dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-01-31 16:57:37: Customers have united in a class action lawsuit against T-mobile for the wireless company’s practice of charging subscribers for unwanted text messages. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

thrillhaus
Premium Member
join:2003-12-26
Long Beach, CA

thrillhaus

Premium Member

I know my mom...

I know my mom doesn't like to receive text messages because of this very reason. However, I think she now has a family plan of text messages. I'll still forward the link onto her, though

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

T-Mobile

I don't even use text messages.

I think people should stop purchasing services without reading the terms first... Purchase a service, sign a contract and not know the companies policies?

-Tzale

tommy13v
Premium Member
join:2002-02-15
Niskayuna NY

tommy13v

Premium Member

About time

I had a problem with Verizon with this crap and its about time something is done. I know a few people with T-mobile and have had this issue.
Zoly
join:2004-01-04
Houston, TX

Zoly

I don't want SMS too!

This is very annoying issue with T-Mobile. Even SMS from their own system are being charged.

Why should we pay for them I don't know. I do not use SMS service and tried disabling it with no success.

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

Jovi

Premium Member

Wow

Just two weeks ago I called T-mobile about disabling texting and was told they couldn't do it because of phone updates. I am glad BBR posted this. Now off to join in the fun.

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
join:2003-05-20
Wild West

Smokey to Zoly

Premium Member

to Zoly

Re: I don't want SMS too!

Are you sure that you are getting charged for SMS's from t-mobile, as in company business texts? My bill shows that all the texts from t-mobile are free so you may want to check in to that with customer service.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale

Re: T-Mobile

said by Tzale:

I don't even use text messages.

I think people should stop purchasing services without reading the terms first... Purchase a service, sign a contract and not know the companies policies?
So in the TM contract is states that you cannot opt out of text message and any messages received, no matter the reason, will be charged? I think people should _think_ before they post crap they know nothing about.

Again, the suit is that TM won't allow customers to stop the receipt of text messages and TM then charges for them. It's extortion.

CurGeorge8
join:2005-05-02
South Park, PA

CurGeorge8 to tommy13v

to tommy13v

Re: About time

Yes but .... Big red will block your text useage. The problem with t mob is they don't even give users the option.
SilverSurfer1
join:2007-08-19

1 edit

SilverSurfer1 to Tzale

to Tzale

said by Tzale:

-Tzale
You're right about entering into a contract without first reading the terms, but stupidity notwithstanding, the fact that the customer then specifically called in to specifically ask T-Mobile to disable texting on his phone should be a no brainer. Since when can't features be disabled? I smell a class action lawsuit that will smack T-Mobile way down if it doesn't wise up soon.

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
Wild West

Smokey to Jovi

Premium Member

to Jovi

Re: Wow

I see what they are saying, as when I needed to update my phone's software they sent it as a text. I think that future phones shouldn't need that function as they allow updates via the data link or even 3g. I'm sure that if t-mobile really wanted to do so, they could come up with a solution to keep unwanted texts from showing up and still allowing system texts to get through.

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

Jovi

Premium Member

I suggested blocking data from every source that wasn't from T-mobile, or tunneling like a vpn. They said it wasn't possible. I said "BS".
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

another solution

would be just to give people free unlimited incoming texts... that's what my provider (U.S. Cellular) does...
Tallion
join:2002-09-04
Minneapolis, MN

Tallion

Texts Get T-Mobile Into Trouble

I just started receiving spam texts form mobile aol that was hacked. t-mobile csr tells me he can block those no problem and then he tells me to go to the communications tools on the web site and add a filter that by entering any number i can block them out.

Of course i try it and it doesn't work, which they tell me on the next call. Called last week to have all charges removed. they would only do the spam texts until i asked for a supervisor. then it was a courtesy credit for all of them.

I don't even think they had texting when i first signed up with them.

Do any other companies do this also?

I was told at one time that if i sent 1000 messages to a friend, that yes indeed he would have a $150 bill. (and i did record it)
Expand your moderator at work

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to SilverSurfer1

Premium Member

to SilverSurfer1

said by SilverSurfer1:
said by Tzale:

-Tzale
You're right about entering into a contract without first reading the terms, but stupidity notwithstanding, the fact that the customer then specifically called in to specifically ask T-Mobile to disable texting on his phone should be a no brainer. Since when can't features be disabled? I smell a class action lawsuit that will smack T-Mobile way down if it doesn't wise up soon.
No one forced them to signup for service with T-Mobile in the first place. They should have found out if it was possible at first... We need less government and lawsuits in this world.. Not more. Stupidity should not be rewarded.

-Tzale

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
Wild West

Smokey to Jovi

Premium Member

to Jovi

Its cost prohibitive, to coin a phrase I have come to know well in government service. They could do it, but dont like the costs involved, both from a technical level and a profit level. They do make a nice penny from those unwanted texts when it only costs a faction of a cent to send, and .25 to receive.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to tommy13v

Premium Member

to tommy13v

Re: About time

said by tommy13v:

I had a problem with Verizon with this crap and its about time something is done. I know a few people with T-mobile and have had this issue.
I had text messaging turned off on my Verizon plan. It was easy to do and cost me nothing. Go here:
»text.vzw.com/customer_si ··· g_lo.jsp

and select preferences. You can turn of text msging there.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Smokey

to Smokey

said by Smokey:

I see what they are saying, as when I needed to update my phone's software they sent it as a text. I think that future phones shouldn't need that function as they allow updates via the data link or even 3g. I'm sure that if t-mobile really wanted to do so, they could come up with a solution to keep unwanted texts from showing up and still allowing system texts to get through.
I fail to see ANY linkage between Updates (and Ring Tones?) being sent as text and an inability to turn off/block incoming text messages. For me to receive a text message it must be delivered to (or created on) T-Mobile's network. Once it is on their network and ready for delivery to my handset, just check if my number is set for "No Texting" [and if so, abort the delivery attempt) and that ends the problem.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

quote:
You should have asked T-Mobile prior to signing the contract. End of story
Normally I would agree with you, but in this case T-mobile is effectively forcing users to pay for incoming text messages without the ability to shut them off. If that person's cell phone nunber gets in the hands of a spammer it could get expensive. Regardless of contracts, there are certain ethical standards that companies should stand up to. Turning off texting is an option with most cariers, and T-mobile should be offering the same.
djrobx

djrobx to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
quote:
We need less government and lawsuits in this world.. Not more. Stupidity should not be rewarded
True, but it shouldn't require a lawsuit to get T-mobile to do the right thing.
djrobx

djrobx to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL

I was wondering the same thing. Cingular/ATT is also running a GSM network and they seem to be perfectly capable of controlling what goes to the handsets.

JasonD
@comcast.net

JasonD

Anon

Who cares.......

Non-plan texts are a gold mine for the providers. They should just refund the small percentage that complain, and they'll likely come out way ahead.

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope

It's a feature....

MPScan
Premium Member
join:2001-08-24
Boston, MA

MPScan

Premium Member

Duh

Of course T-Mobile doesn't want to give users the ability to limit incoming SMS messages, especially given this recent news story here:

»The True Bandwidth Cost Of SMS [80] comments

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to djrobx

to djrobx

Uhm. Ok if you don't like the policy then don't buy their service. It's not like they are the only cell phone provider out there.

jt66
@comcast.net

jt66 to Tzale

Anon

to Tzale
i agree with you people should read the contract before signing up. but tm should update it program to allow people to turn that service on and off.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

1 recommendation

PolarBear03

Premium Member

It should be fraud

Other people not on your account should NOT be able to run you up a bill. That should be considered fraud. It's impossible with any other service, why is it possible with SMS?

You can choose to ignore a call and not be charged minutes, so why can't you choose to ignore a text so you aren't charged for it?

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

1 edit

Dogfather

Premium Member

How this spam is "free speech" is baffling

These text messages like fax spam COST the recipient money and one would think that the rights of those people not to have to pay to receive the free speech would trump any right of a spam whore to spout their commercial BS.

This commercial speech shouldn't be protected and it should be illegal. Hell, if I had my way, sending text, email and fax spam would be a Capital crime.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Great

How do I sign up? I called them up three times already asking them if they could block test messages and they said there is nothing they can do.

evilghost
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Springville, AL

2 edits

1 recommendation

evilghost

Premium Member

More information

As a T-Mobile customer I too requested to have SMS removed due to an influx of spam and recycling of my current number about 5 months ago. I was told that they cannot do this due to the necessity to allow the phone to receive SMS messages from T-Mobile (billing alerts, etc).

However, I have virtually eliminated all incoming SMS spam (except for the occasional person sending me a real human entered message from an old address book) using T-Mobile's anti-spam tools and changing my phones email address. It's worked great for the past 5 months.

Here's how you do it.

1) Sign in to My T-Mobile via »my.t-mobile.com/login/?
2) Click the Communication Tools menu item.
3) Click Change my phones email address in the bubble-menu on the right.
4) Change your address to something obscure, not mobilephonenumber@tmomail.net. For example, I use UNDISCLOSED_NULL_UNDISCLOSED_XXXX@tmomail.net where XXXX was the last four of my mobile phone number.
5) Update your settings to commit the changes.
6) Click Create e-mail filters in the bubble-menu on the right.
7) Select the Yes radio button for Block all messages from E-Mail to handset.
8) Select the No radio button for Allow messages ONLY to "My Phone's E-Mail address".
9) Update your settings to commit the changes.

That's it. You should see a dramatic reduction and possible cessation in SMS spam.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next