dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-02-22 10:08:39: Blowing past other recent advancements in high-speed, short range wireless technologies, Researchers in Melbourne, Australia are working on a $10 chip that can transmit data at 5Gbps over ten meters. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

Cool!

Where does this thing get it's power from though? Otherwise, this would be a very nice enhancement for stuff if it can transmit through walls well as well. And $10 for a chip like this? That's cheap!

rob_in_chatt
Premium Member
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN

rob_in_chatt

Premium Member

small chip

that looks like the one that will be inserted in everyone as they are born in about 25 years or so............

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612

Re: Cool!

said by Smith6612:

Where does this thing get it's power from though? Otherwise, this would be a very nice enhancement for stuff if it can transmit through walls well as well. And $10 for a chip like this? That's cheap!
I imagine it would use a thin film battery.

The range of this device is very limited... which is actually a good thing for the type of applications it might be used for.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

3 edits

Mizzat to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

This is really cool, but it costs about $10 to manufacture. They have to recoup costs for research and overhead, so it'll cost much more than that when it comes to market, but if it becomes widespread, the costs will go down dramatically. I like in the article how it mentions a video kiosk can upload a movie in seconds then you can download a movie in seconds when you get home. Even though we are moving to a home delivery via broadband, that would still be a meat idea for many applications.
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT

Yawn ...

So how is this different than what SiBeam or any of the other 60 GHz companies are doing?

Melbourne University issues yet another press release, the Aussie press picks it up due to national pride, and everybody gets excited.

greendragon
Premium Member
join:2003-09-20
Stewartville, MN

greendragon to rob_in_chatt

Premium Member

to rob_in_chatt

Re: small chip

Here you go, I think you dropped this tinfoil hat back there...

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

1 recommendation

Dogfather

Premium Member

Huh

And you would need an HD film on a phone because?

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

hopeflicker to PDXPLT

Premium Member

to PDXPLT

Re: Yawn ...

$125 after all is said and done
plus a 5yr contract at $200month
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to rob_in_chatt

to rob_in_chatt

Nah, that one is a lot smaller and shaped like a pin, but smaller. Spying on people will take less throughput than a movie requires.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather

Re: Huh

said by Dogfather:

because teh sheeple will buy it, that's because.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

4 edits

1 recommendation

Transmaster

ARRRGH! you said Transfer

Binars raiding a Video store.
This article mentions the two dirtiest words in the lexicon of the MPAA, and the RIAA; transfer, and content. They will soon have a joint press release stating pirates will use this chip to remotely suck the content from the video, and CD stores they visit.

greendragon
Premium Member
Stewartville, MN

1 recommendation

greendragon to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather

said by Dogfather:

Because pretty soon you'll be able to use a laser projector that is built in your phone to project a much bigger picture than any built in screen.

»popsci.typepad.com/popsc ··· pre.html

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612

Re: Cool!

said by Smith6612:

Its range is 10 meters or less(about 11 yards or 33 feet). Great for devices in an entertainment center talking to each other or as a replacement for bluetooth between PCs, cell phones, MP3 players, etc.

For moving data around a house, this isn't the technology.
FFH5

FFH5 to PDXPLT

Premium Member

to PDXPLT

said by PDXPLT:

So how is this different than what SiBeam or any of the other 60 GHz companies are doing?

Melbourne University issues yet another press release, the Aussie press picks it up due to national pride, and everybody gets excited.
Isn't Melbourne University the same group that is involved in holding up the 802.11n standard over a patent dispute?

802.11n holdup by Csiro
»www.computerworld.com.au ··· 69830231
Melbourne Univ & Csiro tie-ins
»www.research.unimelb.edu ··· b/csiro/

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

1 edit

RadioDoc

Clarification

"Two watts of power over ten meters" implies the device transmits two watts of power. This is incorrect. It uses two watts of power and transmits over 10 meters. That's 2000 mAH and would be a huge drain in devices like cell phones.

These components will enable things like thumb drives to transfer data without being physically connected to the source or destination, which is an interesting application. It's also after the "wireless" (literally) home theater installation where everything is connected via short-haul radio signals. Mostly, it's a replacement in Bluetooth-type applications.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

new name

the killer app is to transfer video from device to device (probably hi-def) so, how about a new name:

gigatooth
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to hopeflicker

to hopeflicker

Off topic but I like your tag line.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to RadioDoc

Premium Member

to RadioDoc

Re: Clarification

said by RadioDoc:

It uses two watts of power and transmits over 10 meters. That's 2000 mAH and would be a huge drain in devices like cell phones.
How did you get to the 2000mAh value??? Fuzzy math???
Energy=Watts*Time=Volts*Amps*Time

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

lazy? or worthless?

"to quickly allow users to transfer HD films or other massive content between cellphone and PC. "

Too bad it will only be useful in a new generation of suitcase phones, to have enough battery and 50 gig's of flash memory.

( is putting a DVD in that hard?)

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather to greendragon

Premium Member

to greendragon

That's not an HD projector, it's barely EDTV at 848x400.

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

1 edit

RadioDoc to cowboyro

to cowboyro

said by cowboyro:
said by RadioDoc:

It uses two watts of power and transmits over 10 meters. That's 2000 mAH and would be a huge drain in devices like cell phones.
How did you get to the 2000mAh value??? Fuzzy math???
Energy=Watts*Time=Volts*Amps*Time
Let's see now...most of these devices run at 1-3 volts and two watts would require 2000 mAh at one volt for one hour. If you wish, we can assume three volts and a little less than 700 milliamp-hours. Either way it's a huge power drain in a battery-operated device, which is usually expected to run far longer than an hour on charge.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez to RadioDoc

to RadioDoc
said by RadioDoc:

"Two watts of power over ten meters" implies the device transmits two watts of power. This is incorrect. It uses two watts of power and transmits over 10 meters. That's 2000 mAH and would be a huge drain in devices like cell phones.

These components will enable things like thumb drives to transfer data without being physically connected to the source or destination, which is an interesting application. It's also after the "wireless" (literally) home theater installation where everything is connected via short-haul radio signals. Mostly, it's a replacement in Bluetooth-type applications.
I was thinking the same thing. This device will absolutely kill the battery of any cell phone its used in. Running AIM on your Blackberry alone will cut your battery life in half, I can only imagine what this chip would do! Still not a bad idea, but probably meant more for home appliances and PC's that have robust batteries or power supplies.

greendragon
Premium Member
Stewartville, MN

greendragon to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather

Not yet, but give it time and I bet they will refine the technology.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

PolarBear03 to greendragon

Premium Member

to greendragon

said by greendragon:

Here you go, I think you dropped this tinfoil hat back there...
No, he just forgot that Bush's term is almost up.
PolarBear03

PolarBear03 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

I knew we couldn't trust those Aussies - er, I mean, hey Justin, how ya doin, buddy?!?

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez

It's a great technology for avoiding connecting cables between AC-Powered devices or those which only see occasional use like thumb drive-type portable storage, but putting this in a cell phone as the linked article suggests is absurd.
jay_rm
join:2002-04-12
Netville

jay_rm

said by RadioDoc:

It's a great technology for avoiding connecting cables between AC-Powered devices or those which only see occasional use like thumb drive-type portable storage, but putting this in a cell phone as the linked article suggests is absurd.
Plus, at 60 GHz, I don't think it'll play well with solid objects.

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

It plays just fine. Ping pong.
ShadezeRO
join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

ShadezeRO

Hmm

I can see many MP3 players, and phones in the future using this chip.

Would be a great way to connect my MP3 player to the PC. Would be faster than USB as well.

DHRacer
Tech Monkey
join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA

DHRacer

Picture misleading

I looked at the picture before looking at the title of this thread and wondered why there was a discussion of what looked like a booger.

Other than that, it's cool tech. Whether it can be used for its intended purposes without drawing a lawsuit from the mafIAA is something to be seen.
page: 1 · 2 · next