dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-10-03 13:52:14: The General Accounting Office has issued a report (pdf) slamming the FCC for leaking information to companies and lobbyists while leaving consumer advocates and the public in the dark. ..

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

1 edit

woody7

Premium Member

Well....

"Lobbyists given insight while consumer advocates aren't...

DUH!!

CableConvert
Premium Member
join:2003-12-05
Atlanta, GA

CableConvert

Premium Member

Cool...

Fire the Jack Ass named Kevin Martin...sounds like grounds for termination to me.

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer

Premium Member

While I agree with You, I think that should be just the first step. This department should be as transparent as they can be!
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to woody7

to woody7

Re: Well....

Is Rep. Markey recommending that Martin be fired if such leaks continue because if he's not his statement seems pointless.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

I'm Shocked!

...utterly shocked by this report!

Time take off my rose colored glasses. And I thought the whole government regulation thing was transparent.
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude to woody7

to woody7

Martin is a shill for telecom interests and appears willing to do anything possible to help them maintain their monopoly.

Too bad it's this way, as between him and Powell, they've all but guaranteed the U.S. being a 2nd tier internet nation for years to come.

JasonD
@comcast.net

-1 recommendation

JasonD

Anon

The FCC may have started

out with the best intentions to look out for the public good, but that's gone now. There is nothing that the GAO, consumer interest groups, or anyone else can do about it. Business rules America top to bottom, plain and simple. Don't like it? Talk to FFH5 See Profile.
ossito16
join:2004-07-31
Whiting, IN

ossito16

When I was in Navy 10 years ago I recall the GAO having considerable juice. I thought they were the part of govt that made sure you get the budget you are asking for. I am sure the offices of the FCC don't want to get on their bad side. It means less money for even the simplest thing such as office supplies.

sholling
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA

sholling

Premium Member

The Boss Aways Gets First Peek...

Like this is a surprise? Don't you show your reports and action plans to your boss before releasing them to the general public? The powers that be at the FCC just do the same thing. So of course the major telcos have access before the general public and the taxpayers. There are future multi-million dollar consulting and lobbying gigs riding on that loyalty.
Methadras
join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

Methadras

the problem with all of this is...

that money is associated with free speech and thusly access... because of the SCOTUS decision in 1975 concerning Buckly vs. Valejo, money became equal to free speech and it's fouled the political system ever since... now look at it... it's a total train wreck... from lobbyists getting leaked info from the fcc to political pacs, political non-profits and on and on and on... if you want your government back to being lobbied on the merits of actual speech rather than a big fat check that represents said speech, then seek a way to get Buckley vs. Valejo reversed or repealed in total or incrementally... then stories like this will vanish into thin air because money won't be the motivating factor for a politician to be beholden to anymore...

packetscan
Premium Member
join:2004-10-19
Bridgeport, CT

packetscan to woody7

Premium Member

to woody7

Are we to expect anything different

Unless you have $$ you don't know.
WTJ
join:2004-01-30