dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-03-05 09:27:59: As we just got done saying, Comcast has been pretty tight lipped about DOCSIS 3.0 deployment plans, officially only saying they'll have 20% of their footprint wired with the speedier connectivity by the end of this year. ..

dhtlar
@comcast.net

2 recommendations

dhtlar

Anon

Oh, but I thought it would never happen?

Here's to the nay-sayers! Cheers to Comcast!
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

1 edit

BosstonesOwn

Re: Oh, but I thought it would never happen?

said by dhtlar :

Here's to the nay-sayers! Cheers to Comcast!
Yeah but notice its to head off a u-verse deployment.

The problem is the people at comcast won't give you that upgrade unless there is competition. That is just so against these nay sayers.

dhtlar
@comcast.net

dhtlar

Anon

100Mbps vs 10Mbps? Yeah, Comcast sure did the bare minimum there! Give me a break. Haha.

It's not like Comcast is deploying a brand new technology that's merely FTTN in 2008 with exploding batteries in their VRADs (AT&T anyone?). I'd also watch your words you never know how knowledgable a mere anon user may be.
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806

The likelihood of Comcast and AT&T having exploding nodes are virtually identical. They all use batteries.

Sterling
IP Support Tier III
Premium Member
join:2003-05-30
Pittsburgh, PA

Sterling to dhtlar

Premium Member

to dhtlar
said by dhtlar :

100Mbps vs 10Mbps? Yeah, Comcast sure did the bare minimum there! Give me a break. Haha.

It's not like Comcast is deploying a brand new technology that's merely FTTN in 2008 with exploding batteries in their VRADs (AT&T anyone?). I'd also watch your words you never know how knowledgable a mere anon user may be.
Don't be a hater just because Comcast looked into the future 15 years ago and saw fiber optics as it's future path.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to BosstonesOwn

MVM

to BosstonesOwn
Guess what!
I have Comcast 16meg service but there is no FiOS and no U-Verse - explain that!
------------------------------
We're Sorry

AT&T U-verse service is not available for this address or phone number as entered
Meanest thing here to "compete" with Comcast is AT&T DSL(*NOT* U-Verse) @ 6mbps.
My previous 8mbps Comcast was plenty to hose AT&T DSL.

Yet, here I am...

Config file d11_m_sb5100_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Yeah and I am sure close by there is a fios deployment.

Look at the Mass fios map and all the fios cities can get the 16 meg pack , why can't I being 1 city over ? My head end is in a city with fios. If I snipe the tftp server I can grab the config for the tier though.

Comcast should roll it out in every area. I really can't stand this less then regional shit they heave. Same head end , one city has fios the other don't oh lets feed the one city a higher speed. Comcast in this area blows , they can't do anything right. Even cable tv here is flaky.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Look pal, this is the Bay Area. There is *NO* FiOS here!

Feel free to search til you puke for FiOS in Hercules California...
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

»www.fiberexperts.com/cal ··· ios.html

Yeah , a desolate landscape. Being so close to richmond , you don't benefit from competition from the nearest fiber providers.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Ok pal, show me Richmond...

Palos Verdes Estates
Perris
Pomona
Rancho Cucamonga
Rancho Mirage
Rancho Palos Verdes
Redlands
Redondo Beach
Riverside County
Rolling Hills
Rolling Hills Estates
San Dimas
San Jacinto
Santa Fe Springs
Santa Monica

DUH!
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Thats what I asked you ! Do you benefit from any company in Richmond ? Really man I am across the damn country I don't know your landscape.

Thats why I gave you the link.

You got lucky , maybe they felt bad for abusing the bay area for so long and gave you guys a decent upgrade.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Need to work on your posting skills.
I know whats here, didn't need your link!
I tried to tell you, but you didn't listen.

Nearest fiber providers are Paxio(new home developments only) and SureWest(Sacramento area)

There is no fiber here other than what Comcast laid 3 1/2 years ago.

I have Blast.
There is no competition for Comcast 8mbps service, yet they hit me(and a few other cities here in the Bay Area) with 16mbps.

Maybe they will hit you soon.
Since you are in MA, maybe you should stop posting like you know what's up here! Right?
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Ok so comcast gives you a bubble gum shaped pocket of speed and they are great. One or 2 areas define a whole business map.

I know comcast and I know how they are , they only do this where they feel the need to compete. So there has to be a reason , maybe your blessed enough to be a test market.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

No, major parts of the Bay Area are getting Blast.
The rest will be getting it soon as well.

Here:

»www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/a ··· 2&sc=835

Pretty big piece of gum, huh?

While AT&T may be in a few places here in The Bay Area, it is *NOT* here in Hercules. Period!

Lose the Comcast hate... it's sad.
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Are you really that bad dude ? Comcast foot print is half the country , they give a small patch on the map top speeds and they are the bench mark ?

You are the exception get over yourself , you try and prove it wrong , but many here in comcast territories don't have a chance for it. You are the minority. Now your just trying to fight it out for no other reason then trying to feel your right.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

»Are 16/2 and 12/2 speed tiers in your area? Post here.

»Blast! Tier Availability in Indiana
»Blast! Tier Availability in California
»Blast! Tier Availability in Illinois
»Blast! Tier Availability in Delaware
»Blast! Tier Availability in Arkansas
»Blast! Tier Availability in West Virginia
»Blast! Tier Availability in Maryland
»Blast! Tier Availability in Massachusetts
»Blast! Tier Availability in New Jersey
»Blast! Tier Availability in Pennsylvania
»Blast! Tier Availability in Virginia

Go away!
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

said by dadkins:

»Are 16/2 and 12/2 speed tiers in your area? Post here.

»Blast! Tier Availability in Indiana
»Blast! Tier Availability in California
»Blast! Tier Availability in Illinois
»Blast! Tier Availability in Delaware
»Blast! Tier Availability in Arkansas
»Blast! Tier Availability in West Virginia
»Blast! Tier Availability in Maryland
»Blast! Tier Availability in Massachusetts
»Blast! Tier Availability in New Jersey
»Blast! Tier Availability in Pennsylvania
»Blast! Tier Availability in Virginia

Go away!
Please , the only area there is no competition from any one is arkansas. The rest of the area is all places they get competition and if you look almost always from Verizon.

You need to take off the rose colored glasses man.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

2 edits

dadkins

MVM

said by BosstonesOwn:

Please , the only area there is no competition from any one is arkansas.
Wait a minute!
I thought you said that Comcast was only deploying this where there was competition?
said by BosstonesOwn:

The problem is the people at comcast won't give you that upgrade unless there is competition.

So... which is it?
Only where there is competition or not?

Pick one...
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
Blast tier in Arkansas....Comcast is only in Little Rock. My hometown which is near Little Rock and has a larger pop. than Hilo has an small independent cable company and their speed offerings are pitiful. Almost the entire state is like that so it is misleading to post that when it only a small portion of the pop of the state can get any broadband and of those who can just one area can get a major provider (Comcast).

Comcast sucks much worse than Time Warner. You go to their website and it appears that they offer service in all these towns but they don't. They are the most deceptive of all the broadband providers.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
surewest is 30GB/mo
unsure about paxio.
LostMile
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Coloma, MI

1 recommendation

LostMile to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Guess what!
I have Comcast 16meg service but there is no FiOS and no U-Verse - explain that!
Exactly! Same here, all I can get from T is mediocre dialup...yet Comcast service rocks.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

Yeah, some people are in for a VERY rude awakening!

Comcast does not just sit on their ass and do nothing.
They have started lighting up all kinds of areas BEFORE any "competition" existed.

I had 6mbps before there was anything near 3mbps from any DSL provider.
I had 8mbps before there was 6mbps was available from any DSL provider.
Now, I have 16mbps(17.3 actual) and all there is as an alternative is AT&T DSL @ 6mbps.

Eat this Anti-Comcasters!

BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

1 recommendation

BosstonesOwn

said by dadkins:

Yeah, some people are in for a VERY rude awakening!

Comcast does not just sit on their ass and do nothing.
They have started lighting up all kinds of areas BEFORE any "competition" existed.

I had 6mbps before there was anything near 3mbps from any DSL provider.
I had 8mbps before there was 6mbps was available from any DSL provider.
Now, I have 16mbps(17.3 actual) and all there is as an alternative is AT&T DSL @ 6mbps.

Eat this Anti-Comcasters!

When I see it on a foot print bigger then spots of bubble gum stuck to a wall ill take it seriously. Other then small beauty marks these guys have not widely rolled out your speeds. Verizon has , at&t is just really a lost cause , 25 mbit and that is shared is just not going to cut it in the future.

I give comcast credit for these small bubbles , but the small foot print fios has , at least they offer tops speeds every where serviced.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Look friend, you are wrong - deal with it!

There is no competition for Comcasts 8mbps service here and there is NO FiOs in the Bay Area.
AT&T sucks ass.
There is no AT&T U-Verse here either!

So, as soon as you deal with the fact that there are many of us getting 16mbps from Comcast WITHOUT any competition, we will be better for it.

I'm truly sorry that you cannot get it - yet.
Not my fault though!

*I* do have it!
Get over it!
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Now your confusing posts. Learn to separate.

You have a small area where Comcast is rolling this out. Because you are the small handful of exceptions doesn't mean you are right.

When Comcast lets the tier loose on the whole market they have then I will be amazed until then , and only then you and the few who have it are an exception. Feel lucky , you were also one of the few who got "permaboost".

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Bay Area is not small!
You are confused!
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Yeah the bay area is so huge compared to their foot print.

It's a blob of gum compared to the swatches of service area they cover. You are the minority man end it , your the lucky exception get over yourself.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Never said it was compared to their footprint.

YOU said it was a stick of gum.
You must have a big mouth to chew on a piece of gum that big!

Tell ya what pal, this thread is yours!
I am not going to continue discussion with someone that refuses to see facts.

Have a Great Day!

Shut It
@verizon.net

Shut It

Anon

Why don't you two get a room for crying out loud.

comcast employee
@comcast.net

comcast employee to BosstonesOwn

Anon

to BosstonesOwn
comast has rolled out this speed tier to about 10 to 12 million customers. i would not call that a small area. offering a service to 10 million sub is a lot of people.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

gate1975mlm to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Guess what!
We're Sorry

AT&T U-verse service is not available for this address or phone number as entered
Meanest thing here to "compete" with Comcast is AT&T DSL(*NOT* U-Verse) @ 6mbps.
My previous 8mbps Comcast was plenty to hose AT&T DSL.

Yet, here I am...

Config file d11_m_sb5100_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm
Same here

I also have 16meg service but there is no FiOS yet in philly!

•••••••••

megahz01
By any means necessary
join:2001-12-22
Bend, OR

1 edit

megahz01 to dadkins

to dadkins
I'm about 30 mi east of dadkins and well I see lots of AT&T trucks there is no U-Verse where I'm at.
megahz01

megahz01

By the way I got 16/2 as well
CatchingSpy
join:2002-09-08

CatchingSpy to dhtlar

to dhtlar
Verizon will get to Atlanta before comcast does....

cracker1
@kviewfinancial.com

1 edit

cracker1

Anon

The only telco offering service in Atlanta is ATT, and Verizon will not build FiOS in ATT's territory and vice versa. ATT is ever so slowly implementing the equipment to offer U-Verse in metro Atlanta. But it's likely Atlanta will get Blast before ATT can offer U-Verse for the entire metro area.
rdaniel
join:2008-01-16
Cambridge, MA

rdaniel to dhtlar

to dhtlar
Will this fix the packet filtering issue. NOOOT!!!!

Jack2131
@comcast.net

Jack2131

Anon

Reach Your MONTHLY CAP in Less than a DAY

I wonder how long it'll take users to get warning letters from Comcast for "excessive" bandwidth usage if it's "unlimited". They'll make a fortune by going the "PAY by the GIGABYTE" scheme of service.

•••••••••••••••
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

1 edit

2 recommendations

Rick5

Premium Member

Interesting..

So...what I've been
a)cautioning about
b)suggesting was very quickly happening...and
c)outright issuing continuing dire predictions about here at BBR..

is now all coming true.

Rick..just that lone voice out here in the BBR wilderness saying...you better watch out to the telco industry.
Saying..that docsis 3.0 is too damn easy to roll out now for a cable industry that has spent 100 billion bucks in 10 years on fiber/coax..

Saying it's too damn cheap for them to do it in comparison to everything else they've already spent...

Saying..it IS coming on fast..and in a big way.

Listen folks. That WILL be enough of the self congrats because that's not what I'm about.
What I am about however..and what we should ALL be about..is discussing the now huge potential ramifications of this.
And literally..how it can impact this country and these industries as a whole.

We should be about ELEVATING this conversation..and not some cable versus telco fanboy discussion.

I have talked about what is happening repeatedly..because I simply have seen it coming..and believe it is huge.
I believe it is the BBR scoop of the CENTURY.

Here are the questions I pose to you.
And I'm telling you..I don't have the answers myself.
I'm just trying to look ahead here at how this can impact the entire industry in a big way..really fast.

We've ALREADY seen Comcast CEO Roberts demoing this at 150,000k speeds.
As to what Comcast will do with this when it's rolled out remains to be seen..but IMHO..we are looking at 50,000k + speeds potentially..VERY quickly.

What is happening here is that the U.S. is finally catching up to the rest of the world in terms of speeds..and what consumers can expect.

And that is a GREAT thing.

I'm trying REAL hard to not mutter that A^^ word..but the other bigger question is..what then happens..to them?

Verizon..I'm not as concerned about. Because somewhere back when in the last 2 years ..i think they sat down and thought this through..the way I did when I started talking bigtime about this here on this site.

But what is going to happen when 50,000K + becomes the standard..and some other company who I won't name in this post..is running along at 1/40th those speeds for dsl and
1/5th on their next generation service?

Combine that with the landlines issue...and how the cable co's are growing there..
and folks..we have a VERY legitimate topic here to discuss..

and perhaps..the biggest BBR scoop of all time.

Again..I will state my position emphatically.
I am in support of COMPETITION.

I am NOT a cable "fanboy"..and reject that label.

I simply think that what is occurring here business wise..is huge. And technology wise..it's even bigger.

Because unless that other company who I won't name here decides..like yesterday..that they are suddenly in this game..

they are going to lose this game.

~Rick

•••••••••

Jack2131
@comcast.net

Jack2131

Anon

Whole neigborhood will slow to a crawl.

I wonder how SLOW the ENTIRE neighborhood will be when people start using such bandwidth and we know Comcast rarely upgrades their capacity. Been told, Comcast will "shape" the traffic according to the "tier". Higher "tiers" gets preferred/faster/higher priority for their traffic/gaming/downloading experience. You pay more, you get better "QoS". What a BUMMER!!

•••••••••

NeedForSpeed
@verizon.net

NeedForSpeed

Anon

Cool...

So, what?, that'll be 100 mbps (that's "m", not "M", as with all comm speeds) down and up will be... what? 384? Just kidding . They'll bond 4 channels to make it about 1.5; unless you have Blast!, in which case you can have 4.

(All I'm really saying is that Comcast management needs to change their attitude about upload speeds, and DOCSIS 3.0 will be their opportunity to do so... hope they take advantage of it.)
deadzoned
Premium Member
join:2005-04-13
Cypress, TX

deadzoned

Premium Member

Hurry up and wait!

I sure wish DOCSIS 3.0 would come to Cox out here in Baton Rouge, LA! I would love to get my hands on a faster connection, especially upload speed.

Does DOCSIS 3.0 allow for faster upload speeds? Uploading pics to Flickr takes forever on my current connection. (4/512)
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

overlap

Docsis 3 doesn't need to be deployed in AT&T u-verse areas as current in-place equipment does fine (if nodes aren't oversold/loaded). Comcast need to worry about where there is overlap with Verizon's footprint. There, sooner or later docsis 3 speeds will be essential for competing.
Comcast suck6
join:2007-10-23
Bloomfield, CT

Comcast suck6

Comcast watch out!! Att is coming!

With inside reports saying that Att might go ftth late 2008 /early 2009 Comcast days maybe numbered!
Expand your moderator at work

FrostyMelon
join:2006-02-06
Colorado Springs, CO

FrostyMelon

Hmm...

Not sure what is going on around me, but posted about it...maybe part of Comcast and DOCSIS 3.0 rollout...maybe not?
»Downstream power level too low?

••••

SolarPup
Office365 Rockstar
Premium Member
join:2002-03-07
Windsor, CO

SolarPup

Premium Member

hmmm

At least ya'll don't live in Colorado where we can't get anything but 8/768 because Qworst refuses to build fiber.. rediculous!

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

How about......

Southwest Florida FFS!

anon11112
@bellsouth.net

anon11112

Anon

comcast vs dsl

yeah comcast is going to upgrade and offer 100mbps in south florida, but wait till a hurricane comes through south florida and you dont have a connection for 2 months!!!! then you'll be wishing you had DSL!!!

•••

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus

Premium Member

Wont work unless they fix there other network issue

To me there network is a piece of crap in south fl especaily with the business class customers, dont believe me check around the comcast forums. I hope they fix the issue they have on the networks before they push this out to the customers but i know they wont, they want that $$$$$ asap

•••

xcommiecastuser
@alter.net

xcommiecastuser

Anon

what goos is 100mb download from commie cast

what good is 100mb download if you are blocked to things you can download from Commie Cast. going 100mb or 10mb to a webpage doesn't make a difference It's the p2p that will see the speed but Commie Cast blocks p2p
dealsbb
join:2008-02-14
Little Rock, AR

dealsbb

DealsBroadband.com

Thats a good news for the South Florida consumers to experience better connectivity at High speeds.
Hoping for speeds all over the country at an affordable price.
There should be a healthy competition among the providers for promising quality.

eatnaders
join:2005-04-07
San Jose, CA

eatnaders

whats your speeds - Check mine out on Comcast

Click for full size
Now this is speed folks. Screw Verizon FIOS and ATT U-Verse. Comcast ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!