dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2007-12-20 11:02:34: Infoworld notes that the millions of pilgrims in Mecca this week for the Hajj, an annual gathering of Muslims, can stay connected thanks to a temporary Wi-Fi mesh network [att=1253803,r]that covers much of the city. ..

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

tiger72

Premium Member

wow

Good for them! Of course, what good is it when you only have access to a dozen government approved websites?
Expand your moderator at work

ureihcim3
Freshly made
join:2007-12-16
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

ureihcim3 to tiger72

to tiger72

Re: wow

LAN party, enough said.

Of course expect it to be used for "other" purposes as well.

FiL25
Premium Member
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD

FiL25

Premium Member

Re: wow

Didn't even have to put the quotes up, Captain Generalizer... :|

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

Jesus!

Look at all of those sheep people
45071419 (banned)
join:2006-07-30

1 edit

45071419 (banned)

Re: Jesus!

No crowd control or organization, that's how they roll. I guess you really can't organize a million people though and this is the result each year...

»www.google.com/search?hl ··· +trample

FiL25
Premium Member
Silver Spring, MD

FiL25

Premium Member

No organization? Really?

I have many friends that took the journey in the early 90's, and told me about hundreds of ushers, people handing out the typical dress wear, rugs, water, food. I seriously doubt its a crazed fest of worshippers (sp).
45071419 (banned)

45071419 (banned)

It can't be too organized with hundreds of people getting trampled every year. But in the end it is their religious duty to go, and they know the risks.

If they feel like taking that risk of getting trampled in the yearly stampede, more power to them.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

1 recommendation

fatness to FiL25

to FiL25
said by FiL25:

I have many friends that took the journey in the early 90's, and told me about hundreds of ushers, people handing out the typical dress wear, rugs, water, food. I seriously doubt its a crazed fest of worshippers (sp).
Well who are you going to believe: your friends who have first-hand knowledge, or snap judgments on the internet based on Google searches?
45071419 (banned)

45071419 (banned)

Smart ass comments aside Fatness, it's a FACT that people get trampled to death year after year. Like I said, more power to them.

1 edit

45071419 (banned) to fatness

to fatness
What's the matter, can't handle a decent retort Fatness?

NM, thought Fatness had my post deleted.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

Well who are you going to believe: your friends who have first-hand knowledge, or snap judgments on the internet based on Google searches?

NEWS reports of carnage every year aren't snap judgements of internet commentators. It is a fact this happens. and there are hundreds of legitimate news organizations that report on the madness.

FiL25
Premium Member
Silver Spring, MD

1 edit

FiL25 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
hehe...touche!

But ummm, yea.

Lots of death's here in the U.S. from over crowded venues, such as concert seating rows collapsing an such things that go along with public safety.

But what Im wondering is why bring that "fact" up when its got nothing to do with wifi in the city?

Unless of course your trying to divert potential visitors, you know, the ones that will be doing "other" things?

jmullins
@comcast.net

jmullins

Anon

Hey! in the states we have a trampling every year too! it's called BLACK FRIDAY at WALMART

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to FiL25

to FiL25
said by FiL25:

Lots of death's here in the U.S. from over crowded venues, such as concert seating rows collapsing an such things that go along with public safety.

But what Im wondering is why bring that "fact" up when its got nothing to do with wifi in the city?
Exactly. A news article reporting something positive connected with Muslims is an article you can expect certain people to try to derail.
MADx
join:2005-05-25
Richmond, IN

MADx to hopeflicker

to hopeflicker
Some of us believe in the spiritual, some of us believe in the physical, but we got to believe in something to get us through life's twist and turns.

1 recommendation

AbolishReligion

Anon

maybe YOU do, but WE dont

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 edits

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by AbolishReligion :

You THINK you don't, but we all deny the truth to some degree I guess. If you are so sure of yourself and proud of your views, why the anonymous thing?

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by RR Conductor:
said by AbolishReligion :

You THINK you don't, but we all deny the truth to some degree I guess. If you are so sure of yourself and proud of your views, why the anonymous thing?
pfft!!
clearly clueless.
You can speak for yourself when it comes to your denial.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

quick! someone tell Earthlink...

tell Earthlink about this. 60 days to roll out, serves hundreds of thousands...
Expand your moderator at work

anonanom
@shawcable.net

anonanom

Anon

prawn

Would be something else if it was hacked and it all took them to pron sites.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

outsourcing is everywhere

From the Infoworld article:
quote:
Saudi Arabia's Communications and Information Technology Commission appointed an Internet service provider, Bayanat Al-Oula, to provide the temporary network. It was rolled out in less than 60 days with no help from Tropos personnel, Barton said. Aptilo Networks, a wireless-management software and services company based in Stockholm, is running the network as a managed service from its offices in Malaysia.
houselog442
join:2005-10-05

houselog442

At least Mecca doesn't have to worry about Tancredo anymore!

Now they don't have to worry anymore about losing that wifi since Tom "Nuke Mecca" Tancredo pulled out of the race.
mofotech
join:2007-12-08
Miami, FL

mofotech

Re: At least Mecca doesn't have to worry about Tancredo anymore!

I have gone to hajj in 2005. You guys know how many muslim come to Mecca for the pilgrimage? Millions. From all over the world. All for one purpose to visit their Lords House and to Please Him and endure hardship and sacrifice just like Prophet Abraham.(»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is ··· _Abraham ) Its awesome and very well organized. I had a very smooth journey there and no problems. Sure something like a stampede can happen. So what. Whats the biggie? It can happen at a movie theater when there is a fire. It can happen anywhere. I am happy they got wifi there thats good to keep people connected. I wish they had it when I went. haha.