dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-02-29 09:37:09: Last Summer, Comcast started charging customers in many markets an additional $1.99 fee if they wanted to pay their bill at the local Comcast office. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
redhatnation
Premium Member
join:2005-06-02
Woodbridge, VA

redhatnation

Premium Member

Too funny

That can't be right. Not even Comcast would stoop so low.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

Wow...

...just...

wow....

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

2 edits

DaveDude

comcast wonders why people hate them ?

This is just another reason people cant stand comcast, Talk about bad PR.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski

Premium Member

This just in...

It's just a placeholder in your bill under the real fee shows up.

kalphearion
In nomine Patri
Premium Member
join:2003-11-08
Broomfield, CO

kalphearion

Premium Member

Whaaaaa

Go dig in your couch for it, I bet you come out with more than two dollars.

All Comcast is doing is charging a convenience fee. Most all companies do it, and if you owned a company where you had to spend more money on wasted man hours because people refused to mail a check or pay online, you would charge fees also.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

How does that have anything to do with asking to not have random crap sent with your bill?

Dezbend
MVM
join:2001-04-20

Dezbend to kalphearion

MVM

to kalphearion
Maybe it is a waste of company resources - but it is a cost of doing business (companies doing direct marketing are required to have an opt-out method). The cost should be absorbed in the revenue generated by the direct marketing, not as a deterrent to opting out.
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

Rick5

Premium Member

Whew..

Talk about a slow news day here at bbr.

A 1.99 change of service fee (which it seems to me would apply to exactly that..a change of service no matter what it is)
now makes BBR headlines.

And..one that "The rep removed the fee from my bill." anyway.

Folks...get USED to it. No matter who the provider...they ALL nickel and dime us to death on these kinds of things and anything involving HUMANS these days doing something costs these companies big money..and they pass it along.

Welcome..to business 101.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Since when....

I am sure we all know by now that the Comcast reps are not too bright. That being said, how does one person saying that mean that it is true? I also believe Comcast wouldn't stoop that low, and I don't believe one person working at Comcast saying this doesn't mean it is true. I think the Consumerist would be best off investigating the issue further instead of posting what one moronic rep says and taking it as 100% truth.

kalphearion
In nomine Patri
Premium Member
Broomfield, CO

kalphearion to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski

Re: Whaaaaa

My post was leaning more towards the side of fee's Comcast charges in general. As far as being charged 1.99 to not have Comcast "junk" mail sent to you, I can guess it is the fact that they have to process it through their system.

Either way, why bitch and moan about two dollars?

They ONLY problem I see here is that Comcast didn't say anything about it, and that is not right. They should be explaining these fees at the time of the call.

wruckman
Ruckman.net
join:2007-10-25
Northwood, OH

wruckman

Comcastic

The land of the Free, not the land of the Fee. That's just Comcasic!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to kalphearion

Premium Member

to kalphearion

Simple. I expect to get a bill, not a bill and tons of other crap that get's stuffed into the envelope. I should also not be charged ANY amount to not have all the other junk that is in there, no matter if it is $.02 or $2.00.

Why should I have to pay to not receive junk mail?
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco

Premium Member

They rep removed the fee from my bill.

Shamayim
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23

1 recommendation

Shamayim

Premium Member

Error?

We've fired off an inquiry to Comcast to see if this is standard practice or a billing error.

It's not an error; it's a billing feature
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to DaveDude

to DaveDude

Re: comcast wonders why people hate them ?

said by DaveDude:

This is just another reason people cant stand comcast, Talk about bad PR.
Yep, and another reason to not even consider ordering their service.

just__
@verizon.net

just__

Anon

imagine__if

just imagine if they did this to the "Mrs. Baseball bat" lady..

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to kalphearion

Premium Member

to kalphearion

A "convenience" I surely wouldn't want, especially to pay for it!!

kalphearion
In nomine Patri
Premium Member
Broomfield, CO

kalphearion to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Removing flyer's from the bill envelope is not standard, so you have to pay to get that. Seems fair to me.

I have a very simple fix for all of this. Go paperless. Doesn't cost you a dime and you don't have to worry about junk flyer's with your bill.

bbrkdub
join:2001-10-03
San Antonio, TX

1 edit

bbrkdub to kalphearion

to kalphearion
said by kalphearion:

My post was leaning more towards the side of fee's Comcast charges in general. As far as being charged 1.99 to not have Comcast "junk" mail sent to you, I can guess it is the fact that they have to process it through their system.
This sets up a very bad situation for customers. So we now have to pay to *stop* receiving unsolicited mail, the mail they're allowed to send for free *and* write off for taxes. That doesn't seem fair at all.

If that does seem fair to you, then why not allow spammers to do the same?
said by kalphearion:

I don't think they're complaining about the cost (but there is the phrase "nickel and dime you to death"), but it's the principle. That being said, I know I would "bitch" about it if I see it on my Comcast bill.
said by kalphearion:

They ONLY problem I see here is that Comcast didn't say anything about it, and that is not right. They should be explaining these fees at the time of the call.
That's not the only problem I see with this, but I agree, and they can at least do that.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

quetwo to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
This is not about the adverts stuffed in your bill. This is about the 2x weekly Comcast mailers advertising for phone or internet service. Postcards, mostly.
dualsub2006
join:2007-07-18
Newport, KY

dualsub2006 to caco

to caco

Re: They rep removed the fee from my bill.

What's your point? So this person paid attention to their bill, noticed the fee and called to complain. How many people will pay it without looking at it and get fleeced out of that $2?

I am thankful to still be with Insight instead of handed over to Comcast. If their business is so bad that they have to charge extra fees for customer care and support that they should have already accounted for in your monthly programming charges I can only imagine where they will go next to "find" new revenue.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski

It's not even that.

It's asking them to stop sending junk mail, not stuffers in the regular bill.

I'm sick of getting junk mail from Comcast too, but soon enough I'll be dropping their overpriced service for DirecTV or Fios.

I'm even considering go without all together, or at least dropping back to basic cable until Fios TV comes through.

All I really watch is FNC, CNN, CNNH, TDC, and the Hitler channel anyway.

Oh, and the weather channel. Those weather babes are hot....

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to gaforces

to gaforces

Re: comcast wonders why people hate them ?

Queue the "But it's our only choice, whan whan whan..."

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

1 edit

DaveDude to Rick5

to Rick5

Re: Whew..

/
DaveDude

DaveDude to Rick5

to Rick5
they nickel and dime, and annoys us, and we go to Fios. Condescension ?
whiteyonenh
join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

whiteyonenh

And the point is...

Everyone charges a change of service fee for changes on an account, especially the major cable companies. I got a charge from Time Warner for upgrading my service from Roadrunner Standard to Turbo. While I can understand the issue with the fee in this instance, it is still wasting time of a CS rep and still has to be processed through the system and still shows as an account change. While it may have been something that should be coded in as to not charge, I don't see how this is any different than any other major company. While I detest Comcast in general and don't recommend it to many people, any other cable company that I know of will do this.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to redhatnation

Premium Member

to redhatnation

Re: Too funny

said by redhatnation:

That can't be right. Not even Comcast would stoop so low.
And who says it is even true. Because it is in the Consumerist? - with no proof provided at all. No scan of the bill; no comment from Comcast, etc. It is truly pathetic what passes for journalism today.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to kalphearion

to kalphearion

said by kalphearion:

The obvious reply to that logic is "where does it stop?"
How many 'two dollar' charges does one endure before they bitch and moan?
Two bucks here, two bucks there; pretty soon we're talking money.

People are waking up to inflation and stagnant wages, and that's going to equate to luxuries (I love when the sword cuts both ways!) being cut. And that's when Comcast has their turn at "why bitch and moan about $$.$$" x the number of subs dropping services and service. PR problems will be the last of their worries.

I say to people who tell others to stop "bitching and moaning" to please purchase as much stock in these companies as you can afford. Use your savings if need be.
--

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to whiteyonenh

to whiteyonenh

Re: And the point is...

Please show me any other company who considers direct mail advertising (not just crap stuffed in bills) to be a 'service' the customer has contracted for? This is not the same as adding a channel tier or changing your HSI package.

If Comcast's billing systems are so antiquated that they cannot handle a simple junk mail opt-out request they need to spend a few less $million on PR fluff and more on back-end systems and personnel.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to quetwo

Premium Member

to quetwo

said by quetwo:

This is not about the adverts stuffed in your bill. This is about the 2x weekly Comcast mailers advertising for phone or internet service. Postcards, mostly.
Thanks for the information. Either way, I don't think I should have to pay $2.00 for them to stop mailing me things other than my bill.

I get a service, I pay for the service. If the service wants to send alot of other ancillary stuff, thats great but I should be able to say "no thanks" without being charged a dime.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next