dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-01-09 09:07:30: Verizon has long told us they'll eventually migrate their FiOS network from BPON to GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) fiber technology. Their current BPON technology splits 622Mbps downstream and 155Mbps upstream among 32 users. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

The tubes are full!!

I just recall that AT&T Whitacre fool crying the "tubes are gonna burst"... yet really?

Funny, all that upgrading and yet, websites are gonna load up more junk to quagmire it.

Stream you? Stream me!
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Symmetric speeds... thats's what fiber can do, not docsis 2.

Verizon might as well sync their packages...

15/15
30/30

20/20
50/50
100/100

Unless you go for 50/50, 100/100.. you don't need a gpon, just yet.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

So they pick PA,NJ,MD and NY but not DE?? Wow...another brainy criteria selection from VZ.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 recommendation

morbo

investors, take note: "future proof"

there are many posts on this site that attempt to paint the general consensus here at dslreports.com that Verizon's strategy is superior than pretty much anything else being deployed in this country -- as nothing but fanboy love. in reality, i believe it is the desire to DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME and the future proofing that many believe is a smart strategy.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

*yawns*

I will probably be 40 years old by the time my city gets fiber..if at all.

Probably have better luck with Comcast getting me fiber by then.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt

Re: Symmetric speeds... thats's what fiber can do, not docsis 2.

Lighten up, Francis.

I'm 2 miles north of you in PA, and I STILL can't get Fios.

Half the town has it, the other half doesn't. All the conduit was installed 6 months ago, and still nothing.

Verizon blames "equipment delays" for the lack of deployment.

Besides, Delaware wasn't left out of the 7MB residential DSL deployment, as a matter of fact, you guys were the trial area.....

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Francis?? Lol...it's Matt.

I was just joking anyway. Why would I ever need more than the 15/15 connection I have now?

(Yes, I know some people out there need it, just not me)

STrRedWolf
join:2006-06-18
Severn, MD

STrRedWolf

BPON/GPON

So when do we get those possible bumps or upgrades to the equipment we have already?

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Maybe...

DOCIS 10.0 will be able to compare?

telcolackey5
The Truth? You can't handle the truth
join:2007-04-06
Death Valley, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcolackey5 to cableties

to cableties

Re: The tubes are full!!

said by cableties:

I just recall that AT&T Whitacre fool crying the "tubes are gonna burst"... yet really?
Just because your driveway is really, really wide doesn't mean you can get to the city any faster during rush hour.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt

I'm joking too.

The Francis reference is from the movie "Stripes".

As a matter of fact, a local Philly area band was called "Don't call me Francis".

»www.francisband.com/

They used to play the Colosseum before it closed. Don't know if they're any good....

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

Verizon might as well sync their packages...

15/15
30/30

20/20
50/50
100/100

Unless you go for 50/50, 100/100.. you don't need a gpon, just yet.
No kidding.

10/10
20/20
30/30
50/50

Would be my plan with 100/100 in testing. But I do think that it's stupid to oversubscribe something like 100/100, especially if you pay a premium price and expect to use the service.
DX21881
join:2007-10-10
Jersey City, NJ

DX21881

this doesnt matter

doesnt make a difference for me because fios is still not available to me in Jersey
Bio_Hazard
join:2005-06-10
Lake Isabella, CA

Bio_Hazard

I live in Cali and where I live there are only two companies to get broadband from, Mediacom and Verizon. I don't think we are going to be getting fios any time soon.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to telcolackey5

Premium Member

to telcolackey5

said by telcolackey5:

said by cableties:

Just because your driveway is really, really wide doesn't mean you can get to the city any faster during rush hour.
Amen brother.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

C0deZer0

Premium Member

BPON, GPON...

So is the next version going to be a QPON?

KrazyDawg
join:2001-02-07
San Francisco, CA

KrazyDawg to cableties

to cableties

Maybe they're getting ready to add more HD channels and offer their own version of On Demand.
KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg to morbo

to morbo

Re: investors, take note: "future proof"

I agree. Invest early on ahead of the competition and they'll be so far behind they can't catch up. Eventually, a greater need and demand will come for this service.

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13 to telcolackey5

to telcolackey5

No, but you and your wife can leave at the same time in the morning. Bandwidth is often confused as being purely about speed when in fact it's just as much about capacity.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by kyler13:

No, but you and your wife can leave at the same time in the morning. Bandwidth is often confused as being purely about speed when in fact it's just as much about capacity.
Yeah, but one of you still has to wait when the road narrows to one lane.

I think his point was, unless the band-end (back haul) infrastructure is upgraded, the last mile upgrades don't matter. For pure internet speed anyway.

Luckily, it seems like Verizon has been pretty good about upgrading their back hauls if necessary, or at least planning for a reasonable over subscription ratio.

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13 to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0

Re: BPON, GPON...

Actually, WDM-PON. Think 2.4Gbps dedicated to your house and not shared with 32 or 64 homes.
kyler13

kyler13 to Matt3

to Matt3

All I know is that over my 15 Mbps connection, I can't get more than 3Mbps on a download from Microsoft's HD WMV content site. But I can download 5 large files simultaneously at 3 Mbps.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

KCrimson

Premium Member

4 months too late, not proactive at all...

I've been reading about Verizon's GPON transition since before Verizon started to offer FiOS in Brooklyn, NY in August. I'm one of the few customers that signed up immediately when it became available. There are perhaps 6 FiOS cusomers on my entire upscale residential block (I'm in Bergen Beach - a neighborhood with many amazing homes). Since installation I've been scratching my head as to why they didn't deply GPON, and now wondering why people are congratulating them now for being proactive. Brooklyn, NY has GOT to be the most densely populated area that Verizon has deployed FiOS to date (and it will remain so until Manhattan is deployed). I don't think it was proactive, but rather reactive to cable competition's continual domination.
I can't wait to hear whether the Ave. R CO which is being wired as I type will have customers using GPON ONT's or not - I bet they're going to be BPON since the CO was probably equipped before this anouncement.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to kyler13

to kyler13

Re: BPON, GPON...

gimme

KCrimson
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson to kyler13

Premium Member

to kyler13

said by kyler13:

All I know is that over my 15 Mbps connection, I can't get more than 3Mbps on a download from Microsoft's HD WMV content site. But I can download 5 large files simultaneously at 3 Mbps.
Is it only Microsoft's site, or is that for all distant sites? Have you tried something like apple.com that also has large files available from the left coast?
wev567
join:2006-02-25
Pittsburgh, PA

wev567 to KCrimson

to KCrimson

Re: 4 months too late, not proactive at all...

Think they've been testing the technology for some time, and probably waiting for equipment to be standardized and manufactured. Of course, they could have stopped all FiOS design and installation while waiting for the latest upgrades, making you wait even longer.

The upgrade from BPON to GPON will be soon. Meanwhile, enjoy what you are gonna get.
LowRider
join:2006-06-23
Dallas, GA

LowRider to KCrimson

to KCrimson

said by KCrimson:

said by kyler13:

Is it only Microsoft's site, or is that for all distant sites? Have you tried something like apple.com that also has large files available from the left coast?
its not just your download that makes it fast, you could have a 1,000,000meg's down and still receive the same. the person your downloading from needs a fast upload connection for you to get a fast download, and also u have the distance and all that technical BS to.

KCrimson
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

You replied to me - I was the one asking the question about whether he tried to download large files from other distant servers. Didn't you think that I asked that question for precisely the reason that you are attempting to explain?

Anyway... I tried a download from Microsoft's HD WMV content server - I too am seeing about 350KB//sec - it's Microsoft's pipe that needs Drano or a wide bore snake. I downloaded a 165MB disk image from apple.com and got over 2.1 MB/sec (also on the west coast).

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

20/20 here.. Problem is most sites can't give it to me fast enough. I really think anything for the average user 20/5 is fine
Lee
HarleyYac

HarleyYac to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike

Re: *yawns*

EAsy kid.. I'm over Forty.. You may like it LOL
page: 1 · 2 · next