dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-01-07 17:58:45: For the millions of Verizon customers out of range of FiOS, the fastest Verizon residential DSL speed you can get is 3Mbps, unless you want to upgrade to a business-class line. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3

anon1567894654 to firephoto

Anon

to firephoto

Re: ex-GTE = 1500

Our extension GTE C.O. out here offers 3000... you sure thats all they offer???

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

Latency

Ha DSL latency runs at about 200ms around here... I do installs for verizon ext. gte DHCP servers around here... I go with comcrap because of that reason... It wouldnt matter anyway because... they dont offer service where I live... I'm not too far from the C.O., live well within its limits... however it would cost VERIZON too much to run new copper capable of DSL specification as well as maintance on such a line that they choose not to do it...

So I'll keep my Cable internet... comcast doesnt Sandvine our area... im a happy customer... with 50ms pings or below...
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to matrikz

to matrikz

Re: 7mbps won't be any different from 3mbps

Well, I'm a DSL guy now, because what Verizon offered in my area met my needs better than Comcast. I did the speed tests... my Cable connection in VA was better than my DSL in DC, and my Cable connection in MD was equivalent to my DSL in DC.

Cable IS a shared medium, but if they keep down the number of customers using broadband per loop, its fine. Without the filtering packet spoofing crap, of course. I've been fortunate to have providers with low latency that delivered the speeds they advertised. My assessment for my area is Cox > Verizon > Comcast.

MadMANN3
Premium Member
join:2005-08-19

MadMANN3 to matrikz

Premium Member

to matrikz
Sometimes it's funny when people who don't know what they are talking about post mis-information. And sometimes it's pretty annoying.

wdoa
join:2001-10-16
Spencer, MA

wdoa to ashworth7

to ashworth7

Re: Lol

said by ashworth7:

If you're in VZ territory, chances are you'll be getting FiOS before anything else.
Unless you are in Masachusetts where Verizon is in a pissing match with the state and refuses to extend FIOS in the state beyond their current FIOS footprint.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm to firephoto

to firephoto

Fire do you have the old Orkit/Fujitsu frame relay modems? If so 1.5mbit is the fastest those can go, because the entire DSLAM only has 1.5mbit for all the customers hooked up to it!

If you can cancel/reorder you'll get a new ATM Westell and welcome to 7mbps
Jerm

1 edit

Jerm to MalibuMaxx

to MalibuMaxx

Re: Latency

MalibuMaxx -

DSL can ping better than cable. Verizon sets all lines up with Interleaving ON - switch that to Fast Path and the pings will go down to 5ms to the gateway.

I've had both DSL & Cable, tweak'd to the max for gaming. DSL does provide a more reliable gaming experience (ie pings would be 20ms or 21ms, never fluctuating more than 1-2ms) but in the end for me it was the cable bandwidth that won out.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to Jerm

Premium Member

to Jerm

No, I have some flavor of westell modem. I want to say I'm 8000 feet out but I can't remember. I know when I first got caller id it didn't work so they 'fixed' the line and eliminated the 25000 foot loop I was loaded up on.

I think the wire here is smaller too I was told. Last time I called I was told that 1500 was the only option in the area.

modem is a westell b90-210015-04

VZ Guy
@myvzw.com

VZ Guy to dei283

Anon

to dei283

Re: LOL

Yeah, you should be able to negotiate a new rate or add services together for a new bundle price and increased savings.
VZ Guy

VZ Guy to sansri88

Anon

to sansri88

Unfortunately DSL is a distance technology and not a straight line distance. It is actual distance of the wire so if it is routed around your neighborhood and you are at the end of the line, you may not be able to get or get degraded speeds. However, VZ was not running any new fiber at the end of '07 because budgets were used and quotas achieved. They will be out running new fiber and lighting up wherever they can as of the new year '08 which is good news for the remainder of NJ. 11 new S NJ communities just lit up. »www.verizon.com/nj
VZ Guy

VZ Guy to Kila

Anon

to Kila

Re: Not a good start imo

Verizon's address qualifications are very tempermental because they run the address database across USPS databases. Unfortunately, this makes the info very tricky to get exactly correct. Such as the city you live in could be listed as the township instead of the town or even of some appreviation for the city, town, or township. The best way to search is to attempt to leave the address as basic as possible and not too specific. This usually leads the database to bring back choices for you to choose your correct addres for qualification.

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

3 edits

MalibuMaxx to Jerm

Premium Member

to Jerm

I tried fastpath a few times... but the copper out in my area really stinks... Id be hard pressed to see 45 ms (which is not that bad) on fastpath... (often it would be 50+ though) It all depends on where u are... With one customer they complained about disconnects as well (Signals were on teh boarderline...) thats why i usually never try it with a customer...

I was in no meaning saying DSL can't ping better than cable just depends on the copper on that loop as well as many other variables...

and in all reality cable gets that low... so DSL can ping comparable to Cable... lol

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
join:2005-08-23
Woodbridge, NJ

Travelfan1 to sansri88

to sansri88

said by sansri88:

I can't even get DSL at my place. No FiOS yet either. I guess I'm stuck with Comcast for the time being
Really? I am surprised! Why? I have DSL,and I don't believe I am that far away from you....

That said, 47 bucks a month? get out of here, I am paying 29.99 for my 3M and for less than 47, I could get Comcast high speed internet at 6....
Travelfan1

Travelfan1 to MadMANN3

to MadMANN3

Re: Where are the money complaints?

Hey MadMANN, I guess you missed my post

»Re: Lol

See, I am really not one of these Comcast bashers, teleco lovers...

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY

sansri88 to Travelfan1

Premium Member

to Travelfan1

I'm like 18,200 feet from the CO. Right on the edge of the Woodbridge CO.

MadMANN3
Premium Member
join:2005-08-19

MadMANN3 to Travelfan1

Premium Member

to Travelfan1

Re: Where are the money complaints?

said by Travelfan1:

Hey MadMANN, I guess you missed my post

»Re: Lol

See, I am really not one of these Comcast bashers, teleco lovers...
Haha. I always knew there was a good quality about you!

But, actually, if you look at the timestamp, my post came first.

jubangy
Premium Member
join:2005-03-26
Corry, PA

jubangy to Dissonance

Premium Member

to Dissonance

said by Dissonance:

What about a contract?
I want to drop TWC to get a little more upload, but only if I can switch to fios when they switch it on. No point in being locked into an old technology.
According to the signup page, when Fios becomes available they will automatically switch you.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

1 edit

Pashune to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds

Re: ATT

Not to mention our upload speeds are different as well (512 kbits). With that being said, however, any user on 6.0 within Bellsouth territory gets the FULL 6 meg download (Assuming the line conditions are proficient and up to par, as well as the servers you're downloading from). 6 meg customers will sync at an 8 meg data rate, but will be able to download at 6 mbits per sec. It's a little something called Maxsync.
Pashune

Pashune to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto

26 ga perhaps? It's the same situation for me, but my loop is around 15,000 kft and I can get 3 meg just barely. This is directly to the CO; no joke.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Pashune

Premium Member

to Pashune

said by Pashune:

6 meg customers will sync at an 8 meg data rate, but will be able to download at 6 mbits per sec. It's a little something called Maxsync.
Not all 6 Meg customers sync at 8 Meg. That is 100% impossible.

And MaxSync has caused numerous problems for many people as seen by the multitude of posts in the Bellsouth Forum with people begging to be taken off of it. They rightly post that their previously perfect DSL is no longer stable due to MaxSync.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune to MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

to MalibuMaxx

Fastpath is supposed to set your line provisioned with no error correcting whatsoever. While this does keep your ping rates as short as possible, things like line noise (CRC errors) can now interfere with the line and slow things down or make download speeds appear jittery, which is usually more imminent on longer, poorly conditioned lines. Interleaving introduces higher pings (and slightly less downstream thoroughput), but can be the difference between having a very stable line or having a line that is nearly unusable.

45 ms sounds very high for a fastpath line; anything from 7-15 ms is usually fastpath. You were likely interleaved.
Pashune

Pashune to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds

Hahahah, I recall doing that.

I realize I also should have noted that not all 6 meg customers will sync at 8 meg due to loop length, line noise, etc...

Is that better?
brawney
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD

brawney to BryanP

Premium Member

to BryanP

Re: $47.99 / month seems high....

said by BryanP :

I am a VZ DSL customer in Buffalo, NY right now.....I get 3MB DSL for $29.99 / month. So jumping up to $50 for 4 more meg seems pricey to me.

Although I would like more speed, for $50, I would probably just stay at the 3mb for $30.
I'm in the same situation and feel the same. I would like 7mb (don't really "need" it) but not enough to pay that much more money. I still think its a good price, but I'm happy with 3/768 at $29.

studabak
@att.net

studabak to sansri88

Anon

to sansri88

Greetings : I have similar frustration..... Cable is here but costly, as is satellite, and wireless..... 600 feet from Hwy. DSL is running down that trunk to/from next town....... and I can't have it because the line I'm on in that same trunk is over 12,000 feet from its hub station...... yet my friend in Oklahoma with Pioneer Telephone 30 miles from town just got DSL before Christmas...... I just have to wonder if some of us are being treated fourth rate in a third world way on purpose......
matrikz
join:2002-08-13
Pottsville, PA

2 edits

matrikz to maartena

to maartena

Re: 7mbps won't be any different from 3mbps

duh every ISP is shared in that sense, however cable has the download line and upload line shared... which for you n00bs out there means that when you are uploading something your download speeds will be cut in half or better... on dsl that NEVER happens as those links are not shared. not tha it is shared with your neighbor or anyone else on the same node.
mitchdbx9
join:2004-12-09
Frostburg, MD

mitchdbx9

THEY SUCK

OK, this is a crap! I have been poking around using Verizon's online ordering system. It seems that all of the houses near me that do not have verizon DSL are capable of getting 7.1 speeds, but for MY DSL connection NO ONE will help me get my line provisioned at 7.1 (Don't believe me, check it out in your area.)
I have talked to tech support (ha, they didn't even know that there way a 7.1 until I asked why I was looking at the verizon website that talks about 7.1 speeds)! Finally, they told me that my line can support the speed, but they can't give me more speed, talk to billing. I talk to billing, they tell me that they can't help me because they don't have a higher provisioned speed for my line option on their computer.... BS, why??
I ask to talk to SOMEONE that know WHAT THEY HELL IS GOING ON, and I get a customer support "supervisor" (Mr. Cummingham, the jackass as I like to call him!) in Virgina Beach that tells me I CAN NOT talk to anyone higher because basically he is GOD and the last line of customer support. That is BS to.... you are telling me that there isn't anyone higher that him, he doesn't have a boss. I didn't know that I was talking to the CEO... and even he has a boss(es)
This feel like crap! They are only selling this service to new customers, or are least that what it appears like to me..... B.S. I say! With comcast in the area, I just might have to go with them (16 Mbps).... think about this... for Verizon @ $40 per month for 7 Mbps you are paying $5.71 per Megabit.... when, if I go with Comcast @ $70 for 16 Mbps you are paying $4.37... so, I'm paying a bit more because I like directv and don't want tv through comcast, but on a per megabit basis, I'm STILL saving $1.34 per Mbit!!! Wow, what the hell am I waiting for and why do I pay more? Well, QoS... but that won't hold me over forever!!!! Verizon, do something, NOW!!
prev · 1 · 2 · 3