dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-06-24 12:40:27: Perhaps in the wake of such patent lawsuit as the Broadcom / Qualcomm cases, companies left and right are making sure they’ve got their patents in place. ..

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

1 recommendation

NOCMan

Premium Member

Prior Art

Many open routing protocols work in the same fashion. It's no different than metrics in OSPF.

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto
join:2001-02-10
USA

bigunk

Agreed, but could this be called WOSPF? Or is it something completely different that operates in a manner consistent with OSPF?

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

Let's patent ideas - they don't require any effort to create

Patenting just an idea, rather than the means by which to accomplish it is just stupid. For example, their algorithm should be patentable but not the broad claim of "automatically selecting the cheapest network." Their patent mentions choosing between available wireless connections. Does that mean if I create a similar technology stake a claim on the idea that the device can also use a wired connection in the determination, does that qualify as a new, separate patent?

I should patent the concept of a flying vehicle powered by flatulence (of the rider or of other animals). I also hereby patent the idea of a bicycle built for 17 riders, a foldable sidewalk, a floating anvil, and a mailbox that plays Journey's Greatest Hits (randomly selected) when mail arrives.

My "ideas" are just as valid as theirs.

The Beer
I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Premium Member
join:2001-07-24
Lincoln, NE

The Beer

Premium Member

Yea

Yea I think I will patent Least Cost Routing on any platform, gee.
SierraRob
join:2007-01-10
Prather, CA

1 edit

2 recommendations

SierraRob

Hmmm

"finds the cheapest method of file download so that you can save costs on your cell phone bill"

As opposed to Verizon's patent, where the device looks for the most EXPENSIVE way to download the file, then tacks on a "download convenience fee" and a "download surcharge recovery fee".

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

inteller to MooJohn

to MooJohn

Re: Let's patent ideas - they don't require any effort to create

your ideas are invalid and you will be crushed on July 3rd.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84 to MooJohn

to MooJohn
Technically you would patent the flying car, the bicycle, the sidewalk, the anvil, and a box. Then you would use those broad patents to steal from the guy who invents the flying car that runs on farts, the bicycle for 17 riders, the fold-able sidewalk, the floating anvil, and the mailbox that plays journey.
Of course those patents were just filed just to steal from the guys who actually came up with the technology including ways to do it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

My Patents

I want to patent "Doing things the most economic way" as well as the patent "For using Common Sense" and also Patent "Using logic to make a decision".

That way, anytime anyone does anything that saves them money, they have to pay me royalties.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to inteller

to inteller

Re: Let's patent ideas - they don't require any effort to create

LOL -- thanks alot!

I'm a huge fan of the original series; not so much of the movie. So far it looks like they just made a 2hr GM commercial with over-the-top graphics effects that's loosely based on the original show - like using character names and nothing else.

It's funny how there wasn't this much support for the original movie yet they're throwing millions at a "live action" version 20 years later.

I always wondered why they bothered to remake cartoons. Just show the old ones today and kids will think they're new -- you know they've never seen the original Transformers. It doesn't require anime-style animation to be interesting.

FWIW, I've used the avatar since around 1999, so I've been uncool for a long time

Fluker
join:2005-04-07
West Lafayette, IN

Fluker

In other words

Verizon will be the first to blacklist NEC even if only one model has this feature.

OR

They will charge you a monthly fee that is nominally cheaper than what you would pay to use their networks so that they get almost as much money for doing less actual lifting.

I hate Verizon's billing practices