dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-12-17 18:33:24: Network World says that Microsoft's Xbox 360 doesn't always play nice with neighboring wireless signals. According to the report, a troublesome signal is generated by the device's on-board 2. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta

Premium Member

Perhaps PS3 Fan Boys Striking?

I agree this late into its life and now its discovered something smells about this.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Re: Perhaps PS3 Fan Boys Striking?

Fanboys? Give me a break. I'm the one that is on his 3rd 360 from RRoD. I learned a lesson, M$ sells junk. Getting a PS3 has allowed me to enjoy (true, games are few for now) playing with friends and nephew while the 360 awaits shipping box and return (likely not till 3rd week of Jan).

So immediately, the 360 fanboys jump to "it's a PS3 conspiracy". Nice. Try putting a 2.5", 320GB sata drive in your 360. Even if you could, M$ would sell it at $400, require a special cable, and DRM the hell out of it.

For the long term investment, the PS3 is wise. The 360 has already gone to the Elite (for HDMI and deired black case) but where are the 65nm chips? And smaller GPU (Falcon board)
Meh. Keep your 360.

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16

Re: Perhaps PS3 Fan Boys Striking?

said by cableties:

Meh. Keep your 360.
Yes, I will thank you. I'll also keep my PS3, Nintendo DS, WII, and PC. Perhaps someday people will realise that they can like more than one console. These aren't religions we're talking about, they're freaking game machines.

furlonium
join:2002-05-08
Allentown, PA

furlonium to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

Fanboys? Give me a break. I'm the one that is on his 3rd 360 from RRoD. I learned a lesson, M$ sells junk. Getting a PS3 has allowed me to enjoy (true, games are few for now) playing with friends and nephew while the 360 awaits shipping box and return (likely not till 3rd week of Jan).

So immediately, the 360 fanboys jump to "it's a PS3 conspiracy". Nice. Try putting a 2.5", 320GB sata drive in your 360. Even if you could, M$ would sell it at $400, require a special cable, and DRM the hell out of it.

For the long term investment, the PS3 is wise. The 360 has already gone to the Elite (for HDMI and deired black case) but where are the 65nm chips? And smaller GPU (Falcon board)
Meh. Keep your 360.
You don't need to purchase an Elite to have HDMI. I got the Premium bundle ($350), and it has HDMI output.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

don't really care, but

One thing I find interesting is that it's still going when supposedly "off." I'd rather not be having ANY signals coming/going from the thing except standby power, which isn't much... laptops can survive in "standby" and do no such thing.

Personally, never seen this affect anyone I know w/a 360.
acs12798
join:2006-03-13

acs12798

Re: don't really care, but

I believe this is because when in standby you can turn on the console with the controllers, thus the radio needs to be on.
cmaenginsb1
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Palmdale, CA

cmaenginsb1 to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus
As others stated, it's only off if you unplug it, other than that it is in standby, the signal is for connecting to controllers to wake it up.

I have a lot of 2.4 in my house no problems. It's interesting that the Morrisville folks initially discovered the problem when it affected their BT cell headsets, not the wifi.
matrix3D
join:2006-09-27
Middletown, CT

matrix3D

That's because the Xbox controllers are also Bluetooth, I believe. As are the Wii's controllers and, if I had to guess, probably the PS3's wireless controllers as well. This might make sense that it would interfere with Bluetooth... but I thought Bluetooth did not operate on the 2.4 GHz spectrum? Can anybody confirm which frequency Bluetooth operates on?
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

1 edit

zed2608

Premium Member

»www.mobileinfo.com/Bluet ··· band.htm

2.4 to 2.483 band

SteveLV702
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702 to matrix3D

Premium Member

to matrix3D
Actually the PS3 is bluetooth and the XBox360 and Wii are just regular RF..
krichek
join:2004-02-15
Roseville, CA

krichek

said by SteveLV702:

The Wii is most definitely Bluetooth as well.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

It is bluetooth because I have paired a wiimote with my iMac and my MacBook's bluetooth and toyed around with them.
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806 to SteveLV702

to SteveLV702
Close. The Wii also uses bluetooth protocols. The PS3 and the Wii use the standard. The 360 uses a proprietary system.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to SteveLV702

Premium Member

to SteveLV702
The Wii is definitely bluetooth. I've connected it and used it to control my PC (specifically, used it with Nestopia as a zapper )

-- Rob

SteveLV702
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702

Premium Member

okay my bad I hardly play my wii I dont like it so didn't know that learn something new every day I just know the XBox 360 wireless controller is not bluetooth as I've tried to connect to my PC and you cant without the USB cable...

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to SteveLV702

Premium Member

to SteveLV702
said by SteveLV702:

The Wii is bluetooth I have one and was able to pair the control to my PC.
krichek
join:2004-02-15
Roseville, CA

krichek to matrix3D

to matrix3D
said by matrix3D:

That's because the Xbox controllers are also Bluetooth, I believe. As are the Wii's controllers and, if I had to guess, probably the PS3's wireless controllers as well. This might make sense that it would interfere with Bluetooth... but I thought Bluetooth did not operate on the 2.4 GHz spectrum? Can anybody confirm which frequency Bluetooth operates on?
The 360 controllers do not use Bluetooth, they use a use a proprietary wireless signal. Bluetooth is also in the 2.4Ghz range, it starts at 2.402Ghz and ends at 2.48Ghz.

For what its worth the Bluetooth hub for my HTPC sits right next to my 360 and I've never had a problem.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to amungus

to amungus
The govt is using MS to spy on everyone. Xbox is just part of the constant monitoring.

You've been warned.

Why do you think they got rid of lead paint? It shielded houses against many surveillance techniques.
Bordruh
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Woodbridge, VA

Bordruh

Premium Member

Now that I have cleaned the sprayed coffee from my monitor and replace my keyboard. I can say thank you for this I needed a hearty laugh to start the day.

james16

james16 to Corehhi

to Corehhi
said by Corehhi:

Why do you think they got rid of lead paint? It shielded houses against many surveillance techniques.
Was that the "asking the mentally retarded children what daddy does" technique? That's one of my fav by far.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Lighten up.

james16

james16 to amungus

to amungus
said by amungus:

One thing I find interesting is that it's still going when supposedly "off."
Did you notice how you can turn on your 360 from the controller? That's the reason it keeps the wireless broadcast going. I thought that was pretty obvious.
LowRider
join:2006-06-23
Dallas, GA

2 edits

LowRider

Yep it does interrupt other things

i have a dgl 4300 D-links. had it set on auto for channel selecting but now i have it set on channel 11. Haven't had any problems as of yet (have had a 360 since the 2nd week it came out). The only thing that i could notice before i switched the channel is my 360 controller wouldn't do anything at times, never did it interfere with my wireless Internet at all. this isn't a new problem, but then again were talking about IT people that don't play video games, that or there PS Fan-boys

EDIT: Its known that the battery will drain when the controller is off, MS even admitted this.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Re: Yep it does interrupt other things

said by LowRider:

i have a dgl 4300 D-links. had it set on auto for channel selecting but now i have it set on channel 11. Haven't had any problems as of yet (have had a 360 since the 2nd week it came out). The only thing that i could notice before i switched the channel is my 360 controller wouldn't do anything at times, never did it interfere with my wireless Internet at all. this isn't a new problem, but then again were talking about IT people that don't play video games, that or there PS Fan-boys

EDIT: Its known that the battery will drain when the controller is off, MS even admitted this.
Oh this explains alot. My wifi goes crazy switching channels very often (and causing wifi to drop out) when I use auto channel

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

1 edit

Greg_Z

Premium Member

Happens in Wal-Mart with the Demo units also

There is a fix installed at Wal-Mart stores to turn off the Wireless Controller interface on the 360 units, because it interferes with their Handheld Scanner units. Microsoft has known about this, since the units hit the stores, even before consumers knew about it.

If I still had the memo when I did marketing for Marketsource, and it was not proprietary info, I would post same.

Here is a story that Gamespot ran on Oct. 24, 2005 »www.gamespot.com/news/61 ··· 388.html
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806

great...

Not only does the 360 crash itself, now it's taking others with it.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Could be worst look at the Wii.

»www.wiiwii.tv/2007/12/14 ··· the-wii/

IM sorry i get a kick out of this one.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

Re: Could be worst look at the Wii.

said by hayabusa3303:

»www.wiiwii.tv/2007/12/14 ··· the-wii/

IM sorry i get a kick out of this one.
Well, guess if coach roaches start showing up, I know where to put the traps.. Only thing at this point that shows up when my kids are playing the Wii are a couple of squirrels who like to stare through my doorwall. Those pesky little critters.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

1 recommendation

PolarBear03

Premium Member

2.4ghz signals affect the 2.4ghz band?

You mean to tell me that a 2.4ghz signal is affecting the 2.4ghz band? Say it ain't so!

Next, you're gonna tell me that using a 2.4ghz cordless phone may affect my wireless-G connections. Pretty soon, I'll have to move my wireless router from the top of my microwave oven 'cause some idiot will claim that the oven emits 2.4ghz radio waves.
wierdo
join:2001-02-16
Miami, FL

wierdo

Re: 2.4ghz signals affect the 2.4ghz band?

Some devices are more..polite..than others, hence why some cordless phones make the band nearly unusable, while others don't.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

PolarBear03

Premium Member

Re: 2.4ghz signals affect the 2.4ghz band?

Indeed. But one must remember, it is an unlicensed band; you can broadcast whatever you want on it, so long as it doesn't exceed X amount of power. Hell, microwave ovens emit up to 1500 watts of power, they just do it inside of a Faraday cage. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet the old Amana Radarange (a 20 year old microwave oven that puts out about 1500 watts) probably doesn't have the best of Faraday cages and leaks a bit, thus affecting Wi-Fi and 2.4 telephones.

••••
Shark_615
join:2006-01-17
Pickering, ON

Shark_615

Crap Routers

I would be more concerned with the quality of the routers. The xbox is not the only thing that operates in this range and myself and everyone I have come into contact with the xbox has never had any issues. Many run a Wii next to their xbox and there are never any issues.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Re: Crap Routers

said by Shark_615:

Many run a Wii next to their xbox and there are never any issues.
I am one of those. They sit maybe 6 inches apart, no issues at all.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

2 edits

TheMG

Premium Member

Polluted spectrum.

If you want to know what I think, I think the 2.4GHz spectrum is over-used and polluted.

What's sad is that the portions of the entire radio spectrum that are available to Mr and Mrs Everyone are very very limited.

On my Wi-Fi network the maximum I get here is 5mbps (802.11G) whereas at my old house I could get 22mbps. This is with the same equipment, and both tests were performed with the router just 3 feet from the laptop. Being that my area has a much higher population density than where I used to live, there's probably a whole whack of interference. Changing channels barely makes any difference...

Heterman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fayetteville, AR

Heterman

Premium Member

Re: Polluted spectrum.

Have you tried turning "b" off?

About the article, what happened to Part 15?
wierdo
join:2001-02-16
Miami, FL

wierdo to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

If you want to know what I think, I think the 2.4GHz spectrum is over-used and polluted.
Perhaps you ought to acquire some 802.11a equipment. It's not as if 2.4GHz is the only band available for your use.
Zerny
join:2007-05-04
Fort Gratiot, MI

Zerny

Surprised

Im more suprised anyone still uses a home phone, espically a tech savy Xbox 360 user anyhow...

•••••••
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT

What do you expect with unlicensed spectrum?

Well duh. 2.4 GHz is an unlicensed allocation. Devices operate their in an unlicensed free-for-all, per Part 15 of FCC Rules. Of course they're gonna interfere. Part 15 says any unlicensed device just has to put up with it. Don't like it? Only turn on one piece of equipment at a time.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 edit

TheMG

Premium Member

Re: What do you expect with unlicensed spectrum?

That's what I was getting at, too much of the spectrum is licensed and not enough of it isn't.
said by PDXPLT:

Don't like it? Only turn on one piece of equipment at a time.
Great idea! I'll go tell my neighbours to turn off all their 2.4GHz devices.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to PDXPLT

Premium Member

to PDXPLT
said by PDXPLT:

Well duh. 2.4 GHz is an unlicensed allocation. Devices operate their in an unlicensed free-for-all, per Part 15 of FCC Rules. Of course they're gonna interfere. Part 15 says any unlicensed device just has to put up with it. Don't like it? Only turn on one piece of equipment at a time.
Amateur Radio operators are the primary users on the 2.4ghz band, we can run up to 1500 watts legally.
What you're referring too is the allowance of unlicensed stations to operate under certain strict rules (power/antenna limitations).

-Tzale

vdiv
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23
Reston, VA

vdiv

Premium Member

Watch out for that "green blizzard" coming to steal your lucky charms at night...

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Otherway?

Ive actually ran into the problem the other way around. In my neighborhood, in my room I can pick up 11 wireless networks. I used a wireless controller in my room and it was lagging something fierce! The buttons wouldnt pick up often, the movements were jerky.I went into our basement where there are alot fewer signals and it was like normal.
DemonicLlama
Premium Member
join:2007-11-19
Arlington, VA

DemonicLlama

Premium Member

Wireless A/v transmitter

This would explain the reason my wireless a/v signal xmitter gets interference every now and then since i got my 360.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

Almost anything can screwup WiFi

Ok.. my sons x360 sits 10 feet from his PC which uses a USB WIFI adapter to connect to my router. I've never noted any issues with this set up. He uses his head set, no problem. Uses his wireless controllers, no problem. Only issue I've ever had with WIFI is my older 2.4ghz handsets, sitting at the PC, will sometimes knock it offline but once I locked in the routers channel. That problem is no longer a issue. I think that the conditions have to be just right if people are having problems but right now.. I'm on the fence and will lean towards tossing in the BS flag on this one.
jamesv3
Premium Member
join:2003-03-08
Austin, TX

jamesv3

Premium Member

Component changes can happen late in production

Component changes can happen late in the production cyclem both as oart of manufacturing cost reduction efforts and due to component availability. The components themselves can be changed for the same reasons by their manufacturers, and they won't tell Microsoft if they think they won't get caught (if they reduce the cost of the component they don't want to tell MS and have to share part of the savings).

So it is quite possible to have this sort of thing show up this late. It's not supposed to be functionally visible of course. especially when it's likely to draw FCC attention and regulatory action, but it can happen.

AnonProxy
Premium Member
join:2001-05-12

AnonProxy

Premium Member

Geek meltdown!

Just saying
ditka_b
Premium Member
join:2001-10-05
Barrington, IL

ditka_b

Premium Member

Years later?

Noones ever complained before and I have a wireless setup right next to the xbox with it plugged into the lan port on the wireless router. I've had 4 routers since the 360 and 3 360's and never had any problems. Rediculous claim years too late.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

No problems here with three 360's

No problems here. I have three 360s in my condo that are always
connected to A/C power.. Several bluetooth devices, several wireless
G devices, a wireless router, a wireless access point, 2.4Ghz phone(well one way is 2.4Ghz, the other direction is 5.8Ghz).
I have zero problems with anything at 2.4Ghz.

TechieZero
Tools Are Using Me
Premium Member
join:2002-01-25
Lithia, FL

TechieZero

Premium Member

Who Are They Talking To?

From the article,

Barber says the signal seems be created by the console's embedded 2.4GHz radio, which is used to communicate with the handheld wireless controller -- the gizmo with the buttons that manipulate a game running on the console. The Xbox also takes an optional Wi-Fi adapter, in the form of an USB dongle, to connect to a WLAN access point.

Barber says his "best guess" at this point is that the embedded radio, not the USB adapter, causes the signal. The signal is created even if the Xbox console is shut off: Just plugging its AC adapter into an electrical outlet seems to trigger the radio to look for -- and keep looking for -- a companion wireless controller. "It’s even worse when you have multiple Xboxes in an area," Barber says.

Who is the target audience here? Retards? Best guess? DUH! What a crap article.
page: 1 · 2 · next