spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-10-23 16:30:49: For four years now, we've been discussing how Verizon Wireless's EV-DO broadband service was advertised as "unlimited," but featured an invisible download cap. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

Trickle down

Ok.. so now that precedent has been established, how long until other providers need to start doing the same?

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

what will OOL do...

openupshop

join:2000-11-25
Chandler, AZ

Who Cares! With 20/20 FIOS

I am still amazed by the speeds they are offering!

20/20 Can you see me now? LOL

Shamayim
I already have a Messiah.
Premium
join:2002-09-23

Used to have VZ DSL

Even though no longer a customer I still get a sense of retroactive satisfaction from the decision.
Hope it is a shot heard 'round the world against unscrupulous ISP marketing tactics.
--
"tick...tick...tick..." »www.jtf.org/

CurGeorge8

join:2005-05-02
South Park, PA

said by Shamayim:

Even though no longer a customer I still get a sense of retroactive satisfaction from the decision.
Hope it is a shot heard 'round the world against unscrupulous ISP marketing tactics.
Sooooo ..... this had nothing to do with DSL ..... this was in regards to their EV-DO wireless service.

Shamayim
Premium

said by CurGeorge8:

said by Shamayim:

Sooooo ..... this had nothing to do with DSL
Neither did my post.
--
"tick...tick...tick..." »www.jtf.org/

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to Shamayim

This is wireless folks, not FiOS or DSL.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

BuzzDar

join:2006-01-28
West Frankfort, IL

Verizon should have known better

I think if you offer unlimited anything and then you start saying there is a invisible cap than you should have to admit where the cap is but you cant punish the ones that signed up with no cap

utahluge

join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT

1 recommendation

reply to en102

Re: Used to have VZ DSL

said by en102:

This is wireless folks, not FiOS or DSL.
It still matters to dsl, cable, fiber, etc. This is the eye-opener that we have needed for a long time so that ISP's cant advertise unlimited, without it being unlimited.

wombough

join:2001-08-30
Albany, GA
reply to openupshop

Re: Who Cares! With 20/20 FIOS

verizon and vzw are different!

wombough

join:2001-08-30
Albany, GA
reply to BuzzDar

Re: Verizon should have known better

that is why unlimited was pulled for the most part some still use it and its true unlimited. IE sprint!

Anomus

@rr.com

Cool, Caps will soon be history :)

Now that everybody will be forced to provide "clear advertizing", everybody will be one-uping everybody elses caps until there arnt anymore caps. Thats why they have been keeping them invisible in the first place. Bout time somebody kicked that garbage to the curb.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ

1 edit

Really not a good day...

...For Comcast that is. The whole "delaying" packets story, 20/20 FIOS, and now a push for clear cap limits. It's still early, can they get hit with anything else, lol?

Shamayim
Premium
reply to utahluge

Re: Used to have VZ DSL

Exactly.

v35_pilot
Whoops, there goes another AMU
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Fayetteville, NY
reply to wombough

I recently had to make the choice between wireless Internet providers and ended up giving my business to Sprint, mostly due to this whole Verizon "Unlimited is not really Unlimited" fiasco.

Ulmo

join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Pawn moves forward, we win.

Verizon often tumbles into a chess square that is in our favor while in competition with whatever they're in competition with. It's nice when they do.

Those of us who had the service either didn't run into this cap (I didn't but came perilously close many times) or had to deal with it somehow. Now it's better because they're explaining their product more appropriately, so we can plan for our futures more accurately and with less losses.

Their term of service that EV-DO is not allowed to be your only Internet access is pretty funny, but it at least laid down the concepts in place that they're attempting to address with their product. They didn't quite lay down in that document that it cannot be your most used access, though, so that was an example of part of where the unlimited deception was bad (since in my case I was in my car more than where my other DSL was at the time). This is an improvement.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

i dropped vzw evdo

because they couldn't get reliable evdo coverage in my house i was forced to be in national access. I tried to put it manually in evdo but i couldn't with my card. after months of messing around with it with out a resolution i left them. did the same for their wireless phone service. i like thier services but they drag their feet.
--
3 free for you/3 free for me: Investing Trades : PM Me

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

maybe this company should be a roll model

maybe this company should be a roll model for other companies
that do the same thing may bee if we start prosecuting these companies that offer false advertising like this. this kind of bull shit would stop

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

The bullshit will continue if consumers allow it. Speak with your wallet, not your mouth.

I'm glad they were slapped in the face with it. However, presently there is no mass exodus from the service, is there?

Not only is Sprint EVDO cheaper but you truly are allowed to rape your wireless card or tethered phone with it without issue. Quality of service does degrade, however, depending on time of day.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH
reply to jchambers28

If they start going after false advertising they should go after zecco.com as they screwd a lot of people into signing up then changing the rules shortly after. Most people don't switch brokerages often since it costs money

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

Unlimited

Maybe not unlimited, but seriously how much downloading would need to be done to break this cap?

Kevin83165

join:2002-03-31
Herrin, IL

re: mass exodus

Theres no mass exodus because they will slap us with a $175 early termination fee until our contract is up.
--
Have you hugged your Mac today?

techman011

join:2001-05-06
Bohemia, NY

Since April of 2007, Verizon Wireless has voluntarily ceased cutting off customers based on their data usage and no longer prohibits common internet uses.

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to openupshop

Suuure....

I'd like to see you take your Fios on the road....

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

Maybe we need an AG for internet and wireless issues.....

Wonder if Andrew Cuomo is available? He'd be perfect.

PrettyEasy

@nextweb.net

Pretty easy

If Verizon Wireless and Cox Communications can do it, certainly so can that tool Brian "Leased BMW" Roberts.

It's time the idiots at Comcrap get with the times and annouce what their magic caps are.

anon31245

@rr.com
reply to wombough

You do know that sprint is and always has been truly "unlimited"

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Fubar16

said by Fubar16:

Suuure....

I'd like to see you take your Fios on the road....
I didn't know fios was even available in arizona
--
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much Bandwidth

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to espaeth

Re: Trickle down

said by espaeth:

Ok.. so now that precedent has been established, how long until other providers need to start doing the same?
Who else says "unlimited" data use and has a cap. Wireless, not cable or DSL, but EVDO only? It's sure not Sprint.

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..

Hughes advertises broad band unbounded.

I had an account at siteground that advertised some crazy 500G of disk space. But once I uploaded about 10G they threw me off due to a hidden clause.

Everyone is doing and I hope they notice Verizon being sued.
--
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with OpenWRT WR0.9 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my pork belly |