dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-09-25 09:47:49: Though AT&T has been talking a good game when it comes to unbundling its DSL and landline services, most of their speed tiers still aren't available as standalone products. While the company is offering a 1. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer

Premium Member

its a start.....

i'd pay it...Dump my comcast 6mbps tier for a lesser, no signal headache type connection. Now if i could only get them to build a CO close to me!
gahleon7
join:2002-10-30
Saginaw, MI

gahleon7

Att: What cheats

They are giving me such a hassle on switching here in Michigan. They are such liars, saying that it is unavailable to existing customers. Some moron even tried giving me an analogy to buying a car. EX...you buy a car at one price and then find out a few weeks later that it is now a different price and thats what you paid for it. I told her that I'm sorry but governmental mandates don't work like that. She got a bit pissed at me.

I don't know what to tell her, but I can tell you that this one is going to the BBB. This is pathetic.

Derch
Premium Member
join:2004-10-16
Hanahan, SC

Derch to S_engineer

Premium Member

to S_engineer

Re: its a start.....

said by S_engineer:

Now if i could only get them to build a CO close to me!
That's going to apply to a lot of us. I'd drop my Cox line in a heart beat if AT&T was close to my house.

AnyMouse
@comcast.net

AnyMouse to S_engineer

Anon

to S_engineer
said by "S_engineer" :
I'd pay it...Dump my comcast 6mbps tier for a lesser, no signal headache type connection. Now if i could only get them to build a CO close to me!
Don't wish too hard, you could get a nice RT across the street from you that will go more than FIVE years without DSL service being available from it.
Expand your moderator at work

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Stupid Government

What kind of idiotic mentality drives the notion that the government can demand any sort of concessions from AT&T regarding its merger with BellSouth? I will wager that we will never see this fabled $10 DSL.

The government should have required that the $10 DSL be offered to all AT&T and BS customers before the merger went through, not after.
bladec594
join:2007-09-24
Alpharetta, GA

1 edit

bladec594

Re: Stupid Government

What $10 offer?? The $10/768K for DSL-over-landline voice offer was implemented in June. A different merger condition requires the implementation of a $19.95 768K Dry-loop DSL offer by 12/29/07.

Stick To Facts to pnh102

Anon

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

What kind of idiotic mentality drives the notion that the government can demand any sort of concessions from AT&T regarding its merger with BellSouth?
*cough* They are regulated natural monopolies. *cough*

That's why the government can get away with it.
Zerny
join:2007-05-04
Fort Gratiot, MI

Zerny to pnh102

to pnh102
My mom order the 10 dollar dsl on the internet, without a problem..

is dsl even avl in your location?

prevemplyee
@bellsouth.net

prevemplyee to pnh102

Anon

to pnh102
check the website...10.00 DSL Lite already available. Have to order online, get a free modem...with a 12 month agreement.
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

1 recommendation

Rick5

Premium Member

HAHAHAHAHA!

Oh..my ribs. They hurt after that laugh.

"(Force bundling landline & DSL) is an old mind-set. We need to get over it.
-AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson"

the new mindset is forced bundling of wireless and dsl instead.

LOL!
Whew..when this company goes under..it's going to go supernova folks.

Uverse..and this mindset alone is starting the chain reaction I fear.

Bell System
Premium Member
join:2005-12-04
Strongsville, OH

Bell System

Premium Member

Porting Question

I wonder. What if you have your lineshare number ported to at&t wireless. Would they shut off your dsl (pro), or let it go and just change the price?
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

Re: Porting Question

That would trigger a line loss notification to the CLEC and your DSL would be dropped.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

i think the OP was asking about if you were an AT&T customer and had your home number ported over to ATT Wireless. What would happen to your DSL from AT&T. In no way would it even notify any CLEC since AT&T is the provider for all the services that the customer would have.
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

said by hottboiinnc4:

i think the OP was asking about if you were an AT&T customer and had your home number ported over to ATT Wireless. What would happen to your DSL from AT&T. In no way would it even notify any CLEC since AT&T is the provider for all the services that the customer would have.
Actually, all DSL from AT&T is run through their CLEC ASI.

The ILEC receives a port out order from the winning carrier, notes there is DSL on the line, and sends a loss notification to the CLEC with DSL on the line. In this case, ASI. Then ASI issues a disconnect order to the ISP, ATT internet services.

Happens all the time.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Um. ASI maybe a CLEC in Texas but they're not in Ohio. I know who ASI is. ATT Services Intergrated the last i knew the name they were going by last time i heard the name. In Ohio ASI only handles the Internet portion and basically like the ISP and ATT is the actual last mile provider.

AT&T Ohio is the one that has the DSL information listed on their PUC documents not ASI.
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

2 edits

93388818 (banned)

said by hottboiinnc4:

Um. ASI maybe a CLEC in Texas but they're not in Ohio. I know who ASI is. ATT Services Intergrated the last i knew the name they were going by last time i heard the name. In Ohio ASI only handles the Internet portion and basically like the ISP and ATT is the actual last mile provider.

AT&T Ohio is the one that has the DSL information listed on their PUC documents not ASI.
ASI = Advanced Services Inc. They are the ATT 13 state DSL layer 2 provider.

Want a lesson?

Customer orders DSL from "ATT"
1. ATT Internet Services orders DSL service from ASI
2. ASI turns around orders DSL from the ILEC.
2a. in cases where ASI owns the DSLAM, the LEC just connects the customer's line through the DSLAM
2b. in cases where the LEC provides layer 2 (as in DSL through an RT) ASI picks up the ATM traffic from the LEC
2c. ASI sends your self install kit.
3. ILEC completes the order back to ASI
4. ASI completes the order back to ATT Internet Services
5. ATT Internet services completes the order to the customer

You as the customer have no idea this is all going on in the background.

I was one of a handful that started DSL in the Ameritech region in 1997. Back then, we were Ameritech Advanced Data Services (AADS), and we were still separated from the Telco and the ISP arms of Ameritech. In fact, when SBC bought Ameritech the FCC made SBC move DSL to the LEC/CLEC model Ameritech had in the first place.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

I know how ASI works. I new what they did. But when ATT took over they changed the name to ATT something. That was on their site a long time ago.

You don't have to give me a lesson and treat me like i'm 15years old and don't know anything. I have dealt with ASI directly on several issues. and they are just like the rest of the company in most regards (except for the techs on here) they don't know a damn thing what goes on. but ASI does not mail the self install kit. The LEC does. Otherwise it would say ASI as the sender and not AT&T or at one time SBC. I have had DSL several times with SBC and everytime i had it it did not once say ASI just SBC Internet Services.

but like i said ASI is basically the ISP and ATT is the hardwire/last mile provider of the services.
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

2 edits

1 recommendation

93388818 (banned)

Apparently you don't know how it works. I'm telling you from the inside that you're wrong.

The ISP is the ISP. The LEC is the LEC. ASI is in between the two.

ASI is alive and well (internally they're now AT&T Advanced Solutions, Inc. according to the corp intranet). Don't you think ASI can put the sending address of the ISP on the CSI package they mail you? I know ASI sends the CPE because they also do it for some of their wholesale (other ISP) subscribers as well.

None of this changes the fact that if the OP ports their number out to wireless, that ATT the LEC will receive line loss, send that to ASI who sends a disconnect to the ISP.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Ummmmmm, I am going to have to side with 93388818 See Profile on this one. I am an ASI tech and yep, that's exactly how it happens. Lock stock and barrel.

The ASI techs here (on site typically) are me, Darren3 See Profile, MarkM See Profile, Matthew See Profile for starters.

I am sure if you ask any or all 3 of them they will pretty much tell you the same thing "Uhh yea, he's right!"

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to Bell System

Premium Member

to Bell System
said by Bell System:

I wonder. What if you have your lineshare number ported to at&t wireless. Would they shut off your dsl (pro), or let it go and just change the price?
You can't port a wireline number to wireless.
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

said by Matt3:

What?

»www.fcc.gov/cgb/NumberPo ··· wireline

bassthumpa
Premium Member
join:2000-12-26
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

bassthumpa

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

I know how ASI works. I new what they did. But when ATT took over they changed the name to ATT something. That was on their site a long time ago.

You don't have to give me a lesson and treat me like i'm 15years old and don't know anything. I have dealt with ASI directly on several issues. and they are just like the rest of the company in most regards (except for the techs on here) they don't know a damn thing what goes on. but ASI does not mail the self install kit. The LEC does. Otherwise it would say ASI as the sender and not AT&T or at one time SBC. I have had DSL several times with SBC and everytime i had it it did not once say ASI just SBC Internet Services.

but like i said ASI is basically the ISP and ATT is the hardwire/last mile provider of the services.
You're wrong. Like David, I work for ASI. And Corona is absolutely correct.

Don't get offended or get yer fur all up in a huff... just take correction from guys that WORK FOR THE COMPANY AND KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT and say "oops, I was wrong, my bad." You obviously DID need that lesson.
said by 93388818:

said by Matt3:

What?

Corona is right again. C'mon folks... this is why so many people are misinformed about how things work. Do the homework before posting stuff as fact.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to 93388818

Premium Member

to 93388818
said by 93388818:
said by Matt3:

What?

The FCC allows it, but I can't find a single carrier that supports it or would allow me to. Several told me flat out it's not possible. :shrug:
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with Cindy at ATT Wireless and she assured me I can port my home number to my new wireless account. In fact, since I have ATT home phone service, it goes even quicker because they consider it a transfer of service instead of a typical port. If I had some other POTS provider it would be anywhere between 3-5 days for the port.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by 93388818:

I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with Cindy at ATT Wireless and she assured me I can port my home number to my new wireless account. In fact, since I have ATT home phone service, it goes even quicker because they consider it a transfer of service instead of a typical port. If I had some other POTS provider it would be anywhere between 3-5 days for the port.
That's AT&T to AT&T, perhaps that's why.

I went from Bellsouth to Time Warner and was unable to go mobile beyond that. I went Nextel, to Sprint, to Verizon and was unable to go to wireline.

We tried to take another Verizon mobile number to a VoIP provider (Nuvio) and they said it is not possible.

I'm sure the ILECs can do it within their own system, but make it extremely difficult to go to another provider. Verizon also told me something about it depends on if they offer service in that area ... for instance they couldn't port an Alltel mobile number from Martinsville, VA to Greensboro, NC because they don't have a service footprint in Martinsville? Something like that anyway.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to Bell System

to Bell System
I'd be very interested to port the number to Callvantage.

KSUJace
Golden Flash
join:2001-12-01
Chicago, IL

KSUJace

That was Easy

Called up the number, asked for DSL Direct, no questions asked, they asked for my old voice line that I cancelled last week. Told them I already had a modem. They copied my account info from my prior line, offered my the 23.99 Express or 28.99 plan, took the 28.99 Pro plan and have a FOC date of October 4th.

Also... there is no contract on this service.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 edit

en102

Maybe they're finally getting the hint... I doubt it.

In Los Angeles (or at least Santa Clarita), dry loop is available through the web site.
The downside is that it is not at the prices that listed here. A 1.5Mbps dry loop sells for more than Comcasts 6Mbps standalone service.

For those that don't need or want voice or TV, DSL is a very poor deal. Many do not want POTS, and some prefer DirecTv (myself) over Uverse.
I would bundle wireless with DSL though if the price was right. AT&T GSM/3G works well here, and if the DSL price is right, then it'll work for me.

soft engineer

Anon

Re: Maybe they're finally getting the hint... I doubt it.

$23.99 for 1.5 Mbit dry DSL (not available yet on the central coast of CA) or $19.99 plus $5.70 land line. You might be asking yourself, What's the difference? i.e. they are not REALLY unbundling DSL yet.

I live on the central coast of CA, and spent some time getting transferred around. Here are some numbers that may be useful (may not be exact, but that's what they gave me when transferring):
CA DSL signup: 1-800-522-8838
CA Dry DSL signup: 1-858-522-8838
CA Online signup DSL (tech support): 1-800-609-7030

The dry DSL rep only offered 1.5 Mbit service at $49 and 3.0 at $54 /month (I told them how ridiculous that was).

The Online signup DSL rep offered bundled phone line and DSL service for $19.99 Express (1.5 Mbit down) plus $5.70 land line... if you get an error on their website signup (which isn't difficult to do) then they should give you the online deal.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

Re: Maybe they're finally getting the hint... I doubt it.

See my post below. I called the rep with the phone above and was able to get it.

supernac3
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

supernac3

missouri

Tried getting this in springfield mo, no luck. Rep said dry lines not offered here. Figures
bozobuttz
join:2001-01-16
Littleton, CO

4 edits

bozobuttz

Advertisement - Direct Express

I just saw a huge ad in the Chicago Flame (my school's newspaper) for this service!
It proclaims:
"AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Direct Express as low as $23.99 a month with no term commitment. No phone line required. Includes downstream speeds of up to 1.5 Mbps.

Offer expires 11/3/2007."
Obviously, the ad and the service itself is geared toward college students.
Does anyone know if it is available in the suburbs?

KSUJace
Golden Flash
join:2001-12-01
Chicago, IL

KSUJace

Re: Advertisement - Direct Express

Yes, its available in all of IL ATT country.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

rip off

I get my 8Mbs for $24.95/month from comcast.

•••••
mjwise
join:2007-05-09
Ann Arbor, MI

mjwise

SE Mich?

This appears to be available in AT&T ILEC areas of southeast michigan but the "DSL direct" folks said DSL wasn't shown as available at all at my address! One problem - I have AT&T lineshare DSL right now and have for months. The rep put in an engineer's note for me to test the circuit within the week to see if they can offer DSL on the line (umm...yeah) but I'm dubious.
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

Rick5

Premium Member

Sorry but..

I just don't get it. And, now matter how I shake out the numbers, simply cannot come up with DSL being any kind of a deal versus Cable HSI.

Let's look at the numbers with..and without a landline..and compare it to comcasts standard tier.

Comcast 6Mb/384k connection with powerboost that takes me up to 20Mb/1600k...42.95 month

DSL..1.5Mb with landline..35.00~40.00 per month + tax?
Certainly is no deal there.

Ok.so now in certain parts they take away the landline.
24.00 month for 1.5Mb service.

Granted.it's a step in the right direction...but you are still REALLY paying for a whole lot less bandwidth.

And, the difference amount to..are you sitting down?
A whopping 61 pennies per day difference between a 20Mb powerboost enabled connection..and some 1.5 Mb line that is 1/15th those speeds.

FOLKS..DSL IS NOT A BARGAIN..No matter how you look at it.

You are simply buying a whole helluva lot less speeds for not that much less money per month.

Have you ever looked at it THIS way?
Take a look..

1.5Mb x 15 = 22.5Mb
24.00 x 15 = 360.00 PER MONTH!!

That is what an equivalent DSL line..AT THE SAME SPEEDS would cost you compared to what you get with comcast and other cable ISP's for about 43.00.

DSL IS HUGELY overpriced when you look at it in these kinds of terms.

And, the telco's are fooling a whole lot of people.

Listen...I KNOW the arguments about the slowsky family who wants to sit around and just email their relatives and surf a few pages. And well..OK..i'll agree with you SOMEWHAT that MAYBE this is ok for them.
But SURELY not with a landline.
Why the he** pay the same price when you can get so much more for the same price?

If they can get this for 23.99 dry..then..Ok.
But still..if they get into video or whatever..as everyone is going to be if they're not now..
why the heck not pay the extra 60cents and do this right?

I mean..we're talking about 1/2 a hamburger price at mc'ds for gods sake.

If 60 cents is too much for so much more then heck..just online bill pay a bill and save the postage.

That will balance it all out.

I'm not opposed at all to verizon and their fios pricing.
At least we're talking comparable numbers and speeds.

But this whole uverse..dsl thing..it's just way overpriced compared to most cable hsi plans.

And people should be aware of that.

••••••••••••••

cjc84cjc
@comcast.net

cjc84cjc

Anon

hmm

Does AT&T shut you off like Comcast for using 200+ GB in one month?

I might even call Comcast and tell them I am seriously considering going to AT&T DSL, if they don't shut you off like Comcast does. I can hear them now "but Comcast offers faster speed then DSL" and I will say "But AT&T doesn't shut you off if you use lots of bandwith" and maybe they will give me a deal for staying.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Re: hmm

Its worth a shot... new customers are becoming more scarce, and Comcast (as well as others) might offer retention pricing.

Rob A
Adjusting
Premium Member
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

Rob A

Premium Member

Not a bad price

Reasonable for 1.5M.
ace1974
join:2007-06-09
Goldsboro, NC

ace1974

DSL is not that much slower

I worked as a hsi tech for a number of years and now am a dsl tech for a telco. Let me tell you coming from someone thats worked both sides, dsl is not that much slower than cable. Most of the time I cant even really tell that much of a difference between the two as far as the speeds are concerned. Now cable is a little faster when it's working like it's suppose to but trust me cable hsi comes with a lot of problems. First of all your sharing your connection with everybody else thats on that node. In other words if you have a couple of bad drops in the neighborhood guess what?? Everybody on that noded is going to be affected, Thats why you have the speed fluctuations with cable hsi because noisy drops will kill a node...

DSL is a lot more reliable in my opinion, I dont run into half the trouble with dsl than I did with cable..

cableiscrap
@swbell.net

cableiscrap

Anon

Re: DSL is not that much slower

said by ace1974:

DSL is a lot more reliable in my opinion, I dont run into half the trouble with dsl than I did with cable..
Yep, that’s why many of ignore the extravagant claims of the entertainment focused cable cos and go for the traditional reliability of the telcos. What is 8 gig of bandwidth worth if it’s disconnected and tech support say they would be around tomorrow? It’s the mindset that counts, many of us do not tolerate 1sec never mind 24 hours of being disconnected. Also, do not confuse speed i.e. latency with bandwidth, 8 gig of bandwidth is nice but worth crap if the packets has to go through numerous pieces of hardware before it’s in IP format for internet routing.

JohnLane
@swbell.net

JohnLane

Anon

what about taxes/surcharges?

Do we know what price is after the taxes and surcharges? I read somewhere the taxes added on another 10-12 dollars to the price, but I was never able to confirm that anywhere.
JTech4
join:2001-11-13
Springfield, MO

JTech4

DSL Direct in springfield, mo

supernac,

Im in Springfield, Mo And I get Dry DSL.

•••••
vrem
join:2000-10-11
Houston, TX

vrem

Not working for Houston, TX

Tried calling them, but was told that's not available yet for Houston market
Dang.

DaCoach
@cimlaw.com

DaCoach

Anon

Re: Not working for Houston, TX

I've spent over 2 weeks with ATT getting dry loop dsl. I swear it's easier to break into the CIA than go thru the maze that Bell has set up to avoid providing the promised services.

Without going thru all the steps, just call this number and tell them you want the dry loop. 1-888-838-5413.

My sense of things is that the people in this Dept. are very amicable and anxious to please. However, the ATT parent considers them red headed stepchildren and refuse to acknowledge their existence until forced.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

I just called and cofirmed...

I can get this offer for the aforementioned price . This is so sweet, no more telephone line.

bummed_out
@lmco.com

bummed_out

Anon

Dry Loop is $44.99 in California! Expensive!

I live in the Bay Area and AT&T just quoted me $44.99 for Dry Loop and $49.99 for pro.

Where did $23.99 come from??

Jm2Cw
@pacbell.net

Jm2Cw

Anon

Re: Dry Loop is $44.99 in California! Expensive!

I too live in the Bay Area, Santa Clara. I had been aggravated for years that I was paying 49.95 a month for DSL from PacBell/SBC/Yahoo/AT&T that DSLReports showed as a 1.2 Mbps downlink.

I received an advertisement on 9/25 that showed Express (1.5Mbps) for 19.99, Pro (3.0Mbps) for 24.99, and Elite (6.0 Mbps) for 34.99.

I called on Wednesday to 'upgrade' to Elite. 4 times the speed, for about 2/3 the price, and this morning I woke to a connection that DSLReports shows as 5.0Mbps.
Jm2Cw

Jm2Cw

Anon

DSL in the Bay Area

I too live in the Bay Area, Santa Clara. I had been aggravated for years that I was paying 49.95 a month for DSL from PacBell/SBC/Yahoo/AT&T that DSLReports showed as a 1.2 Mbps download speed.

I received an AT&T catalog on 9/25 that showed Express (1.5Mbps) for 19.99, Pro (3.0Mbps) for 24.99, and Elite (6.0 Mbps) for 34.99.

I called on Wednesday to 'upgrade' to Elite. 4 times the speed, for about 2/3 the price, and this morning I woke to a connection that DSLReports shows as 5.0Mbps download speed.
page: 1 · 2 · next