spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-07-12 16:58:34: A newly approved royalty rate system set to go into effect on Sunday threatens to put many webcasters out of business by consuming their entire revenue streams -- and then some. ..

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

they cut off their nose to spite their face.

simple....all the internet radio will go away and the RIAA will be left holding the bag.

you stupid idiots.
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 recommendation

Re: they cut off their nose to spite their face.

IDIOTS!

Fools are too blind to see that when fewer people can listen, fewer will be buying.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

StumpMan
Premium
join:2001-07-26
Clinton, NC

1 recommendation

I think you guys should consider another alternative.

By pushing everyone else off the court, no one will be left except the ones controlling the money. Then they offer music on THEIR terms and at THEIR prices. No competition means they get the whole pie, not just a slice.

People call them idiots and fools, but I think they are looking at the long term picture..

(BTW I am not a fanboy, just offering up a different opinion on the situation)

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 recommendation

Not worried either way really... I'm burned out on music.

..and they are idiots.

One form of free(paid?) advertising that they are trying to "fee" into submission.... not very bright.
Seeing as these stations are already paying to play the tracks, and it is advertisement(they(RIAA) are getting paid to have someone advertise their goods for them... WTF?)... they are now going to charge more?
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Webcasters just have to open up shop 'offshore'.

As long as I can get my show...The Tom Leykis show.

»www.fmtalki.com

FiL
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD

1 recommendation

Same here...Im burned out on all these gimmicks out in music land...

There might be one or two acts/artists that deserve ear time, other then that, eff the music industry...buncha clones, reminds me what Apple and Microsoft did to Xerox.

And at the heart of it all lay the RIAA lames...
Time4aNAP
Premium
join:2007-04-09
Des Plaines, IL

said by FiL:

Same here...Im burned out on all these gimmicks out in music land...
...which is precisely why Internet radio needs to survive. It's the one place where you can find good, gimmick-free music.

There might be one or two acts/artists that deserve ear time, other then that, eff the music industry...buncha clones, reminds me what Apple and Microsoft did to Xerox.
Take brilliant but abandoned ideas, and run with them? That doesn't sound like the music industry of today...

You're forgetting that for every dumb and talentless "artist", there's a small army of equally dumb and talentless suits, whose job is to promote the mediocrity. And for every mediocre "artist" that's heavily promoted, there are an untold number of really talented artists who aren't promoted, and will more than likely end up living their own life of mediocrity as their talent goes to seed. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
--
Dead webcasters don't make cents.

FiL
Premium
Silver Spring, MD

Nah, Im very informed on the music industry having created/produced/written my own music for the last 8 years.

No sh@$ a garbage artist gets to the top because of heavy promotion and more so PAY OFFs... But the artist is still part of the problem.

Xerox abandoned their idea or got it stolen from them? Im pretty friggin sure they would've kept up dev. on the gui if not for the Apple five-finger discount. How is that not comparable? A brilliant idea is one that, in atleast 'murrika, makes you a lotttttt of money. Thats what these clones are doing; going for the cash crop instead of planting their own seeds...seems like a carbon copy example. High five for me!
Time4aNAP
Premium
Des Plaines, IL

said by FiL:

Nah, Im very informed on the music industry having created/produced/written my own music for the last 8 years.

No sh@$ a garbage artist gets to the top because of heavy promotion and more so PAY OFFs... But the artist is still part of the problem.
With all due respect, I have good reason to believe that you're biased. It seems that you're letting jealousy get the better of you. Vapid teenagers can certainly be gold diggers, but they typically lack the riches to buy their ticket to fame until after they have made their fortune.

Xerox abandoned their idea or got it stolen from them?
Neither. Xerox ran a R&D facility on Palo Alto, CA called the "Palo Alto Research Center", or PARC in acronym. Many valuable innovations were made at PARC: Ethernet, OOP, laser printing, the first practical windowing system and the first modern PC, to name a few.

Apparently the only people who didn't recognize the value of PARC's inventions was Xerox top management, who failed to capitalize on the priceless IP, and allowed it all to just walk away. The fact of the matter is that despite its momentous foresight, Xerox was nothing more than a copying machine company at heart. The top management at Xerox did in fact abandon the ideas of Xerox PARC employees. As a result, Xerox lost those ideas, the people who had the know-how, and the famed research facility.

Im [sic] pretty friggin [sic] sure they would've kept up dev. on the gui [sic] if not for the Apple five-finger discount.
Xerox never owned the graphical user interface to begin with. Therefore nobody could have stolen it from Xerox. Apple did apparently license some components of the Xerox Alto computer for a nominal fee. Needless to say, licensing is not theft. And it was the ongoing failure of Xerox top management to even attempt to profit from PARC inventions, nothing more.
--
Time4aNAP
Premium
Des Plaines, IL
said by StumpMan:

By pushing everyone else off the court, no one will be left except the ones controlling the money. Then they offer music on THEIR terms and at THEIR prices. No competition means they get the whole pie, not just a slice.
Their slice is most of the pie already. So, yeah, it would make sense that they'd want a pie-and-a-half. Greed knows no logic.

It's not spite, but pure economics. Catering to the complex tastes of true music lovers is difficult and costly. Trotting out a parade marginally talented but hot-n-slutty performers spawns new generations of cash cows who are content to buy the Cheap Stuff and ask no questions. Internet radio is the last refuge for the former. The RIAA makes more money if it's devoid of anything that might spark a glimmer of taste in the minds of the latter.
--
jkb246

join:2000-03-18
Carmel, IN
Look at the history of downloading. For a few years it was anything goes. Free downloading everywhere. Then came Itunes and people seem to be paying for music in droves. Now Universial wants to get rid of Itunes I would imagine to open there own site. Guess what will happen?????
People wont be buying much Universial because it wont play on the IPOD. The same is going to happen with internet radio. More people aren't going to listen to commercial FM. They are going to do something else.

One day they will figure it out. Valenti is gone. Just have to wait until the RIAA's Head Congress critter is gone and maybe then they will put in a younger person that understands technology.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by dadkins:

IDIOTS!

Fools are too blind to see that when fewer people can listen, fewer will be buying.
I'm sorry. Your use of logic and common sense does not apply to RIAA, MPAA or any other AA organization.

The fewer people listening, and therefor buying, will translate into another round of the RIAA proclaiming that rampant online piracy is further eroding their business model, ultimately calling for Congress (or some other powers that be) to enact more draconian laws that don't work.
--
Go Colts

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

»blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/bre···s-o.html

Soundexchange WILL NOT increase the royalty rates on sunday!!!! (While this whole mess gets sorted out)

I AM HAPPY THAT SOMEONE IS TAKING A STAND TO THIS CRAP!!!!!!!

VERY GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!
the_dan

join:2007-06-25
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

If the rich don't make money off it, no one else can.

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium
join:2001-12-16
CM94sv

1 edit
"hoping for an eleventh hour intervention from Congress"

They better be breaking out their pens and writing some Big checks soon then. Alas, I think they've hit the end.
Thanks RIAA... Not !
--
If only the Verizon CSRs worked this well.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
More people will despise the RIAA and refuse to give them money on grounds of principle. If this means they have to download or copy music--- they will, because they will feel it's the lesser of two evils. They'd be right, too.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

2 edits
said by inteller:

all the internet radio will go away
Make no mistake, that is what they want to happen.

Edit: This is what is known as predatory pricing. And you expect me to believe our fine government isn't being paid off? Puhleeze. There's obviously some conflict of interest. Telco and oil company mergers, copyright extensions, DMCA, bankruptcy "reform", the list goes on and on.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
the broadcasters should move to Canada, and refuse to pay the added fees over months already paid for under the old system. this Double Dipping Retroactive fee crap has to be illegal i mean Verizon cant raise rate for commerical bandwith and then goto their commerical customers and ask them for the difference from last year's T-Line fees.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
said by inteller:

simple....all the internet radio will go away and the RIAA will be left holding the bag.

you stupid idiots.
Acually that is their plan no internet Radio = will force people to download music == more lawsuits for the RIAA --
† Koma †
If YOu Don't Think It's Possable!! It's Acually A Reality!! The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay!!
Ya Don't Know The signal Till Ya Ride It!!
Voice Break's There's Trouble!!

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX

1 edit

.. hmm
jkb246

join:2000-03-18
Carmel, IN

They should all pick a date and go off the air

Running call congress messages all day. The music industry is almost dead. When will an alternative show up that realizes that technology is here to stay
Time4aNAP
Premium
Des Plaines, IL

Re: They should all pick a date and go off the air

said by jkb246:

Running call congress messages all day. The music industry is almost dead. When will an alternative show up that realizes that technology is here to stay
That was two weeks ago Tuesday. Where were you?
--

FiL
Premium
Silver Spring, MD
lmao...The music industry is almost dead?

I take it you don't check soundscan or any listing service; artists are selling just as many records as in whatever "golden years" you might think the industry was at its strongest.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

Re: They should all pick a date and go off the air

Yep, all the crying about the music industry dying is just poor corporation propaganda designed to get more protection and advantages legislated.
grafenberg

join:2002-02-01

Contact your representatives

You can look up your representatives' contact information here:
»www3.capwiz.com/saveinternetradi···601.html

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI

Re: Contact your representatives

RIAA as some point will realize that it's not pirates or streaming radio on the internet that's hurting it's sales. It's them. I'm suprised they haven't sued Audio Jack or at least run them out of town. What a bunch of chumps.

AtlGuy

join:2000-10-17
Marietta, GA

Re: Contact your representatives

said by tc1uscg:

RIAA as some point will realize that it's not pirates or streaming radio on the internet that's hurting it's sales. It's them.
I totally agree. I've been so disgusted with their actions the last few years that I hardly ever buy music anymore. At this point, I only buy music from artists I am big fans of, and to be honest it pains me to buy those cd's when I know some (most?) of that money is going to the RIAA.

Before anyone says anything, no I don't download music.
Time4aNAP
Premium
Des Plaines, IL
said by tc1uscg:

RIAA as some point will realize that it's not pirates or streaming radio on the internet that's hurting it's sales. It's them.
No, they won't.

Deep down inside, they know already. They just have the luxury of being able to favor their ego for the remainder of their unnatural lives, up in their ivory towers.
--
TurtleFan

join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

And be sure to write a sizable check so they open the envelope. Or at least make a fake one... 'You may have already won, one million dollars!'....

I've lost faith in just about everything political, religious, and anything that has too do with power and money these days ..

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

It don't mean a thing....

My favorite online station will be intact. Its my own personal station I created on Yahoo Unlimited. I'm all paid up for the next 1.75 years.
Time4aNAP
Premium
Des Plaines, IL

Re: It don't mean a thing....

said by ninjatutle:

...my own personal station I created on Yahoo Unlimited. I'm all paid up for the next 1.75 years.
Move over Narcissus!

You may think that you're "all paid up", but that doesn't include the capricious retroactive fees that you didn't agree to, but must pay anyway. But it's all good, right? Stealing is kewl...
--

••••••••••••••
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
webcasters should all incorperate, then go and keep broadcasting at the old rate in protest until the judges order them closed down. by incorperating the person running it cant be sued.
--
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
classical music isnt held under copyright. however the perfomance is copyright of the repesctive orchestra.
--
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
i have never entered a contract to play music, there is no EULA on a CD that states i cannot rip it and burn a copy and then leave the orignal safely at home and use the copy in the car or the shop where a CD is likely to be damaged.
--

SammyBK
I'D Rather Be Skiing

join:2000-09-07
Los Angeles, CA

Pandora

I have been listening to Pandora lately, and for the first time, I have found a lot of music I want to go out and buy. I would buy it too, if I didn't feel so guilty supporting an organization that sues the living hell out of anyone and anything they deem not in their direct interests.

spatula_city

join:2001-05-09
Fullerton, CA

I'm confused.

I've been reading over and over that "Right now, independent artists make up less than 10 percent of what's played on broadcast radio. On Internet radio, they make up about 37 percent." So why doesn't internet radio just convert to independent artists only. Doesn't being an indie musician mean that you aren't associated or represented by the RIAA and therefore your music is not subject to royalty hikes of this sort? Why are the indie musicians so scared?

refer to:
»www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinio···eadlines
--
www.spatula-city.com

••••••••

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

2 edits

burn in hell!!!

I hope thr RIAA burns in hell!!!

bye bye live365
kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

dammit.........

i guess in the end, the labels, RIAA and SoundExchange are getting what they want; less money but tighter distribution, as this effectively closes the webcasting business model in the US. but it is a gift to rest of the world though (so international webcasters, don't squander it!).

best of luck to my favorite live365 station Whisperings.

QQQ

@rogers.com

offshore?

offshore has nothing to do with it, quit saying that is the solution to the problem.. if any u.s ip streams the music that is considered a listener, going "offshore" won't do shit.
SylphFi
Premium
join:2007-06-07
Moses Lake, WA

Re: offshore?

Except if they go to the right place, it will put them out of reach of the RIAA.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA

dont by any muic

Start pirating it all and see how they like it with $0 income. lol

(yeah I wish thet would happen)

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29

1 edit

Riaa are you listening?

This RIAA can suck and BIG FAT D*CK. More like a whale one.

willbegood

@verizon.net

good can come of this

Well, it means that streaming may end up coming from countries who refuse to deal with the royalty game and intellectual property crap.. which means there will be MORE fiber lines will "come online" as the traffic switches from domestic to international locations. All-in-all a good thing and a plus for the internet, bad for the music industry who thinks they can gouge internet radio off the air!

cob_
1310nm Of Goodness
Premium
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK

Game on

I've been trying to play nice and buy my music. Everything I buy, I buy on CD and rip in iTunes, then get it onto the iPod. The CDs can then break in half for all I care, I just want MP3s with no DRM. I also buy Plus songs on iTunes now.

Sadly, it appears the MAFIAA will not be content until the pleasure of listening to music is overshadowed by the ambiguous legality of hearing it.

Apparently, we're all criminals. We might as well start acting the part.
--
"No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority, you can't increase the speed of light."

- RFC 1925
Time4aNAP
Premium
Des Plaines, IL

Re: Game on

said by cob_:

Apparently, we're all criminals. We might as well start acting the part.
Indeed!

If you're damned no matter what you do, you're off the ethical hook. Might as well reap the benefits.

Unfortunately in this particular case, it's neither all-encompassing or criminal. So it's back to square one.
--

Jorge4232

@PHNX.QWEST.NET

thankyou replublicans

king Ge0rges's adminsitration at the echleon of its stupidity . All heil the mighty republicons.

•••

Dagda1175

join:2001-06-17
Goleta, CA

1 recommendation

so

their rules should be the same as any other radio station.

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN

royalty rates

its a shame that internet radio has to be classified in its own sense. why cant they pay the same rates as satellite radio?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

Re: royalty rates

all radio forms should use the same billing system as good ole broadcast. the RIAA is only killing Internet radio with high fees because they can get data on how many listeners you have during any one billing period(i wonder if they would know if a webcaster was cooking their logs though, logs can be altered).
--
iowaboy
Premium
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
Reviews:
·Windstream
·WildBlue

Re: royalty rates

just remember that it is not just this administration that has not acted against RIAA and their cohorts. You would have to also blame the ones we voted into office who do not represent us but do take all the graft from the music, movie and any big business who will put dollars across their palms.

jhacker

join:2001-12-11
Peoria, IL

Net Radio Gets a Reprieve

I just received word that internet radio has been given an unofficial reprieve from Sound Exchange. Here is the link: »blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/bre···s-o.html

"...The SoundExchange executive [Jon Simson, executive director] promised -- in front of Congress -- that SoundExchange will not enforce the new royalty rates. Webcasters will stay online, as new rates are hammered out."

•••