dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-09-11 11:15:06: [att=1213901,r]You make the most of what you've got. And in the case of one rural user in our forums, that just happens to be HughesNet satellite service and AT&T's wireless "broadband" EDGE network. ..

L337
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Chicago, IL

L337

Premium Member

Too bad he don't got dsl

Haha niceee

SlickEnW
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Seattle, WA

SlickEnW

Premium Member

Wow.

Thats pretty intuitive.

I'd probably would have moved or not been there in the first place, as my first question is usually "who services this place and do they have internet", especially since my job requires me to SSH into a server for maintenance and large downloads.

vdiv
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23
Reston, VA

vdiv

Premium Member

Re: Wow.

Speaking of a job, someone should hire that guy. He made lemonade from lemons, that requires talent in this telecom world.
Drakemoore
join:2005-02-03
Hawthorne, FL

1 recommendation

Drakemoore

To ISP's

If you don't build it. They will home brew it

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: To ISP's

said by Drakemoore:

If you don't build it. They will home brew it
True. But how many will go to this much trouble - 1 in a million customers?

jtudor
MVM
join:2002-12-07
Morganton, NC

jtudor

MVM

How Long

I just wonder how long it will be until one or both of them decide that he is violating the TOS, and terminate his service?

Also how long it will be until someone here decides to tell him that he needs to buy a business connection if he is doing any business at home??

I manage servers and desktops from home on occasion (nights, weekends, holidays) using Dameware, and have been told in some forums here that I should be using a business DSL account instead of a residential account, because I am doing business from home.

Otherwise, I applaud his resourcefulness!!

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON

twizlar

Premium Member

Re: How Long

said by jtudor:

I manage servers and desktops from home on occasion (nights, weekends, holidays) using Dameware, and have been told in some forums here that I should be using a business DSL account instead of a residential account, because I am doing business from home.

True that, some people are narrow sighted idiots, what can you do. The ONLY advantage of most business accounts is an SLA of somesort(usually crappy anyways).
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

1 edit

mikefxu to jtudor

to jtudor
Yes you should pay more because it says "business" in the name of the title. Pay for what you need, if you need faster speeds and they only offer it on "business" service levels, go for it, other wise keep what works and is cheap.

We pay for "business class" road runner and they told us it would take a week to fix lines they don't know how to run properly, We paying more for the same residential service for what reason?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to jtudor

to jtudor
said by jtudor:

I just wonder how long it will be until one or both of them decide that he is violating the TOS, and terminate his service?

Also how long it will be until someone here decides to tell him that he needs to buy a business connection if he is doing any business at home??

A business account may have more upload speed.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON

twizlar

Premium Member

Re: How Long

said by Joe12345678:
said by jtudor:

A business account may have more upload speed.
Meh, sometimes.

dcdeadbeat
@covad.net

dcdeadbeat

Anon

there is a much easier way to do this

Why didn't you just use a SonicWall TZ190 router with built in WWAN and multiple WAN load-balancing.

It does what you want automatically.

Silly people trying to make life difficult.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler

Premium Member

Re: there is a much easier way to do this

said by dcdeadbeat :

Why didn't you just use a SonicWall TZ190 router with built in WWAN and multiple WAN load-balancing.

It does what you want automatically.

Silly people trying to make life difficult.
Possibly because pfSense is free and has many, many more features than SonicWall can offer?

Can the sonicwall route based upon destination IP/Port?

Making life difficult? No

Saving money? Yes

And Are you F'ing nuts? $630 and up?!?!?! Yeah...where a WRAP (looks like what he has) is about $175 MAX (no longer being made) or a Soekris is $150 - $250?

Yes...I think he is trying to make it "harder"
jdjbuffalo
join:2004-01-17
Denver, CO

jdjbuffalo to dcdeadbeat

to dcdeadbeat
I agree using a dual WAN router is the way to go if you want an easier solution than this guy jerry-rigged.

However, I have to disagree with your recommendation to use a Sonicwall product. From personal experience configuring several, I have to say they are a POS.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

1 edit

fcisler

Premium Member

Re: there is a much easier way to do this

I'd really have to suggest you go see what pfSense is before calling it "jerry-rigged":

»www.pfsense.com/index.php?id=27

Check out some of the screenshots there

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to dcdeadbeat

MVM

to dcdeadbeat
said by dcdeadbeat :

You're missing the point. The SonicWall can't selectively send traffic out different interfaces like this guy requires. He wants traffic that requires low-latency and little bandwidth to go over the EDGE connection and bulk delay-insensitive traffic to go over the satellite. The SonicWall can't do this, nor can it be modified to do it.

DaveDD
@krline.net

DaveDD to dcdeadbeat

Anon

to dcdeadbeat
The Top Global MB6800 has a 1 x 4 switch built in. Their latest firmware support auto-failover between WAN and WWAN. An advanced version called the MB6800P can do load balance.

TechieZero
Tools Are Using Me
Premium Member
join:2002-01-25
Lithia, FL

TechieZero

Premium Member

How much?

I wonder what his bill is?

hitman_001
Premium Member
join:2006-11-20
Laredo, TX

hitman_001

Premium Member

Re: How much?

Welp the satellite runs 60+ a month depending on plan, not sure how much ATT charges but its probably in the ballpark of 59.99 to 79.99 a month. Your looking at ~120.00 plus a month to get a connection that "resembles" broadband, and still has the bandwidth caps and latency issues.
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl

Nah, AT&T data plan is +$30 to +$40 for unlimted. If he can convince them he has a smartphone, then it's only like $10 or $15.

hitman_001
Premium Member
Laredo, TX

hitman_001

Premium Member

The Data plan part was a guesstimation, I know sprint and verizon are around 59.99 and verizon just recently went to that pricing. Its been a few years since i've used cingular/Att for data.

MoJeeper
The Stig in 2012
Premium Member
join:2000-10-20
Springfield, MO

MoJeeper to Ahrenl

Premium Member

to Ahrenl
59.95 Unlimited

STrRedWolf
join:2006-06-18
Severn, MD

STrRedWolf

Penguins?

Sounds like he could of used a Linux distro for the router.

sporkme
MVM
Morristown, NJ

sporkme

MVM

Re: Penguins?

said by STrRedWolf:

Sounds like he could of used a Linux distro for the router.
Why? Just so he could say "it runs Linux"?

This post brought to you by PFSense.

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

wow

I will say this guy is truly resourceful. Now he needs to get evdo rev A and see how his speeds are. THis is assuming he gets coverage out there.

hitman_001
Premium Member
Laredo, TX

hitman_001

Premium Member

Re: wow

in 90% of the cases if a person could get EVDO they wouldnt need the satellite. If you are a freak about download speeds, some areas are more congested on EVDO and offer less bandwidth. However if you live out in unserved areas.. your really not used to getting much of that to begin with. So having the two would be pointless, because you'd have your speed and your much lower latency all in one, and still cut your internet bill in half.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

cheap housing/land

One reason for living in the boondocks is simple:
cheap land, housing and low taxes (ususally), but the "finer things in life" come at a distance premium such as cheap broadband and... Garbage collection, in many rural areas, you haul your own trash to the recycling center & dump.

Another downside.. is that your nearest fire dept, ambulance and hospital could be 45+minutes away, so if you have an extreme emergency, you may be SOL.
Nuts65
join:2006-04-27
Forest, OH

Nuts65

Re: cheap housing/land

Garbage, that's what the burn pile is for.
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT to tmc8080

to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

One reason for living in the boondocks is simple:
cheap land, housing and low taxes (ususally), but the "finer things in life" come at a distance premium such as cheap broadband and... Garbage collection, in many rural areas, you haul your own trash to the recycling center & dump.

Another downside.. is that your nearest fire dept, ambulance and hospital could be 45+minutes away, so if you have an extreme emergency, you may be SOL.
LOL, I wish broadband penetration was as good as that for trash collection and emergency services.

We have weekly trash pickup on our block, and the nearest fire station is just down the road. But Verizon's too busy deploying fiber to the most affluent communities in the county, and has stopped deploying DSL to anyone here.
kwayzcat
join:2002-10-22
Chicago, IL

kwayzcat

PFSense is awesome

PFSense is a FREE, full featured routing platform that runs on regular x86 hardware. It has the features of enterprise appliances that cost thousands of dollars. This is a very interesting implementation of dual-wan on PFsense.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PfSense

dcdeadbeat
@covad.net

dcdeadbeat

Anon

sonicwall tz190 is still the way to go

It features failover, spillover, and load-balancing. And it's very easy to use. That software you mention is just crapware. Go with a company like SonicWall, set it and forget it.

I have used this product in dozens of clients. if they need more power and flexibility, then I take them up to Cisco grade equipment. I don't care what anyone says about software and a rigged together system. Hardware works 24/7. Software...well ...it works when it works. And when it doesn't...then you should have cracked open the wallet. He did say he was using it for work. So get your work to pay for it.

Lazy beats free any day of the week!!!!!!
cmaenginsb1
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Palmdale, CA

cmaenginsb1

Premium Member

Re: sonicwall tz190 is still the way to go

Actually both the Sonicwall and Cisco's you mention are just modified versions of Linux software.

Sonicwall is a joke, used to recommend them to customers but after being screwed too many times it find it better to use something like PFSense. For l0sers like you who have to have Sonicwall, just modify the web interface so it looks like one and pocket the extra $400 or so it costs.
quantumvoice
join:2006-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

quantumvoice

Re: sonicwall tz190 is still the way to go

Actually, if he is referring to Cisco PIX, it is not "linux" based. You may be confused with Cisco's consumer/SOHO grade products from Linksys or it is a recent development.

However, the general point you were trying to make regarding PFSense is valid--both PIX and Sonicwall are software-based.

The functionality is derived from a general purpose CPU and not specialized hardware that provides application-specific functionality which is provided by an ASIC, DSP, etc.

However, even supposedly "hardware" solutions require robust firmware ("software") to exploit their potential.

sporkme
MVM
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to dcdeadbeat

MVM

to dcdeadbeat
said by dcdeadbeat :

It features failover, spillover, and load-balancing. And it's very easy to use. That software you mention is just crapware. Go with a company like SonicWall, set it and forget it.
It takes a whole lotta stupid to be that mad at something that's free and offers more features.

•••

LordFlux
join:2005-04-20

1 edit

LordFlux

I feel your pain...

I've been on the Internet since '96 and have been using a 28.8k modem since then up until early this year when we got a Kyocera KPC650 and KR1 Router to use on the Alltel 1xRTT network. Why use a 28.8k instead of a 56k? Ask BellSouth/AT&T... they've been out to the house 4 or 5 times testing my line and they don't understand why my 56k modem won't connect.

Anyway, that's all behind me now... because the area is now EVDO Rev A and we're *flying* at a blazing 500-800kb/sec download rate and a 400ms ping time. Granted, my card is only Rev 0, but I just bought a KPC680 and it should be here next week... Rev A here I come! 1mbit?!?! 300ms ping time?! OMG! I wet myself!

Us rural users take what we can get... which is why I went ahead and had Cox installed in my new house. Moving out of my parents house when I get married in 59 days.

dcdeadbeat
@covad.net

dcdeadbeat

Anon

you are all missing the point here--this is not new news

Whether it is Linux or some freeware/crapware based product, the point is that this is not news. Many people are already doing this type of fancy load-balancing, failover, and broadband connection sharing.

This guy should not be given any coverage. Now if he had found a way to combine multiple EDGE connections(while only being charged for one) thereby giving him something closer to broadband, then he should receive coverage.

In other words what I am talking about is using the mesh of cell-phone towers in a given area and creating connections with all of them to form one massive pipe.

Now that would be news worthy. Not some rual user using a router and two internet connections. Been done over and over before. Let's get something new going here.

And for those that called me ignorant: I use Redhat Linux on a daily basis on hundreds of severs. But guess what servers always get hacked....the Linux boxes running freeware. Why because it is free, hackers have access to it. Make it expensive and the hackers can't afford access to it and therefore expensive, proprietary stuff stays hack-free more often.

•••••