spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-02-29 09:37:09: Last Summer, Comcast started charging customers in many markets an additional $1.99 fee if they wanted to pay their bill at the local Comcast office. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
redhatnation
Premium
join:2005-06-02
Woodbridge, VA

Too funny

That can't be right. Not even Comcast would stoop so low.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Re: Too funny

said by redhatnation:

And who says it is even true. Because it is in the Consumerist? - with no proof provided at all. No scan of the bill; no comment from Comcast, etc. It is truly pathetic what passes for journalism today.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
redhatnation
Premium
Woodbridge, VA

said by FFH5:

said by redhatnation:

And who says it is even true. Because it is in the Consumerist? - with no proof provided at all. No scan of the bill; no comment from Comcast, etc. It is truly pathetic what passes for journalism today.
It does sound like piling on. The other fees listed sound appropriate. People cost money.

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

said by redhatnation:

said by FFH5:

said by redhatnation:

It does sound like piling on. The other fees listed sound appropriate. People cost money.
People cost money???? This should be integrated into your business plan. Charging for live contact should be expected, not a luxery. For someone like me that works alot of hours, I don't have time to sit on an automated system. These systems are not only insulting, but they try to be everything to everybody, which makes them useful to noone.
When people give you rotten service, you sir deserve it. And the next time they do, remember "people cost money"!
redhatnation
Premium
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

said by S_engineer:

People cost money???? This should be integrated into your business plan. Charging for live contact should be expected, not a luxery. For someone like me that works alot of hours, I don't have time to sit on an automated system. These systems are not only insulting, but they try to be everything to everybody, which makes them useful to noone.
When people give you rotten service, you sir deserve it. And the next time they do, remember "people cost money"!
Wait a minute...You'd rather force everybody to pay for a contact method or method of payment because you are too lazy to use the many automated tools available to you?

Try a check, a stamp, and an envelope.

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by S_engineer:

People cost money???? This should be integrated into your business plan.
Then you'd complain about the rate increase that cite operational costs as a reason.

Charging for live contact should be expected, not a luxery. For someone like me that works alot of hours, I don't have time to sit on an automated system.
The quickest method for you would be to send it in the mail. Takes about a minute to write out a check, put a stamp on it, and drop it in your mailbox. Or would that still be a problem because you have to pay for the stamp? Actually, if you go for auto-pay, your precious time would never be used for paying the bill at all and is free to boot.

Futhermore, the live contact of which you speak is only chargeable when you take a live person out of the loop that could be taking sales calls or helping a customer that has a question, service issue, or concern. In other words, for a representative to do for you what you could do on your own, it costs time and money.

These systems are not only insulting, but they try to be everything to everybody, which makes them useful to noone.
You are one person. Thousands and thousands of people find it very useful. It would suffice to say that you do not speak for everyone. There are multiple ways of paying your bills out there and they cater to as many people as possible. It really does baffle the mind how people can have so many options, yet still complain. And unless you work 24/7 it is possible to set aside 3 minutes to push a few numbers on your phone's keypad for free.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1

Speaks for me. Comcast should pay me for sitting on their automated phone for an hour just to get someone to talk to.

Furthermore, your whole prospect is whack. You suggest that anything that cost Comcast money should be met with a direct fee to the customer? Thus, Comcast should do nothing but make pure profit.

There was a day when customer service is what got you customers. When you have a monopoly not only do you provide poor service, but you charge for it.

And you think this is cool!?
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
Anytime I call comcast and try to add things I am told how much the change will be and they even talk me out of it usually :0 Seems as a former Time Warner customer I am in a special price bracket .. so tying to add say, Starz HD would actually explode my package and increase by like $65
--
»www.memphispcguy.com

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN

1 edit
Double Post - grr
redhatnation
Premium
Woodbridge, VA

said by MemphisPCGuy:

Anytime I call comacast and try to add things I am told how much the change will be and they even talk me out of it usually :0 Seems as a former Time Warner customer I am in a special price bracket .. so tying to add say, Starz HD would actually explode my package and increase by like $65
For every good story, I'm sure someone will have a bad story. The nature of customer service. I once had to call back three times to get a rep who would listen and not try to bilk me for a bogus install charge.

That being said, the programming deal they provided is insane.

supergirl

join:2007-03-20
Pensacola, FL
said by redhatnation:

Cox charges $5 over the phone now. IDIOTS!
--
Saving the world keeps me busy. However, I find Earth very primitive from my home planet of Krypton.
-Supergirl

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Wow...

...just...

wow....

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

2 edits

comcast wonders why people hate them ?

This is just another reason people cant stand comcast, Talk about bad PR.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

Re: comcast wonders why people hate them ?

said by DaveDude:

Yep, and another reason to not even consider ordering their service.
--
Vista ~ Less functional every day!

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Queue the "But it's our only choice, whan whan whan..."

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

2 edits

But we know better, don't we? All ye have to do is use the tools here to find service if you think it's your only choice.
»/search
And OTA HDTV keeps getting more channels ...
--
Vista ~ Less functional every day!

trebzon

join:2001-09-03
Grandville, MI
said by gaforces:

said by DaveDude:

Yep, and another reason to not even consider ordering their service.
I understand but what is the alternative. Lets take my local market for instance.

1. Comcast - Expensive and see examples above - no
2. Dial-up - Get real. - no
3. Dish - Slow and expensive - no
4. at&t - Cheaper but a bit slower. Also as bad if not worse customer satisfaction. - yes by default.

The fact is there is only competition of sorts. You get competition by method not by real competition. I should be able to choose from multiple phone or cable companies. That is the only competition that will improve service.
ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
said by DaveDude:

I like them better for it. Charging clueless people for wasting paper by having bills mailed when everything can be done online? Sounds good to me.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ctggzg:

said by DaveDude:

I like them better for it. Charging clueless people for wasting paper by having bills mailed when everything can be done online? Sounds good to me.
Wait, isnt it comcast, who is putting useless paper inserts, not the customer. What if a customer doesnt have or want internet access ?
--
“Say no to fear. Don’t let anxiety crush your life. Live life free and unfettered.”

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT

1 recommendation

This just in...

It's just a placeholder in your bill under the real fee shows up.

kalphearion
In nomine Patri
Premium
join:2003-11-08
Broomfield, CO

Whaaaaa

Go dig in your couch for it, I bet you come out with more than two dollars.

All Comcast is doing is charging a convenience fee. Most all companies do it, and if you owned a company where you had to spend more money on wasted man hours because people refused to mail a check or pay online, you would charge fees also.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Re: Whaaaaa

How does that have anything to do with asking to not have random crap sent with your bill?

kalphearion
In nomine Patri
Premium
Broomfield, CO

My post was leaning more towards the side of fee's Comcast charges in general. As far as being charged 1.99 to not have Comcast "junk" mail sent to you, I can guess it is the fact that they have to process it through their system.

Either way, why bitch and moan about two dollars?

They ONLY problem I see here is that Comcast didn't say anything about it, and that is not right. They should be explaining these fees at the time of the call.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Simple. I expect to get a bill, not a bill and tons of other crap that get's stuffed into the envelope. I should also not be charged ANY amount to not have all the other junk that is in there, no matter if it is $.02 or $2.00.

Why should I have to pay to not receive junk mail?

kalphearion
In nomine Patri
Premium
Broomfield, CO

Removing flyer's from the bill envelope is not standard, so you have to pay to get that. Seems fair to me.

I have a very simple fix for all of this. Go paperless. Doesn't cost you a dime and you don't have to worry about junk flyer's with your bill.

Sabre
Di relung hatiku bernyanyi bidadari

join:2005-05-17

said by kalphearion:

I have a very simple fix for all of this. Go paperless.
Unfortunately, Comcast doesn't offer a paperless option. (Not in MD, anyway; it seemed to me from what I could see that it's not available anywhere, though I can't verify that.) Shame, really, that's the only bill I still have to get in the mail.
--
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Save American Soccer - Stop the MLS!

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

They don't offer a recurring credit card payment option, either. Authorizing bank account direct withdrawl is out of the question considering their customer non-service.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

comcast tech

@sbcglobal.net
Every comcast customer has the option of paperless billing providing you have internet with them. It's simple, but you have to actually spend a couple of minutes of your precious time to do it. Simply log into your comcast account, go to billing and select the option to go paperless. As to rest of the people moaning and complaining about the billing/cost of having cable, do some research. It costs a massive amount of money to operate a cable company, especially with all the services comcast provides. For example; A network switch/router that provides your internet and that ONE head-end uses (more than 1 in a more populated area) costs in the ballpark of $10,000.00. Yes Ten Thousand Dollars. Now multiply that by how many head-ends? Customer service problems are an issue with any company! I'm a comcast service tech, and I won't argue the fact that our customer service reps leave a lot of room for improvement. I've had to deal with them myself and you'll never get an argument from me about them! To sum things up, for every 1 person who hates comcast, there's 8 others who love comcast. Cable prices will continue to increase, along with phone, satellite, gas, electric, anything and everything associated with living. Cable gets the worst bad mouthing because it's a luxury to have, not critical to survive. Learn to live with it! Try and be patient with those of us who work in this industry. Most of us do care about our job and have higher work ethics unlike the few morons who some of you have had to deal with.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI
This is not about the adverts stuffed in your bill. This is about the 2x weekly Comcast mailers advertising for phone or internet service. Postcards, mostly.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by quetwo:

This is not about the adverts stuffed in your bill. This is about the 2x weekly Comcast mailers advertising for phone or internet service. Postcards, mostly.
Thanks for the information. Either way, I don't think I should have to pay $2.00 for them to stop mailing me things other than my bill.

I get a service, I pay for the service. If the service wants to send alot of other ancillary stuff, thats great but I should be able to say "no thanks" without being charged a dime.

kalphearion
In nomine Patri
Premium
Broomfield, CO
said by quetwo:

My bad, I thought it was the crap they stuff with your bill. Even though it is silly, charging a change of service fee is common place with all companies, Comcast is not the only one doing it.

•••

simplybewtful

@comcast.net
thank you, by know everyone in the world should have them at least you would think with all the advertistments they send. And i know because i deliver them..

bbrkdub

join:2001-10-03
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by kalphearion:

My post was leaning more towards the side of fee's Comcast charges in general. As far as being charged 1.99 to not have Comcast "junk" mail sent to you, I can guess it is the fact that they have to process it through their system.
This sets up a very bad situation for customers. So we now have to pay to *stop* receiving unsolicited mail, the mail they're allowed to send for free *and* write off for taxes. That doesn't seem fair at all.

If that does seem fair to you, then why not allow spammers to do the same?

said by kalphearion:

I don't think they're complaining about the cost (but there is the phrase "nickel and dime you to death"), but it's the principle. That being said, I know I would "bitch" about it if I see it on my Comcast bill.

said by kalphearion:

They ONLY problem I see here is that Comcast didn't say anything about it, and that is not right. They should be explaining these fees at the time of the call.
That's not the only problem I see with this, but I agree, and they can at least do that.
--
Hope this helps...

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
said by kalphearion:

The obvious reply to that logic is "where does it stop?"
How many 'two dollar' charges does one endure before they bitch and moan?
Two bucks here, two bucks there; pretty soon we're talking money.

People are waking up to inflation and stagnant wages, and that's going to equate to luxuries (I love when the sword cuts both ways!) being cut. And that's when Comcast has their turn at "why bitch and moan about $$.$$" x the number of subs dropping services and service. PR problems will be the last of their worries.

I say to people who tell others to stop "bitching and moaning" to please purchase as much stock in these companies as you can afford. Use your savings if need be.
--

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

1 recommendation

said by Titus:

said by kalphearion:

The obvious reply to that logic is "where does it stop?"
How many 'two dollar' charges does one endure before they bitch and moan?
Two bucks here, two bucks there; pretty soon we're talking money.

People are waking up to inflation and stagnant wages, and that's going to equate to luxuries (I love when the sword cuts both ways!) being cut. And that's when Comcast has their turn at "why bitch and moan about $$.$$" x the number of subs dropping services and service. PR problems will be the last of their worries.

I say to people who tell others to stop "bitching and moaning" to please purchase as much stock in these companies as you can afford. Use your savings if need be.
--
So true. The charges that show up on your bill are small, incremental, but when factored in with everything else going up and being "fee'ed" to distraction is just not palatable for alot of the consumers out there. There are always those posters who think it is no big deal. Just go paperless they say, what's two dollars they say. Wait until you see what is around the corner. Sooner or later those fees are going to creep into something that you will find to be not palatable at all and then we will see you back here bitching and moaning.
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

join:2002-11-19
Canada
Stupidest post of 2008 (so far!)

Unbelievable....

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
It's not even that.

It's asking them to stop sending junk mail, not stuffers in the regular bill.

I'm sick of getting junk mail from Comcast too, but soon enough I'll be dropping their overpriced service for DirecTV or Fios.

I'm even considering go without all together, or at least dropping back to basic cable until Fios TV comes through.

All I really watch is FNC, CNN, CNNH, TDC, and the Hitler channel anyway.

Oh, and the weather channel. Those weather babes are hot....
--
Petty people are disproportionably corrupted by petty power…

••••

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-20
Maybe it is a waste of company resources - but it is a cost of doing business (companies doing direct marketing are required to have an opt-out method). The cost should be absorbed in the revenue generated by the direct marketing, not as a deterrent to opting out.
--
DSLr Mafia Member.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
A "convenience" I surely wouldn't want, especially to pay for it!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonk ··· amonkey/

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT

Whew..

Talk about a slow news day here at bbr.

A 1.99 change of service fee (which it seems to me would apply to exactly that..a change of service no matter what it is)
now makes BBR headlines.

And..one that "The rep removed the fee from my bill." anyway.

Folks...get USED to it. No matter who the provider...they ALL nickel and dime us to death on these kinds of things and anything involving HUMANS these days doing something costs these companies big money..and they pass it along.

Welcome..to business 101.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

•••••••••••

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric

Since when....

I am sure we all know by now that the Comcast reps are not too bright. That being said, how does one person saying that mean that it is true? I also believe Comcast wouldn't stoop that low, and I don't believe one person working at Comcast saying this doesn't mean it is true. I think the Consumerist would be best off investigating the issue further instead of posting what one moronic rep says and taking it as 100% truth.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

wruckman
Ruckman.net

join:2007-10-25
Northwood, OH

Comcastic

The land of the Free, not the land of the Fee. That's just Comcasic!
caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

They rep removed the fee from my bill.

dualsub2006

join:2007-07-18
Newport, KY

Re: They rep removed the fee from my bill.

What's your point? So this person paid attention to their bill, noticed the fee and called to complain. How many people will pay it without looking at it and get fleeced out of that $2?

I am thankful to still be with Insight instead of handed over to Comcast. If their business is so bad that they have to charge extra fees for customer care and support that they should have already accounted for in your monthly programming charges I can only imagine where they will go next to "find" new revenue.

Nightshade
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

1 edit

Re: They rep removed the fee from my bill.

said by dualsub2006:

What's your point? So this person paid attention to their bill, noticed the fee and called to complain. How many people will pay it without looking at it and get fleeced out of that $2?
Exactly. I am sure if enough people would pay attention to their bill, rather than writing a check like a robot for whatever the bold amount says, the days of nickel and diming customers for silly and pointless charges will be over

Shamayim
I already have a Messiah.
Premium
join:2002-09-23

1 recommendation

Error?

We've fired off an inquiry to Comcast to see if this is standard practice or a billing error.

It's not an error; it's a billing feature
--
Who is Jesus? and Why it matters (to YOU).

just__

@verizon.net

imagine__if

just imagine if they did this to the "Mrs. Baseball bat" lady..
whiteyonenh

join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

And the point is...

Everyone charges a change of service fee for changes on an account, especially the major cable companies. I got a charge from Time Warner for upgrading my service from Roadrunner Standard to Turbo. While I can understand the issue with the fee in this instance, it is still wasting time of a CS rep and still has to be processed through the system and still shows as an account change. While it may have been something that should be coded in as to not charge, I don't see how this is any different than any other major company. While I detest Comcast in general and don't recommend it to many people, any other cable company that I know of will do this.

•••••••••••••

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

So..

at least when you call to make a change they don't automatically extend your contract for another 2 years..

I have come to the conclusion that here at DSLR, All Cable/DSL/Telco/News/Business/ISP are evil..

The only thing good is pirating music & video via file-shares..
--
I finally got my shit together. So now I've got a great, big pile of shit.
votum76

join:2002-01-29
Matawan, NJ

Who gives a rat's ass

Ok junk mail is alittle annoying, but I mean it takes 2 seconds to throw it out and you have the throw away the envelope anyway so in reality no personal time is being wasted, my issue is not with the charge but the whiny cry babies who fell the need to bitch and moan about stupid shit. If I owned a company I'd charge them too it is whiny people like this that cut into company profits by constantly calling support with some stupid issue every day and raise the price for the majority of normal users who don't complain unless their is a real problem, like service outages. Some people just need to get a life.

••••

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

spin cycle

I think CC will say
"Yes, Any adjustment to your account, requires a 'change of service fee'
I don't think a 'change of service fee' is unreasonable, and was instituted to pay for the costs of actual account changes (some step beyond your actual conversation with the CSR) so that frequent changers pay the cost rather than everyone paying more to subsidize those few.
Yes, the CSR should have told the user that there was a fee for the change (probably why the second CSR removed the charge) and the fee should be applied for upgrades as well as downgrades, so as to not penalize downgraders (harder for CC to sell, but more fair.)
I understand the Users desire not to receive ads within the bill, but realize that this common mailing practice (called attachments or inserts in the trade)subsidizes the cost of paper billing.
The consumerist often goes well beyond reporting items such as this (a fee , of which the customer was not informed, and was later removed) adding blatant inflammatory editorial remarks that have little/nothing to do with the story at hand. ( in this story~ " In Comcast's defense, however, we think with the FCC hearing they were just trying to solve the sleepy technician problem that's plagued them in the past.")

We get the point, The consumerist hates ComCast and all businesses in general (or at least pretends to, in order to support their own advertising business)
MJRudzik

join:2002-01-13
Independence, MO

just an average clerical error

Talk about bowing this out of propotion..
Geez its obvious that Comcast isn't charging a 2 dollar fee for not receiving their junk mail in fact they didn't even charge the subject of the story.
I bet this was just a billing error. Ammending his account with the do not contact note probably registered as an account change and generated the fee automatically. The caller did the right thing and questioned the charge by contacting Comcast and the Comcast rep did the appropriate thing by determining that while an account change was processed it was not the type of change intended to trigger the 2 dollar processing fee. mistakes happen and usually they are happily corrected as is the case with this story. Nothing to see here Move along.
For what its worth I did pay this fee last month when I changed the package on my service. No big whoop there either, I spent about 15 minutes discussing various options with an extremely courteous and helpful Comcast rep. I have no problem with a $2 fee for the service I got. I tip my waitresses more for simply keeping my sodas full. Sheesh lighten up.
slow mo

join:2002-03-19
USA

Re: just an average clerical error

said by MJRudzik:

Talk about bowing this out of propotion..
Geez its obvious that Comcast isn't charging a 2 dollar fee for not receiving their junk mail in fact they didn't even charge the subject of the story.
I bet this was just a billing error. Ammending his account with the do not contact note probably registered as an account change and generated the fee automatically. The caller did the right thing and questioned the charge by contacting Comcast and the Comcast rep did the appropriate thing by determining that while an account change was processed it was not the type of change intended to trigger the 2 dollar processing fee. mistakes happen and usually they are happily corrected as is the case with this story. Nothing to see here Move along.
For what its worth I did pay this fee last month when I changed the package on my service. No big whoop there either, I spent about 15 minutes discussing various options with an extremely courteous and helpful Comcast rep. I have no problem with a $2 fee for the service I got. I tip my waitresses more for simply keeping my sodas full. Sheesh lighten up.
Comcast charged me $2 for discontinuing internal wire maintenance service. Comcast charged me $20 (yes $20, not $2) for changing the TV package. These are not billing errors.

Aframe
Premium
join:2008-01-30
Uvalde, TX

Cost of doing business

All of this should and probably is included in the "cost of doing business" which we are paying for in the first place. As long as the customer's don't complain and pay it without looking then the will continue to find ways to fleece the consumer and increase their bottom line. IMHO
--
HN7000s/.98m/2w,Sm office,Horizon 1,127west,1110,version5.6.1.19,XP Pro,Linksys WRT150N

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

Comcast, now offering banking services.

Subject says it all.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

That does it...

I hereby propose that we all start contacting The Consumerist every time Karl or KathrynV screws up a news item -- you and I are members of this site (some even pay for it), and we should not stand for inaccurate information!

Someone has to stand up to these abusive practices, thank god we have The Consumerist to fight the good fight.

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

Cox won't let me stop the junk mail

When I called Cox, they said there is no way for them to stop sending me junk mail. I don't know what I'd prefer, wasting all that paper to fill my mailbox with ads or being charged $2 to be free from it.

•••