dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-12-04 09:44:42: Under fire for inappropriate agency leaks and a war on the cable industry nobody can figure out, FCC boss Kevin Martin is now the focus of a Congressional investigation. ..

firewire9999
join:2004-07-11
Livonia, MI

firewire9999

LOL - This is funny

Congress holding an investigation.

God knows Congress is pure as the wind driven snow (NOT)!

FYI - I know this will bring the trolls out.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

wow i just looked at the bio on this guy last night.

Agent_haito
join:2002-09-20
Winston Salem, NC

Agent_haito

A step

in the right direction at least...
dogo88
join:2001-09-24
Old Bridge, NJ

dogo88

Geesh

Just because you don't like Cable, doesn't make you a bad person.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

1 recommendation

Cabal

Premium Member

said by dogo88:

Just because you don't like Cable, doesn't make you a bad person.
Nope, but abuse of authority does.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Re: LOL - This is funny

said by Subaru:

wow i just looked at the bio on this guy last night.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ke ··· 28FCC%29

So?? What is it that generates a WOW from you about his biography?

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to firewire9999

Premium Member

to firewire9999
said by firewire9999:

Yeah, that's what gets me. Even in a case like steroids in baseball where you know 100% that the people being investigated are guilty, you see the sneering smirks of those two faced windbags and you just can't root for them to win.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to firewire9999

to firewire9999
Does this mean no payback for taking VOIP customers ?
dogo88
join:2001-09-24
Old Bridge, NJ

dogo88 to Cabal

to Cabal

Re: Geesh

Not to get into the Telco vs Cable argument, but after 30 years of getting abused by cable month after month, you can't beat them enough, in my opinion.

"abuse of authority" he's not the first not the last.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Agent_haito

MVM

to Agent_haito

Re: A step

said by Agent_haito:

in the right direction at least...
I'm not so sure. It's like having Al Capone investigate John Gotti. It's not his actions they care about, it's that he is making it all too public. Gotta work your "I'm owned" magic behind closed doors.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

try the other side of the bed in the morning
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude to Subaru

to Subaru
nothing strange here - Martin is a loyal Bushie who was placed in a government job to promulgate the president's policies, which are apparently to completely deregulate the telcos (I would say the telecom industry, but Martin apparently doesn't like the cablecos) and allow media conglomerates to buy up as many media outlets as possible.

very normal for this administration.

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

halfband to firewire9999

Premium Member

to firewire9999
said by firewire9999:

Think how corrupt your actions have to appear to be for other politicians to take notice and think that you could be making them all look bad. Looks like KM has drawn some attention from the very powerful.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to dogo88

to dogo88

said by dogo88:

Not to get into the Telco vs Cable argument, but after 30 years of getting abused by cable month after month, you can't beat them enough, in my opinion.

YEs but bringing back ma-bell and giving them controll of all the US tv systems ,phone and internet wont help either.

IF cable television has to do somethign so should att and verizon.

The head of the fcc should not be catering to just one company.

vzw emp
@qwest.net

1 recommendation

vzw emp

Anon

exactly. the rules should be the same for everyone getting into the pay TV game, not just cable. and if he's so worried about cable getting too big, why isn't he freaking out over at&t? they're huge but you don't hear anything from the commissioner. this guy is a typical bush lackey. they do what they want, how they want and they think the rules don't apply.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

very true!
vidmag
join:2004-12-05
Little Rock, AR

vidmag

Martin

Maybe if Martin is ousted something will actually get done about bringing broadband to rural areas (since he doesn't think there is a problem.)
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

1 edit

Sammer

Congress isn't entirely Blameless.

I'm not a fan of either deregulation or over-regulation of a precious public resource for the benefit of a few at the expense of the public but that's what we've had for over a decade now. IMHO the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (and the DMCA, Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act, etc.) is a dismal failure and what's now happening at the FCC is just a symptom of Congress giving up its responsibility to the public a long time ago.

DotMac4
Shill H8r
Premium Member
join:2007-10-26
Huntington Beach, CA

DotMac4

Premium Member

Ahhhh, NCTA funds diversion

From the FCC to Congress.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Martin's looking so owned it makes the others jealous...

I think what's happening is Kevin Martin is looking so Telco Owned and Operated that the other politicians are getting jealous

I mean it's pretty bad when POLITICIANS think your corruption has gotten out of hand....

There's another explanation, too... Maybe the CableCo are so pissed off at Martin that they are demanding their owned and operated Congresskritters to earn their keep and go after Martin...
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5

He's a smart guy. Look at his creds. I thought WOW myself when I read the bio.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to dogo88

Premium Member

to dogo88

said by dogo88:

Not to get into the Cable vs Telco argument, but after 30 years of getting abused by Telephone month after month, you can't beat them enough, in my opinion.

... couldn't have said it any better myself.
mikenolan7
Premium Member
join:2005-06-07
Torrance, CA

mikenolan7

Premium Member

FCC Boss

I think that when the book gets written about Martin's downfall it will be attributed to that dopey picture of the dufus that Karl usually attaches to his articles about the FCC.

CableConvert
Premium Member
join:2003-12-05
Atlanta, GA

CableConvert

Premium Member

Over the Top

I try to be reasonable in filtering through a lot of what I read. If I want to know something there are so many places to go on the net to get my facts straight. Free market or regulation...either way, a good honest debate with hard facts is always in the public interest. I think KM went just a bit over the top in his last "study" on the cable industry. It is pretty obvious that he rigged the numbers. When members of your own party are openly hostile...it draws a lot of attention from everyone. I think this is now the case. For those of you who live in NC...would you honestly vote for this guy to represent you ANYWHERE??? Get ready if you do...thats where he's gonna do it (with lots of teleco money no doubt)

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to firewire9999

MVM

to firewire9999

FINALLY, this is what needs to happen.

Kevin Marin needs to be removed from his position. He has done nothing but cause our cable rates to skyrocket.

Stupid cable card mandate. Tell me, what good did requiring separable security set tops do? It's not like you can go to best buy and purchase your own box. Now my DVR rental went up each month.

Want people to be able to purchase boxes? Look at Canada. They have SA and Moto boxes at Best Buy, and they are the regular variety. It works there...

bUU
join:2007-05-10
Kissimmee, FL

bUU to footballdude

to footballdude
I agree. It is about time that Congress do something about this loose canon.
UncleDirtNap
join:2006-08-26
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

UncleDirtNap

You people are amazingly stupid.

Look at the top contributors to Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and the rest of the Democrat leadership... top contributors include Comcast, Time Warner, Viacom all the companies who stand to lose should Martin succeed in ending the unethical and anti-competitive practice of forced bundling.

Pressure has been mounting recently to act on the Consumer and Family Choice Act that has been languishing since June, pressure resulting from Martin's actions, and this is Congress' response.

The investigation is nothing but SOP Democrat corruption, once again doing the bidding of the Hollywood and media elites who bankroll them and shill for them on their channels and another kick to consumers and families in their teeth again.

Shame on you all for being so easily duped by these thugs posing as public servants.

»www.howcableshouldbe.com/

Cable lobbyists are desperate to keep their little scam intact and they'll do anything to stop Martin.