dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-04-09 11:29:02: User [user=koitsu] directs our attention to a Slashdot discussion about a flaw in 2Wire routers that was discovered last August, has been discussed in our forums extensively, and seen by our users in the wild -- but still hasn't been fixed by 2Wire. ..

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

2Wire is a PITA

They only are willing to sell product to huge ISPs, and now they don't fix their security problems? Bah.

We've tried to buy equipment from 2Wire three times now, and each time it's been months of "ya, we should be able to sell to you" (in 10,000/yr volume), then "oh, shoot, we're not going to be able to do that as it turns out, ten thousand units a year just isn't big enough for us to bother". 2Wire has been a huge waste of time.

-Dane

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

Re: 2Wire is a PITA

They sell them at Bestbuy

DSL12steps
join:2001-12-24

DSL12steps

fun times as an installer

Guess I have some work to do when I get home. Until now, I loved installing these routers for end users. I hope the next firmware upgrade fixes the issue.

Since I don't check the 2wire forum, I'm guessing that hard coding the DNS is going to help in the meantime. Or should I change to a 10.0.0.X type of scheme as well?

koolkid1563
MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+
MikroTik hAP AC

3 edits

koolkid1563

MVM

New Firmware for 3800 Series

AT&T has released new firmware for the 3800 series RG that they use for U-verse that completely fixes this problem. It is in the process of being deployed right now.

It seems nobody on here wants to believe it is fixed. Every time I post that they have fixed it, a new news post comes out saying they have done nothing and are not doing anything...The least that could happen is somebody acknowledge it and say they are working on it.
Burrens0
join:2006-01-17
Los Angeles, CA

Burrens0

Re: New Firmware for 3800 Series

I'm with koolkid. The latest firmware for the 3800 series RG (for the U-Verse RG at least) has fixed the security flaw.
sasparilla
join:2008-04-09
Round Lake, IL

sasparilla to koolkid1563

to koolkid1563
said by koolkid1563:

It is in the process of being deployed right now.

It seems nobody on here wants to believe it is fixed. Every time I post that they have fixed it, a new news post comes out saying they have done nothing and are not doing anything.
The main problem here is that the update is only available to some people, apparently. My exploitable 2Wire/AT&T 2701 doesn't see any firmware update available, when checked, while another user has been able to update to a newer fixed version for his 2701.

So there's going to be people saying its not fixed because they don't have access to the fix yet - thank you AT&T/2Wire.

nosoup4me
@sbcglobal.net

nosoup4me to koolkid1563

Anon

to koolkid1563
It may very well be fixed for the 3800, but certainly not for the 1xxx series. My 1800HG has firmware 4.25.19, and it tells me I have the latest version, but sure enough it's just as easily hacked today as it was when this problem surfaced a year ago.

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

2 edits

jgkolt

Premium Member

opendns

What i have wanted to do is to bypass the default dns settings and use open dns's but i cant find anywhere in the router control panel to change it. So i guess ill keep the rest of the pcs on the network through a secondary router.
EDIT: I have the 3800hgv-b model fyi

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto
join:2001-02-10
USA

bigunk

Re: opendns

Just give me a way to turn one of these things into a bridge, so I can use a real router to deal with my network.
EmpireDD
join:2004-08-25
Bedford, TX

EmpireDD

I am with you. I use Sonicwall Pro 2040. I have to set it up with the Sonicwall inside the 2Wire using their DHCP and NAT. I would like to(Bridge)pass all ports and IPs through to the firewall so I can incorporate my own NAT, Stateful Pk Inspection,Authentication ... etc.
I have noticed my public IP has remained the same since install. I sure could use one more to assign to the firewall for hardware VPN on the Sonicwall. Can anyone give me some advice on this?
BeeTea1250
join:2006-06-08
UK

BeeTea1250

said by EmpireDD:

I am with you. I use Sonicwall Pro 2040. I have to set it up with the Sonicwall inside the 2Wire using their DHCP and NAT. I would like to(Bridge)pass all ports and IPs through to the firewall so I can incorporate my own NAT, Stateful Pk Inspection,Authentication ... etc.
I have noticed my public IP has remained the same since install. I sure could use one more to assign to the firewall for hardware VPN on the Sonicwall. Can anyone give me some advice on this?
»2 Wire »Bridging the 2wire and PPPoE (Disabling Router)

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7 to bigunk

Premium Member

to bigunk
I don't know which 2Wire model you have but below is a FAQ describing how to "Bridge" a 2Wire 2701HG-B Wireless Gateway.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Bridge Mode for the 2Wire 2701HG-B

Empire DD
@pacbell.net

Empire DD

Anon

Thanks for the timely response. I still have the same problem because I have a 2Wire 3800HGV-B which does not resemble the other 2WIREs. I am unable to find the commands to turn off NAT, DHCP and turn off Bridging. I may be entering the console from the wrong place but I have used the /management or /mdc and the console does not give me the options neccessary to change the bridging.

Thanks in advance
AquaSport
California - Sun, Surf, Traffic Jams
join:2007-05-03
California

AquaSport

A simple fix...

either use a different router (you don't HAVE to get at&t's wireless networking service), pickup one cheap at bestbuy ($30 or less), or, if at&t allows this, exchange it for one that dosn't have the flaw.

personally, i wouldn't feel right using comcast's home networking service, because they can theoretically do whatever they want to your router, whether it be monitoring it for "suspicious" activities (piracy, etc.), or change settings - as i would assume.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

Most combo units = POS

Forget about "easy" and "convenient", those all-in-one modem/router units can go in the garbage.

Nothing beats the flexibility and performance of a dedicated modem and router.

jr9730
join:2000-11-22
Torrance, CA

jr9730

Re: Most combo units = POS

For the masses - you will NOT see a new firmware update as it is not sending out a new firmware change, it is fixing settings by their management systems.