dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-11-16 13:22:24: As if cable providers weren't worried about FiOS already, Verizon last month unveiled symmetrical 20Mbps FiOS service, which takes direct aim at a cable broadband marketing weak spot: upstream bandwidth. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

AnonGuy
@198.36.95.x

AnonGuy

Anon

Yay!

Yay! First post!

Well, enough with that. I live in Lancaster PA, and I do hope we get a shot at FIOS before 10 years goes by. I have seen it and I want it.

BigPete
@qwest.net

BigPete

Anon

Where's the Love?

Why don't they offer 20Mbps to all FiOS markets?
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

pizza..

oh my the fios pizza boxes... we have those here and fios is 60 miles away from us!... I dont understand whtere there is so much fios advertising in an area that doesn't even have it... right now we have Thai menus with FiOS ad's on them... pizza boxes... and Verizon Wireless stores with FIOS banners on them... yet its not here

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

Would be nice...

just to get the bottom 5/2 tier here in TX upped like the NE has had for ages.

kilometers3
join:2007-01-24
Sacramento, CA

kilometers3

Verizon is awesome

Verizon is such an awesome company. 65 bucks a month for unlimited usage with that much bandwidth is like a dream come true. Surewest out here gives 20/20 but it costs around 80-90 dollars a month and has monthly caps on it.

Meanwhile AT&T FTTH users still enjoy their super fast next generation 6/1 speeds. xD

BryanOnComc
join:2007-06-22
Brandon, FL

BryanOnComc

ohyeah!

woohoo

Hehe
@ssa.gov

Hehe

Anon

OMG!

Verizon is installing FIOS on my street this month!!!!

»www22.verizon.com/about/ ··· ov07.doc
Hehe

Hehe to kilometers3

Anon

to kilometers3

Re: Verizon is awesome

said by kilometers3:

Verizon is such an awesome company. 65 bucks a month for unlimited usage with that much bandwidth is like a dream come true. Surewest out here gives 20/20 but it costs around 80-90 dollars a month and has monthly caps on it.

Meanwhile AT&T FTTH users still enjoy their super fast next generation 6/1 speeds. xD
I currently have 6/1mb with Comcast.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

ME TOO!

I wish every single market in the entire USA had this as an option. I wonder if they do too..

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

I'll stick with 30/5

I'll stick with my 30/5 service for $55. Maybe they will raise that to 50/10? that would be sweet.
ashs2dst
join:2002-03-24
Hillsdale, NJ

ashs2dst

It would be nice, if they could figure out why my fios wont do the 20/20 it is supposed too..

Stuck at 20/5 paying for 20/20

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

No luck for business folks

I completely understand WHY they aren't offering this for business lines (don't want to take away from their T1/T3 business?), but it still is disappointing I won't be able to get this on my business line.

Hopefully the 15/2 to 20/5 upgrade will happen sometime soon.
NoOneButMe
join:2001-08-24
TX

1 edit

NoOneButMe

IM getting the 15 by 15 ....

im goin to love it thay have no idea i called support and thay sead no to the 15mb by 15mb in texas but thay did say this weekend there doin some kinda upgrade so lets see what happens

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

2 edits

JTRockville to BigPete

Premium Member

to BigPete

Re: Where's the Love?

15/15 is plenty of luv for me (for now)

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog

Re: No luck for business folks

many small businesses will cheat by getting sym.FIOS anyway.
certainly home Subchapter-S business that do web hosting will.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to Hehe

Premium Member

to Hehe

Re: OMG!

You're going to love it. Congratulations!!
UncleDirtNap
join:2006-08-26
Pittsburgh, PA

UncleDirtNap to Hehe

to Hehe

Is that the same 6/1 service I used to have that tested at 2.5/500k peak and 128/56k between the hours of 9 and 11pm when I wanted to game? Offered by the same Comcast that made me drive 25 miles six times in less than a year to replace defective modems?

Oh come here Fios and hug daddy, I love you so much! *kiss* *kiss* *kiss*

Die Comcast, die!

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

A great big THANKS to fiosguys1 !!

It's nice to have an insider who has such thick skin!

!!! FiOS and fiosguys1 ROCK !!!

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

3 years ago people asked for did cable notice ?

Over and over , article after article. People have asked, and asked cable for symmetric packages. Even businesses served by cable cant get it. Well maybe the cablecos will listen this time.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Business Reason?

Verizon isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. There has to be a business justification somewhere for this. Does anyone have any ideas?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to UncleDirtNap

Premium Member

to UncleDirtNap

* snatches FiOS from UncleDirtNap See Profile and dashes off *
JTRockville

JTRockville to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

Re: Business Reason?

In the FiOS forum, rebus9 See Profile made an observation:
said by rebus9 See Profile, »Re: NEW ~ FiOS INTERNET PREMIUM SPEED PACKAGES :
...Seriously, I'm betting that VZ will become the neighborhood crack dealer, in a manner of speaking. Get you "hooked bad", then jack up the price.
Who knows? To me, it doesn't much matter. I'll be delighted to have it.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by JTRockville:

In the FiOS forum, rebus9 See Profile made an observation:
said by rebus9 See Profile, »Re: NEW ~ FiOS INTERNET PREMIUM SPEED PACKAGES :
...Seriously, I'm betting that VZ will become the neighborhood crack dealer, in a manner of speaking. Get you "hooked bad", then jack up the price.
Who knows? To me, it doesn't much matter. I'll be delighted to have it.
Which is why I asked the question ... because I am curious for the business knowledgeable folks to chime in.

I'm not knocking it and I hope my provider steps up and offers symmetrical speeds over my connection ... I'm just curious why. There's got to be a business reason for it.

I'm not buying that it'll make a bit of difference to the average user, they don't care or know what upstream is really ... not when you try to explain the difference in 5Mbps and 20Mbps.

I wonder if they are perhaps hoping to exploit the "geek word of mouth effect", whereas the folks who would be knowledgeable about this type of thing will recommend the service, even if it's at a slower speed ... I know I recommend products I use and think work well. My neighbor had an orange fiber cable sticking out of her backyard for 3 months before her and I started talking about it and I got her to switch away from Road Runner.
kirk1233
join:2003-08-15
Gibsonia, PA

kirk1233

Now they just need to unblock port 80

Now if they would only unblock port 80 like Comcrap does so I can upgrade without having to pay for a business class of service to be able to host my websites...
Cyberian75
join:2004-03-16
Beaverton, OR

Cyberian75

Upgrade

No free upgrade???

I've 5/2 now for $39.95. It'd be nice if they upgrade this to 15/5 or even 10/5.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

Re: Business Reason?

I had a similar experience with quite a few neighbors, long before this annoucement. But this is so far above what's available elsewhere (around here anyway), there's got to be more to it than just "geek word of mouth".

Maybe they just want to kick the cableco's while they're down.

Would be nice to hear something from the suits though.
Mitch19
join:2001-03-23
Buffalo, NY

Mitch19

Blah Blah Blah

Staying one step ahead in actuality puts them 2 steps ahead... Now the Cable company will have to think, rethink and spend to not only get to where Vz is with 15/15 or 20/20 today, but when they roll out their next latest /greatest tier it should be adequately equipped to match whatever VZ will be bumping their speeds up to in response. So, Vz is luring customers away, offering a better product IMO, and when the time comes they have the appearance that they can offer bigger and better without much issue if the need arises.

These are all win/win situations for VZ , now if they could only find someone to fix their billing nightmares.
ross7
join:2000-08-16

ross7

&%@#*^ AT&T

I am sooooooo lucky to live in a future AT&T implode-o-verse area (if they ever roll it out, ker-thump, ker-thump). I now get 3Mbps/500Kbps on a 6Mbps/768Kbps Covad/AT&T ADSL line, while two towns over (10 miles away) it's Verizon 20/20/unlimited. Gosh, I love AT&T...
flyingjoey
join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

flyingjoey

Dumped Comcrap Yesterday!

In the past month or so FIOS became available in my area, what's interesting is that I dumped the cable tv service from comcast 3 weeks ago, and then yesterday I had FIOS installed in my house, comcrap wasn't very happy, they were saying well we could give you a discount but you have to be back on the TV service again... I told the rep why would I want to go back to 14 HD Channels, when I now have 72? Does that add up.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to DaveDude

MVM

to DaveDude

Re: 3 years ago people asked for did cable notice ?

said by DaveDude:

Over and over , article after article. People have asked, and asked cable for symmetric packages. Even businesses served by cable cant get it. Well maybe the cablecos will listen this time.
By "listening" I guess you mean "rip out the HFC network and start over".

Both FiOS and cable are by nature asymmetric (the outside plant has more downstream than upstream available). However FiOS has more overall bandwidth available. Even with a ton of node splitting, cable is at a disadvantage as the system was not designed to offer anywhere near the amount of upstream to support something like 15/15 or 20/20 service.

Not to mention that 90-some percent of interweb users don't give a rat's ass about upstream...
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next