spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-03-27 10:06:26: Comcast and BitTorrent this morning jointly announced that by the end of this year, Comcast will migrate "to a capacity management technique that is protocol agnostic. ..

prev page · 1 · 2
RogerDucky

join:2002-01-04
Plano, TX

Translation:

By "protocol agnostic," I think they mean they're going to drop connections based on traffic patterns instead of specific protocols.

In other words, anything that leads to too many outgoing packets gets dropped.

Is that really any better?

mdmaddox
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Federal Way, WA

1 edit

Re: Translation:

What I hope it means is that they follow Verzions lead. Verzion is trying to connect P2P downloads to a user on their own network before allowing a download from outside of their network. That should be faster for the user and cheaper for the ISP.
»Verizon Says They're Embracing P2P
bngdup

join:2007-02-20
Old Bridge, NJ

What good is DOCSIS 3.0 if there are inivisible caps?

Despite their recent turnaround on the whole BT issue, what good is it to have 50+Mbps download if the same caps are in place that were there when you had 8Mbps down?

Thats no different than building a 6 lane highway and setting the speed limit at 45mph
priller

join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

3 edits

Re: What good is DOCSIS 3.0 if there are inivisible caps?

It's all marketing. They don't actually want anybody to use it!

.... other than for delivering their own content.
Samwoo

join:2002-02-15
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

1 edit
Caps don't put a bandwidth speed limit like pipe size does.
A cap, if we are using highways as an analogy is like telling someone they can only travel up to 100 miles in a day. So if we increase the pipe size/speed, and in analogy increase the speed limit, commuters can get to their destinations faster, but they still might not be able to go to far away destinations.

Bah. just think of it in terms of a longer term power boost. You can download faster, but you can't download a whole lot more on the average.

Because, if you can reach your 100 Gig cap in 1 day, well then you can get all that much content in 1 day rather than 1 month.

A 50 mbps would be necessary for something like clicking on the web browser and streaming a HD movie with minimal latency. It doesn't mean that the user will be able to watch 100 more movies (because of the overall caps), but it means that the user won't have to wait 20 minutes to buffer the stream.

To some people, the internet isn't a continuous download crunch. I guess you do not understand this, as you do not download things for instant gratification (how could you? you seem to be downloading more content than you can even consume at once). But there is definitely reason to increase bandwidth, yet keep caps where they are. And many people will see benefits to the bandwidth increase.

I'm not saying that bandwidth increases will be more beneficial to you. Nor am I trying to say that your use of the internet is wrong or anything. I'm just trying to point out that there will definitely be benefits for higher caps, just benefits that you, personally may not understand or be able to realize (benefit from) for your internet needs.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
said by bngdup:

Thats no different than building a 6 lane highway and setting the speed limit at 45mph
I think you mean keeping the 2 lane highway but bumping the speed limit to 90mph. (increasing speed, not quantity)
bngdup

join:2007-02-20
Old Bridge, NJ

Yes I am aware of the flaws in the Highway Analogy.

My point remains the same. You say that you need 50Mbps to Stream an HD movie and Browse the web. I understand that but whether you are streaming that HD movie or legally downloading it doesn't matter to the router waiting to cap your ass.

Wow, I can now stream my Movie in HD clearly....for 30 minutes until you hit the bandwidth cap.

My point is that there are plenty of people who had no issues with 8Mbps down, that was plenty for them. The only problem was the cap. Now offering 50Mbps is not going to be that much different unless the caps are equally raised. So they'll hit their cap quicker....of course they will. That does little to alleviate the issue with the caps unless these customers are going get connections faster than 8 Mbps to their VPN's, File servers, game servers, whatever. Yes they can pack more down the pipe locally, but so long as its capped upstream it doesnt make that much of a difference.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

First off, streaming video isn't going to be able to require 50mbps over the Internet until 100GigE interfaces become commonplace on backbones. (ie, not anytime soon)

Second, just because you have faster speeds doesn't necessarily mean you'll be downloading more content. In most cases people download what they download today plus a small amount more; the big benefit they just get the potential to download it a heck of a lot faster. There's only so much large content being generated that is worthwhile to fetch. In most cases to significantly ratchet up your usage you have to work on downloading insane amounts of crap.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

I'd have to have a real P2P or Videophile fanatic confirm this -- but it seems to me that when I started looking into this P2P stuff a couple of years ago, that a popular file size for a full-length DIVX/AVI movie was about 700 MB. I have a sense now that 700 MB is on the way out and 1.4 GB seems to be rising a lot faster as the popular size.

The movies aren't any longer today than 2 years ago, they're just using better(?) resolution (or perhaps the HD dimensions are causing this?). Again, not my strength. I don't have the attention span for movies.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
FCC Public Hearing on the Future of the Internet - Thursday, April 17th - Stanford Univ., Calif.
TIGERON

join:2008-03-11
Pacifica, CA

I'd like my money back please

Does this mean that for those former subscribers that have been booted off for violating the twilight-zone bandwidth limits do they get their money back?
djtr4in

join:2008-03-27
Frederick, MD

Comcast blows

I don't care what anyone says Comcast blows. Shit has been wack for years

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

1 recommendation

Re: Comcast blows

said by djtr4in:

Shit has been wack for years
Case Closed,

How could you possibly argue with that?

Addertooth

@qwest.net

throttling

This is still against the principal of broadband links. Comcast promises to provide X bandwidth for a given price. However, If you actually fill the data pipe you have paid for, you will recieve action against you, thus throttling you back to a lesser amount of effective bandwidth. Don't get me wrong; I have a broadband connection that I rarely use more than a fraction of its bandwidth. But should I wish to use more bandwidth some day, I would have the expectation I can use it freely, and without restrictions. It is the whole concept of throttling, and getting less than you pay for that I find reprehensable

Froggy

@teksavvy.com

What took them so long?

Well it's about time! The shareholders' meeting must have changed things.
hescominsoon

join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD

This is a load of BS

»gigaom.com/2008/03/27/spin-city-···on-deal/

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

FCC Commish: Comcast-BitTorrent Deal Proves FCC Role Needed

The following statement can be attributed to Commissioner Michael J. Copps in response to the Comcast-BitTorrent announcement today.

"Today's announcement confirms my belief that the FCC needs to play a proactive role in preserving the Internet as a vibrant place for democratic values, innovation and economic growth. If it had not been for the FCC's attention to this issue earlier this year, we would not be having the conversation that we are having now among network operators, edge content providers, consumers and government about the best way to implement reasonable network management.

"I look forward to learning more about this issue next month when the FCC holds a second hearing on Internet issues. I am confident that, through this process, the FCC can come up with clear rules of the road that will benefit American consumers and provide much-needed certainty to both network operators and Internet entrepreneurs."
»www.fcc.gov/
--
FCC Public Hearing on the Future of the Internet - Thursday, April 17th - Stanford Univ., Calif.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

FCC Chair to Comcast: Actions Speak Louder Than Words

said by FCC Chairman Kevin Martin :

... Comcast has not made clear when they will stop this discriminatory practice. It appears this practice will continue throughout the country until the end of the year and in some markets, even longer. While it may take time to implement its preferred new traffic management technique, it is not at all obvious why Comcast couldn’t stop its current practice of arbitrarily blocking its broadband customers from using certain applications. Comcast should provide its broadband customers as well as the Commission with a commitment of a date certain by when it will stop this practice.

The Commission will remain vigilant in ensuring that consumers have the ability to access the lawful content of their choice on the Internet. Our hearing on April 17 offers us the opportunity to explore more fully what constitutes reasonable network management practices ...
More from Martin and the other Commissioners can be found at »www.fcc.gov/
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

Key markets

Also known as fios areas.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

Reasonal methods

We'll just throttle everything encrypted like rogers does.

LeeRich

@comcast.net

More Than Meets the Eye

It seems to me that there is more to this debate the average political rhetoric would suggest. A lot of the changes that some people demand just simply aren't possible the way the networks are currently engineered. And it may take many different companies - applications and operators - to re-engineer the network to accommodate the most number of users. Check this post by Richard Bennett, it goes into some of the technical detail that engineers, not politicians, need to do to solve the problem.

»bennett.com/blog/index.php/archi···shaping/

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

More appropriate ---

"...the outcome will be a traffic management technique that is more appropriate for today's emerging Internet trends hopefully going to stop our revenue losses resulting from dissatisfied customers switching from us to our competitors' services."

Market forces can work - if people vote with their money.
--
Mayors of New York come from nowhere and go nowhere.
Wallace Sayre (apparently, so do governors... )

Konceptz
Intel

join:2001-12-22
Chesterfield, VA

about time

not every bit torrent download is illegal....