spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-01-07 17:58:45: For the millions of Verizon customers out of range of FiOS, the fastest Verizon residential DSL speed you can get is 3Mbps, unless you want to upgrade to a business-class line. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

sansri88
digital is here
Premium
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY
kudos:1

Lol

I can't even get DSL at my place. No FiOS yet either. I guess I'm stuck with Comcast for the time being

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
said by sansri88:

I can't even get DSL at my place. No FiOS yet either. I guess I'm stuck with Comcast for the time being
I feel your pain.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I could get DSL in my area.
--

Ö¿Ö
The Rules of Spam | Maryland's Newest Anti-Spam Law
Where are we going? And what's with the hand basket?

Steve B
Premium
join:2004-08-02
Auburn, WA

LOL

I already have that tier for my DSL through Qwest and I only pay $36.99 and its non-promotional too.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to newview

Re: Lol

Yeah $5 more a month, 4mbs more downstream.

3mb/384k verizon's only real package could use a minor bump in speed.

Cogdis

join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY
reply to newview
What about a contract?
I want to drop TWC to get a little more upload, but only if I can switch to fios when they switch it on. No point in being locked into an old technology.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium
New York, NY
reply to newview
Sad thing about my situation is, I live in a suburban environment and I can't get DSL. I can imagine someone out in the middle of no where not getting it, but look at where I am! The fifth largest township in NJ. Reasoning--too far from the CO.

Dude9
What Happens When I Do This
Premium
join:2000-11-20
Chicago, IL

ATT

Hello ATT we want more bandwidth. Follow Verizon
--
(sig was too long)

dei283

join:2007-02-07
Willingboro, NJ
reply to Steve B

Re: LOL

Heck I am stuck paying 38.95 for 768/128 Dsl.... Because I am a customer from the days of Bell Atlantic... Cable is a non option here. Even If i cancel I can never be come a so called new customer. I would have and change my name So i am not in their billing system.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

ex-GTE = 1500

I'd love just to have 3000...

rideboarder
welcome to the social
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Snohomish, WA
reply to Mike

the upload speed is 768k for the 3MB tier.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm certainly not seeing it... I'll ask them and see what's going on.

allgold

join:2005-03-26
East Lansing, MI
reply to Dude9

Re: ATT

AT&T already offers 6/768 for $35/month. I'd rather have that than an extra 1M download for $48/month.

dialupsux

join:2007-01-09
Stony Point, NC

boohoooooooo

I'd love just to be able to get DSL. Quit your crying girls.

Skunko

join:2000-10-12
Texas
reply to Dude9

said by Dude9:

Hello ATT we want more bandwidth. Follow Verizon
ATT, TAKE NOTES!!!!

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2

Where are the money complaints?

With all of the complaints of cable prices around here, I am surprised not to see any complaints about the $48 price.

Comcast 8/768 or 16/2 = $52.95

Not much of a difference MB for MB, and whatever speed tiers are available in your system are available for everyone, despite length from the headend.

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Ka-ching

Damn for that price Comcast is looking a whole lot better.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

8000 ft....

And I am 11000 ft from the CO.

I pay $7 more for my 10 Meg down, 1 Meg up cable, and I am happy with it. Until DSL can bring me something faster for the same price or lower at my 11000 ft.... I am not going anywhere :P
--
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -
Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father.

ashworth7

join:2001-10-06
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to sansri88

If you're in VZ territory, chances are you'll be getting FiOS before anything else... It will only be a matter of time(12-36mo), before all off NJ is FTTP..At least you'll be in the pipeline for the future.

srr2

join:2001-12-20
Bethlehem, PA

7mbps won't be any different from 3mbps

The sole accomplishment of this offering will be to bring a whole new tier of low speed complaints to the Verizon Forum. They can't support 3mbps now, how does anyone expect them to support 7mbps?

zoom314

join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Time Warner Cable
reply to newview

I'm getting 6M/768K right now from Verizon, Of course I'm 8890' from the CO , And It's only $8.00 more than what I was paying for the 3M/768K , I only wish the upload were double.
--
(25.92GHz crunching for SETI with the PC Perspective Killer Frogs)

sansri88
digital is here
Premium
New York, NY
reply to ashworth7
Yup, I'm VZ territory--former Bell Atlantic. FiOS is in all the townships around me, I hear this spring we're getting it.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to MadMANN3

Re: Where are the money complaints?

Because nobody will say a bad thing about their beloved telco, the almighty Verizon. For a whole $1.91 more I get 15Mb down/1 Mb up Road Runner. DSL is the new dial up, they could offer me their crappy speeds for free and I wouldn't take it. God I can't wait until I can get digital phone from TW so I can get away from Verizon for good.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to srr2

Re: 7mbps won't be any different from 3mbps

I'm at 3Mbps in DC, and I'm like 2000 feet from the CO. But, they didn't improve the upload speed any on this tier. I don't see any reason to go past 3Mbps if I can't get a higher upload speed. I get my 3Mbps just fine, btw, but then things vary from place to place.

ShadezeRO

join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to allgold

said by allgold:

AT&T already offers 6/768 for $35/month. I'd rather have that than an extra 1M download for $48/month.
I think he means Bellsouth.

ShadezeRO

join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Happydude32

Re: Where are the money complaints?

People usually stick to DSL For the reliablilty, and to try and minimize the chance of being on an oversold node.

It's also generally cheaper, with a larger variety of tiers available.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
Right now Verizon has two residential tiers, Granny and 2003. Granny DSL, 768Kb and 2003 DSL, 3Mb. I called it 2003 DSL because 3Mb was the speed of Road Runner back in 2003, it's now 2008. Here TW has three speed tiers, some franchises have 4. Cheaper, well you get what you pay for, breaking the price down, DSL is MUCH more expensive. I pay ~$3.33/megabit per sec per month. Granny DSL is $20/month for less than 1Mb. My cable service has been nothing short of reliable, three outages in five years, two of them on my end (crushed cable replaced the next day, lawn mower sliced cable, TW was out here two hours after it happened) and one ten minute outage at 1 in the morning a few years ago for system maintenance.
--
Time Warner Cable Subscriber
Digital Cable & Road Runner Turbo
252 Channels, HD DVR & 15/1 Broadband
I Don't Want No Stinkin' Fios!

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to dei283

Re: LOL

said by dei283:

Heck I am stuck paying 38.95 for 768/128 Dsl.... Because I am a customer from the days of Bell Atlantic...
Have you called billing? I've been a Verizon customer for years and have had numerous price reductions and speed increases.

/tom

matrikz

join:2002-08-13
Pottsville, PA

1 edit
reply to axus

Re: 7mbps won't be any different from 3mbps

i got news for you cable guys, the thing is that cable is a shared link... meaning that both your upload and download links are on a shared line with each other, dsl is not.. which means dsl has a lower latency and better pings for such things as games and downloads... all you cable guys try this out, upload a 100mb file to a friend then to download the latest nvidia drivers and see what speeds ya get... i'll bet they're no where near what your dl caps are... we on Verizon however can upload at our caps of 90K/s and download at our current caps of 360K/s at the same time... i use to be a Comcrap customer and dropped them like a bad habbit when VZ came into town and haven't looked back since.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

Does that comw ith power boost?

Now does that come with power boost of speeds upto 12Mbps/1Mbps like comcast offers?

qworster

join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

Just in time for me to move out of Verizon territory...

I'm moving to Hollywood middle of the month, which is AT&T territory.

Oh well...looks like it's (back) to DSL Extreme for me.

6000/768 with 8 static IPs for 50.00/month.