dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-04-07 13:06:29: When Verizon comes to install FiOS, we try to run their installers over with our cars for digging up our azaleas. When AT&T comes to install VDSL and IPTV, we're annoyed by the fact that they need to place a massive box in front of our homes. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

I want 100/100

but I'd be pretty upset too if a company dumped 2 refrigerator sized boxes in the middle of my front yard...
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin

who cares what they look like

TBH if they offered me 100mbit to my house for a reasonable rate I could care less what they look like.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

no but the next guy moving in your house might not...and thus might not buy your house because of it...yes folks....people DO care about the number of utility boxes on a property.

At least with verizon most are buried or flat and with lay of the land and not giant sized boxes vertical out of the ground.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH

Premium Member

WAAAAAA

WAAAAA

People whine too much......

I would let them put that on the front of my lawn if they wanted to. Especially if it gave me an alternative to ComCrap.

Then again, I have a buried petroleum pipeline that sits in a trench less that 40 feet where I've laid my head for the past 31 years, so maybe I'm a little conditioned to the whole thing

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock to Riplin

Premium Member

to Riplin

Re: who cares what they look like

said by Riplin:

TBH if they offered me 100mbit to my house for a reasonable rate I could care less what they look like.
I take it you aren't a homeowner.
yock

2 recommendations

yock

Premium Member

I'd like to propose a solution

To those of you who say you don't mind a metal box the size of a small trailer in your front yard, I say volunteer. Take the burden from those of us who refuse such eyesores and volunteer your property for right-of-way. That way the people who are concerned with their property value are unaffected and we all get our high-speed broadband.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk
join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

burgermeister to Riplin

to Riplin

Most homeowners care more about how their house looks than how fast their broadband is. I for one would choose to keep my current 6 meg speed if 100 meg for the same price had a company putting some nasty looking boxes in my yard.
burgermeister

burgermeister to yock

to yock

Re: I'd like to propose a solution

The problem is that if they have these nasty things exposed throughout my sub, I think I'd be a little pissed -- even if it wasn't in *my* yard.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

1 recommendation

Bobcat79

Premium Member

Utility easement

What part of "utility easement" don't these folks understand? They should have looked at the deed before they bought the property.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk
Utica, MI

burgermeister

said by Bobcat79:

What part of "utility easement" don't these folks understand? They should have looked at the deed before they bought the property.
That doesn't give them the right to put any old piece of crap on the easement. There has to be some limit.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

Ummm... No, sorry.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

yock to burgermeister

Premium Member

to burgermeister

said by burgermeister:

The problem is that if they have these nasty things exposed throughout my sub, I think I'd be a little pissed -- even if it wasn't in *my* yard.
Everything is a compromise, my friend. In 10 or 15 years even the best galvanized cabinet will begin to rust and I bet I know who will be the first to complain.

People often have to learn lessons the hard way. They'll think better of it next time when they fetch $15,000 less for their home when they sell in a few years.

meinmd
@verizon.com

meinmd to Bobcat79

Anon

to Bobcat79

Re: Utility easement

Ditto..It's a easement....And why its deemed a easement. They can do what they want with it.

I understood that when I built my house...Just as I had to sign over 15 foot of my property for future road widening. Just the way it is.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk
Utica, MI

burgermeister to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79
So, I could start a 'utility' and install anything in people's yard?? I'm no expert, but I don't think they can put anything on the easement they want. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem reasonable to give a utility this right.

I'd also argue that broadband and television service isn't a utility at all. For phone, electricity, water, and gas I can understand. Actually, pulling a wire isn't a huge deal to me, but the boxes are.

But that's a whole different discussion.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to N3OGH

to N3OGH

Re: WAAAAAA

the thing though is; even if that box is sitting in front of your house. it doesnt mean you'll be serviced. Remember AT&T is redlining their service areas.

WiseOldBear
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Litchfield Park, AZ
Motorola MB8600
Synology RT2600ac

WiseOldBear

Premium Member

When An Easement is An Eyesore

Utility easements were conceived in the days of underground pipes and cables and overhead wires not refrigerator sized boxes. Bought and paid for local politicians have simply allowed AT&T to use the easements for their own benefit and supposedly that of the local residents. The latter part of the preceeding statement is open to on-going debate.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to burgermeister

to burgermeister

well yes. by some people on here you can put anything in the right of way you want as long as you tell the state/county or who ever is running the right-of-way in your area. Ohio its the state. I wonder if i paid Ohio their application fee if they'd let me go around Toledo and start dropping boxes like ATT into neighborhoods?
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to yock

to yock

Yes I am an owner and I would take one of those boxes but like I said it would have to benefit me.
bigddybn
join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL

bigddybn

Come to my house.

They can drop one here if they like providing I get free service as long as the box is there....

Too bad I live in a condo
nevtxjustin
join:2006-04-18
Dallas, TX

nevtxjustin

One word...

SHURBERY

Millenniumle
join:2007-11-11
Fredonia, NY

Millenniumle to burgermeister

to burgermeister

It would be nice if they were more restricted. I see ugly old gas meters in the front of every home in some areas. They are several feet back from the road, out in the open producing one hell af an eye sore. I think to myself, what were they thinking?

Sure there are utility easements along most every residential street. They could be managed better. Underground cableing and pipes, sure. Stuctures, boxes, and meters out by the walk are rediculous.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk
Utica, MI

burgermeister to yock

to yock

You are correct. Well, for me, I'll take what I have for the broadband. I already have two cable things in my yard (those green things about 3' tall) and I don't want any more!

If they did want to install more, I may have no choice, but I have to tell you, I'd do everything I could to prevent it if the equipment was unsightly.

GlenQuagmire
Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
Grand Rapids, MI

GlenQuagmire

Premium Member

Broken Sewer

I am fine with Comcast and ATT installing new fiber as long as it does not cause shit to backup into my basement.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

yock to burgermeister

Premium Member

to burgermeister

We have some kind of acces box the size of a child's toy chest on our cul-de-sac and it really does affect the property value. Newer neighborhoods are constructed with these facilities in mind, and there are planned rights-of-way that sit to the side of the residential lots away from public sight. The problem comes when you want to retrofit these suburban neighborhoods that they started building after the second world war. There simply isn't any other choice for equipment location, unless you put it underground. That creates its own issues.
forrestin
Premium Member
join:2004-02-07
Clinton, IN

forrestin to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown

Re: I want 100/100

I'll take ten of those boxes if it means that I can get away from dialup. I'm tired of people complaining about how things look. If only AT&T cared enough to go into the rural areas of the country and install service.
Test99
Premium Member
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA

Test99

Premium Member

Humor

We consumers are a fussy bunch when it comes to broadband, wanting the fastest possible speeds with out hurling shrapnel, exploding garages, smoke inhalation or ruined landscaping if possible.
Karl, I like your humor!

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2 to bigddybn

Premium Member

to bigddybn

Re: Come to my house.

said by bigddybn:

They can drop one here if they like providing I get free service as long as the box is there....

Too bad I live in a condo
I've said it before, they'll put one wherever they need to and give you the same price they give everyone else. How does that deal sound now?
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

FYI, there are a lot fewer restrictions as to what can be put on utility easement as opposed to public right of way, i.e. along the street or highway. In fact buildings can be placed on utility easements if there is enough space on the easement, it just depends on how the easement is written and agreed to by the utility and the property owner.

Size of the box has to be compliant with the highway or street jurisdiction. And, for what it is worth, the VRAD placed in my subdivision is much smaller than the original ones placed at the start of U-Verse.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to nevtxjustin

Premium Member

to nevtxjustin

Re: One other word...

said by nevtxjustin:

SHURBERY
Dictionary.

supergirl
join:2007-03-20
Pensacola, FL

supergirl to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

Uhh, it was OVER the easement and 2 feet passed the property line. And, a retaining wall (the ugliest retaining wall possible)??? Actually, since TV and HSI is NOT an essential service, not sure easements can be used for whatever they hell AT&T wants.

AT&T
Your UGLY New Retaining Wall. Delivered.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next