spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-06-13 09:13:52: The Los Angeles Times says that AT&T has joined forces with the MPAA and RIAA to develop anti-piracy technology aimed at seeking out copyright infringement on its network. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Fingers crossed

So far Verizon has been ignoring calls to invade my privacy while using their pipe. Hope it stays that way. I have to like Verizon for some reason you know.

"Verizon Communications Inc., which has fiercely guarded the privacy of its customers, has refused so far to offer a network anti-piracy tool. It defeated in court the recording industry's demands to reveal names of those allegedly involved in downloading pirated songs."
--
If only the Verizon CSRs worked this well.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

I wonder...

How much AT&T is getting from Hollywood/RIAA?
--
Fossils, Not Gospels.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Do Their Homework First?

Is AT&T going to jump headfirst into the shallow piracy catching pool, or are they going to insist that anyone who wants them to rat out copyright infringers provide actual, irrefutable and indisputable proof that the person in question actually violated the copyright?
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

WeSRT4

join:2000-11-20
Mobile, AL

This is the last straw

If Mediacom ever decides to deploy my home phone and DSL go bye bye. AT&T, I have had enough of your stupid tactics.

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Ut-O

Guess it's time to drop Cingular and find a new service. I in no way want to contribute to a company is "aligned with Hollywood."

Verizon

@sgns.net

Interesting.

Not a very good way to gain customers. When all their customers get busted and have to cancel there DSL subscription because their 80 year old grandma was downloading a "Free" song that somone offered to them. Soon they won't have anymore customers. LOL

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Lark3po

Re: Ut-O

said by Lark3po:

Guess it's time to drop Cingular and find a new service. I in no way want to contribute to a company is "aligned with Hollywood."
Show me a company that is not aligned with Hollywood. Good luck.
--
"A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

ATTgay

@sgns.net

Maybe time for everyone to switch to Cable.....

Not a very good way to gain customers. When all their customers get busted and have to cancel there DSL subscription because their 80 year old grandma downloaded a "Free" song that somone offered to them. Soon they won't have anymore customers. LOL

steve19726
bum
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Chicago, IL

Good luck..

All I have to say is.. good luck combating piracy.. others have tried and failed miserably!

XBL2009
------

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

This could be big for Covad !

This is great there will be people running back to clec. I use to have Earthlink via Covad and it was solid although a little bit expensive.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to steve19726

Re: Good luck..

said by steve19726:

All I have to say is.. good luck combating piracy.. others have tried and failed miserably!
I have to wonder whether the cost of trying to stop an unstoppable force is cheaper than the "losses" incurred from piracy itself.

Can anyone - for just the sake of conversation here - name any copy protection or piracy stopping method that has actually has any meaningful impact?

When I think of people trying to stop piracy, I think of a lot of wasted time and effort. Not to say that stopping piracy isn't a legitimate cause, but I just have to wonder where the law of diminishing returns starts - money spent to try and stop it vs money lost in not stopping it.
--
"When you get lost in your imaginatory vagueness, your foresight becomes a nimble vagrant."

[Ramblings] [RIP Millie 1993-2006]

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium
join:2001-12-16
PRK

1 edit
reply to ATTgay

Re: Maybe time for everyone to switch to Cable.....

What to get "Letters" from a CableCo instead?
Read about "Letters" in the Comcast forum here.
Ok that idea works...
--
If only the Verizon CSRs worked this well.

CrazyFingers

join:2003-10-01
Columbia, MO

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to steve19726

Hey now, just because "the article is vague on specifics because the technology hasn't been designed or implemented yet..." doesn't mean all you dirty, dirty pirates aren't in real trouble.

"AT&T insists that once a technology is chosen, and their wookie scientists from beyond the moon build it, and the President of the United States of Hollywood unleashes his untamed hordes of rabid blind bassett hounds on your pathetic peg-legged-eye-patched asses, you'll all be sorry!!"

Y'all better get to repentin'. Ayup.
--
Burrow owl...burrow owl...

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to steve19726
Yeah, this will not work. If I rip a CD and upload it to someone else, how are they going to know? I can rip it in various formats, saving it with different bitrates. I can then zip it and rename it to something like "How to cook four humans.txt". Are they going to compare every byte on their network to a possible match?

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

reply to Jeffrey
said by Jeffrey:

Can anyone - for just the sake of conversation here - name any copy protection or piracy stopping method that has actually has any meaningful impact?
What about copy protections for video games, more specifically, the technology used to prevent copying of PS2, PSP, Xbox and Xbox 360 games. You don't hear about rampant piracy of this content.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

raydog1
Feel Secure
Premium
join:2003-07-10
La Vergne, TN

Correction. . .

"The article is vague on specifics because the technology hasn't been invented yet."

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

Do your own research!

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by Jeffrey:

What about copy protections for video games, more specifically, the technology used to prevent copying of PS2, PSP, Xbox and Xbox 360 games. You don't hear about rampant piracy of this content.
Excellent point. I didn't think of that, but I will agree with that. I don't think your average person is going to mod his Xbox (and risk banning from XBL) just to save a few $. If the DVDs were able to be copied on the computer, and then inserted into the Xbox and work, I believe we'd be hearing a lot more about that. But, that is not the case.
--
"When you get lost in your imaginatory vagueness, your foresight becomes a nimble vagrant."

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

Re: AT&T to Target Pirated Content

So we can't use torrents anymore?

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

Losing Common Carrier status?

It was my understanding that Internet Service Providers enjoyed a special status called "Common Carrier." One of the benefits to this status was that they weren't liable for illegal activities taking place on their lines.

Just like AT&T couldn't be sued because two bank robbers coordinated their plans using AT&T's phone service, AT&T couldn't be sued because two file sharers swapped pirated movies over AT&T's DSL service.

The catch was (in my understanding) that AT&T couldn't try to proactively reduce illegal activities since that would open them up to lawsuits on the activities that they didn't stop. (They could still react to illegal activities, such as disconnecting a user found to be distributing pirated movies.)

Now, with AT&T seeking out alleged copyright infringement on their network, would they be opening themselves up to lawsuits from other copyright holders whose work AT&T didn't stop from being illegally shared?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Lark3po

said by Lark3po:

said by ptrowski:

Do your own research!
All the cell phone companies have some tie into Hollywood.
--
"A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

amused

@proxyweb.net

Have they thought this through?

Irrate Inc.: Your network is being used to illegally distribute our software.
AT&T: Code in with your MPAA/RIAA credentials.
Irrate Inc.: We don't have any. We make software, not garbage.
AT&T: Are you with the government? We can give you anything you like if your with them.
Irrate Inc.: No, we're a corporation, like you.
AT&T: Oh. Sorry. It's impossible for us to do anything. Would you like to sign up for our priority tier? You'll be able to find infringers using our tubes twice as fast, with less waiting, guaranteed!
Irrate Inc.: No, thank you. Please stop your customer(s) from illegally distributing our software immediately.
AT&T: No. We're a carrier, not a content provider. We're protected and there's nothing you can do about it. We don't have to police the content on our network. Ignore the Hollywood dragnet.
Irrate Inc.: All lawyers on deck!

And after the first bit is filtered, AT&T is liable.

russotto

join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ
reply to Jason Levine

Re: Losing Common Carrier status?

No. AT&T is protected by the DMCA whether they seek out copyright violations or not.

russotto

join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

2 recommendations

Finish the sentence, T!

"As AT&T has begun selling pay-television services, the company has realized that its interests are more closely aligned with Hollywood"....

..."than with its customers".

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Jeffrey

I'm wondering what the game console manufacturers' secret is. I don't think it is technological, as everything you mentioned about other copy protection schemes has failed. Games certainly are not cheap either so that isn't it either.

Do the consoles use proprietary media? I know the PSP does but I do not know about what the others do.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
said by pnh102:

I'm wondering what the game console manufacturers' secret is. I don't think it is technological, as everything you mentioned about other copy protection schemes has failed. Games certainly are not cheap either so that isn't it either.

Do the consoles use proprietary media? I know the PSP does but I do not know about what the others do.
I don't know. AFAIK, Xbox and Xbox 360 do not use proprietary media, but I could be wrong.
--

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

Do the consoles use proprietary media?
I think they are all running on proprietary media now.

odreian615

join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

Didnt a European company

or a Canadaian one try this before and customers dumped them

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by Jeffrey:

I can copy any CD or DVD (even Blu-ray, but not HD DVD - yet) that you hand me.
YES! Even XBOX and PS2-3 games.
Now, you getting that console to accept the CD-R or DVD-R that has been burned... not my problem!

I can also show you *PAGES* of downloadable rips of console games.

Just because you may not know about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening...

As a side note:
It REALLY irks me to download a game that hasn't been tagged correctly and find out that it is an XBOX version and it no workie ona da computer.

They are out there.
Console users that have modded the boxes are uploading and downloading just like everyone else!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

All the cell phone companies have some ties to Hollywood.
Maybe so, but at least they don't openly sell their customers out just because Hollywood says so. IMO, this is a bad business tactic for AT&T, and as Tony Soprano said: "Don't sh*t where you eat."

Apple better start working with other carriers if they want to sell a significant amount of iPhones.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...