dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-11-08 12:04:18: Vonage has released their third quarter earnings, which indicate the company saw a third-quarter net loss of $162 million -- thanks in large part to the $133 million spent last quarter on legal expenses. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
satellite68
join:2007-04-11
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

satellite68

how many posts until...

the following will be posted:

1. Die Vonage, Die!
2. It's all Bush's fault
3. You dumbasses, landlines are always better than VOIP
4. Lawyers are the bane of modern society
5. Their IPO was a dot-com fantasy and is now worthless
6. That's what they get for crossing with Ma Bell
7. I have Vonage, and it's great!
8. My puppy died because I couldn't dial 911 on my Vonage
9. If you use Vonage, the terrorists win!
10. Patent laws are confusing and obsolete

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

/end conversation

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

well

You may say die vonage but that doresn't help voip at all. I am not a fan of vonage but they are the flagship of voip. And maybe the guy who purchased voip got the internet as a bundle and got voip so he could have cheap unlimited phone line. Maybe he has a tmobile phone that uses internet. Maybe he has a pda or tablet he uses the internet on. maybe his friends and family come over often to use the itnernet. Maybe we onlhy heard one part of the story.

Demonic Llama

Anon

another for the list

It's all hillarys fault!!!! cant forget that one
firewire9999
join:2004-07-11
Livonia, MI

firewire9999 to satellite68

to satellite68

Re: how many posts until...

Hmm you forgot one

12. Vonage's VOIP causes global warming.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

Vonage recovered from darkest days; but still dropping

Vonage has recovered from the darkest days after their competitors started suing them by settling out of court.

But long term, since their IPO, they are still dropping in value qtr after qtr. Given the cable companies continued growth here, their prospects still suck.

Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

laserjobs
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Las Vegas, NV

laserjobs

Premium Member

Price point has been broken

Vonage is a dead duck now VoIP price points have been broken. Why would anyone continue to pay $15-30 a month when there are now services offering the same for $3-6.

For example:
OneSuite
MagicJack
SkypeOut
Callcentric

Or even free if you use Grand Central and Gizmo Project

knightmb
Everybody Lies
join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

knightmb to satellite68

to satellite68

said by satellite68:

7. I have Vonage, and it's great!
I'll take that one.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm to satellite68

to satellite68
Wow I think you just posted everything that could be posted... game over!

Oh well there is one thing: If Vonage was $10/month it would make sense to me. But sorry, $25/month is even more than what my telco would charge me (for basic phone service).

I use cell phones, but for home I have a metered VOIP line @ $1.50/month + about $2-3 in minute charges (1.5 cents per min). I think my most expensive month it cost me $7 to have the line.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

$133 million in legal expenses?

What in the world is wrong with our country when a company has to spend $133 million dollars in legal fees? The lawyers get richer by the second..

dmeyer6
join:2002-08-14
Austin, TX

dmeyer6

Features

Vonage's stock may be in the shitter, but consider this.

Vonage offers more features for the money than any other VOIP provider. Tell me if Time Warner or Comcast offers Anonymous Call Rejection (albeit, this is relatively new to Vonage). Or Call Forwarding/SimulRing. Or voicemail to email capability. Or virtual numbers. Or toll-free numbers. Faxing. Nope, didn't think so. Plus a half dozen other things that make Vonage unique.

Based on the value, Vonage is still the best buy, for $25 you get much better free unlimited international calling to Europe landlines and a lot more features than any of the cable fat cats.

Vonage is the VOIP of choice for advanced users. This is its niche. And as long as they stay in business, I will be their customer. Despite what Jim Cramer says, Vonage is a good company and I like it.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by dmeyer6:

Vonage offers more features for the money than any other VOIP provider. Tell me if Time Warner or Comcast offers Anonymous Call Rejection (albeit, this is relatively new to Vonage). Or Call Forwarding/SimulRing. Or voicemail to email capability. Or virtual numbers. Or toll-free numbers. Faxing. Nope, didn't think so. Plus a half dozen other things that make Vonage unique.
They do offer some or all of those features.
Anonymous Call rejection: »www.comcast.com/Customer ··· atId=338
Call forwarding: »www.comcast.com/Customer ··· atId=317
Faxing: »www.comcast.com/customer ··· ?ID=2809
And many other features:
»www.comcast.com/Customer ··· atId=294
12 popular calling features, plus Voice Mail, included in one low monthly price:
Three-Way Calling - Anonymous Call Rejection - Call Forwarding - Selective Call Forwarding - Call Return - Call Screening - Call Waiting - Caller ID - Caller ID Blocking Per Call & Line - Caller ID with Call Waiting - Repeat Dialing - Speed Dial

manhole1
@70.135.104.x

manhole1 to dmeyer6

Anon

to dmeyer6
Comcast charges way too much for their VOIP. Because I don't have their cable services they want $44.95 + $3 for modem rental. Sorry, $50 for VOIP is way too much, I might as well sign up for the everything pack from AT&T at that price, and not deal with VOIP. I think once all of these triple play bundles expire there will be a huge exodus of customers canceling their Comcast Digital Voice.

knightmb
Everybody Lies
Franklin, TN

1 edit

knightmb to Jerm

to Jerm

Click for full size
It doesn't get any cheaper than this for a basic line
said by Jerm:

Wow I think you just posted everything that could be posted... game over!

Oh well there is one thing: If Vonage was $10/month it would make sense to me. But sorry, $25/month is even more than what my telco would charge me (for basic phone service).
Which telco would that be? AT&T (the only choice besides Comcast, which isn't available in this area) charges $23.60 for this:
•1 Landline
•No Touch Tone Service (must use rotary dial)
•No Long Distance
•No other call feature
•Local calls within a 50 mile radius only

You won't find a basic line cheaper, but you also don't get anything. So for a few bucks more, I can get a line through Vonage that gives me all call features, caller id, touch tone dialing, unlimited long distance/local to this Country and a few others, online call log, simulring to other numbers, etc. The list goes on.

So how is that a better deal again? Feature for feature, a basic line is terrible unless you need some type of inbound only line or only call your neighbors from time to time.

Note, that line above is an inbound fax online line I use. You won't find a line any cheaper from AT&T in this state.

mack1951
Universal Soldier
join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951 to Demonic Llama

to Demonic Llama

Re: another for the list

Hey stop piling on. You male pig you.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Idiots

"The company added 78,000 subscribers last quarter -- at least one of whom didn't even have a computer -- a particularly impressive feat."

You have to be some really special kind of stupid to sign up for VoIP and not even have a computer or internet.

jjS1973
@sbcglobal.net

1 edit

jjS1973 to knightmb

Anon

to knightmb

Dude, put the vonage kool-aid down.
I get dsl and phone service from AT&T for 52.00 a month that includes long distance and everything else.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

1 recommendation

russotto

In related news....

The RIAA has sued Charlotte McCarter, the Vonage customer without a computer, for ONE MILLION DOLLARS for copyright infringement via P2P.

EvelKub
Kitty is crazy
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Mesa, AZ

1 edit

EvelKub to dmeyer6

Premium Member

to dmeyer6

Re: Features

I really like T-Mobile's VOIP solution. While it doesn't quite have all of the features of the pure VOIP solutions, it gives me a single number and single voicemail at home and on the go.

RockyBB
Premium Member
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

Vonage to fix customer care?

That's a ridiculous concept. Vonage grew and grew with a business model that relied on lousy service. Other businesses have watched Vonage grow and grow and have copied that model. One could make the argument that Vonage invented lousy and vindictive and oppressive customer service. Citron has been providing lousy customer service for years, and has known it all this time. Remember all those news reports around the time of the IPO mentioning that one negative to the long term prospects of the stock was the lousy customer service? Fix it? He did it on purpose! I wouldn't count on any improvement even one little bit.

well87878787
@centurytel.com

well87878787 to knightmb

Anon

to knightmb

Well, you're missing the one most important thing, reliable 911, which only a telco can provide. No wireless can provide guaranteed no-delay access to the local PSAP, which is operated by the telco, nor can any VOIP company or cable company.

knightmb
Everybody Lies
Franklin, TN

1 edit

knightmb

said by well87878787 :

Well, you're missing the one most important thing, reliable 911, which only a telco can provide. No wireless can provide guaranteed no-delay access to the local PSAP, which is operated by the telco, nor can any VOIP company or cable company.
That's only relative to the area. My Vonage 911 goes to the same center that this landline does. So if anything cuts the line be it the Internet or this land line, it still results in no service. Kind of moot point to bring up. Both are only as reliable as the cable it runs through. Oddly enough when testing 911 on the landline, they had the wrong address. The Vonage had the correct address. The landline is only as good as the humans who service it, just like anything else.

You also forgot that I can't dial 911 from my landline because none of my phones support rotary dialing, they are touch tone only. In an emergency my Vonage line would be the first thing I reach for. I've been through 2 family/local emergencies with it, no problems either time.
cwruck
join:2004-08-13
La Crosse, WI

cwruck to knightmb

to knightmb
Well, you're missing the one most important thing, reliable 911, which only a telco can provide. No wireless can provide guaranteed no-delay access to the local PSAP, which is operated by the telco, nor can any VOIP company or cable company. *repost, for some reason my original isn't showing up*
cwruck

cwruck to knightmb

to knightmb
Well, I'm sorry you chose to live in an area that fails to have 911 mandatory, that's not the fault of the telephone company, it's your county you live in for not requiring it.
cwruck

cwruck to knightmb

to knightmb
The 911 infrastructure was not built for VOIP, Cable, or Wireless, therefore, you can't rely on such companies services to guarantee 911. Vonage doesn't even offer 911 unless you ask for it, kind of a joke if you ask me. Plus, with Vonage, your 911 call is going over the internet, therefore you are susceptible to all the problems the internet is, and the line isn't physically tied to your location, you are being mislead by refusing to realize the reality of the situations that have arisen in the past and will continue over getting emergency access over wireless, cable, or VOIP. Sadly enough, per the Vonage website, a lot of 911 calls go to their own 911 center, which would therefore cause delay in emergency response because you have someone in the middle answering the call, not the actual county 911 dispatch. You just can't rely on anything for 911 except POTS. As for the reliability of the cable, well, I'll guarantee that a POTS line is more reliable than cable or wireless. You get what you pay for.
cwruck

cwruck to knightmb

to knightmb
RE: "I've been through 2 family/local emergencies with it, no problems either time."

Well, best of luck to you when the time comes that it doesn't work when you need it most. I will keep you in my prayers.
satellite68
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

satellite68 to cwruck

to cwruck
uh, yeah.

if my Vonage line didn't get 911, the three cell phones I have would. And if they didn't, my neighbor's house is right there and his two cell phones would.

and yes, I've called 911 on Vonage with NO issues or delays.

The endless fearmongering about 911 and VOIP is tiresome. I'm certain that if a car hits the pole out in front of my house, NOBODY'S POTS line is going to work in the neighborhood. So your logic is a bit flawed, as even those who "get what they pay for" would be disconnected anyways.
cwruck
join:2004-08-13
La Crosse, WI

cwruck

Tell me it's flawed when you see the day when the problem happens. Plus, cell phones aren't reliable, personal experience, more than once, will never rely on a cell phone when I have access to a land line again, ever. My logic is not flawed, you try working in the business and tell me that it's flawed. Cell phones break easy, lost signals, bad weather causes towers signals to deteriorate, batteries die easier. 99% of American's don't get it, and those that do, well, still have a POTS line. End of discussion.
satellite68
Louisville, KY

satellite68

again, your assumption is that POTS is the most reliable service...seemingly based on you "working in the business". so if you do, how many break points are there with a POTS line? Are you saying they don't have any? Poles get hit by cars. CO's have power failures. Incorrect wiring in the premise. Water in the SLIC. Airplanes hitting power lines to homes and central offices.

Nice stat, BTW. I'm sure you can cite some outside reference to prove your point about "99% of American's (sic) don't get it".

knightmb
Everybody Lies
Franklin, TN

knightmb to cwruck

to cwruck
said by cwruck:

Tell me it's flawed when you see the day when the problem happens. Plus, cell phones aren't reliable, personal experience, more than once, will never rely on a cell phone when I have access to a land line again, ever. My logic is not flawed, you try working in the business and tell me that it's flawed. Cell phones break easy, lost signals, bad weather causes towers signals to deteriorate, batteries die easier. 99% of American's don't get it, and those that do, well, still have a POTS line. End of discussion.
I don't know really know if the issue is about logic. More about perception. You see a land line as invincible, where as we see it as another part of the network that can fail just like anything else. I do work in the business, I have many customers who use *only* VoIP for their business. Their uptime is as good as any land line they had before. It all comes down to equipment, backups, and reliable service. No piece of paper or 5 nine's number is going to insure that if lightning strikes a pole, the neighbor cuts your cable instead of a tree, or the phone guy gets the wires crossed, that 911 will be always be there.

I've seen the times, many times when a POTS line was dead, cut, or just not setup right by the phone company. I don't know where you get this mantra that landlines are infallible but I have news for everyone, they aren't!

This is 10 years of experience talking, not just what I read on Google. Anyone in the biz knows that yes, POTS has way over a hundred years of technology behind it, but it's as far from perfect as VoIP is and that's exactly why VoIP is growing in numbers every day. Because "we" realized long ago that the infallible POTS urban legend has haunted consumers long enough is finally fading away.
page: 1 · 2 · next