dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-04-29 16:40:22: After lengthy, closed door negotiations between Mayor Bloomberg and Verizon, the city today announced they've agreed to Verizon's citywide franchise plan. ..

htin11
join:2000-08-10
Flushing, NY

htin11

other boughs

10% for the other boughs? bs
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

Meeting Date of 5/20!

How about including the meeting date of 5/20! It's in the AP story:

The agreement must be approved by the city's Franchise and Concession Review Committee, which scheduled a public hearing for May 20.

1st step of a long process!

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

2011 to 2014

At least we have a target to shoot for...
newyorkslick
join:2001-12-19
Rosedale, NY

newyorkslick

FiOS is more gooder than TwC

I signed up last week in Rosedale, Queens and I'm lovin it, but it would be nice if they hurried up with the FIOSTV so I can ditch Directv already.

But I'm afraid once all is said and done, not only will all of NYC have FiOS, our bills will double as well. Talk about a FiOS monopoly...

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

KrK

Premium Member

Only $259.95 a month!

Only $259.95 a month!*

*If you also sign up for other forced bundling services, otherwise normal rate ($329.99) applies.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to newyorkslick

Mod

to newyorkslick

Re: FiOS is more gooder than TwC

This most likely will not mean lower rates at all, especially with the recent price increases Verizon has rolled out. It's a nice theory to challenge TWC but I still don't think the consumer will win out in the end.
w1zard
join:2001-12-22
Paradise, PA

1 recommendation

w1zard to KrK

to KrK

Re: Only $259.95 a month!

Ahhahahaha Verizon promises...worth less than nothing. We here in Pa are still awaiting our promised coverage.

hurfy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

hurfy

Premium Member

I wonder

Did NYC check to make sure Verizon didn't have their fingers crossed when they said 100% or did they say it with an asterisk??

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

Jovi

Premium Member

Is this before or after

Verizon ponies up the billions Pennsylvania gave to them to wire up the state?
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude

define "100%"

I'm guessing verizon has (or will have) their own special definition of 100% by the time 2014 rolls around.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

WGAS

I mean really. Who gives a big RATS a$$? Now, if they said all 10 markets (or whatever ever the small number is, I pulled 1o out of my rear) they are deployed in, then it might just get back page press.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

I remember Pennsylvania got similar promises

And we know how all that worked out.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by Dogfather:

And we know how all that worked out.
Yeah, in like 1995!
NYC Girl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

1 edit

NYC Girl to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

said by KrK:

Only $259.95 a month!*

*If you also sign up for other forced bundling services, otherwise normal rate ($329.99) applies.
Ha, ha, then TWC will up their speeds to 100+megs and we won't need to switch and will probably be cheaper too!!
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to w1zard

to w1zard
You got your coverage years ago. If you call up Verizon right now and order a T3, will they give it to you or say no (regardless of price)?
patcat88

patcat88 to Jovi

to Jovi

Re: Is this before or after

Verizon did wire PA. All you have to do it call up and order a T3 and you will get your fiber service.
patcat88

patcat88 to tc1uscg

to tc1uscg

Re: WGAS

28% of Verizon customers can get FIOS. »Re: haha

FIOS is not an employee only or trial of 20 customers. Its real. 28% is a very large amount of work Verizon did.
patcat88

patcat88 to Dogfather

to Dogfather

Re: I remember Pennsylvania got similar promises

It worked great. I can call Verizon and order a T3 tomorrow if I want.

Dread
On course
Premium Member
join:2005-02-28
Bronx, NY

Dread

Premium Member

Sweet so all I have to do is wait 6 years!
Sorry Verizon you played the game wrong and lost many customers to your competitors in NYC.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

Till then

TWC wil gladly accept Verizon DSL subscribers hungry for speed and reliable network. DSL in NYC degraded.

seadone1
@bellsouth.net

seadone1

Anon

Who does the FIOS installations and repairs?

I am a technician in South Florida(former BellSouth territory-now AT&T's).
Who does the installations and repairs for Verizon's FIOS?
Is it done by Union represented techs or non-union represented techs?
Another question-does Verizon use premise techs(from NID to CPE) and facility techs(from NID to C.O.)? Or both?
I am VERY interested in knowing.
THANKS!
Sincerely, fellow Union represented tech in South Florida.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

3 edits

Dogfather to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88

Re: I remember Pennsylvania got similar promises

said by patcat88:

It worked great. I can call Verizon and order a T3 tomorrow if I want.
You obviously aren't familiar with what Chapter 30 required. T3 doesn't meet the requirements.

Chapter 30 required the speed on their ACCESS LINES and in addition those speeds had to be available within 5 days of customer order which Verizon doesn't do for Tx services.

And they were happy to make the agreement because at the time Bell was planning FTTP but abandoned it »newscenter.verizon.com/p ··· 29607541 . Later on, VZ claimed at ADSL meets the Chap 30 requirements even though it doesn't.

Of course even Verizon isn't silly enough to say that a T3 would comply »www22.verizon.com/about/ ··· dex.html and they acknowledge that to this day they still don't comply with Chap 30 by virtue of their loop limitation disclaimers at the bottom of the page. Meanwhile their ADSL DSL services don't meet the Chapter 30 definition of broadband anyway being Chapter 30 defined broadband at 1.5/1.5.

petitionnyc
@151.200.191.x

petitionnyc

Anon

sign

www.nytvchoice.com

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

1 edit

Pathfinder5 to seadone1

Premium Member

to seadone1

Re: Who does the FIOS installations and repairs?

In New York FIOS is installed by union techs. One tech does the whole job. We have no BACCSI here.
satellite68
join:2007-04-11
Louisville, KY

satellite68 to patcat88

to patcat88

said by patcat88:

You got your coverage years ago. If you call up Verizon right now and order a T3, will they give it to you or say no (regardless of price)?
»Verizon Vs. Pennsylvania

No, they didn't.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to patcat88

to patcat88

Re: WGAS

That's my point. They have spent BILLIONS on deployment and they haven't even scratched the surface. I mean, look at where they are. NY, NJ. Why not Chicago, Detroit, Ft Worth. LA... The numbers in those places says a lot. They don't seem to be too quick in marketing FiOS in places where "other" providers already have the market nailed down. Heck, AT&T's U-verse will end up catching up and passing number of customers in a couple of years.

datguy4
@verizon.net

datguy4 to seadone1

Anon

to seadone1

Re: Who does the FIOS installations and repairs?

In the Northeast all the techs recieve the same pay. There are no "premise" only techs or facility only techs.

All the techs are CWA and everybody makes the same top wages. From CO techs (including frame) to cable splicers.
hrickpa
join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA

hrickpa to w1zard

to w1zard

where I live in PA there is a lot of telecom theft (tapping into someone else's phone to get free services). if Verizon is worried about loosing money they need to crack down on people that are stealing or lock their access panels to prevent this.
now I have someone listening in to my phone calls.