dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-01-07 17:58:45: For the millions of Verizon customers out of range of FiOS, the fastest Verizon residential DSL speed you can get is 3Mbps, unless you want to upgrade to a business-class line. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Lol

I can't even get DSL at my place. No FiOS yet either. I guess I'm stuck with Comcast for the time being

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Re: Lol

said by sansri88:

I can't even get DSL at my place. No FiOS yet either. I guess I'm stuck with Comcast for the time being
I feel your pain.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I could get DSL in my area.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Yeah $5 more a month, 4mbs more downstream.

3mb/384k verizon's only real package could use a minor bump in speed.

rideboarder
welcome to the social
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Snohomish, WA

rideboarder

Premium Member

the upload speed is 768k for the 3MB tier.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I'm certainly not seeing it... I'll ask them and see what's going on.
Dissonance
join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

Dissonance to newview

to newview
What about a contract?
I want to drop TWC to get a little more upload, but only if I can switch to fios when they switch it on. No point in being locked into an old technology.
shashinka9
join:2000-09-16
West Boylston, MA

shashinka9

you can sign up for DSL and once they install FIOS they will switch you over. They don't want to keep you on copper if you have fiber (less maintenance costs).

jubangy
Premium Member
join:2005-03-26
Corry, PA

jubangy to Dissonance

Premium Member

to Dissonance
said by Dissonance:

What about a contract?
I want to drop TWC to get a little more upload, but only if I can switch to fios when they switch it on. No point in being locked into an old technology.
According to the signup page, when Fios becomes available they will automatically switch you.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88 to newview

Premium Member

to newview
Sad thing about my situation is, I live in a suburban environment and I can't get DSL. I can imagine someone out in the middle of no where not getting it, but look at where I am! The fifth largest township in NJ. Reasoning--too far from the CO.
ashworth7
join:2001-10-06
Pittsburgh, PA

ashworth7

If you're in VZ territory, chances are you'll be getting FiOS before anything else... It will only be a matter of time(12-36mo), before all off NJ is FTTP..At least you'll be in the pipeline for the future.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Yup, I'm VZ territory--former Bell Atlantic. FiOS is in all the townships around me, I hear this spring we're getting it.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo

said by sansri88:

Yup, I'm VZ territory--former Bell Atlantic. FiOS is in all the townships around me, I hear this spring we're getting it.
As consumer internet offerings go, that's a short time away (if true).

wdoa
join:2001-10-16
Spencer, MA

wdoa to ashworth7

to ashworth7
said by ashworth7:

If you're in VZ territory, chances are you'll be getting FiOS before anything else.
Unless you are in Masachusetts where Verizon is in a pissing match with the state and refuses to extend FIOS in the state beyond their current FIOS footprint.

VZ Guy
@myvzw.com

VZ Guy to sansri88

Anon

to sansri88
Unfortunately DSL is a distance technology and not a straight line distance. It is actual distance of the wire so if it is routed around your neighborhood and you are at the end of the line, you may not be able to get or get degraded speeds. However, VZ was not running any new fiber at the end of '07 because budgets were used and quotas achieved. They will be out running new fiber and lighting up wherever they can as of the new year '08 which is good news for the remainder of NJ. 11 new S NJ communities just lit up. »www.verizon.com/nj

studabak
@att.net

studabak to sansri88

Anon

to sansri88
Greetings : I have similar frustration..... Cable is here but costly, as is satellite, and wireless..... 600 feet from Hwy. DSL is running down that trunk to/from next town....... and I can't have it because the line I'm on in that same trunk is over 12,000 feet from its hub station...... yet my friend in Oklahoma with Pioneer Telephone 30 miles from town just got DSL before Christmas...... I just have to wonder if some of us are being treated fourth rate in a third world way on purpose......

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314 to newview

to newview
I'm getting 6M/768K right now from Verizon, Of course I'm 8890' from the CO , And It's only $8.00 more than what I was paying for the 3M/768K , I only wish the upload were double.

Koughen
@verizon.net

Koughen to sansri88

Anon

to sansri88
Keep it. I'm sorry I went to DSL.

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
join:2005-08-23
Woodbridge, NJ

Travelfan1 to sansri88

to sansri88
said by sansri88:

Really? I am surprised! Why? I have DSL,and I don't believe I am that far away from you....

That said, 47 bucks a month? get out of here, I am paying 29.99 for my 3M and for less than 47, I could get Comcast high speed internet at 6....

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

I'm like 18,200 feet from the CO. Right on the edge of the Woodbridge CO.

Steve B
Premium Member
join:2004-08-02
Auburn, WA

Steve B

Premium Member

LOL

I already have that tier for my DSL through Qwest and I only pay $36.99 and its non-promotional too.
dei283
join:2007-02-07
Willingboro, NJ

dei283

Re: LOL

Heck I am stuck paying 38.95 for 768/128 Dsl.... Because I am a customer from the days of Bell Atlantic... Cable is a non option here. Even If i cancel I can never be come a so called new customer. I would have and change my name So i am not in their billing system.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Re: LOL

said by dei283:

Heck I am stuck paying 38.95 for 768/128 Dsl.... Because I am a customer from the days of Bell Atlantic...
Have you called billing? I've been a Verizon customer for years and have had numerous price reductions and speed increases.

/tom

ohiosurfer
@verizon.net

ohiosurfer to dei283

Anon

to dei283
Call Verizon. My DSL was cancelled due to an expired credit card, but my phone line remained active. When I called them and signed up for dsl again I was given the new customer rate ($14.95/mo).
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to dei283

to dei283
Say you need service at "Apt A" and under a different name if anything.
Expand your moderator at work
shashinka9
join:2000-09-16
West Boylston, MA

shashinka9 to dei283

to dei283
Call and tell them your situation. If they don't budge then tell them you would like to cancel and go with someone else (even if you have no one else to go to). Hopefully you would get to the retentions dept and they will give you a package.

VZ Guy
@myvzw.com

VZ Guy to dei283

Anon

to dei283
Yeah, you should be able to negotiate a new rate or add services together for a new bundle price and increased savings.

Dude9
What Happens When I Do This
Premium Member
join:2000-11-20
Chicago, IL

Dude9

Premium Member

ATT

Hello ATT we want more bandwidth. Follow Verizon
allgold
join:2005-03-26
East Lansing, MI

allgold

Re: ATT

AT&T already offers 6/768 for $35/month. I'd rather have that than an extra 1M download for $48/month.
ShadezeRO
join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

ShadezeRO

Re: ATT

said by allgold:

AT&T already offers 6/768 for $35/month. I'd rather have that than an extra 1M download for $48/month.
I think he means Bellsouth.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to allgold

Premium Member

to allgold
said by allgold:

AT&T already offers 6/768 for $35/month.
Not in the 9 States that were Bellsouth previously. Try much higher pricing.

•••
Skunko
join:2000-10-12
Texas

Skunko to Dude9

to Dude9
said by Dude9:

Hello ATT we want more bandwidth. Follow Verizon
ATT, TAKE NOTES!!!!

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

ex-GTE = 1500

I'd love just to have 3000...

••••
dialupsux
join:2007-01-09
Stony Point, NC

dialupsux

boohoooooooo

I'd love just to be able to get DSL. Quit your crying girls.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Re: boohoooooooo

said by dialupsux:

I'd love just to be able to get DSL. Quit your crying girls.
Well, won'tgo for your 'girls' comment but I'm with you on the cruing. Stuck on dialup here too.

Like others, 3000/768 here in northern NH too. People on the lower upstream should keep hammering away. You'll ge the faster upstream. WHICH IS WHAT THIS NEW TIER NEEDS TOO. I'd much rather have 5000/1000.

MadMANN3
Premium Member
join:2005-08-19

MadMANN3

Premium Member

Where are the money complaints?

With all of the complaints of cable prices around here, I am surprised not to see any complaints about the $48 price.

Comcast 8/768 or 16/2 = $52.95

Not much of a difference MB for MB, and whatever speed tiers are available in your system are available for everyone, despite length from the headend.

••••••••••••

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron

Premium Member

Ka-ching

Damn for that price Comcast is looking a whole lot better.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

8000 ft....

And I am 11000 ft from the CO.

I pay $7 more for my 10 Meg down, 1 Meg up cable, and I am happy with it. Until DSL can bring me something faster for the same price or lower at my 11000 ft.... I am not going anywhere :P
srr2
join:2001-12-20
Pipersville, PA

srr2

7mbps won't be any different from 3mbps

The sole accomplishment of this offering will be to bring a whole new tier of low speed complaints to the Verizon Forum. They can't support 3mbps now, how does anyone expect them to support 7mbps?

•••••••
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Does that comw ith power boost?

Now does that come with power boost of speeds upto 12Mbps/1Mbps like comcast offers?
matrikz
join:2002-08-13
Pottsville, PA

matrikz

Re: Does that comw ith power boost?

yea power boost... like i said, try uploading AND downloading at the same time and tell me what your speeds are... not to mention your latency... run a speed test to the closest test server to you on cable, and i'll bet i cut your latency time in half on dsl
GunnarDanne
join:2002-12-02
Crown City, OH

GunnarDanne to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Nope. 7mb is pretty much the limit for dsl.
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

Just in time for me to move out of Verizon territory...

I'm moving to Hollywood middle of the month, which is AT&T territory.

Oh well...looks like it's (back) to DSL Extreme for me.

6000/768 with 8 static IPs for 50.00/month.

mike12806
Premium Member
join:2007-08-28
Framingham, MA

mike12806

Premium Member

comcast?

well I know im going to get blasted from this....but i get rock-solid comcast 16 down/2 up....if it wasn't for the bittorrent filtering comcast would blow verizon's crappy old-tech DSL out of the water.

dslwanter
20 years on this site
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP

dslwanter

Premium Member

DSL's whole problem

DSL has two problems, distance & availability. Performance sucks for those far out like myself and we're limited with speeds. 8,000 ft loop length is still significant and is further than what AT&T allows for 6mbps, but still what about those stuck further out. This is why cable prevails as much as it does.

johnkins
@psu.edu

johnkins

Anon

Re: DSL's whole problem

had cable (comcast), too many people got booked. Started with speeds of 6/384 in 2001 then up in 2005 we canceld cause over the years it dropped to 2.8/300. Since the verizon dsl was $34 at the time for 3/768 we switched. I do miss having the 6mbps download rate so 7mbps would be very nice.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo

Re: DSL's whole problem

The above two posts, "DSL's whole problem" and "Re: DSL's whole problem", discussing the pointed problems with DSL and Cable, pretty much sum up the basic fundamental detriments of both services, technically as implemented.

It's worth saying that each one also has examples of where those technology deficiencies are not a problem, for instance, with DSL, being close enough and/or good wire ("cable" but that has multiple definitions, i.e., twisted pair, aka traditionally for telephone), and with "Cable" (i.e. coax, aka traditionally for television), nodes that are speedy (not overloaded).

There can also be some other differences: DSL is more often less restrictive in its acceptable use policies, and "cable" is usually faster than DSL. Depending upon the details of the available packages, your available budget, and what needs you have, those other differences are often important, and often are not.

What I advocate is seeing them as shades of the same thing, and learning what particular thing you have available in your home or business, so that you can make your decisions. A lot of people end up getting both, one at one time, the other at a time later, and go back and forth and finally settle on what works better for them.

The worst situation is when people are locked into contracts that they can't get out of to get something more appropriate for them. Locally, AT&T pushes terms onto resellers that require contracts, but they've gotten looser. Comcast doesn't do those term contracts. Also, Comcast costs more at the low end. Where I live, only one is fast; the other is slow. (You can guess which is which.) I think the contract lock-ins are worse than slow speeds, because ultimately they stifle competition and therefore quality, and therefore speed, in the general, bigger, long run.
Kila
join:2008-01-07
Winter Garden, FL

Kila

Not a good start imo

I went to the website to see if fios was in my area and the site didn't even recognize my address as being a genuine street address lol. I guess it was confused because my street has no directional modifier (N, S, E, W) or apartment number. I never did find out if fios is in my area. No matter what I tried the site insisted I was putting in a P.O. Box or something.

VZ Guy
@myvzw.com

VZ Guy

Anon

Re: Not a good start imo

Verizon's address qualifications are very tempermental because they run the address database across USPS databases. Unfortunately, this makes the info very tricky to get exactly correct. Such as the city you live in could be listed as the township instead of the town or even of some appreviation for the city, town, or township. The best way to search is to attempt to leave the address as basic as possible and not too specific. This usually leads the database to bring back choices for you to choose your correct addres for qualification.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme

MVM

Bellheads vs. Netheads

Netheads are turned loose and you get FiOS.

Bellheads are turned loose and in about 10 years they push the limits to what they were 8 years ago.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Sweet

My loop is 5500 feet from CO. I am spoiled with the $27.99 price for life though, not sure if I would go for it.

BryanP
@192.xx.65

BryanP

Anon

$47.99 / month seems high....

I am a VZ DSL customer in Buffalo, NY right now.....I get 3MB DSL for $29.99 / month. So jumping up to $50 for 4 more meg seems pricey to me.

Although I would like more speed, for $50, I would probably just stay at the 3mb for $30.
brawney
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD

brawney

Premium Member

Re: $47.99 / month seems high....

said by BryanP :

I am a VZ DSL customer in Buffalo, NY right now.....I get 3MB DSL for $29.99 / month. So jumping up to $50 for 4 more meg seems pricey to me.

Although I would like more speed, for $50, I would probably just stay at the 3mb for $30.
I'm in the same situation and feel the same. I would like 7mb (don't really "need" it) but not enough to pay that much more money. I still think its a good price, but I'm happy with 3/768 at $29.

chazman1
join:2001-11-19
Mount Orab, OH

chazman1

Wish I could sign up

About 2,800 feet from the CO and if available I would get this today. No other choices in the area would come close to this speed.

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

Latency

Ha DSL latency runs at about 200ms around here... I do installs for verizon ext. gte DHCP servers around here... I go with comcrap because of that reason... It wouldnt matter anyway because... they dont offer service where I live... I'm not too far from the C.O., live well within its limits... however it would cost VERIZON too much to run new copper capable of DSL specification as well as maintance on such a line that they choose not to do it...

So I'll keep my Cable internet... comcast doesnt Sandvine our area... im a happy customer... with 50ms pings or below...

•••
mitchdbx9
join:2004-12-09
Frostburg, MD

mitchdbx9

THEY SUCK

OK, this is a crap! I have been poking around using Verizon's online ordering system. It seems that all of the houses near me that do not have verizon DSL are capable of getting 7.1 speeds, but for MY DSL connection NO ONE will help me get my line provisioned at 7.1 (Don't believe me, check it out in your area.)
I have talked to tech support (ha, they didn't even know that there way a 7.1 until I asked why I was looking at the verizon website that talks about 7.1 speeds)! Finally, they told me that my line can support the speed, but they can't give me more speed, talk to billing. I talk to billing, they tell me that they can't help me because they don't have a higher provisioned speed for my line option on their computer.... BS, why??
I ask to talk to SOMEONE that know WHAT THEY HELL IS GOING ON, and I get a customer support "supervisor" (Mr. Cummingham, the jackass as I like to call him!) in Virgina Beach that tells me I CAN NOT talk to anyone higher because basically he is GOD and the last line of customer support. That is BS to.... you are telling me that there isn't anyone higher that him, he doesn't have a boss. I didn't know that I was talking to the CEO... and even he has a boss(es)
This feel like crap! They are only selling this service to new customers, or are least that what it appears like to me..... B.S. I say! With comcast in the area, I just might have to go with them (16 Mbps).... think about this... for Verizon @ $40 per month for 7 Mbps you are paying $5.71 per Megabit.... when, if I go with Comcast @ $70 for 16 Mbps you are paying $4.37... so, I'm paying a bit more because I like directv and don't want tv through comcast, but on a per megabit basis, I'm STILL saving $1.34 per Mbit!!! Wow, what the hell am I waiting for and why do I pay more? Well, QoS... but that won't hold me over forever!!!! Verizon, do something, NOW!!
page: 1 · 2 · next