spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-12-04 10:07:57: Back in October, the MPAA sent a letter to the presidents of 25 universities informing them they'd been targeted as top p2p hubs and copyright violation hotspots. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Lumberjack
Premium
join:2003-01-18
Newport News, VA

Dumb...

So instead of trying to stop piracy, we want to remove privacy. As much as I dispise the GPL for it's viral properties I think this is great .
--
»www.fairtax.org

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 edit

said by Lumberjack:

So instead of trying to stop piracy, we want to remove privacy. As much as I dispise the GPL for it's viral properties I think this is great .
Good that it got pulled. Funny an agency promoting non-copyright infringement resorts to copyright infringement
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
Check Out the Tech Bench »www.johndball.com/index.php/tech-bench/
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

evilghost
Premium
join:2003-11-22
Springville, AL

Excellent.

Excellent. The GNU GPL is there for a reason; modify the works of someone else freely but you must provide the source code to those modifications upon request.

I don't have much issue with the MPAA but I do have issue with GPL infringement.

bored_in_nh

join:2003-01-04
Stamping Ground, KY

1 recommendation

something I never understood

So the record and movie companies say they are losing money from pirated material. How? If someone downloads something without paying for it, isn't that usually because they want that item and don't have the resources to be able to afford it? So if they can't afford it, they won't buy it. Does that count as losing money too? What's the difference between losing money because someone couldn't afford it and downloaded it, and someone who didn't download it or buy it either? OMG I don't listen to hip hop. Those record producers are losing money on me!

What if a friend of one of these pirates listens to the music or sees the movie the pirate has downloaded, and then decides they want to buy it? Hasn't this turned into a profit for the record company or movie prodcer?
--
In 2000, CEO pay was statistically 300:1 to minimum wage. In 2005, it's 431:1. If minimum wage matched growth rate with CEO pay from 1990 to 2005, it would now be $19.00/hr.

Is Ann Coulter a transexual? What's with that adams apple?

Jameson
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Fallbrook, CA
kudos:1

Wow.

One bad PR after another..

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

Brilliant

and now to claim damages for the infringement

Cudni

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Do as we say...not as we do

It isn't our property, so that makes it okay to steal it. Worked for Sony, so it is good enough for the MPAA.

Both of the **AA's need to figure out that they need a new electronic method of delivery that is easy to use, cost effective for the users, and not tied down to the machine you use to download it.

Yes they can make money from the PSP, DVD, HD-DVD, and Bluray versions, but think how much more you could sell if everyone only had to buy it once. How about personal licensing, something along the lines of Steam. What you buy you can access from anywhere with your user name and password.
--
How hard does DRM have to bite before business abandon it?

swhx7
Premium
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia

1 recommendation

reply to evilghost

Re: Excellent.

The GPL is commonly thought of as a "copyleft" or some sort of anti-copyright. In reality, however, it relies on copyright law just as much as any conventional licence or infringement action does.

So what has been exposed here is pure hypocrisy. The Hollywood cartel talks about respect for copyright when it makes them money, but just like the pirates they crusade against, they don't want it applied to limit their own behavior.

Remember folks, whenever anyone spouts some rubbish about copyright enforcers being the good guys: corporations are sociopaths, and a cartel of corporations is even worse. They have no principles, only greed.

swhx7
Premium
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia

1 recommendation

reply to bored_in_nh

Re: something I never understood

Your reasoning is right on target. They talk about billions in "losses" to piracy, but if they listed amounts on their balance sheets as debits incurred because of non-purchase of their products when potential customers decided against buying, the SEC would put them in jail. Such hypotheticals do not comport with "generally accepted accounting principles".

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

1 edit

1 recommendation

mpaa caught again

Isn't it kind of funny the riaa and the mpaa keep getting in trouble. I find it absolutely hilarious and ironic that a company supposedly trying to thwart copyright pirates does so on their own accord. great news.
--
3 free for you/3 free for me: Free Stock Trades : PM Me

Edited: thanks Dadkins for catching the typo

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

1 edit

What;'s good for the Goose

Nice to see the MPAA getting a taste of their own
medicine. Ah the irony of it all - infringing the
copyrights of the GNU GPL in order to release a tool
that is supposed to help curb copyright infringement over
p2p networks.

Of course it wouldn't be the first time that the MAFIAA
has done something like this. Remember Captain Copyright,
anyone? Or the Sony/BMG DRM Rootkit, parts of which used
code covered by the very same GNU GPL without providing
the source?

"MPAA don't f*ck with my s*it" - priceless!
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

ATMW

@att.net
reply to Kilroy

Re: Do as we say...not as we do

That's why I only buy CDs. I can then move the song into a form I can use. They can stick all their "electronic" locked to one machine" crap back up into that dark place it came from.

I also can later "sell" or "give" the used CD to a store/friend and recoup some of my dollars if I tire of the artist or hate the music.

There is no present method of transferring an electronic track from person to person or machine to machine, outside of the physical plastic CD. Much less "sell" the used electronic tracks. So why buy the songs in that format at a quality below what I want. I don't NEED to have every new CD that comes out. Buying the plastic CD gives me the ability to transfer the ownership of the songs to a 2nd party.

I hope the RIAA starves and goes the way of the Dinosaurs (that didn't adapt to changes) in their environment!

Dino.....

hehe

@ssa.gov

1 recommendation

reply to bored_in_nh

said by bored_in_nh:

So the record and movie companies say they are losing money from pirated material. How? If someone downloads something without paying for it, isn't that usually because they want that item and don't have the resources to be able to afford it? So if they can't afford it, they won't buy it. Does that count as losing money too? What's the difference between losing money because someone couldn't afford it and downloaded it, and someone who didn't download it or buy it either? OMG I don't listen to hip hop. Those record producers are losing money on me!

What if a friend of one of these pirates listens to the music or sees the movie the pirate has downloaded, and then decides they want to buy it? Hasn't this turned into a profit for the record company or movie prodcer?
I agree with you. So if i decide to not pirate something this must somehow make them some money (or not lose money). I want my fair share of that money for everything I choose to not pirate.

cornelius785

join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA

how... 'surprising'

i'm hoping a day will come in which the MPAA and RIAA will get it's own personal congressional investigation to how they run themselves and their tactics. i'm sure a lot of people agree that the MPAA and RIAA needs a drastic change, personally i wouldn't mind if they were banished from existance.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to ATMW

said by ATMW :

That's why I only buy CDs. I can then move the song into a form I can use. They can stick all their "electronic" locked to one machine" crap back up into that dark place it came from.

I also can later "sell" or "give" the used CD to a store/friend and recoup some of my dollars if I tire of the artist or hate the music.

There is no present method of transferring an electronic track from person to person or machine to machine, outside of the physical plastic CD. Much less "sell" the used electronic tracks. So why buy the songs in that format at a quality below what I want. I don't NEED to have every new CD that comes out. Buying the plastic CD gives me the ability to transfer the ownership of the songs to a 2nd party.

I hope the RIAA starves and goes the way of the Dinosaurs (that didn't adapt to changes) in their environment!

Dino.....
Can't apply that to DVDs or HD DVD/Blu-ray.
Decryption is illegal!
You can only play the item, you cannot back it up to protect your investment from getting damaged! That is illegal!
Damaged to the point of not working? Tough shit! Go buy another copy!

Yeah yeah, *I* can copy them...

EDIT: Typo.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

DotMac4
Shill H8r
Premium
join:2007-10-26
Huntington Beach, CA

Send the racketeers to jail

Extensive and repeated bribery, extortion, willful copyright infringement; .the MPAA is a criminal enterprise if there ever was one.
--
Help keep cable rates low; support "Big Cable" in their fight against the extortionists at the NFL Network!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to evilghost

Re: Excellent.

i just find humor in the trade group that is all over pirates like flies on shit, goes and violates GPL without second thought. too bad this was software and not some kinda media, he could take the MPAA to the tune of 150k per violation then.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to DotMac4

Re: Send the racketeers to jail

said by DotMac4:

Extensive and repeated bribery, extortion, willful copyright infringement; .the MPAA is a criminal enterprise if there ever was one.
Exactly the reason why they and the RIAA together are
commonly called the MAFIAA. La Cosa Nostra they may not
be, but in many ways they act like the real MAFIA.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)
Expand your moderator at work

B
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-28
reply to Lumberjack

Re: Dumb...

said by Lumberjack:

What's to despise? Developer X says "you can redistribute my work as long as you show people what you changed". If you don't like it, don't redistribute his frickin' code. Why is that a bad thing?

-- B
--
In a realm outside causality and function

Jigsaw
Stardust We Are
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins

Its a proven fact you could make money selling entire CD's for 2 to 3 bucks ask allofmp3(they paid the fucking Roms and the riaa refused to take it so stfu anti-pirate guys).Now to the point why don't the record industry do the same thing.IM not talking full price for some iTunes 128 bit Garbage im talking your choice from 128(very low price) to lossless(High price).Why am i going to go on iTunes and pay full price for 128 bit when i can go to Best buy or were ever and buy the Cd at the same price and rip it to whatever i want without that stupid DRM.There is a ton of money to be made if they(riaa/mpaa) ever get there head out of there collective ass and look.
--
"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."-George Carlin

netwire
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Shelby, NC

Stick it to them!

While I am not a file-sharer myself, I would like to see the MPAA get a taste of their own medicine. With all the lawsuits they have put against people - some people who never even owned a computer?!
--
Dell Inspiron 6000 (x1), Dell Inspiron 531s (x1), PowerBook TI 1GHz (x1), Emachine W3506 (x1), Home-made AMD 2600+ (x1) =+=+=+= Connected to the web via Sprint EV-DO Rev. A

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

Decryption is illegal!
Only if you get caught.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Kilroy

So far we have a claim that the MPAA violated the GNU GPL license. The MPAA disputes this : »mjg59.livejournal.com/78590.html···comments

Look for the toolkit to reappear after the MPAA disputes the takedown notice.

jhebert121

join:2002-06-03
Traskwood, AR

Another loss for the corn farmers

I guess this is another loss for the corn farmers?

tcp1
Premium
join:2000-04-17
Herndon, VA

1 edit

Wow, no supporters yet?

Where are all the "morally superior" RIAA/MPAA supporters and the others who will excuse the xxAAs violation of others' copyright in protection of their copyright? Come on guys, you usually have such good responses..

This just goes to show that the xxAAs aren't "moral warriors", somehow interested in preventing "theft" and protecting the "rights of artists".. They freely disregard copyright when it is economically and technically beneficial for them -- just like they accuse average P2P user of doing.

As usual, they believe they're above the law. In reality, the law should frown more on them than the average user - the industry associations consist of lawyers; average P2P users are laypeople.

Copyright in this country is broken, and simple platitudes like "THEFT IS THEFT, DEAL WITH IT!" do nothing.

The RIAA/MPAA are interested in one thing: Protecting their obsolete, expensive, inefficient business model. Over and over again it's been shown that users WILL pay for content if the price is right and the RIGHTS are right with that content. All DRM does is punish the law-abiding customer, and all lawsuits do is target the naive and poor and give the xxAA's an even worse reputation.

I guarantee you those who "pirate" the most aren't worried one bit about lawsuits - they're not sharing a plethora of files on a college network - they know better. The ass'ns can continue to nab more clueless poor college students and grandmothers in the name of "protecting copyright".. but they're driving the nail into their own coffins.

Simple answer: offer an inexpensive, compulsory license service where the money goes direct to the digital distributors and artists. Cut out the middleman. Only problem then, is, the lawyer-lobbyists go away. Boo hoo.

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL
reply to exocet_cm

Re: Dumb...

I laughed when i heard that Mr Garrett contact the MPAA's ISP to have infringing software removed

dda
Premium
join:2003-12-29
Bolton, MA
reply to bored_in_nh

said by bored_in_nh:

If someone downloads something without paying for it, isn't that usually because they want that item and don't have the resources to be able to afford it?
No. The MPAA (or RIAA) claims that a lot of the people downloading movies and music have the resources to buy it but choose to steal it, instead. Given the people the RIAA has successfully bullied into paying them gone after have had the resources to pay the thousands demanded; that money would buy a few CDs and DVDs, I'm sure.

That said, the numbers are clearly inflated since lots of people download far more movies and music than they would, in fact, purchase. For software, the inflation is far worse since people often won't pay for a retail copy but will pirate it. But again, it's not that they don't have the resources, it is that they don't think the software is worth the asking price.

So while the MPAA (or RIAA) is inflating the numbers, they do also have a case; they are losing money to piracy, just not the billions and billions they claim.

Note that this is my opinion based on what I've seen; I don't have industry studies at hand.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

said by dda:

Given the people the RIAA has successfully bullied into paying them gone after have had the resources to pay the thousands demanded; that money would buy a few CDs and DVDs, I'm sure.
Oh, Puhhlease....

Gee, you don't think the threat of total financial ruin and maybe a lifetime mountain of debt is what motivated them to scrape up the settlement money? The settlements are outrageous, but court judgements and fines appear beyond ridiculous to the extreme.
--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists, and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service." - former FCC Chairman William Kennard (A real FCC Chairman, unlike the current Corporate Spokesperson in the job!)

Xure

join:2003-11-14
Beverly Hills, CA

Criminals!

The criminal RIAA/MPAA should be charged 150 000 per instance of infringing on the copyright protected work.