dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-04-10 10:46:34: Verizon yesterday filed suit against Time Warner Cable for this and other ads the cable company has been running in FiOS territories. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

VideoGuy
@verizon.net

VideoGuy to elbm

Anon

to elbm

Re: Time Warners claim is 100% accurate.....

Then why do VZ and AT&T lease fiber from cable companies every day in virtually every major market in the country? There are more MSO operated OC pipes leased by Bell hauling tandem and CO traffic than most of you guys could even dream of. In fact, it may be no small irony to learn that many of you with Bell phone have your LD calls handled by cable fiber every day. And yes, it is the same network they use for their tv, internet and phone business for consumers. If the cable fiber was so inferior, why do you think a growing percentage of cell sites get back-hauled on cable fiber? (THERE's a few news article for you journalists out there). Fiber is fiber, folks. What matters is how competent the companies are at building and managing that fiber.

Until I see fiber running from the CO into my modem or my set top box, it's all HFC, baby. All of it. Period. It goes from glass to a box to coax or cat-5.
VideoGuy

VideoGuy to Jerkface

Anon

to Jerkface

Re: This is expected....

Don't be so hasty. Remember that VZ is running FiOS ads in markets that are not even close to being built all the way out, so many of the people who see this ad can only get DSL and a Dish bundled. And you'd better believe if you call for FiOS and you can't get it, they'll be glad to cross sell that call into a Dish bundle. I would bet that upwards of 40-50% of all Verizon territory homes that see FiOS ads can't get FiOS service.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to hopeflicker

to hopeflicker

Re: Time Warners claim is 100% accurate.....

TWC does not say they're system is direct to the door. Just says they have a fiber optic network. Thats the thing. They are well within their rights to say they have it. They just don't say how much of it is. But its only maybe a few hundred feet thats not fiber.

But on another note VZ is just pissed at TWC about their Digital phone and other services

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

TWC does not say they're system is direct to the door. Just says they have a fiber optic network. Thats the thing. They are well within their rights to say they have it. They just don't say how much of it is. But its only maybe a few hundred feet thats not fiber.

But on another note VZ is just pissed at TWC about their Digital phone and other services
Yes, i agree with ya. They do have fiber in their system. My whole rant here is they are misleading people to think that they have **FIBER** like Verizon does, when in fact, they DONT.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to Technogeez

to Technogeez
No, I haven't.. but there are 2 on top of homes right next door to me. The one guy has his on his 1st level roof, said he had some "jitters" during a windy storm (lots of trees that could have caused this). The other guy, had it for 3 years said he's never had anything go wrong except when his tuner failed. I'm sure that short of a flock of 747's flying over or some squirrel parking is big fat butt in front of the LNB device, signal dropouts seem to be few if not far far between. Heck, I'm sure it's more reliable then my VoIP service I had with plutorocket (aka sunrocket).
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to patcat88

to patcat88
Lazy and unsupervised technicians obviously.

Are you trying to imply such a thing wouldn't happen with Verizon? Be real.

I'm neither for cable or telco here, I'm just being realistic. Both have their faults, but neither one as a whole is stupid.

You can't fault an entire company for what a few soon to be unemployed or currently unemployed techs do. And that is my point.
Lazlow
join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

Lazlow

Employees are going to be employees, regardless of who employs them. But, if you can reduce the number of things that can go wrong it is more likely that the average employee will be able to figure out the problem. If you have a device with ten parts and a competing product with 100 parts, which one are you better off using? All things break down. The fewer things that can break down the easier it is to figure out the problem. Cable just has too many things that can go wrong between the house and the head end. Fiber has things that can break down as well, but they are far fewer in number and even the ones that are there are not as susceptible to partial failure. When fiber hardware fails it is usually dead, pretty much go or no go. When cable fails it can sorta work. When you get 50 things in somebody's connection chain that sorta work (most peoples), how do you find the one that is not sorta working enough?
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to hopeflicker

to hopeflicker
they're not misleading because they don't state how far the fiber goes into their network. And out of VZ's footprint how much of it is actually FTTH?

TWC has MORE Fiber in their network than VZ

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

they're not misleading because they don't state how far the fiber goes into their network. And out of VZ's footprint how much of it is actually FTTH?

TWC has MORE Fiber in their network than VZ
Are they not comparing it to FIOS? You know they are.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to Morac

Premium Member

to Morac

Re: Ads are way off

If fiber isn't in your home you don't have fiber. End of B.S.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next