spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-05-11 14:29:24: The NAACP's Greg Moore laments the state of broadband deployment in the Asbury Park Press, criticizing the President's failed effort to deploy universal broadband by this year. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

Painting all opponents of "net neutrality" with sell-out ...

... label seems to be a favorite tactic of those who support net neutrality. As if anyone with an opinion different from theirs is automatically a bought and paid for shill of the cable and telco firms and couldn't possibly have come to their decision on their own. It is a lame tactic that avoids discussion of the merits and is merely an ad-hominem debate tactic.
--
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22

show us that the NAACP hasn't accepted money from telco's in the past few years.

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

3 recommendations

Why is NAACP still around

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to morbo

Re: Painting all opponents of "net neutrality" with sell-out ...

said by morbo:

show us that the NAACP hasn't accepted money from telco's in the past few years.
And if they have, so what!! I am sure the NAACP accepts donations from thousands of companies and millions of people. It does not mean that every policy stance they take was based on strings-attached donations. What, you think they have some computer program that analyzes every policy stance they have against the stated goals of every donor on dozens of topics. And then does some weighted average to determine their positions? LOL.
--
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ninjatutle

Re: Why is NAACP still around

For the same reason the Christian Coalition is still around.

To get cheap broadband access for those that don't have access to it, then force the media companies and ISP's to stop sending smut down the tubes so our children have a chance of being good moral citizens of this country.
--
:: my trivial ramblings ::

xerxes3642

join:2006-02-24
Saint Charles, MO

once again

naacp talking about crap they know nothing about. who listens to the naacp on corporate franchising issues anyway? why are they even involved? sounds like they need to shut the f*^% up and go back to attacking universities for not having enough diversity.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to FFH

their stance on this issue REEKS of telco astroturf campaigns.

Necronomikro

join:2005-09-01

1 recommendation

reply to DaSneaky1D

said by DaSneaky1D :
then force the media companies and ISP's to stop sending smut down the tubes so our children have a chance of being good moral citizens of this country.
I hope that this is a joke. If parents would watch what their kids are doing, and use vchip and monitoring software on the computers.... you know what, forget it, my mind is going numb from reading what you posted.

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to ninjatutle

You'll find that some people's very existence depends on an atmosphere of discord and unrest. To admit otherwise would require them to get real jobs.

To this end, if there is a lack of controversy they simply create a few to keep themselves relevant and in demand.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Ima

join:2003-10-23
Little Rock, AR
reply to xerxes3642

Re: once again

You're quite hostile towards them.. but why?

Anyway, they can voice their opinion/stance on the matter, hell everyone else in the world does when they have no clue what they're talking about anyhow. Why should the NAACP be excluded?

jtudor
Xm 60's On 6 Freak
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-07
Morganton, NC

2 recommendations

reply to ninjatutle

Typical NAACP doublespeak!

Me think black man speak with forked tongue

The NAACP is still around for the same reason that there is still a "Miss Black America" contest even though there have been several black "Miss America's" in recent years.

The answer is $$$$$$$ and that's all!
--
Best of luck

"Do, or Do not, there is no try!" Yoda

odreian615

join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

lies I tell you

I'm black and went to some of the worst hoods in Chicago to fix peoples computers with my laptop I get on a average of ten damn wifi signals no matter how poor the the neighborhood is

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to DaSneaky1D

said by DaSneaky1D:

For the same reason the Christian Coalition is still around.
The NAACP is out there spreading the gospel too?!?!?

james1

join:2001-02-26

1 recommendation

reply to ninjatutle

Because every race has extremist racist bigots.

james1

join:2001-02-26
reply to Necronomikro

he wasn't saying it as his opinion. That is what those organisations mission statements are is all.

dariena

join:2005-04-24
Germantown, MD
reply to odreian615

Re: lies I tell you

said by odreian615:

I'm black and went to some of the worst hoods in Chicago to fix peoples computers with my laptop I get on a average of ten damn wifi signals no matter how poor the the neighborhood is
Well I guess that means everything is ok!

BBR Anti Agenda

@efenderhosting.com
reply to xerxes3642

said by xerxes3642:

naacp talking about crap they know nothing about. who listens to the naacp on corporate franchising issues anyway? why are they even involved? sounds like they need to shut the f*^% up and go back to attacking universities for not having enough diversity.
Sounds bitter, someone has issues.

This is a very irresponsible "news" item. The headline makes it seem like the entire NAACP supports Greg Moore position on broadband deployment. It may surprise some people that not all African-Americans think exactly alike, even if they belong to the same organization. No where does Greg Moore imply that he is speaking on behalf of the NAACP. George W. Bush is white, does that mean everyone who is white support his views? Of course not.

This "news" item does it's best to make it seem like the NAACP is talking out of both sides of their mouths. If you read the release, the NAACP of Florida supports the bill because it increases competiton, which help to keep prices down.

What this "news" item fails to mention is that the cherry-picking provisions were taken out of the bill the NAACP supported. This is FOX NEWS style reporting. Slanting and distorting facts coupled with inflaming sensitive issues is low. BBR should be ashamed.

Necronomikro

join:2005-09-01
reply to james1

I sincerely hope so. I apologize for my previous remark if that's the case.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

free-ride?

last time I checked, Google, Yahoo, etc. were all PAYING for their bandwidth already (come on, how else will they even be on-line) and I'd imagine it's not chump change with their traffic. So, why is this even a concern? Getting tired of these greedy corp types thinking that they can control every little %*$%#* thing.

bah, go away!

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 recommendation

reply to BBR Anti Agenda

quote:
This "news" item does it's best to make it seem like the NAACP is talking out of both sides of their mouths.
The NAACP does that for themselves. Effort wasn't really required.
quote:
If you read the release, the NAACP of Florida supports the bill because it increases competiton, which help to keep prices down.
It does? Surely then you can find me heaps of real Florida consumer advocates who think SB0998 was a good idea. You can't? That's because they all think it's an awful bill.
quote:
What this "news" item fails to mention is that the cherry-picking provisions were taken out of the bill the NAACP supported.
Incorrect, and makes no sense. Actually, all of of the amendments concerned locals tried to include in the bill to prevent cherry picking were pulled, according to my conversations with Florida PIRG's Brad Ashwell.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

1 recommendation

Offensive

said by snippet above :
"...The effects could be disastrous for low-income and minority communities, pricing them out of the broadband market by..."
The NAACP, once the best example of a strong "grass roots" organization that fought for the common man...of all ethnicity's, is now nothing more than another corrupt Washington lobby. Under the guise of fighting a war they won a long time ago, they have reduced themselves to poverty pimps in search of a guilt-paycheck.

I find it highly insulting this bozo correlates "low-income" and "minority" as one. If he were some right-wing neocon, I could better understand his broad brushed bigotry. He is simply looking for continued "donations" from even dumber Corporations.

I wonder if he would consider This Guy among one of the "low-income minorities" (because he describes the two as one in the same) that is lacking Internet access?

tapeloop
Not bad at all, really.
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Airstrip One
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

quote:
This "news" item does it's best to make it seem like the NAACP is talking out of both sides of their mouths.
I'm sorry, but I can't find anything that indicates Moore's opinion is that of the entire NAACP. I wouldn't be surprised if others in the organization disagreed with him, considering conflict caused the most recent president Bruce Gordon (who, if you're keeping score, was a Verizon & CBS exec) to resign after little over a year.
--
I cannot stand demagoguery. If you disagree with my stance, you're a blithering twit. You're not a twit, are you?

calvoiper

join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

1 recommendation

reply to morbo

More accurately, their stance reeks of longing for the days when various "wealth redistribution" programs could be hidden in monopoly utility rates (discount rates for low income, etc., etc.) With the advent of competition, the true cost of these subsidies becomes clear and has to either be fairly spread around the industry (effectively as a fully disclosed "tax") or discontinued.

I think the NAACP, like other liberal groups, is fully aware of the consequences of not having Net Neutrality regulation--the "backroom kickback" culture that develops in such a situation limits new entrants and competition--thereby making it easier for wealth redistribution schemes to be hidden in the rates of one or two players, rather than having to be an explicit surcharge on the rates of 4 or 5 players.

Some of these "consumer and ratepayer groups" are still smarting that they missed the boat and didn't somehow get subsidies for cellular rates to placate their supporters, and they are determined to use any trick they can to hide subsidy schemes in the broadband world.

calvoiper
--
VoIP--the death knell of remaining voice monopolies!

calvoiper

join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA
reply to pokesph

Re: free-ride?

You have to remember, the telcos (and now, the cablecos) believe that they "own" the customer, and that content and other providers should pay extortion charges to reach the end user.

Just like the "access charges" that local telcos charge to LD companies, this is one way of getting paid twice for the same local distribution plant.

(Or, to look at it another way, it's a way of getting paid by someone else for the local distribution plant so an established ISP can undercharge its customers, thereby discouraging competition even though a new technology might be far cheaper. The newbie doesn't have the "heft" to extort kickbacks from the content providers and so can't offer the subsidized rates the established ISP can.)

calvoiper
--
VoIP--the death knell of remaining voice monopolies!

soothsayer15

join:2002-03-01
Irving, TX
reply to Karl Bode

quote:
said by Karl Bode:

quote:
Wow. Talk about an objective rational response. The previous two were right. Nowhere does Greg Moore claim to be speaking for the NAACP.

Your article is very misleading and I can see why people would question it's agenda. You fail to mention that the bill passed 117-2. The Florida legislature isn't made up of 117 black members and 2 white ones. This vote was almost unanimous which shows black, white, Latino, republican and democrat voted for this. Why the need to single out the NAACP?

»www.miamiherald.com/458/story/92084.html

Like I've said numerous times in the past, no one reads the articles or researches for themselves. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but sayings it's news is bull. Unfortunately few people can tell the difference between a news article and an editorial.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

It's a business.

A business has to have a return on investment or the stock holders will bail and the business will fail.

If you legislate a practice that will not make money it will not get built. There was a time when the universal service at an affordable price was the law. That time is long gone.

Ma Bell is dead and yet the people bitch and the US falls farther down the list of the world's networks.

Lil Jon
Premium
join:2006-06-26
Cincinnati, OH
reply to odreian615

Re: lies I tell you

said by odreian615:

Yup, i dunno wtf ppl think black people dont use the internet.

anywho, how do you get your business? like how do you get to know these people in these hoods so that they'd want you to fix their computer? Do you network on mySpace?

soothsayer15

Irving, TX

1 recommendation

reply to calvoiper

said by calvoiper:

More accurately, their stance reeks of longing for the days when various "wealth redistribution" programs could be hidden in monopoly utility rates (discount rates for low income, etc., etc.) With the advent of competition, the true cost of these subsidies becomes clear and has to either be fairly spread around the industry (effectively as a fully disclosed "tax") or discontinued.

I think the NAACP, like other liberal groups, is fully aware of the consequences of not having Net Neutrality regulation--the "backroom kickback" culture that develops in such a situation limits new entrants and competition--thereby making it easier for wealth redistribution schemes to be hidden in the rates of one or two players, rather than having to be an explicit surcharge on the rates of 4 or 5 players.

Some of these "consumer and ratepayer groups" are still smarting that they missed the boat and didn't somehow get subsidies for cellular rates to placate their supporters, and they are determined to use any trick they can to hide subsidy schemes in the broadband world.

calvoiper
BBR is playing propaganda machine on this one. Somehow BBR failed to mention the bill passed 117-2. For those of you that aren't math majors, that almost unanimous. Florida legislature isn't made up of 117 black/liberal/democrats members and 2 white/conservative/republicans.

»www.miamiherald.com/458/story/92084.html

Maybe that little tidbit was left out of purpose to inflame members and drive an agenda which is fraking disgusting, if that is the case. Two issues that had nothing to do with each other were combined to make this news(I use that term lightly) story.

No one feels that can fight propaganda with honest reporting, so they turning into propaganda machines themselves. A half-truth is just as bad as a lie.

soothsayer15

Irving, TX
reply to batterup

Re: It's a business.

said by batterup:

A business has to have a return on investment or the stock holders will bail and the business will fail.

If you legislate a practice that will not make money it will not get built. There was a time when the universal service at an affordable price was the law. That time is long gone.

Ma Bell is dead and yet the people bitch and the US falls farther down the list of the world's networks.
That's what a lot of users here fail to recognize. They seem to want something for nothing while pissing and moaning about stockholders. Those evil stockholders grease the wheels of our economy.

For some reason BBR users think stockholders are shriveled up geezers buying yachts with their money. Investors with the most say-so are the Institutional Investors investing billions of dollars for a steady reliable return. They don't understand the Major stockholders responsibility is to the people that trusted them with their money, like those in 401k plans. Earning a steady rate of return so millions of people can retire is their priority. Making sure people can get 100 Mbps symmetrical downloads on torrents is not.

Freezone

join:2000-09-29
Southfield, MI
reply to jtudor

said by jtudor:

Typical NAACP doublespeak!

The NAACP is still around for the same reason that there is still a "Miss Black America" contest even though there have been several black "Miss America's" in recent years.
Fnny thing is no one cares about either contest, unless there is sex, drugs and tears involved.