spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-04-07 13:06:29: When Verizon comes to install FiOS, we try to run their installers over with our cars for digging up our azaleas. When AT&T comes to install VDSL and IPTV, we're annoyed by the fact that they need to place a massive box in front of our homes. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Millenniumle

join:2007-11-11
Fredonia, NY
reply to burgermeister

It would be nice if they were more restricted. I see ugly old gas meters in the front of every home in some areas. They are several feet back from the road, out in the open producing one hell af an eye sore. I think to myself, what were they thinking?

Sure there are utility easements along most every residential street. They could be managed better. Underground cableing and pipes, sure. Stuctures, boxes, and meters out by the walk are rediculous.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk

join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI
reply to yock

Re: I'd like to propose a solution

You are correct. Well, for me, I'll take what I have for the broadband. I already have two cable things in my yard (those green things about 3' tall) and I don't want any more!

If they did want to install more, I may have no choice, but I have to tell you, I'd do everything I could to prevent it if the equipment was unsightly.
--
"I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm."

GlenQuagmire
Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Grand Rapids, MI

Broken Sewer

I am fine with Comcast and ATT installing new fiber as long as it does not cause shit to backup into my basement.
--
Yes, its stuck in a windows this time.

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3
reply to burgermeister

We have some kind of acces box the size of a child's toy chest on our cul-de-sac and it really does affect the property value. Newer neighborhoods are constructed with these facilities in mind, and there are planned rights-of-way that sit to the side of the residential lots away from public sight. The problem comes when you want to retrofit these suburban neighborhoods that they started building after the second world war. There simply isn't any other choice for equipment location, unless you put it underground. That creates its own issues.

forrestin
Premium
join:2004-02-07
Clinton, IN
reply to PhoenixDown

Re: I want 100/100

I'll take ten of those boxes if it means that I can get away from dialup. I'm tired of people complaining about how things look. If only AT&T cared enough to go into the rural areas of the country and install service.

Test99
Premium
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA
kudos:1

Humor

We consumers are a fussy bunch when it comes to broadband, wanting the fastest possible speeds with out hurling shrapnel, exploding garages, smoke inhalation or ruined landscaping if possible.
Karl, I like your humor!
--
50775@fwd.pulver.com

cbrigante2
Cubs 20??
Premium
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL
reply to nokiatech

Re: Come to my house.

said by nokiatech:

They can drop one here if they like providing I get free service as long as the box is there....

Too bad I live in a condo
I've said it before, they'll put one wherever they need to and give you the same price they give everyone else. How does that deal sound now?

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
reply to hottboiinnc

Re: Utility easement

FYI, there are a lot fewer restrictions as to what can be put on utility easement as opposed to public right of way, i.e. along the street or highway. In fact buildings can be placed on utility easements if there is enough space on the easement, it just depends on how the easement is written and agreed to by the utility and the property owner.

Size of the box has to be compliant with the highway or street jurisdiction. And, for what it is worth, the VRAD placed in my subdivision is much smaller than the original ones placed at the start of U-Verse.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to nevtxjustin

Re: One other word...

said by nevtxjustin:

SHURBERY
Dictionary.

supergirl

join:2007-03-20
Pensacola, FL
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

What part of "utility easement" don't these folks understand? They should have looked at the deed before they bought the property.
Uhh, it was OVER the easement and 2 feet passed the property line. And, a retaining wall (the ugliest retaining wall possible)??? Actually, since TV and HSI is NOT an essential service, not sure easements can be used for whatever they hell AT&T wants.

AT&T
Your UGLY New Retaining Wall. Delivered.
--
Saving the world keeps me busy. However, I find Earth very primitive from my home planet of Krypton.
-Supergirl

GemSnake
Premium
join:2000-10-19
3rd layer

Somebody, punch her!

What a selfish bitch! 400 people will benefit from it and she's raising hell. Burn her at the steak!!!
--
"In a fight between you and the world, bet on the world." - Franz Kafka

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to burgermeister

said by burgermeister:

So, I could start a 'utility' and install anything in people's yard?? I'm no expert, but I don't think they can put anything on the easement they want.
The telephone company can put telephone equipment there. The cable company can put cable equipment there. It doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing.

The utility wouldn't be able to put something there that wasn't part of their business to provide utility service. e.g., they couldn't put an oil well there.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
reply to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

What part of "utility easement" don't these folks understand? They should have looked at the deed before they bought the property.
Agree 100%. But it's the age of entitlement. People really believe strongly that they are entitled to what they FEEL they are entitled to.

Best example I know is right here in Austin, TX. We had an old airport close in to town and we got a new one far outside of town. One of the big reasons for moving it? Because the homeowners and neighborhood associations near the old airport complained, complained, complained that they BOUGHT HOUSES BY AN AIRPORT and now they had to put up with AIRPLANE NOISES. Of course their complaint was "when I bought the house it wasn't this bad!" Well, Austin grew, airport traffic grew.

Rather than the city telling them to stuff it, the city believed they would have to pay a huge amount of money to essentially rebuild thousands of houses to soundproof them.

Insane, isn't it.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

1 recommendation

reply to forrestin

said by forrestin:

I'll take ten of those boxes if it means that I can get away from dialup. I'm tired of people complaining about how things look. If only AT&T cared enough to go into the rural areas of the country and install service.
There are ways to deploy broadband solutions without ruining property values and how a neighborhood looks. Broadband is nice, but when the property value drops a couple thousand dollars, it ain't frigging worth it!! All so a company can make a shitload of money off YOUR loss.

-Tzale
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not true conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL 2008 »www.usconstitution.net/const.html

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro
reply to Riplin

Re: who cares what they look like

said by Riplin:

Yes I am an owner and I would take one of those boxes but like I said it would have to benefit me.
People on this site are generally geeks... But I'm also a geek that likes companies to FOLLOW the law and not place THEIR equipment illegally on my property and also for them to take all steps necessary not to LOWER my property value!!!
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not true conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL 2008 »www.usconstitution.net/const.html

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

Ummm... No, sorry.
Your wrong. It was 2 feet over the property line!!!

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro
reply to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

said by burgermeister:

So, I could start a 'utility' and install anything in people's yard?? I'm no expert, but I don't think they can put anything on the easement they want.
The telephone company can put telephone equipment there. The cable company can put cable equipment there. It doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing.

The utility wouldn't be able to put something there that wasn't part of their business to provide utility service. e.g., they couldn't put an oil well there.
And the local town can argue that the boxes are ugly and request / demand that the company change their installation methods.

No broadband is worth a $10-30k loss in property values...

-Tzale
--

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40
reply to burgermeister
said by burgermeister:

said by Bobcat79:

That doesn't give them the right to put any old piece of crap on the easement. There has to be some limit.
If they can put a nice large telephone pole on my property, they can put a box on yours. For the short time I was a service tech I had to fight my way through the bushes people planted to hide our boxes. I'm sure many of these boxes can be like wise hidden.
--
RIP my baby Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07 Buttons, Buttons video

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to GemSnake

Re: Somebody, punch her!

said by GemSnake:

What a selfish bitch! 400 people will benefit from it and she's raising hell. Burn her at the steak!!!
"Benefit?" I'm willing to bet 80-90% of those serviced could give two shits that they will have faster broadband... Sounds to me like AT&T just decided a box must go there, and they didn't pay any attention to the homeowners wishes... That is NOT the correct way to do business... But if you ever attended "Running a Corporation 101," then I guess it is standard practice... Too bad that most people have been conditioned to this.

When the power company ripped out an old pole infront of my house and didn't replace all the grass they messed up, they were forced to come back out and replace the grass..

--

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
reply to MyDogHsFleas

Not only that, but I believe that there was more than one vote on the matter. Those that wanted the airport moved just kept putting it on the ballot until it finally passed. I was really impressed with the complaint of noise when you move next to an inservice airport.

Yes, Austin spent tons of money reinventing the airport at a closed Air Force Base.

BTW, it is possible to get used to the noise at an airport. I lived, at one time, off the end of the runway where B-52's were stationed, and if you think commercial airliners are noisy, try that.

DiscardedVet
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Sturgis, SD

1 recommendation

reply to yock

said by yock:

To those of you who say you don't mind a metal box

My money is on the fact that they don't mind when it is only a matter of "saying so" on a forum. Should a metal box appear next week in THEIR front yard, I'de bet they would be here, with pics, bitchin' about it.

--
Bush is the Prez....Think Patriot Act II....This outspoken dissident....In jail I'll be soon.

rahvin112

join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT
reply to burgermeister

You are wrong. If there is a utility easement that is specified as generic then any utility can use it. More than likely it's specified as an easement for ATT. They can put anything in the easement they want as they essentially own the ground.

Now according to the article they built 2' outside the easement, that's a different story all together.

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to DiscardedVet

said by DiscardedVet:

said by yock:

To those of you who say you don't mind a metal box

My money is on the fact that they don't mind when it is only a matter of "saying so" on a forum. Should a metal box appear next week in THEIR front yard, I'de bet they would be here, with pics, bitchin' about it.

Or they don't mind it being in their parents yard. I think I get your drift. =)

michaelp95
Premium
join:2001-08-23
Tucson, AZ

ugly box = free service

I'd take the ugly boxes, provided they gave me and any future owners of the property free service for life, very small price for them to pay for potential 300-400 customers who will pay.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Tzale

Re: who cares what they look like

So geek on over to a real estate law site and read up on utility easements. These companies aren't breaking the law; homeowners are generally idiots and don't realize what is and is not allowed according to zoning, easement, and other local regulations.

The homeowners in question should have armed themselves with knowledge of what easements existed on their property when they purchased it.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to tim_k

said by tim_k:

said by burgermeister:

said by Bobcat79:

That doesn't give them the right to put any old piece of crap on the easement. There has to be some limit.
If they can put a nice large telephone pole on my property, they can put a box on yours. For the short time I was a service tech I had to fight my way through the bushes people planted to hide our boxes. I'm sure many of these boxes can be like wise hidden.
Not with that huge concrete wall around it.

My local ILEC hid all their BPON fiber equipment in a fenced in enclosure. It's a very nice, wooden enclosure, open to the street, but in between two subdivisions. It was thought out pretty well and looks good.

My guess is AT&T doesn't care about the aesthetics and just places it where they have an easement that is close enough to the optimal point.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
reply to nevtxjustin

Re: One word...

We demand a ... SHRUBBERY! (cue dramatic music)
--
The public is a poor business manager.

NickD
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Tzale

100/100 would cost much more per year than the reduction in your property value if the box weren't there. If I were searching for a home, and someone told me the box in front of the house was for FiOS, I would be more inclined to buy that house because it has FiOS available.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk

join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI
reply to MrMoody

Re: One word...

Actually, the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch would take care of that at&t box nicely!
--
"I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm."

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

Do your homework

In years past most utilities were installed in the back yard between lots on telephone poles. This was particularly popular where homes were built back to back. That allowed one cable run to serve twice as many proprieties as placing utilities in the front of homes. Eventually the Federal Government required that all utilities be buried. That resulted in a problem when the property owner dug up their back yard for any reason and cut cables. In recent years many developers have chosen to place all utilities at the front of the property. The advantage is that the service personnel do not have to go into the back yard of the home to connect or disconnect service. These problems can be resolved if one does their homework.
1) Check with the building department that serves your area to determine what size an object, installed in the utility easement must be, to be considered a structure. Structures fall under different regulations than cable terminals boxes and telephone poles. In some jurisdictions the location of equipment larger than a specified size must be review and approved before it can be installed.
2) Check the survey of your property to see if the equipment is installed within the utility easement. If it is installed extending beyond the easement the property owner can force the service provider to remove it or move it. This is particularly important when the footprint of the cabinet is larger than the utility easement.
3) If this is new route for a new service, find out if the utility easement is still in force on your property. In some cases a former property owner has obtain a release of easement from all utilities currently providing service in the area. If the release is recorded on the deed the utility easement is no longer in force and can no longer be used by utilities without permission or compensation of the homeowner. In the mid 80's a Cable Television Company attempting to compete against the incumbent CATV Company, had to abandon their efforts when they found that the routing of many of their cables passed through properties where the easements had already been abandoned. The company found that there was no way to determine if easements had been abandoned without reviewing the deed of every property along the route. The fiasco resulted in many lawsuits against the competitive cable company for damage to homeowners properties by contractors installing the new cable system.
4) Contact your local governmental representatives and ask them to pass regulations regarding the size of equipment installed in utility easements. A representative from a homeowners association can more easily obtain cooperation from the local government since the represent a large voting block. Remind the officials that if property values go down so does the property tax than can be levied on the property.