, I have no clear view of the southern sky for satellite signals. DSL is not available in my area. Even wireless is spotty in this area. If I want TV or broadband internet my only choice is cable.

You don't have to be in a total wilderness to be limited.

Octopussy2
Premium Member
join:2003-03-30
Batavia, IL

Octopussy2 to batterup

Premium Member

to batterup

So, that would be a "no" about a specific town?
marcos04
join:2006-09-27
New York, NY

marcos04 to marigolds

to marigolds
"Care to provide proof for that? AT&T was unable to provide proof when Congress asked them to and retracted their statements."

The FCC quoted telco testimony about a Florida municipality making similar demands in their December 20th Ruling on video franchising. Representatives of the Florida municipality claimed in the press that the story was entirely a fabrication.

But . . . AT&T did donate 1 million to a community center in Illinois. But this was a personal project of Congressman Bobby Rush. In exchange Rush signed on as a co-sponsor of the Barton-COPE Bill in the House. Not exactly a city extorting a corporation - more like a corporation buying political patronage.

Cable TV is a hugely profitable industry. In NYC alone, Time Warner posts over 1.3 billion in gross revenue. It's completely acceptable for local municipalities to request non-commercial channels and access facilities, iNets for municipal and emergency services, and fee set-asides to manage and maintain public right of ways.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by marcos04:

It's completely acceptable for local municipalities to request non-commercial channels and access facilities, iNets for municipal and emergency services, and fee set-asides to manage and maintain public right of ways.
In your opinion. In my opinion, it is a tax on the people because they will pay for these amenities in higher prices. It is just a sneaky way for local pols to tax their constituents while blaming someone else for the higher cable costs.
Expand your moderator at work
TechBob
join:2007-03-18

TechBob to Octopussy2

to Octopussy2

Re: hastily written rebuttal

Not exactly true, In the Great state of Kentucky, the PSC will step in and require" Bellsouth" or "The New At&t",which ever you prefer, to provide telephone service to a customer. In a timely manner too. So you can't generally say we aren't forced to provide basic service.

Octopussy2
Premium Member
Batavia, IL

Octopussy2

Premium Member

I was speaking about deploying video services - not phone.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to MrsMiller

Premium Member

to MrsMiller

but you can do things to get signals... put your dish on a mast, cut down a few of the trees.. move closer to civilization. Your post had nothing to do with what I said. Another user made claims that even in metro areas, the most people can get is 2 channels.. I called him on the carpet and you come back to tell me your rare exception story.

The only limit placed on you is your own desires of personal choice. Should you, in your situation, have the same access as the rest of us that drudge the city to have them? Should you have choices living where you chose to? I'd say you're lucky to have cable where you're at.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2

said by fiberguy2:

no... but your post was really way off course.. and stupid.
Thank you. You are the undisputed master of stupid. How long ago did The Telephone Company show you the door?
batterup

batterup to Octopussy2

Premium Member

to Octopussy2
said by Octopussy2:

So, that would be a "no" about a specific town?
Is having to building a swimming pool unreasonable? Is setting up a permanent $50,000.000.00 a year scholarship to be doled out by the local hogs unreasonable?

Octopussy2
Premium Member
Batavia, IL

Octopussy2

Premium Member

Again, name the specific town and proof.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Octopussy2:

Again, name the specific town and proof.
You have no standing to do anything concerning this issue so why would I waste my time?
krayzie bone
join:2006-09-03
Marietta, GA

krayzie bone to houselog442

to houselog442
Can you please go away? you have absolutely nothing to add of value or anything factual for that matter.

haha i laugh at your big brother comment. If anyone wants to have a big brother state, it's your lovely, patriotic hero George W. Bush. It's the media (TV, radio, ink) that wants to control us and the way we think. Looks like they already have a foothold on your soul...
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

said by Ahrenl:

There are 30,000 people in my town, should we drive down to Gilette stadium for every selectman's meeting/town meeting/school committee meeting/finance board meeting/zoning board meeting/conservation board meeting/DPW meeting etc.?
Until you show me that all 30K people are actually interested in attending such meetings, your point is null, IMO.
In that case, I could care less about your opinion. It is arbitrarily null, for the same ridiculous reason. :P

We had so many people show up at a town meeting 6 months ago that we had to setup TWO overflow areas, linking them by cell phones. When both these auditoriums, and the main auditorium were packed full, people, invariably turned themselves away.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to fiberguy2

MVM

to fiberguy2

I don't think you looked at the map I put up.
I live in the Willamette Valley, home of over 2 million people and four separate metropolitan areas including the one I live in.
I do "drudge the city" and do not have access to over the air channels.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to Ahrenl

Premium Member

to Ahrenl

Ok, your experience is different than what I've seen in several communities. Must be nice to have a community that cares.
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl

It's amazing how many people will show if you tell them you're either going to fire teachers or raise taxes for them umpteenth time. People got real fired up..
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next