spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-11-16 13:22:24: As if cable providers weren't worried about FiOS already, Verizon last month unveiled symmetrical 20Mbps FiOS service, which takes direct aim at a cable broadband marketing weak spot: upstream bandwidth. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

AnonGuy

@198.36.95.x

Yay!

Yay! First post!

Well, enough with that. I live in Lancaster PA, and I do hope we get a shot at FIOS before 10 years goes by. I have seen it and I want it.
john3kbs

join:2007-12-11
Lemoyne, PA

Re: Yay!

You will be getting it in about 6 months or so. You can get my business card at the Circuit City there at the Verizon Broadband display.
Superstorm4

join:2008-01-01
Lancaster, PA

Re: Yay!

Is this true? Is Verizon Fios finally coming to Lancaster, PA? If so, I may hold off on DirecTV.

BigPete

@qwest.net

Where's the Love?

Why don't they offer 20Mbps to all FiOS markets?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

2 edits

Re: Where's the Love?

15/15 is plenty of luv for me (for now)
Expand your moderator at work
neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

pizza..

oh my the fios pizza boxes... we have those here and fios is 60 miles away from us!... I dont understand whtere there is so much fios advertising in an area that doesn't even have it... right now we have Thai menus with FiOS ad's on them... pizza boxes... and Verizon Wireless stores with FIOS banners on them... yet its not here

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Re: pizza..

said by neufuse:

oh my the fios pizza boxes... we have those here and fios is 60 miles away from us!... I dont understand whtere there is so much fios advertising in an area that doesn't even have it... right now we have Thai menus with FiOS ad's on them... pizza boxes... and Verizon Wireless stores with FIOS banners on them... yet its not here
LOL, BBR posted a picture of my pizza box from 2 or so years ago.

-Tzale

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

Would be nice...

just to get the bottom 5/2 tier here in TX upped like the NE has had for ages.

kilometers3

join:2007-01-24
Sacramento, CA

Verizon is awesome

Verizon is such an awesome company. 65 bucks a month for unlimited usage with that much bandwidth is like a dream come true. Surewest out here gives 20/20 but it costs around 80-90 dollars a month and has monthly caps on it.

Meanwhile AT&T FTTH users still enjoy their super fast next generation 6/1 speeds. xD

Hehe

@ssa.gov

Re: Verizon is awesome

said by kilometers3:

Verizon is such an awesome company. 65 bucks a month for unlimited usage with that much bandwidth is like a dream come true. Surewest out here gives 20/20 but it costs around 80-90 dollars a month and has monthly caps on it.

Meanwhile AT&T FTTH users still enjoy their super fast next generation 6/1 speeds. xD
I currently have 6/1mb with Comcast.
UncleDirtNap

join:2006-08-26
Pittsburgh, PA

Is that the same 6/1 service I used to have that tested at 2.5/500k peak and 128/56k between the hours of 9 and 11pm when I wanted to game? Offered by the same Comcast that made me drive 25 miles six times in less than a year to replace defective modems?

Oh come here Fios and hug daddy, I love you so much! *kiss* *kiss* *kiss*

Die Comcast, die!

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
Rockville, MD

* snatches FiOS from UncleDirtNap See Profile and dashes off *

dodgetech2

join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA
said by UncleDirtNap:

Is that the same 6/1 service I used to have that tested at 2.5/500k peak and 128/56k between the hours of 9 and 11pm when I wanted to game? Offered by the same Comcast that made me drive 25 miles six times in less than a year to replace defective modems?

Oh come here Fios and hug daddy, I love you so much! *kiss* *kiss* *kiss*

Die Comcast, die!
LOL...

BryanOnComc

join:2007-06-22
Brandon, FL

ohyeah!

woohoo

Hehe

@ssa.gov

OMG!

Verizon is installing FIOS on my street this month!!!!

»www22.verizon.com/about/communit···ov07.doc

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
Rockville, MD

Re: OMG!

You're going to love it. Congratulations!!

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

Re: OMG!

That friggin tears it; somehow I gotta get the chickens off da schneid...15/15 for little more than 15/2?

If you do *any* major uploading at all (or p2p), this is what you've been waiting for.

The question is: can *any* other provider compete with even symmetrical 15/15, DOCSIS 3.0 or not?
DX21881

join:2007-10-10
Jersey City, NJ
where did you get that doc?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3

ME TOO!

I wish every single market in the entire USA had this as an option. I wonder if they do too..
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

I'll stick with 30/5

I'll stick with my 30/5 service for $55. Maybe they will raise that to 50/10? that would be sweet.
ashs2dst

join:2002-03-24
Hillsdale, NJ

Re: I'll stick with 30/5

It would be nice, if they could figure out why my fios wont do the 20/20 it is supposed too..

Stuck at 20/5 paying for 20/20

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

No luck for business folks

I completely understand WHY they aren't offering this for business lines (don't want to take away from their T1/T3 business?), but it still is disappointing I won't be able to get this on my business line.

Hopefully the 15/2 to 20/5 upgrade will happen sometime soon.
--
Hello...is there anybody in there?

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Re: No luck for business folks

many small businesses will cheat by getting sym.FIOS anyway.
certainly home Subchapter-S business that do web hosting will.

DHRacer
Tech Monkey

join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA

1 edit
»smallbiz.verizonmarketing.com/pr···k=topnav

I'm sorry, what?

Clarification: This looks symmetrical to me:

»smallbiz.verizonmarketing.com/pr···/5m.aspx

Even though it's only 5/5...and not 15/15 or 20/20.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

It's over double the price, and that's 5/5 not 15/15. It'd be cheaper to get two business lines for a combined total of 30/4 than to pay that ridiculous price.
--

DHRacer
Tech Monkey

Lake Arrowhead, CA

So it's the same price as the T1/T3 lines they are trying to protect their resume stream on?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by DHRacer:

So it's the same price as the T1/T3 lines they are trying to protect their resume stream on?
Yep, seems that way. Like I said, it makes perfect sense. I'm just damned happy with $100/mo for 15/2. Nothing wrong with wishing I could get 15/15 for $15/mo more (which is the increase for residential hehe).
--

DHRacer
Tech Monkey

Lake Arrowhead, CA

And yet you can get a 15/2 Static on a 2 year agreement for $100 a month...like you said.

I know the office is paying like $79 a month right now for the 3/768 Static DSL service...Seems like I should bring this up!

It would certainly help the email and webserver we have currently on that DSL link, not to mention the web browsing and Share Point stuff.

--
"No one will believe you solved this problem in one day! We've been working on it for months. Now, go act busy for a few weeks and I'll let you know when it's time to tell them." (R&D Supervisor, Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing /3M Corp.)

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

Definitely. You're getting nearly 3x the upstream and 5x the down for like $20/mo more
--

DHRacer
Tech Monkey

Lake Arrowhead, CA

Let's see, $20 more a month x 12 months = $240 more a year than the 3/768 for that "nearly 3x the upstream and 5x the down". Sounds doable to me...

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ
said by DHRacer:

It would certainly help the email and webserver we have currently on that DSL link, not to mention the web browsing and Share Point stuff.
Add a 20/20 residential line and shove all your traffic that doesn't require a static IP on there.

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL
15/2 for $100/mo.? I wonder what the cost is for mo-to-mo? I hate signing contracts, especially if there's an ETF fee.

Even so, I wish I had that available. I have 1.5M/256k via the Cable co. (Charter) for $67/mo. It's "Business HSI" with static IP so I'm comparing apples to apples here, as well as it's possible to do so. What else is bad is that I couldn't get mo-to-mo. A one year contract was the shortest contract I could get.

I would use 3.0M/512k DSL w/ Static via AT&T for $70/mo. (mo-to-mo. charge), but they don't offer DSL here.

Does anyone know the cost of 5/5, assuming mo-to-mo? I'd look it up myself but I don't live in a FIOS area so I can't enter in my home phone.
JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

Residential is $8 more a month. Not sure on business service.

join:2007-11-16
removed, if you can hear me plz pm me.
why did you block me?? i am your friend.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
said by pflog:

It's over double the price, and that's 5/5 not 15/15. It'd be cheaper to get two business lines for a combined total of 30/4 than to pay that ridiculous price.
I just ordered a single T-1 line for a property that we are opening up at $379 a month through Covad. I would GLADLY pay that price for a 5/5 line if it was available.....
--
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -
Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father.
NoOneButMe

join:2001-08-24
TX

1 edit

IM getting the 15 by 15 ....

im goin to love it thay have no idea i called support and thay sead no to the 15mb by 15mb in texas but thay did say this weekend there doin some kinda upgrade so lets see what happens

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
Rockville, MD

A great big THANKS to fiosguys1 !!

It's nice to have an insider who has such thick skin!

!!! FiOS and fiosguys1 ROCK !!!
JohnA
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

Re: A great big THANKS to fiosguys1 !!

Send your friends in Rockville an email, to ask if they're getting it, or did that get resolved?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
Rockville, MD

Re: A great big THANKS to fiosguys1 !!

No, it's not been resolved. There was an election this month. Some of the folks who got elected to the city council are eager for competition, but I think the new mayor will see that it doesn't happen (just my opinion).

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

3 years ago people asked for did cable notice ?

Over and over , article after article. People have asked, and asked cable for symmetric packages. Even businesses served by cable cant get it. Well maybe the cablecos will listen this time.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

Re: 3 years ago people asked for did cable notice ?

said by DaveDude:

Over and over , article after article. People have asked, and asked cable for symmetric packages. Even businesses served by cable cant get it. Well maybe the cablecos will listen this time.
By "listening" I guess you mean "rip out the HFC network and start over".

Both FiOS and cable are by nature asymmetric (the outside plant has more downstream than upstream available). However FiOS has more overall bandwidth available. Even with a ton of node splitting, cable is at a disadvantage as the system was not designed to offer anywhere near the amount of upstream to support something like 15/15 or 20/20 service.

Not to mention that 90-some percent of interweb users don't give a rat's ass about upstream...
Ahrenl

join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Re: 3 years ago people asked for did cable notice ?

Maybe they don't care because nothing has been widely developed to use it because no one has it. It's the same as saying no one will use 100mbps because there's no killer app that would be improved by having that much bandwidth. Of course there's not. Why would you spend you time and effort developing for something that doesn't exist?!

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

Business Reason?

Verizon isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. There has to be a business justification somewhere for this. Does anyone have any ideas?
--
Pretty Fly for a White Guy™

••••••••
kirk1233

join:2003-08-15
Pittsburgh, PA

Now they just need to unblock port 80

Now if they would only unblock port 80 like Comcrap does so I can upgrade without having to pay for a business class of service to be able to host my websites...

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21

Re: Now they just need to unblock port 80

And 25, and 53, and...
JohnA
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Now they just need to unblock port 80

Only 80 is blocked.

Cyberian75

join:2004-03-16
Beaverton, OR

Upgrade

No free upgrade???

I've 5/2 now for $39.95. It'd be nice if they upgrade this to 15/5 or even 10/5.
--
Michael
Mitch19

join:2001-03-23
Buffalo, NY

Blah Blah Blah

Staying one step ahead in actuality puts them 2 steps ahead... Now the Cable company will have to think, rethink and spend to not only get to where Vz is with 15/15 or 20/20 today, but when they roll out their next latest /greatest tier it should be adequately equipped to match whatever VZ will be bumping their speeds up to in response. So, Vz is luring customers away, offering a better product IMO, and when the time comes they have the appearance that they can offer bigger and better without much issue if the need arises.

These are all win/win situations for VZ , now if they could only find someone to fix their billing nightmares.
ross7

join:2000-08-16

&%@#*^ AT&T

I am sooooooo lucky to live in a future AT&T implode-o-verse area (if they ever roll it out, ker-thump, ker-thump). I now get 3Mbps/500Kbps on a 6Mbps/768Kbps Covad/AT&T ADSL line, while two towns over (10 miles away) it's Verizon 20/20/unlimited. Gosh, I love AT&T...
flyingjoey

join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

Dumped Comcrap Yesterday!

In the past month or so FIOS became available in my area, what's interesting is that I dumped the cable tv service from comcast 3 weeks ago, and then yesterday I had FIOS installed in my house, comcrap wasn't very happy, they were saying well we could give you a discount but you have to be back on the TV service again... I told the rep why would I want to go back to 14 HD Channels, when I now have 72? Does that add up.

•••••
Done_Posting
Shoot to kill
Premium
join:2003-08-22
Toledo, OH

1 recommendation

Kudos!

I have to hand it to them, they've really raised the bar with this. I can only hope more ISP's follow suit and the "age of asymmetric speeds" finally dies a long overdue and much deserved death.

FiOS is truly an impressive product... too bad its cousin, Verizon Wireless, is such overpriced crap!

Hahaha... AT&T U-verse... what a joke!

- Tate

--
Happiness is an OC-48 in your basement...