spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-05-23 14:01:54: The battle to make money from the bewildered heats up. 1. Opendns. ..

iotastorm

join:2006-01-24
Florissant, MO

And greed flourishes on the Net as usual.

So many ways to get a few bucks for a mistyped url - click thru and re-distribute more Malware...

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

Freaking Morons

One more nail in the anti-spam coffin... One of the good methods for screening against spam sources was to drop connections for hosts that do not resolve. Crap like this breaks that.
--
Everyday, thousands of new cars are delivered to their new owners with poorly-selected radio station presets.

supergirl

join:2007-03-20
Pensacola, FL

1 edit
reply to iotastorm

Re: And greed flourishes on the Net as usual.

said by iotastorm:

So many ways to get a few bucks for a mistyped url - click thru and re-distribute more Malware...
I think all spammers, pop-up nuts, and DNS redirectors can live forever in the Phamtom Zone or hell.

And, just think, soon we'll be paying taxes to get this crap!!! Taxes suck!

ColorBASIC
8-bit Fun
Premium
join:2006-12-29
Corona, CA

Where's ICANN?

Isn't this .cm stuff one of the things ICANN is supposed to police?

davidu

join:2006-12-28
San Francisco, CA

I wouldn't say were furious...

I just think it's lame what Google is doing.

I mean... use the smell test. Does this smell bad? Is it giving users a good experience?
Compare:
»www.google.com/hws/dell/afe?hl=e···soft.xom
»www.google.com/hws/gateway/afe?h···soft.xom
»www.google.com/hws/sony/afe?hl=e···soft.xom
»www.google.com/hws/emachines/afe···soft.xom
with
»www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mi···e+Search
(and if you want to see ours)
»guide.opendns.com/?url=microsoft.xom

aliebe

join:2001-09-02
Blairstown, NJ

2 edits

Speaking of Typos....

I think the author means Colombia, not Columbia...or was that a joke?

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to davidu

Re: I wouldn't say were furious...

So much for "do no evil". They're becoming just like any
other big megacorp. And this is only one example of that.

gwbuffalo

join:2001-12-08
Mokena, IL

Absolutely Insane

I hate seeing crap like this from two companies that I usually like in Dell and Google. This just reeks of back alley deals and lack of concern for what the consumer actually wants. These guys know that 95% of the people that buy their product will probably not know or care that this kind of crap is installed by default, they'll just think it's the way the 'net works. I understand Dell wants to eek out a few more bucks, but come on, this is just sad.
--
Alt-This -- My Tech Podcast

nuclei2v5x

join:2003-07-07
Leesburg, GA

never

i will never buy a dell now because of this

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

Wrong tag line

Shouldn't the tag line for this headline be "company vs cmpany"?

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to davidu

Re: I wouldn't say were furious...

OpenDNS is 'opt-in'; Google/Dell is 'opt-out'. I support opt-in; I oppose opt-out. Opt-out is what makes spam legal (according to "CAN-SPAM"), and I HATE spam (almost as much as I hate the RIAA and SoundExchange).

Just another reason not to buy a Dell.

(I don't get the "furious" label by justin either--I guess long posts equate to furious for some; some people, though--such as David--just try to be thorough.)
--
Wherever you go, there you are.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nuclei2v5x

Re: never

There goes my purchases as well.

I won't even aim customers looking for laptops to them any more.

As far as google goes. Looks like i will be using lycos more now.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

2 edits

Mr. Ham's house of cards could ...

Soon come tumbling down....

I sense that lawyers for corporations that have trademarks connected to some of these typo'd domain names will be having a chat and shakedown session with him in the future...to quote from the article..

"Bitter domainers are one thing, lawyers another. And at the moment, Ham's biggest concern is that corporate counsels will come after him claiming that the Cameroon typo scheme is an abuse of their trademarks. He may be right, since this is the first time he's been identified as the orchestrator.

When asked about the .cm play, John Berryhill, a top domain attorney who doesn't work for Ham, practically screams into the phone, "You know who did that? Do you have any idea how many people want to know who's behind that?""

Hmmmm....doesn't look good.....personnally I can't stand people or corporations that try to corrupt the open architecture of the Internet for their own monetary gain....I grind my teeth every time I run across one of those stupid 'domain parking' sites when I typo an address....just give me the 'page cannot be displayed' error - thank you very much....

GilbertMark
Premium
join:2001-05-02
Gilbert, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Cox HSI
reply to nuclei2v5x

Re: never

said by nuclei2v5x:

i will never buy a dell now because of this
I would have never bought a Dell before anyway.
--
Got a V3 or a V3i or an L7? Want to get the most out of them? Check out my sites »hacktheV3.com and »hacktheV3i.com and »hacktheL7.com

lt_wentoncha
Red6

join:2002-05-12
reply to N10Cities

Re: Mr. Ham's house of cards could ...

said by N10Cities:

Soon come tumbling down....

I sense that lawyers for corporations that have trademarks connected to some of these typo'd domain names will be having a chat and shakedown session with him in the future...to quote from the article..

"Bitter domainers are one thing, lawyers another. And at the moment, Ham's biggest concern is that corporate counsels will come after him claiming that the Cameroon typo scheme is an abuse of their trademarks. He may be right, since this is the first time he's been identified as the orchestrator.

When asked about the .cm play, John Berryhill, a top domain attorney who doesn't work for Ham, practically screams into the phone, "You know who did that? Do you have any idea how many people want to know who's behind that?""

Hmmmm....doesn't look good.....personnally I can't stand people or corporations that try to corrupt the open architecture of the Internet for their own monetary gain....I grind my teeth every time I run across one of those stupid 'domain parking' sites when I typo an address....just give me the 'page cannot be displayed' error - thank you very much....
He's got money to go to war. I doubt he's afraid, really. I do want the preservation of Error 404, though.
--
Arrogant People Suck.
AMW
FBI's Most Wanted
Interpol's MW

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

Where have we seen this before?...

All this money-making over domain typos is turning into a case of Verisign all over again... I wonder if someone's going to start squatting now..
--
--Kradorex Xeron