dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-08-11 11:50:58: Well, if you were one of the two people renting videos from Google, you’re going to be disappointed because the service has come to its expected demise. ..

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

huh

never heard of it. anyone got a link

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

Re: huh

I think it was part of the google video site. Some of the clips cost money to view or whatever, the rest are free like youtube.

NJxxxJon
2 0 1 7 Mmm Here We go man!
Premium Member
join:2005-10-22

NJxxxJon to jgkolt

Premium Member

to jgkolt
said by jgkolt:

same here.....hmm.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to jgkolt

Premium Member

to jgkolt
said by jgkolt:

»video.google.com/videoad ··· edsearch

And the select the PRICE select box and choose "For Sale"

But I don't think anything is left out there for sale. I only found 1 and it didn't try to make you pay, even though it says it cost $.99

»video.google.com/videose ··· 0&num=10

jgkolt
Premium Member
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

oh yeha i remember now, you would pat for tv shows. ok, yeah waste of money.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Google knows who you are, they'd deduct the 99 cents from your Adsense account if you have one, or else send you a bill.

jgkolt
Premium Member
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

um no and they havent
Expand your moderator at work

oddstar
DSLR member for 6 years
Premium Member
join:2002-04-14
Spring, TX

1 edit

oddstar

Premium Member

:(

Unfortunately I actually did buy 4 videos with that service. Total Cost = $17.12 They were all NBA games! (ie Kobe scores 81 points in a single game, etc)

but

I'm being reimbursed for $20 so I actually come out ahead. Losing that video is no big deal anyway.
Tim2
Premium Member
join:2006-06-19

Tim2

Premium Member

Is it just me?

I don't know -- it may just be me -- but it doesn't seem Google's track record developing new products beyond search and advertising is particularly impressive. Google Video Rentals folded, Orkut (the social netorking site) never seemed to leave a quiet beta, and Gmail -- while popular -- didn't quite take over the world. I'm not sure about Google Checkout. I've never had a reason to use it, so I haven't paid any attention to it.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

Re: Is it just me?

said by Tim2:

I don't know -- it may just be me -- but it doesn't seem Google's track record developing new products beyond search and advertising is particularly impressive. Google Video Rentals folded, Orkut (the social netorking site) never seemed to leave a quiet beta, and Gmail -- while popular -- didn't quite take over the world. I'm not sure about Google Checkout. I've never had a reason to use it, so I haven't paid any attention to it.
True, but welcome to the world of a public company.

When Google was young and not public, it was a company that thought about every angle of a new product, but now it seems they have a quota to fill every month with new products.

I never even knew you could pay for Google Videos! I use Gmail as my main e-mail account, and e-mail is just one of those things that isn't going to "take over" anything... Google's main product is their search engine, this is the way it will always be.

Look at Google Earth, that is certainly a fine diamond in a bag of flaws.

Overall, I think Google is one of the BEST companies in this world.

-Tzale

T1 Rocky
join:2002-11-15
Dallas, TX

T1 Rocky

I hadn't heard of it either. Anyone know where you can rent movies online? I've been using netflix and they give you 15 hours included with their $17 per month package in addition to the stuff they send you in the mail. I've been happy with it so far. But the streaming selection is pretty limited. I think there are 2000 titles. I really figured this technology would be everywhere by now.
frank124c
join:2003-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

frank124c

i get movies free at »archive.org--also »www.movieflix.com has both free movies and movies that u pay for--in fact if u want to pay for the movies that u get free from achive.org u can do so at movieflix!
WirelessMajr
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
College Place, WA

WirelessMajr to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
Google Maps is also another of their excellent apps, along with the java client for gmail and their java client for google maps.

Speaking more of Gmail, I believe that Gmail is still the only free email that allows free unrestricted pop/smtp access. Hotmail/Windows Live Hotmail does not have free pop access, nor does Yahoo mail.

greendxr0
join:2004-07-08
Brooklyn, NY

greendxr0 to Tim2

to Tim2
said by Tim2:

I disagree. Google has tons of apps/features that may not be known by everyone but are sure useful and free. I use google Docs & Spreadsheets, Google Apps, Google Photos, Google Maps, Gmail, Goole Talk, Google desktop, etc.

»www.google.com/intl/en/options/
zlm44mut4b
join:2003-07-28
Plano, TX

zlm44mut4b to Tim2

to Tim2
They are innovative... that's the key. They are prime examples of revolutionizing search, e-mail storage (remember 2 MB?), and lastly (and the one bad thing), I feel that they are quickly spiraling towards tech bubble (2.0 - obligatory 2.0 added).