dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-06-13 09:13:52: The Los Angeles Times says that AT&T has joined forces with the MPAA and RIAA to develop anti-piracy technology aimed at seeking out copyright infringement on its network. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron

Premium Member

Fingers crossed

So far Verizon has been ignoring calls to invade my privacy while using their pipe. Hope it stays that way. I have to like Verizon for some reason you know.

"Verizon Communications Inc., which has fiercely guarded the privacy of its customers, has refused so far to offer a network anti-piracy tool. It defeated in court the recording industry's demands to reveal names of those allegedly involved in downloading pirated songs."

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

I wonder...

How much AT&T is getting from Hollywood/RIAA?

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen

Premium Member

Re: I wonder...

said by hopeflicker:

How much AT&T is getting from Hollywood/RIAA?
Better be enough to offset the potential liabilities of throwing away their "common carrier" status...
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Tell me about it, they are going to be responsible for all the things they don't catch when they step into the role of censor. I really don't think they should be, or that it will be enforced against them, but that's what the law says.

I'm sure ATT will do its usual job of respecting American citizens' privacy

Nanoprobe3
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

Nanoprobe3

Premium Member

American Thieves & Thugs has returned. They remind me of malaria.
Lyric
join:2005-11-26
Birmingham, AL

Lyric to axus

to axus
Oh dear. Time to head back to Charter...

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Do Their Homework First?

Is AT&T going to jump headfirst into the shallow piracy catching pool, or are they going to insist that anyone who wants them to rat out copyright infringers provide actual, irrefutable and indisputable proof that the person in question actually violated the copyright?

WeSRT4
join:2000-11-20
Mobile, AL

WeSRT4

This is the last straw

If Mediacom ever decides to deploy my home phone and DSL go bye bye. AT&T, I have had enough of your stupid tactics.

Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

Ut-O

Guess it's time to drop Cingular and find a new service. I in no way want to contribute to a company is "aligned with Hollywood."

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Re: Ut-O

said by Lark3po:

Guess it's time to drop Cingular and find a new service. I in no way want to contribute to a company is "aligned with Hollywood."
Show me a company that is not aligned with Hollywood. Good luck.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

Do your own research!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by Lark3po:
said by ptrowski:

Do your own research!
All the cell phone companies have some tie into Hollywood.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

All the cell phone companies have some ties to Hollywood.
Maybe so, but at least they don't openly sell their customers out just because Hollywood says so. IMO, this is a bad business tactic for AT&T, and as Tony Soprano said: "Don't sh*t where you eat."

Apple better start working with other carriers if they want to sell a significant amount of iPhones.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by Pirate515:
said by ptrowski:

All the cell phone companies have some ties to Hollywood.
Maybe so, but at least they don't openly sell their customers out just because Hollywood says so. IMO, this is a bad business tactic for AT&T, and as Tony Soprano said: "Don't sh*t where you eat."

Apple better start working with other carriers if they want to sell a significant amount of iPhones.
That we know about. I am sure it is a matter of time.

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to Pirate515

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515:

Cutting out the middle man and opening Apple stores really hurt them

These apple people will do whatever apple wants them to do.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Not true. We have a local option Corr Wireless that doesn't appear to have ties to Hollywood. I'm sure there are a lot of options for folks sick of the major providers.
jimbo21503
join:2004-05-10
Euclid, OH

jimbo21503

said by Lark3po:

said by ptrowski:

Not true. We have a local option Corr Wireless that doesn't appear to have ties to Hollywood. I'm sure there are a lot of options for folks sick of the major providers.
Please don't speak on behalf of everyone. That was an ignorant comment. I have access to 2 broadband technologies. DSL (AT&T) or local cable. I am switching to cable. My uncle, who lives about 3 miles from me, has only one: cable.

Sure there is Satelite and dialup. Satalite costs an arm and a leg, and who wants to go back to dialup? Actually we are planning on riding of our telephone soon. We have cell phones, who needs regular phone?

No wireless here that is cheap enough either.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

Before you start calling people ignorant I'd suggest you comprehend what you're replying to.

I'm not talking about cable/DSL/SAT or even internet. I'm talking about wireless phone services.
Expand your moderator at work
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Lark3po

to Lark3po
How can they be local? It looks like they resell The New AT&T by looking at their coverage map. They even use the Cingular Orange.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

How can they be local? It looks like they resell The New AT&T by looking at their coverage map. They even use the Cingular Orange.
Local as in they have an office down the street.

Forgive me but I thought it was common knowledge that the small companies commonly resell the major players services. Although at&t would still get some of my money, they wouldn't be getting it straight from me.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

But thats still supporting the AT&T either directly or not. Part of your monthly service fees still go to them. So there would be no point in changing. But not all small companies resell major players service. They buy smaller networks or build their own. Revol.us built their own network and also bought part of the Cricket network in Ohio, but still expanding as using their own network not someone else's.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

I'm not certain that Corr resells at&t service. Just because they use orange doesn't mean they are cingular. They've been around for years and years.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Their coverage map matches the Cingular Map thats in the Cingular Orange color.

Verizon
@sgns.net

Verizon

Anon

Interesting.

Not a very good way to gain customers. When all their customers get busted and have to cancel there DSL subscription because their 80 year old grandma was downloading a "Free" song that somone offered to them. Soon they won't have anymore customers. LOL

ATTgay
@sgns.net

ATTgay

Anon

Maybe time for everyone to switch to Cable.....

Not a very good way to gain customers. When all their customers get busted and have to cancel there DSL subscription because their 80 year old grandma downloaded a "Free" song that somone offered to them. Soon they won't have anymore customers. LOL

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
PRK

1 edit

Mactron

Premium Member

Re: Maybe time for everyone to switch to Cable.....

What to get "Letters" from a CableCo instead?
Read about "Letters" in the Comcast forum here.
Ok that idea works...

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

The "letters" people talk about from Comcast are either about excessive use, or they are doing their duty notifying a customer about a piracy claim being made against them by antoher party. That's quite a bit different from actively implementing anti-piracy technologies designed to police their own customers.

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
PRK

1 recommendation

Mactron

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

or they are doing their duty notifying a customer about a piracy claim being made against them by antoher party.
Their duty??? You mean they (Comcast) rolled over don't you ?
At least Verizon fought the RIAA and prevailed.

From the LA Times article...
"Verizon Communications Inc., which has fiercely guarded the privacy of its customers, has refused so far to offer a network anti-piracy tool. It defeated in court the recording industry's demands to reveal names of those allegedly involved in downloading pirated songs."

No "Letters" of any kind from Verizon here.

Thanks for playing.
--

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Ah, I knew Verizon was fighting them but missed the news that they had won. Very cool. Not that it helps me, I can't get Verizon internet service.

-- Rob

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mactron

MVM

to Mactron
said by Mactron:

]Their duty??? You mean they (Comcast) rolled over don't you ?
AFAIK, Comcast does not provided customer information to the complainants, they only forward the complaints to the alleged abuser. Can you prove otherwise?

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
PRK

Mactron

Premium Member

I'd suggest you read the discussion from the beginning this time.
»Maybe time for everyone to switch to Cable.....

Do all the research you want... »google.com

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 edits

NormanS

MVM

said by Mactron:

I'd suggest you read the discussion from the beginning this time.
»Maybe time for everyone to switch to Cable.....

Do all the research you want... »google.com
Eh? Why the recursive link? I have followed the Comcast "letter" discussions in the Comcast forums at DSLR. I have seen no indication, other than paranoid assumptions by folks who don't know, that Comcast is supplying customer information to the complainants. If they were, then the letters wouldn't be coming from Comcast, they'd be coming directly from the *IAA agents.
steve19726
bum
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Chicago, IL

steve19726

Premium Member

Good luck..

All I have to say is.. good luck combating piracy.. others have tried and failed miserably!

•••••••••••••••••••••••

XBL2009
------
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

XBL2009

This could be big for Covad !

This is great there will be people running back to clec. I use to have Earthlink via Covad and it was solid although a little bit expensive.

raydog1
Feel Secure
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10
La Vergne, TN

raydog1

Premium Member

Correction. . .

"The article is vague on specifics because the technology hasn't been invented yet."
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Re: AT&T to Target Pirated Content

So we can't use torrents anymore?

••••

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

Losing Common Carrier status?

It was my understanding that Internet Service Providers enjoyed a special status called "Common Carrier." One of the benefits to this status was that they weren't liable for illegal activities taking place on their lines.

Just like AT&T couldn't be sued because two bank robbers coordinated their plans using AT&T's phone service, AT&T couldn't be sued because two file sharers swapped pirated movies over AT&T's DSL service.

The catch was (in my understanding) that AT&T couldn't try to proactively reduce illegal activities since that would open them up to lawsuits on the activities that they didn't stop. (They could still react to illegal activities, such as disconnecting a user found to be distributing pirated movies.)

Now, with AT&T seeking out alleged copyright infringement on their network, would they be opening themselves up to lawsuits from other copyright holders whose work AT&T didn't stop from being illegally shared?

••••

amused
@proxyweb.net

amused

Anon

Have they thought this through?

Irrate Inc.: Your network is being used to illegally distribute our software.
AT&T: Code in with your MPAA/RIAA credentials.
Irrate Inc.: We don't have any. We make software, not garbage.
AT&T: Are you with the government? We can give you anything you like if your with them.
Irrate Inc.: No, we're a corporation, like you.
AT&T: Oh. Sorry. It's impossible for us to do anything. Would you like to sign up for our priority tier? You'll be able to find infringers using our tubes twice as fast, with less waiting, guaranteed!
Irrate Inc.: No, thank you. Please stop your customer(s) from illegally distributing our software immediately.
AT&T: No. We're a carrier, not a content provider. We're protected and there's nothing you can do about it. We don't have to police the content on our network. Ignore the Hollywood dragnet.
Irrate Inc.: All lawyers on deck!

And after the first bit is filtered, AT&T is liable.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

2 recommendations

russotto

Finish the sentence, T!

"As AT&T has begun selling pay-television services, the company has realized that its interests are more closely aligned with Hollywood"....

..."than with its customers".
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl

Re: Finish the sentence, T!

The interests that AT&T and their customers share, it both trying to get/keep as much of the customers money as possible. Ordinarily this would align other interests, but when there is seldom a choice of service provider, it becomes a matter of how much AT&T can force you to pay. I'm sure they'll have a "leave me out of the phone book *AA dragnet list" fee.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

Didnt a European company

or a Canadaian one try this before and customers dumped them

rahlquist
Redeye
join:2001-10-30
Villa Rica, GA

1 recommendation

rahlquist

Wow this is almost shocking....NOT!

I've been saying this since the wiretapping issue came up.

1. Action: Agree to roll over for government and compromise your customers with no real complaints. Result: Get approved to grow through mergers and acquisitions for being a good dog.

2. Action: Take suggestions from Hollywood to compromise your customers privacy. Result: Lower bandwidth usage by both FUD and prosecuted end users, lowering overall costs. Possibly a Hollywood kickback in cheaper programming too.

3. Profit!

Whats next? Monitor peoples emails for Aunt Betty's cookie recipe and steal that?

There is nothing to see here, move along..........

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

Great!

First they take over Bellsouth and Cingular, now a$$ kissing the RIAA and MPAA, whats next? Takeover of the United States?

Oh wait... they already have

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Re: Great!

said by exocet_cm:

First they take over Bellsouth and Cingular...
SBC had a joint stake with Bellsouth in the Cingular brand. When SBC bought AT&T, they took over that company, and changed their name. One has to wonder whether, after becoming the "new" AT&T, the Bellsouth takeover wasn't about getting full control of Cingular...

xNPC
As Usual, Have Nice Day
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Errington, BC

xNPC

Premium Member

you do know about the 3 branches of govt now? dont you?

1. corporate
2. military
and
3. hollywood.

we are all screwed. its just a matter of when.
SpookyET
join:2001-04-30
Lawrenceville, GA

SpookyET

Encrypted Traffic

Great, I just switched to AT&T's IFITL (formerly, BellSouth). They'll monitor everything you do in order to implement this technology. It won't work. Everything will move to encrypted traffic.

••••

sellout
@verizon.net

sellout

Anon

no customers

and exactly how many customers who have 100% legit uses for the internet does AT&T expect to pay them for broadband?

I would truly like to see AT&T's subscription rates now that they've completed the COMPLETE SELLOUT of customer privacy. At just the time when GOOGLE was seeing some heat for the extent to which they sell and resell customer data to the highest bidder and the lowest bidder and the middle bidder at the SAME TIME.

I hope these industries will bail out AT&T when they have to file for bankruptcy which will make MCI WORLDCOM look like a bake sale gone bad!
page: 1 · 2 · next