dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-10-30 15:59:20: Not particularly impressed with BitTorrent's decision to make their protocol closed source, the folks behind the Swedish website the Pirate Bay say they've decided to write their own protocol to replace it. ..

Tycho
the cake is a lie
join:2004-02-18

Tycho

Hmmm

This addition would certainly make things interesting...When did the BT protocol go closed?
Expand your moderator at work
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Tycho

Premium Member

to Tycho

Re: Hmmm

dont know but all it prevents is new offical versions, im pretty sure existing versions are still under GPL(if that is what it was released under) which means previous versions must still be open game.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

yay

needs to be more aonn

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

Ignite

Premium Member

Oh Dear They Might Get The Encryption Right

Could be some problems ahead if, unlike the other obfuscated BT clients, they get it right and properly impersonating HTTPS or similar.

Got to love TPB though, fantastic

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Oh Dear They Might Get The Encryption Right

said by Ignite:

Why? Because they facilitate the stealing of music?

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by FFH5:
said by Ignite:

Here we go again
BT does not equate to stealing

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by hopeflicker:
said by FFH5:
said by Ignite:

Here we go again
BT does not equate to stealing
Does the Pirate Bay equate to stealing?

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

Does the Pirate Bay equate to stealing?
There are many legitimate torrents on PB

TPB rules
@comcast.net

TPB rules to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
Without sites like TPB and overall Internet piracy the cable industries business model would continue to zap us in the butt!

Due to TPB and piracy the content industry is forced to change and offer things like Hulu and or Joost, which are just the beginning of such offerings. As time goes on there will be more of these sites and less of a need/demand for the cable TV business model.

Hooray for TPB and piracy they both prompt cool innovation and a much needed disruptive, positive change in the market for consumers!

mfrosty
Premium Member
join:2003-11-05
Crofton, MD

mfrosty

Premium Member

said by TPB rules :

Without sites like TPB and overall Internet piracy the cable industries business model would continue to zap us in the butt!

Due to TPB and piracy the content industry is forced to change and offer things like Hulu and or Joost, which are just the beginning of such offerings. As time goes on there will be more of these sites and less of a need/demand for the cable TV business model.

Hooray for TPB and piracy they both prompt cool innovation and a much needed disruptive, positive change in the market for consumers!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Piracy might one day lead to something useful and something people will pay for to get the media they desire.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Yea.. you are right. Piracy, a crime, may certainly lead to something better.. I guess the ends justify the means... Great argument.

Now.. may I?

How do you feel about the warrant-less wire taps? I personally don't like them and think they are a violation of the law. They are claimed to be illegal... Bush is breaking the law - a VERY VERY popular belief here. He's got the communications companies in with him too. Bush says that by doing what he does, our country is much safer today!

So, doesn't that make warrant-less wiretaps a good thing? I mean.. based on your views.. I'd have no choice but to agree.

/sacrasm

No.. violating the law in hopes of something better in the end is not a good idea. It's called anarchy. Is that what you want?

Seriously, I can't believe you guys even stand for that.. either that, or people who follow your views love double standards.

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

1 recommendation

Rexter to FFH5

to FFH5
Watch out simple answer ahead:

"No"

Nightshade
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

Nightshade to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Sorry to disappoint you but nope.

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

habskilla to FFH5

to FFH5
Remember people, there are places in the world where is legal to download music.

In Canada it is totally legal to download mp3s. That's why I can't understand why any Canadian would buy a mp3 from an on-line store.

So, PB, go ahead and finish up the new protocol.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Because they defend freedom.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by KrK:
said by FFH5:

Because they defend freedom.
Great!! Who are these people.. I want a new Chevy Silverado 4WD top of the line truck. I need help stealing one in the name of defending freedom.

..private me with their info so I can get started on this... thanks a million!

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Yes. They defend freedom. I'm getting damn tired of the "Give us your money and fsck off" corporate mindset. People saying what I can do, when I can do it, how I can use it, and wanting me to pay over and over for the same crap.

Places like Pirate's Bay give the big "Eff you and your Corporate Douchebaggery" and return some measure sanity back into the market.

Do I run around pirating everything in sight? No... but it's kinda nice to know that hacks/cracks/copies/rips exist, and are available to counter-balance anti-consumer trend.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

So... should it be ok to get copies of XP from pirate bay as well?

I think you'd say no, but hard to judge. After all, you just got done telling us that 1) you don't care about the rule of law 2) don't care about someone else's intellectual property and 3) don't get that they offer something, including terms, and you buy it knowing those terms - yet you want to break it.

Other than that.. "give us your money and fuck off" is the way it works.. you gave them money, they gave you what you paid for.. nothing else. In the case of intellectual property, you don't own it.. you have a license to use it. You're not buying the song, you buy the right to use it according to their terms.. it's called licensing.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

So... should it be ok to get copies of XP from pirate bay as well?

Absolutely!
Do i really want to give MS $300 of my cash?

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
In your XP example, I can tell you how it worked for me.

I copied Windows XP Pro. Yes, a pirated copy. Once I had it running and everything smoothed out and knew I wasn't going to need to go back to Win98SE, then it was time to buy XP.

Personally, I'm very glad there are places like TPB around. I believe they create a better marketplace for all of us.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

1 recommendation

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Good to know... I just wanted to put you on record that you're a thief and you have no respect for anything including therule of law..

So good,... you're a thief - and I have zero respect for you.. that's all.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

copyright infringer, not a thief. Let's get it straight

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
Yeah, whatever.

And I think what's clear here is that you have zero respect for anyone.... other then yourself, that is.

So take your false, misplaced and arrogant attitude and shove it. Sideways.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Seems the only people I have low or no respect are those people, on your side of the isle, that think its ok to take from other people and violate the law.

Again, more spin from you. It's not "theft".. its "copyright infringement" ... either way, the OWNER of the INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY still requires people to pay a license fee to use it to which you didn't but enjoy the benefits of having the software. THAT is THEFT. But, I do love how people seem to think they are "just sampling it and deciding they like it"... ever heard of trial ware? Don't offer it for the product you want? .. then that should tell you it's "not ok"...

With all the spinning going on here, I'm surprised you haven't crashed through your coffee table yet from being so dizzy.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

Seems the only people I have low or no respect are those people, on your side of the isle, that think its ok to take from other people and violate the law.

Again, more spin from you. It's not "theft".. its "copyright infringement" ... either way, the OWNER of the INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY still requires people to pay a license fee to use it to which you didn't but enjoy the benefits of having the software. THAT is THEFT. But, I do love how people seem to think they are "just sampling it and deciding they like it"... ever heard of trial ware? Don't offer it for the product you want? .. then that should tell you it's "not ok"...

With all the spinning going on here, I'm surprised you haven't crashed through your coffee table yet from being so dizzy.
Ummm, you can't trial all software. Umm, ever heard of Windows or MAC OS's?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

1 recommendation

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Um.. ever heard of English 4th grade?

The copies of Windows and Mac OS that is being talked about here are full copies of the software... NOT beta, and NOT trial-ware.

It was stated that a copy of Windows was downloaded which lead the path of purchasing a legal copy. A VERY piss poor argument for why PIRATE Bay is "ok"... and only endorsed by thieves.

I could care less about any further conversation on this. There is nothing NOTHING legal about people making copies of software and music available where there is a CLEAR law that prohibits it.

Those who believe this have to live with themselves - and be judged by others. I just happen to judge in this case.. I don't steal.. don't condone it.. and would spit on those that do. Stealing and breaking laws is wrong and leads to no where. Don't like the laws? Change them.. but to break them makes on a criminal.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

said by fiberguy2:

I don't steal.. don't condone it.. and would spit on those that do..... Don't like the laws? Change them.. but to break them makes on a criminal.
Um, news flash.....

In case you haven't noticed, no one has ever been prosecuted for doing as he mentioned. That would be because it's not stealing, and it's not criminal. Amazing how that works!
said by fiberguy2:

Um.. ever heard of English 4th grade?
Change them.. but to break them makes on a criminal
Speaking of 4th grade English?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

ooooh wow! Big man you are... my keyboard messed up and didn't put the "e" on "one" and you catch it? or maybe I was being obvious with the typo.. either way.. big man you are.

Doesn't matter either way.. the point is simple. I'd think that the FBI warnings are a pretty good indication that you don't do it. And YES, it IS theft.. its stealing.. and yes, it's against the law. Prosecuted? "AS HE MENTIONED"... great niche spin there. Have they? No.. why? It is just one and it's not worth it. HOWEVER, YES, people have been prosecuted for stealing intellectual property. People that have pressed several copies or made available the software to people have in fact been prosecuted. As for the large group of single people that do it? That's why they keep inventing things like WGA and why Comcast introduced Sandvine on to their network.

Go back to the drawing board to find another way to make the act smell like roses please. You can't justify breaking the law.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

ooooh wow! Big man you are... my keyboard messed up and didn't put the "e" on "one" and you catch it? or maybe I was being obvious with the typo.. either way.. big man you are.

Doesn't matter either way.. the point is simple. I'd think that the FBI warnings are a pretty good indication that you don't do it. And YES, it IS theft.. its stealing.. and yes, it's against the law. Prosecuted? "AS HE MENTIONED"... great niche spin there. Have they? No.. why? It is just one and it's not worth it. HOWEVER, YES, people have been prosecuted for stealing intellectual property. People that have pressed several copies or made available the software to people have in fact been prosecuted. As for the large group of single people that do it? That's why they keep inventing things like WGA and why Comcast introduced Sandvine on to their network.

Go back to the drawing board to find another way to make the act smell like roses please. You can't justify breaking the law.
but, but, but Comcast did not introduce Sandivine to combat piracy. They claim it's for "Network management"

If the masses are "breaking the law", then there's something wrong with the law.

There, I crossed my T's and dotted my I's just for you, you little angel.

Rexter
cloud 9

2 edits

1 recommendation

Rexter to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
lol "My keyboard messed up, or I did that on purpose, either way......." I gotta remember that one! I love it.
said by fiberguy2:

People that have pressed several copies or made available the software to people have in fact been prosecuted.

You've changed the subject on me. Okay, I'll follow along, I think the price of tea in China is hovering right around 120 Yang an ounce. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

If you've seen me around the forums at all, you'd know that I'm not interested in making anything smell like roses. Oh, and by the way, I have nothing to justify.

Edit 6NOV07: Spelling correction of "China".... my keyboard did it.

•••
Rexter

Rexter to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
Oh, oh, oh! Me me me!!! I wanna be labeled for the record too!!!!
Rexter

Rexter to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
Click for full size

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

Ignite to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I do apologise that I offended your sensibilities. RIAA check will be in the mail to you I'm sure. I note only mentioning music and ignoring the mass of other material that TPB facilitate the theft of and there are plenty.

Oh I don't care what they facilitate their attitude amuses me, I hope it is ok with you that TPB amuse me, as your sanctimonious attitude also does.

bingobango
@pacbell.net

bingobango to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
Actually they don't facilitate the stealing of music... it would be copyright infringement.

Also, not everything there is illegal, especially outside of the United States.

••••

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

*shrugs* If a protocol can facilitate P2P huge file distributions that gets around current BT harping, I'd be all for it. All my uses of BT are legal. If I could use a protocol that gets around the "ooooh, piracy!" crap filters, so much the better.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:
said by Ignite:

Yes.
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

devnuller

Primary Goal

"a primary goal is to limit the amount of bogus files on networks"
Is there a problem with bogus files on legal content?

••••••••

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

Isn't it too late for that?

Help me understand Open Source. Can the GPL be withdrawn? Are they just talking about future protocol versions? Won't the existing GPL version always be around?
eco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

eco

Premium Member

Re: Isn't it too late for that?

Future revisions of the protocol will not be made open source.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Re: Isn't it too late for that?

said by eco:

Future revisions of the protocol will not be made open source.
Er...is there really a need for further closed-source versions of BT? I mean, it's getting the job done. Plus, being open source, couldn't someone just rework/improve the protocol and release that?

...and I really don't understand how software can go from open to closed source. Isn't part of OSS agreements is that any further development of the software has to be OSS as well?
backness
join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2

backness

I want..

I want a Bittorrent protocol that does not need a tracker but more of an http entry portal and each member keeps a record of a certain part of the database and other nodes

tuaris
You Clicked on the Apple
join:2001-10-19
Naples, FL

tuaris

Very good

I for one support this move. It's people like this that make the world more "fair".
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

interesting

The new BT tracker should make an external spoof IP address range. In which it stores the originals IPS on the tracker side. Thus no one would no who is who.

•••

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

Well duh..people.

People who think its illegal to download stuff..thinks that its illegal everywhere..which is simply not the case.

Where the PirateBay is located its LEGAL TO DOWNLOAD this stuff.

--When will people realize this? You would also think people on this site would know this.
null9
lol
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12
Brooklyn, NY

null9

Premium Member

Re: Well duh..people.

The real problem is, a lot of people like to get on their moral high horse and judge everyone else.

Comments like "must be nice to have no morals" are totally unwarranted. They should be left out if people want to have a serious and intelligent debate, just my 2 cents...

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Re: Well duh..people.

said by null9:

The real problem is, a lot of people like to get on their moral high horse and judge everyone else.

Comments like "must be nice to have no morals" are totally unwarranted. They should be left out if people want to have a serious and intelligent debate, just my 2 cents...
You are totally right. Comments like that arent just totally unwarranted but also show a great amount of ignorance towards the outside world.

TPB FTW.
falcomadol
join:2007-06-23
Boston, MA

falcomadol

Why Pirate Bay?

Because they protect us from Ninjas of course.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

All I can say

is man they have the balls the size of the U.S.

If they just don't downright tell the movie and music industry "fuck you" every day of the week by some of their most gutsy moves.

With all of this they still have charges filed against the music and movie industry based on the leaked e-mail evidence.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Re: All I can say

said by David:

is man they have the balls the size of the U.S.

If they just don't downright tell the movie and music industry "fuck you" every day of the week by some of their most gutsy moves.

With all of this they still have charges filed against the music and movie industry based on the leaked e-mail evidence.
Great post David.
I love how TPB does just that in some of their reply emails on their site. It's some great reading!

wriley
I'M Sick Of Fixing Your Computer.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Edmonton, AB

wriley

Premium Member

Good Job

Keep up the good work pirate bay. I like to see people continuing to give an up yours to the immoral bribed lobbyist based laws of the world police USA. I'm really glad I don't live there and have legitimate legal content being blocked from me because my government cares more about lying cooperation than individual rights.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

Innovation

A lot of the file transfer systems started out as ways to pirate data. In fact it's a driving force of selling broadband Internet. I don't see why this always comes down to right and wrong, I like to think of it as progress, it will eventually trickle down to companies when they see how many people are using it.

I'm just anti-DRM, and want fair use... Why should it be so fricking hard to get a downloaded song or movie from a PC to a portable device?

A lot of downloaders could buy downloaded films and songs, and have compatibility issues with the DRM, why spend money on something that is much harder to deal with, it's easier to use an unproteced file anyday.

To sum it up, if they sell us what we want we'll buy it.

But there are some that don't think that way, the media companies are not going to get money from them no matter what they do. These are the people that download music for free so they can listen to it, if it isn't free they just won't have it.

••••