dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-09-17 10:08:32: AT&T is gearing up for a WiMax service launch in the second quarter of 2008, according to anonymous sources. ..

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

Heh

Deploy around Boston, VA please.
Jonbo298
join:2004-01-12
Council Bluffs, IA

Jonbo298

Better then nothing and potentially cheaper

Deploying WiMax to an area would seemingly be cheaper in the long run. You only maintain the towers rather then trying to maintain all phone lines still and deploying DSL capabilities.

wimaxr
@spcsdns.net

wimaxr

Anon

Sprint WiMAX vs. ATT

Actually, Sprint is also rolling out WiMAX to compete with DSL as well. Sprint doesn't have much last-mile landline connections and intends for WiMAX to compete with DSL, as well as to be used in mobile devices.

Good to see that AT&T hopped on WiMAX though as it helps the momentum. It's unfortunate they can't do it nationwide, which is the Sprint/Clearwire advantage.

Will be interesting to see what Verizon does. They don't have enough spectrum to rollout 4G, so may have to rely on getting some 700mhz spectrum. Even then, they'll probably only get 10-20Mhz of 700mhz spectrum for 4G while Sprint has over 100mhz of spectrum in every market. If WiMAX devices are created for the 700mhz space but EVDO is not, it would seem Verizon will have no choice but to deploy WiMAX as well. But the 700mhz space won't be available for a couple more years.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Good to see WiMax in Action

It would be nice to see this technology actually be used in a manner that is accessible to standard, residential customers. We've heard a lot of hype about WiMax over the years, but if it is deployed and is actually a practical wireless broadband solution, then other companies might follow suit and deploy it to other areas.

ansar
Search for HighSpeed
join:2004-12-10
Utica, MS

ansar

Sign me up!

Let me know when I can sign up! I live in rural Mississippi. I would love to see this happen, but I am not holding my breath.

I believe BellSouth has had wireless on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and New Orleans for awhile. I would love to see this move north some.

pl1853
@hnd.usace.army.mil

pl1853 to Jonbo298

Anon

to Jonbo298

Re: Better then nothing and potentially cheaper

This would be great. I live in the South and we are just outside of DSL range and our local cable company (Charter) doesn't provide internet service to the area yet. I'm not sure they ever will, as it is "planned" but keeps getting "delayed" and has been for over 2 years now.
SD6
join:2005-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6 to wimaxr

to wimaxr

Re: Sprint WiMAX vs. ATT

said by wimaxr :

Actually, Sprint is also rolling out WiMAX to compete with DSL as well. Sprint doesn't have much last-mile landline connections and intends for WiMAX to compete with DSL, as well as to be used in mobile devices.

Good to see that AT&T hopped on WiMAX though as it helps the momentum. It's unfortunate they can't do it nationwide, which is the Sprint/Clearwire advantage.

Will be interesting to see what Verizon does. They don't have enough spectrum to rollout 4G, so may have to rely on getting some 700mhz spectrum. Even then, they'll probably only get 10-20Mhz of 700mhz spectrum for 4G while Sprint has over 100mhz of spectrum in every market. If WiMAX devices are created for the 700mhz space but EVDO is not, it would seem Verizon will have no choice but to deploy WiMAX as well. But the 700mhz space won't be available for a couple more years.
Sprint/Clearwire WiMax (Xohm) will be in major cities across the country, but will not be nationwide. It would be nice if the mobile devices that will work on Xohm (Intel chipset/Nokia tablet computer) will also work on other WiMax networks (AT&T and others).

The 700 MHZ bands will not be available soon, and creating WiMax chips for them will be difficult because they are US only.
Edward1978
join:2007-07-23
De Soto, IL

Edward1978

All I have to say is

Ya right.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to SD6

to SD6

That was me in OP. Couldn't sign in.

Yeah, I meant that Sprint will be doing major cities nationwide, not the entire voice network. ATT can only do the South and Verizon probably doesn't have enough spectrum to do any 4G.

It will be interesting to see how WiMAX devices are created. It's more expensive to have multiple radios in a device for 2.3/2.5Ghz and 700mhz. Will the Intel chipset and other devices support many or just one?

If WiMAX devices support all ranges, perhaps Sprint devices could work on ATT and vice versa.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to wimaxr

to wimaxr
Nice to see that its actually being deployed where its 'needed', and not just another urban alternative to wireless/WiFi.

neosolace
Stay In It
join:2003-08-25
Verbena, AL

neosolace to Edward1978

to Edward1978

Re: All I have to say is

My thoughts exactly.... I'll believe it when they actually put it into action here.

HateTank
join:2004-03-07
Decatur, AL

HateTank

Wireless is the future.

This actually sounds like good news. Sign me up because I'm ready. I'm turning blue from holding my breath already.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to SD6

to SD6

said by SD6:

said by wimaxr :

Sprint/Clearwire WiMax (Xohm) will be in major cities across the country, but will not be nationwide. It would be nice if the mobile devices that will work on Xohm (Intel chipset/Nokia tablet computer) will also work on other WiMax networks (AT&T and others).

The 700 MHZ bands will not be available soon, and creating WiMax chips for them will be difficult because they are US only.
No nation wide but over 300 million customers will have it at their door step.. I would say that's a SIGNIFICANT foot print. There are only 3 LARGE markets getting Sprints wimax 4th qtr 07, I know that Detroit (one of Sprint's largest data hungry markets) is getting in 1st qtr 08 and various other cities. The EVDO deployment approach I'm sure is the model they are using. Start in the large city's and expand out. I'm sure once WIMAX is in place and has shown to be reliable, could we be seeing some form of wireless over IP or even VoIP service from Sprint and/or AT&T? Only the "insiders" know the master plan..

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

THANK GOD

Thank GOD AT&T is doing something right... oh im sorry at&t b/c their cool now...
byrdog
join:2002-02-07
Boynton Beach, FL

byrdog

high speed wireless

Ho Hum Yawn. I work in the offshore industry way down in south Louisiana and keep reading all about high speed wireless that is available, but can't get squat down here. Right now, at&t (cingular) is the most popular, but many people get their signal robbed by Petrocom which operates the offshore towers (even at the dock). Consequently, many times, guys get their bill and it's outragous from paying the international prices (but I didn't know it was offshore, I was at the dock right here in Port Fourchon). Have to admit though, alot of guys have had the additional expenses removed from their bill. A good high speed wireless suystem would be more than welcome down here, since we literally have thousaonds of perople passing through every month. I think that the companies are missing the mark in their marketing surveys, 'cause they all live somewhere else. So when they do their surveys, it only shows a few that actually live here, and they don't realize the gold mine that exists.
BayouTech
join:2004-03-25
Lafayette, LA

BayouTech to ansar

to ansar

Re: Sign me up!

Bellsouth did have some in NO and Baton Rouge. Most of La and Miss's 2.3/2.5G is owned by Sprint(was Nextel, was Worldcom, was Wireless One which had most of the SE USA for video service in the late 90's and did some limited 2way wireless internet until '03 when Worldcom sold that off to Nextel).
AMDonUT2004
join:2006-06-12
Bedford, VA

AMDonUT2004

nice

this would be great for rural areas like me, and you can take your laptop anywhere ya want to go or enjoy broadband on your pc
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

If only Clearwire could figure this out.

I still can not figure out how Clearwire stays in business.

Why don't they go after the rural market like AT&T?

In my area Clearwire is trying to serve the exact came market already served by Comcast and Qwest.

Yet there are literally thousands of rural customers in the surrounding area that can not get cable or DSL.

korym
Go Wisp's

join:1999-12-23
Richmond, VA

korym to DrModem

to DrModem

Re: Heh

Why? Just build your own community WISP. I'd rather do something like that and have it run/maintained by the community rather than letting another corporate drone come in.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Kory

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk

Premium Member

Lip service

Time will tell I suppose, but I will guess its just propaganda pending the 700mhz band auction ahead. A bait and switch tactic.
If they get the band, or part of it it will be deployed in the cities like Clearwire. Again, a pipe to Rural America down the drain.

HLaurens
@adapss.com

HLaurens

Anon

sprint\clearwire

motorola and intel is partnered with Sprint and Clearwire on the WIMAX rollout. If Clearwire falls then their other partner Sprint will pickup the pieces.