dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-10-02 14:58:17: [att=1222492,r]If you're really eager to push your ISP's bandwidth caps, you should note that p2p video service Joost has entered beta 1.0 and is now available for everyone to download for free. ..

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

It's ok...

I have used the older version and the new beta, but I am just not that impressed with Joost yet.

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

current user

THe program is awesome with a great interface but it still has bugs to work out. Like all beta software.

jtudor
MVM
join:2002-12-07
Morganton, NC

jtudor

MVM

Scale? Not likely

said by joost :
In a recent interview, Joost co-founder Janus Friis discussed the project's future plans, which potentially involve adult content. When asked about whether the Internet can manage the bandwidth demand created by such services, he responded "the reality is the internet can cope. Cisco and ISPs can scale."
Sure they can scale, the question is WILL THEY????

The answer is most likely, NO!!!

IT won't be Cisco, it will be the poor ISP's who won't move into the future.

Penguins3
Have You Played Atari Today?
join:2001-12-01
Cleveland, OH

Penguins3

Doesn't work at all.

Can't register, it just say 'oops something is wrong!'.

What quality!

gfromohio595908

Anon

said by Penguins3:

Can't register, it just say 'oops something is wrong!'.

What quality!
It did the same thing to me!! what the h#$$!!!!

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Works fine!

Doesn't eat that much bandwidth.

VeohTV is better though!

Matt_
@comcast.net

Matt_

Anon

Joost fix

For those having Issues with Joost Beta 1.0 try and clean your profile with the Attempt Joost Repair Utility that is in Start -> All Programs -> Joost.

On the Mac press CTRL while starting up.

This will kill any running Joost processes and delete the Joost profile and cache.Then you should be able to run Joost.

If you continue to have issue post on the Joost forums or email support@joost.com

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez

Its OK....

I downloaded the private beta a few months ago, and in all honesty I might have used it three times for a total of 20 minutes. The selection of shows was terrible, and I found no real compelling reason to use it instead of simply turning on my TV. The interface was also pretty bad, so actually finding something to watch was annoying. Overall, I wasnt that impressed. Perhaps if they made a version for mobile devices it would be a little bit more intriguing......
peerimpact
join:2005-11-07
Londonderry, VT

peerimpact

Joost Login Servers down

The Joost login servers seem to be down but I cant confirm from this my Joost contacts .

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by peerimpact:

The Joost login servers seem to be down but I cant confirm from this my Joost contacts .
Uhm... login works fine here.

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

storm64007

Premium Member

Works great-love it

Works great here and had no problems installing at all.
If you used many past betas uninstall and clean out your joost app data before installing new version.

kfsutops
Premium Member
join:2002-08-19
Lutz, FL

kfsutops

Premium Member

No PPC (or universal) Mac version

Oh well. Darn. I really wanted to use this software...(sarcasm off).

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC

Chiyo

Premium Member

WOO I can watch adult swim stuff while @ work on my second monitor makes tedius tasks seems alright now :P
peerimpact
join:2005-11-07
Londonderry, VT

1 recommendation

peerimpact to dadkins

to dadkins

Re: Joost Login Servers down

yeah they seemed to have fixed the login issue quickly but their forum is full of posts from people who couldnt connect

NJxxxJon
2 0 1 7 Mmm Here We go man!
Premium Member
join:2005-10-22

NJxxxJon

Premium Member

Vista

WILL IT KILL VISTA AND MAKE VISTA CRY? ( If so ....I will not download.)

tileguy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-09
Derry, NH

tileguy

Premium Member

Joost is still Beta software!!!

Just downloaded it and I gotta say it looks great. No installation problems whatsoever. My laptop is 4 years old and there is no pixelation or drops. Just wish there was something I really want to watch on it
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

no comment on this?

Quite possibly the quote of the year concerning the internet's potential (and a neutral one at that!).
"When asked about whether the Internet can manage the bandwidth demand created by such services, he responded "the reality is the internet can cope. Cisco and ISPs can scale."
(emphasis mine )

Surprised nobody's commented on that. He's right.
bananu
join:2003-02-19
Dallas, TX

bananu

nothing really good

the problem with all those services, be it Joost or VeohTV or whatever is that there is nothing good being offered. The things you can watch there you can either get from file sharing or by turning on regular tv. Then there's those channels nobody needs with useless clips they might as well just post on YouTube. Soon you'll have channels like "Men with black eye news" or "Favorite 50s songs played by 10 year olds on a harmonica"... seriously, what good is 100+ channels if most of them are useless...

Most users would rather be able to watch live television over the internet like programming from their home country if they live in another country now. That, however, is always made impossible due to the way media rights are handled. Look at Zattoo, you can only watch the channels that you can watch anyway on tv in the country where you reside (if at that).

No, until they make more live tv programming available and do it on a true global scale, all those P2P etc. internet television providers will stay tiny or vanish.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 edit

tp0d

Premium Member

"If you're really eager to push your ISP's bandwidth caps,"

Caps? we dont need no steenkin CAPS! lol

installed joost on my xp sp2 setup here, works almost flawlessly except for a few xml errors.. man do they have a lot of content up.. This could really come in handy to kill time at work

will i pay for it, naaaa. looks good though.

JE
JE 's BACK BABY
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
Charlotte, NC

JE

Premium Member

why?

Why would DSLR recommend this junk to people? Something with a little credibility would make sense.
Get this trash outta here.

JE
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to NJxxxJon

to NJxxxJon

Re: Vista

said by NJxxxJon:

WILL IT KILL VISTA AND MAKE VISTA CRY? ( If so ....I will not download.)
Works fine in vista, except the menu's seem to be sluggish to respond for some reason.

telcolackey5
The Truth? You can't handle the truth
join:2007-04-06
Death Valley, CA

1 recommendation

telcolackey5

Bi-polar

To summarize the content of this thread

Joost is great, except where it sucks.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to JE

Premium Member

to JE

Re: why?

said by JE:

Why would DSLR recommend this junk to people? Something with a little credibility would make sense.
Get this trash outta here.

JE
I fail to see a recommnedation by DSLR. Just some news. don't like it, don't read it.

prestonlewis
Premium Member
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis

Premium Member

Great but . . .

Works great but not enough content. Not ready for prime time.