spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-02-27 14:05:31: While Comcast has been very chatty in general about their DOCSIS 3. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

INT0CABLE
BANNED
Premium
join:2007-10-22
Bronx, NY

wow

wow

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

Re: wow

Nothing but

CAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPS
--
Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 recommendation

What's the point of having 50/50Mbps when you're throttled/capped ?
--
Canada = Hollywood North

ih8aol

@comcast.net

-1 recommendation

I agree with you entirely! We jusrt got switched from Insight to Comcast; very unhappy... Comcast trottles the speed at less than half of what I used to get. If Verizon FIOS came to town, I would switch in a heartbeat.

FreedomBuild
Well done is better than well said
Premium
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL

You Noticed a 30-50% average drop in speed too
--
Browse Alot - Sign In Little - Post Even Less
syrkel2

join:2003-12-02
Galesburg, IL
yeah I agree. I just switched form insight to comcast in Illinois here and insight was she shiznit. I cant remember the last time that insight internet went down. and it was so fast too.
mogulero0

join:2005-04-21
Lakeville, MA
Verizon has a great product, for now. But their customer service sucks out loud. I have fios 20 over 5. I have Comcast phone service. I have tv with Comcast because fios tv is not available in our town as the town & Verizon cannot agree on a contract. When I try to contact Verizon about my fios service their voice queue keeps asking for my telephone number. In my opinion, Verizon maintains a culture of arrogance as AT&T did of yore.

Comcast sucks too but less.

So I am a whore for the fastest product, which, at the present time, is Fios. But when 50 over 50 comes down the pike I will be on it in a heartbeat.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by en102:

The caps will change upward as the infrastructure is improved. The current word is they tossed users that were well north of 100 GBs/month. So when the infrastructure is enhanced double, triple, etc, the caps will be too.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
Long Beach, CA

said by FFH5:

said by en102:

The caps will change upward as the infrastructure is improved. The current word is they tossed users that were well north of 100 GBs/month. So when the infrastructure is enhanced double, triple, etc, the caps will be too.
Highly unlikely. They will keep the caps intact to force users to pay more if they go over their invisible limit. Isn't that what big business' want? capitalize on everything?
--
Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent.

TheSaint

join:2002-01-25
Hanover Park, IL

I agree. The caps will stay in place otherwise they'll cannibalize off their business accounts.

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA
You bet..have to make money where possible, and have your cake + eat it too.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

said by en102:

You bet..have to make money where possible, and have your cake + eat it too.
You and the previous 2 posters are wrong. The caps will rise. You can bet on it.
--

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA

I don't disagree that caps will rise... however, I do suspect that the caps/filtering will be such that Comcast will still throttle or cap you for what they deem excessive, and not what _is_ excessive.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by en102:

I don't disagree that caps will rise... however, I do suspect that the caps/filtering will be such that Comcast will still throttle or cap you for what they deem excessive
I agree with that. There will always be those who see it as a challenge to eat up every last bite of bandwidth whether they will ever watch anything that they actually download. And for people like that caps are necessary.
--

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA

True: Malicious traffic (open relays, hosting newsgroups, botnets, etc. ) and general hackers can be dealt with.

However, if I decide to stream HD video, lets say 8 hours / day, I should not be deemed and excessive user. For reasons like this, I'm still on DSL. No CAPS, no filters (smtp is currently filtered, but can be removed by request), and very little jitter.

In fact, DSL-Extreme doesn't care if I run servers off my connection.
--
Canada = Hollywood North
cornelius785

join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA

'excessive' bandwidth usage should be based on past history and current network load. it should not depend on what the data being transmitted is (game server data, p2p, youtube, etc.), only that it is data. i'd probably consider you an excessive bandwidth user for those 8 hours, assuming it is fairly often and network load is high. i'd have no problem limiting your connection during peak network usage (say ~90% utilization of network capacity) to allow for others that may need to do just sporadic downloading for small files.

in the end, it is not fair to those that don't do huge amounts of downloading or uploading all the time be penalized with a slower connection, packet dropping, or unstable pings because a few that saturate their connection all the time. ideally, caps should do this, but in reality probably not so much.

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA

Well, lets say that there's a new company out there, pushing HD IPTV . All I need is an Internet connection. Now should my TV service over the Internet be capped because I don't want to pay for Comcast TV service ?
I've downloaded a few Linux DVD ISO images, on DSL, and have never had any issues (we're talking many GB here). If I'm paying for a 6Mbps line, I should be able to use it.

The cable model is based on high speed bursts, not sustained high end downloads / uploads due to the shared nature. They shouldn't oversell a node. Comcast even described this in their FCC statement yesterday. What sort of sucks is that its on a node by node basis where the issue occurs. You could be on a node with no traffic and consume almost as much as possible, while being on a node with a few high consumption neighbors, your status would degrade.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

CColon

join:2008-04-20
Philadelphia, PA

You fail to realize that along with the faster and bigger bus uplinks they are deploying from Nortel DOCSIS 3.0 allows them to bond frequencies to allow for the rise of caps. In 4 years of working for comcast in NJ, DE, and PA I have seen one customer get "the call" for excessive use, and he was later prosecuted for software pirating.
reelbigfish

join:2002-06-06
Boston, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

The reason for the caps is that bandwidth is currently limited and they are trying to preserve good performance for the majority of their users. Once the bottle neck is gone, the caps will rise in step with that. Comcast is out to make money, but when they no longer have a reason to have such low caps, they will go up.

And just because someone says something good about a company doesn't mean they are a shill.

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA

1 edit

I don't have any real issues with CAPS/throttling, as long as

A) I know the actual limit of MY usage before being capped/throttled.
B) My consumption limit isn't based on a neighborhood usage., but my usage.
C) All the cards are on the table BEFORE I sign up for service.

I've been thinking about migrating to Cable (TW here) for a package deal, or even AT&T, however, I use this line for business, and I don't want some corp. bean counter deciding for me that I can't run certain apps, or that I can't use a specific amount of bandwidth per month, or specific time of day.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

Any tangible evidence ???

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL
I CHALLENGE your assertion. If right now, they 'kick' someone for over 200GB of usage on a 6/768 connection, and now they offer 50/50 connections, do you really thing they won't bounce you until you hit 1.8TB of data? I mean, if they increased the caps as much as they increased the speeds, I sure as hell wouldn't bother to buy the higher speed, I'd stick with my 6/768 connection an use 1.5TB per month safely. Caps, and they DO exist, will most certainly NOT go up.
--
The happiest countries are the most secular. The struggle AGAINST corporations is the struggle FOR humanity!

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid

join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ

3 recommendations

Are you people from the Barack Obama School of Technology? If we hope long enough, increased bandwidth will just appear? The money they make is what will enable them to make the investments needed to offer the faster speeds....

The level of intellectual disconnect displayed by forum posters is stunning...

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA

Who says I need any more bandwidth ? I just don't need what I have capped/filtered/throttled
--
Canada = Hollywood North

BabyBear
Keep wise ...with Nite-Owl

join:2007-01-11

said by en102:

Who says I need any more bandwidth ? I just don't need what I have capped/filtered/throttled
Or passed on to any agency for "snoopage" purposes, including but not limited to NSA, CIA, RIAA, MPAA, FBI, AAA, DHS, FEMA, EU, ABC, 123, Do, Ra, Me.

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA

That's why I'm not on AT&T... but DSL-Extreme
--
Canada = Hollywood North

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit

Who installed the switches and maintaines them for DSL Extreme? And where are they located?
Who's network does it go through?

Im kind of in the same situation, my packets go through ATT network and they could look if they wanted. I have no doubt about that.
--
Vista ~ Less functional every day!

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA

True - everything goes through AT&T CO.
--
Canada = Hollywood North
dlewis23

join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL
I do..... And so does any other web 2.0 developer.

We are tried of having to compress and lower the quality of our stuff so people with slow connections don't have to wait 10 minutes for the web app to load.

Once this, or even 10mbps starts to become the norm, you are going too see a exposition in the quality of the way websites look.

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA

Agreed.. here's the 'issue'

A) DSL = lower bit rate, but typically you will hit your max w/o issue (eg. ADSL 6-7Mbps, VDSL at 10Mbps). Typically a better QoS on DSL, IMO.
B) Cable 6-25Mbps, slow downs during peak usage, but for bursty transmissions, and less distance limitations, Cable works well.

Think of DSL as token ring, and Cable as ethernet with a hub (not switch).

Unless I'm mistaken HD uncompressed is 19.2Mbps, and unless there's a queuing mechanism, I don't think you'll be having decently streamed HD over the internet for a while w/o buffering
--
Canada = Hollywood North
Expand your moderator at work
otis_sh

join:2007-05-04
Ann Arbor, MI

1 recommendation

The caps are one thing, but them getting it wrong is another.

If you can't log into your account with them and see what you've transfered, you've got very little in the way of defending yourself when they get it wrong (and they do get it wrong sometimes).

Sure, who doesn't want that speed, and caps are even dealable with, but the secrecy and how they do things sort of puts a whole damper on that.

The problem is the corporate culture, the business practices, the secrecy, the arrogance. That's the problem. Fix that, the caps aren't really as big a deal anymore.

jt55

@comcast.net
he didn't say they would get ride of teh cap. they will just increase the cap some. everytime they increase there speed they have increase there cap a little but it is alway there.

Mr Anonymous

@comcast.net
What's the point of claiming they are going to provide (insert speed here) when they refuse to upgrade the cable system they own in your area so you can even have broadband?
ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
Your transfers happen faster. Not everyone needs faster speeds for the purpose of downloading a greater quantity. And considering what the majority of people who oppose caps use their connections for, they don't deserve it anyway.

viggent5

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

are you guys retarded, i pay comcast for a 16mbps connection, and i consitently get 14-15, maybe you should clean out your computers instead of complaining like little girls

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
Long Beach, CA

said by viggent5 :

are you guys retarded, i pay comcast for a 16mbps connection, and i consitently get 14-15, maybe you should clean out your computers instead of complaining like little girls
So you are one of the lucky ones. Are you saying that everyone that has speed issues has infected computers? pffttt!
--
Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people.

chakey
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Gladstone, NJ

Nice

It's nice to see someone else besides Verizon stepping up and moving to the next generation of infrastructure (cough, cough--QUEST).

•••

BS

@rr.com

pul leeze

cable wont be able to keep up the demand...
majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY

How is this possibe with no upstream bonding modems?

Does any company actually have upstream bonding capable modems yet? The ones motorola released only are downstream bonding capable.

•••••••••••••••
ANWDREW0

join:2004-01-21
Sterling, VA

If by some chance it rivals FIOS

I would maybe give Comcast $ if they work out the
issues in sterling VA DOCSIS 2.0.

proefain
Premium
join:2000-05-08
Crofton, MD

To Half Their Users

And the other half where there is no competition will see what speed?

•••

MarkyD
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

cool and all...

but they severely limit how you can use that upstream bandwidth. no bit torrent seeding. Monthly consumption caps. I'll pass.
--
MCSE, ACSA, and a lot more

••••

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4

1 edit

Drool......

I just got 20/2 last week with my provider (rcn) and totally love it. 50/50 would just be sweet! I can only wonder what they will charge for that speed! But, what good is 50 on the upload if you can't use it with bittorrent? (that whole sandvine/comcast issue) I don't think my webhosting provider would even let me upload files at that speed! Other than sending files to other comcast 50/50 users, what server has the capability of accepting 50 meg uploads?

But, i could be waay off here and most could. I don't know.
Either way, it would be a nice package.
--
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
blips

join:2001-04-17
Addison, IL

Re: Drool......

said by djdanska:

But, what good is 50 on the upload if you can't use it with bittorrent?
I would like to connect to my computer at home from work or on vacation with VNC without feeling like I'm on dial up. Also, application like offsite back ups would hugely benefit from the higher upload.

Comcastrated

@DNVR.QWEST.NET

Re: Drool......

Off site backup would be cool. Unfortunately Comcast sends RST packets on non bittorrent traffic too. At least in my testing with wireshark. So, If the backup application is not specifically identified by sandmine (sandvine) or the backup application has been specifically re-written to handle it, it won't work on comcast.
itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

Too late

Just signed up for FIOS - will be installed next Sat. And I can say a big F-U to Comcast...

Hehe

@ssa.gov

Would be useful if I could run a web server

Would be useful if I could run web, email and DNS servers.
But the TOS says I can't.

•••

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

oh..

Comcast can barely provision the speeds they are offering now, using strong-arm and illegal means to limit current BW use..
what makes them think that they can offer 50/50 on their current, very overloaded, backbone / peering agreement network?

50/50 @ 20GB a month is useless.

Kfedka
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Spokane, WA

What about 16/2

Why brag about 50/50 when you can't even get 16/2 to the whole network!

•••••

Xela19115

join:2000-10-06
Richboro, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hmmm....

I'll believe when I'll see it. And how will that tier cost? Knowing the Comcast record on delivering anything on time I would not be holding my breath for 50/50 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 by 2010 from them. Chances are that by the time Comcast delivers 50/50 sometime by 2015, Verizon will be providing 100/100 or more for $30/month. In the past 3 years Comcast hasn't delivered a single big item product. They still have not deployed DOCSIS 2.0, Switched Digital Video (SDV), a decent modern TV guide, OCAP, Multistream CableCard, DSG and a lousy selection of HD channels to name a few.

With bandwidth throttling and other questionable practices I would not be surprised if by 2010-2015 they wouldn't have the customer base to sell that 50/50 tier.
--
---------
xela19115

•••

fancydancer
Perception is reality
Premium
join:2002-08-28
Springfield, IL

50 on the d/l

How often do you think you could utilize that much download? The target end would have to have that much bandwidth for regular joe cable user to take advantage of it...
--
Thank you for keeping this a work-free environment!

•••••••

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Comcast: 50/50Mbps To Half Their Users by 3010?

There. That should be the actual title of the story. Subject ^^

fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..

Re: Comcast: 50/50Mbps To Half Their Users by 3010?

said by loli:

There. That should be the actual title of the story. Subject ^^
No, no. Here is the real story headline:

Verizon takes over Comcast and now offers 50/50Mbps To Half Their Users by 2010.
--
The only place where Success comes before Work is in the dictionary.
KraziJoe

join:2006-09-08
Limington, ME

Wow...

The Slowski's are going to be pissed.

bluvsbjy

@ar.us

People stop complianing

I've been reading this forum for years now and I just read a lot of knuckle head complaints from a bunch of people who know absolutley nothing about bandwidth and how to get or test it. I've had Comcast HSI ever since it's inception and NOT ONCE have I had a problem with bandwidth, availability or customer service. I wish you complainer's would learn a little something about the technology before you bash it. I am a network and systems administrator for the U.S. Army and from my 19 years of experience 9 times out of 10, the problem customers are having are their own ignorance not the network. EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!!!!

••••

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

Y'all can pass on it!

I'll take some of that!
50/50?
In an area that will never see any other provider than AT&T?

Damn Right!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

••••

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

20% huh...

I wonder if that 20% will be much comprised of there Adelphia acquisitions? Adelphia had DOCSIS 2 in place in many markets, and was ready for DOCSIS 3 with a simple software upgrade. Should be pretty easy to reach 20% by the end of the year if this is the case.
--
BlockNews.Net

••••

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD

Great news for FIOS....

Since Comcast is a direct Competitor here and FIOS right now is being developed on GPON in my area... This is good news since FIOS will compete with 100/100 when Comcast does this.

--
!= null