dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-01-18 11:16:51: The FCC has announced (pdf) that the agency will be conducting another round of "White Space" broadband testing starting January 24. ..

wvcaver
Premium Member
join:2005-04-17
Millersburg, OH

wvcaver

Premium Member

what about BPL

BPL emits RFI but do they care NO !
But dont screw up a stupid ball game with RFI !

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

$10/mo ??

They insist such unused white space "could deliver Internet access to every American household for as little as $10 a month, by some estimates."
I'd like to see the analysis the Wireless Innovation Alliance did or got elsewhere that came up with that price. It isn't in their link here: »www.newamerica.net/files ··· mary.pdf

factchecker
@cox.net

1 recommendation

factchecker

Anon

"For as little as $10 a month" statement is the same as "up to 10Mbps download speed." There is no guarantee that you will ever see it, but it COULD, MIGHT, MAYBE happen.

They can't prove it. Fact is, while white space use is a good idea, statements like that hurt the credibility of the initiative.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to wvcaver

to wvcaver

Re: what about BPL

said by wvcaver:

BPL emits RFI but do they care NO !
But dont screw up a stupid ball game with RFI !
Are you actually worried about BPL? Is BPL ever going to take off? No of course not. I remember reading 8 years ago how in 2010 BPL would be a serious competitor to DSL and cable. Well here we are 2 years away and they are no closer to that reality than they were in 2000. Google will be offering me internet over whitespace before I see my electric company offering BPL. And who knows how long it will be before Google does that.

wruckman
Ruckman.net
join:2007-10-25
Northwood, OH

wruckman

White space

The White space is there for a reason. To eliminate interference and crosstalk between the channels. If you put data in that band you will cause interference. Even with the improvements in digital. The same thing could be done by smashing the channels together and put all the "white space" at the end or beginning of the band. To help eliminate crosstalk between the TV and data bands but you still may get crosstalk in the TV band between channels especially if you live close to a transmitter. But you would have to reprogram all the digital receivers if you smashed the channels together as opposed to programming the data receivers to use separate channels within the different spaces in the tv channels.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

Damaged Device

The reason the first test failed was supposedly because of a damaged device. This unlicensed mess of using cheap white space devices anywhere will result in lots of damaged, interfering devices being used. Using white spaces to provide relatively inexpensive fixed wireless internet service in rural areas makes sense, but cheap mobile white space devices or use in metro areas does not.
cornelius785
join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA

cornelius785 to wruckman

to wruckman

Re: White space

as the demand on the finite spectrum increases these 'white spaces' (however it is defined or found) will be used. there is a lot of research going on concerning using these 'white spaces' and WILL continue and increase as time moves forward.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

GeekJedi

Premium Member

It WILL continue, but that doesn't mean that it ultimately WILL happen.

Unless, of course, you're from the future, and connecting to our dimension via white space.